• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This week on QC...

Now departing the USS MartenClaire *bell rings*
- 122 (56.7%)
Jephizba trolls us all, hallowed be the trollmaster's name.
- 32 (14.9%)
Spatheham and Clairemom Pancakes
- 7 (3.3%)
A solid week of Steve eating cereal
- 9 (4.2%)
Martenmom and Clairemom team up and fight crime/meddle in their children's personal lives
- 45 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 195

Voting closed: 09 Oct 2014, 22:04

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2806-2810 (6th - 10th October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 312659 times)

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

So what exactly happened with #2808? It was leaked, but now it's gone? Will it still be tomorrow's comic, or was it some sort of mistake that will never be posted and never be canon now?

And if the latter is the case, is it screen-capped somewhere?

Pretty sure it was put up early by accident. You can still see it if you change the comic number in the address bar to 2808, although hitting the Next button on the front page doesn't work.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

I can see and understand some of the criticism of the storyline to this point, but I guess there's no way everyone is going to be 100% happy with the execution of a major plot development in a well-loved story.  It may have happened too easily or quickly for some tastes, it may seem completely implausible to others.

That said, sometimes all you've got is "here's what happened," to borrow a line from Stephen King.  Barring someone waking up from a rather involved dream, this is what happened.  There may be details that get filled in later and there may not be, but whether by walking, driving, flying, or teleportation - here we are.

I happen to be really, really happy with what happened, so I understand in advance if my bias is challenged.  :claireface:
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

The place I get vegan French toast at puts butter and powdered sugar on them, then provides a carafe of syrup to dip in. It is simultaneously too much and perfection.
Wouldn't that make them non-vegan?  :?

No, it is earth balance, but it's slower to type the full brand name

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

That's what I was seriously expecting from Martin anyway.  Becoming a grownup.  And that's why I'm a bit let down if, as people said, this is what Martin's new "decisiveness" boiled down to.

Personally, I think that the mistake that some posters are making (and I made it too) is that we all forgot that Marten's growing up has been going on all the time. It arguably started as far back as when Lt Porter called him an ass for avoiding Padma. He's since been slowly and certainly painfully sometimes, learning the importance to move forwards on his own initiative. He's seen how it is working out for others and he's seen how failing to do so has hurt them on occasion.

His experience with Claire is simply the final outcome. Claire's own situation and his general need to be protective of his friends meant that he couldn't be passive and let her set the pace. He had to take the initiative or there was no telling how badly she might be hurt. Once he set himself the intent of sorting things out (even if only after breakfast), his fairly quick internal monologue would have probably done the rest.

So, Claire isn't an end in of itself - It's one of the outcomes of him either reaching or approaching that end. We might see other outcomes, such as him doing more with Deathmole (maybe persuading Amir to hire a keyboardist and a vocalist as well as working on more songs)
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

"The place I get vegan French toast at puts butter and powdered sugar on them"

Do a lot of people order vegan food there only to de-veganify it with condiments? Is it the Irony Cafe?
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=14

I would like my vegan pancakes with eggs and bacon please!

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

Do a lot of people order vegan food there only to de-veganify it with condiments? Is it the Irony Cafe?

More than likely almond or soy butter if it's a vegan cafe. 
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

Almond butter sounds delicious.

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

Almond butter is okay, just a bit sweet compared to normal butter. But I've eaten a vegan breakfast before, the pancakes were actually pretty good. But the bacon and eggs...never again

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

I've heard it's pretty good but I can't just get rid of my regular butter.  Maybe I should, just so I can cut a source of fat out of my diet.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

T

Almond butter is okay, just a bit sweet compared to normal butter. But I've eaten a vegan breakfast before, the pancakes were actually pretty good. But the bacon and eggs...never again

This is what I don't understand about vegans. There are nearly unlimited variety of vegetal products but they keep making fake meat. Meat is not something that common in undeveloped poor areas and people make many interesting dishes with what they have available yet people ignore it all and keep advertising fake meat.

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

it could be the reason Jeph leaked the second comic quietly was because he knew there would be something of a discussion about how Marten would handle Claire's gender status, and he wanted to make it clear that Marten had given it some thought and was more concerned about Claire the person than, well, Claire the trans person. For now, end of that discussion.
Perhaps, it certainly is an important follow-on that isn't really much of a spoiler (whereas leaking the kiss would have been awful). A convenient accident, at least.

For those who keep asking about the not-so-missing comic you can still get there by direct link.

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

I've heard it's pretty good but I can't just get rid of my regular butter.  Maybe I should, just so I can cut a source of fat out of my diet.

Butter is actually healthier calorie wise for you than almond butter with the fat being around the same per serving

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

At my local vegan joint, they'd just bring you scrambled tofu and some god-awful soy-based abomination that they spray-painted pink in the prep room.

I like to eat vegan, but I HATE attempts at having items comparable to traditional animal-flesh fare. They're not making veganism better, they're just making bacon & eggs shitty.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I'm not in the habit of reviewing the relationships of fictional character, but I can't shake the feeling that this romance is more... real, somehow, than Marten's previous things. And above all, it feels like a relationship in which all Marten's strengths - his kindness, tolerance and general laid-backness - might shine more brightly than before.

It's in his eyes.  Those big, shiny blue eyes. 

When was the last time he blinked? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

T

Almond butter also have fat. So does peanut butter and nutella

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

So what exactly happened with #2808? It was leaked, but now it's gone?

It's uploaded, but not published through the web site.  There are multiple links to it back in the thread; or you can just click the Previous button and then edit the comic number in the URL to the number for tomorrow's post.

Thanks! I have no self-restraint, so after about 3 seconds of pretending I wasn't gonna read it, I read it, and OMG Woohoo!

T

I'm not in the habit of reviewing the relationships of fictional character, but I can't shake the feeling that this romance is more... real, somehow, than Marten's previous things. And above all, it feels like a relationship in which all Marten's strengths - his kindness, tolerance and general laid-backness - might shine more brightly than before.

It's in his eyes.  Those big, shiny blue eyes. 

When was the last time he blinked?
That was before he needed to blink. Now he is full machine and no longer is vulnerable to such weaknesses

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

Nut butters (hur hur) aren't really comparable to dairy butter though, right? I mean, not even close. I could imagine someone saying "butter" when they mean margarine, or even that Earth Balance garbage, but who just says "butter" when they mean peanut/almond/etc.?

No one, that's who.

I have hard opinions on things.

T

Nut butters (hur hur) aren't really comparable to dairy butter though, right? I mean, not even close. I could imagine someone saying "butter" when they mean margarine, or even that Earth Balance garbage, but who just says "butter" when they mean peanut/almond/etc.?

No one, that's who.

I think it follows the peanut butter trend. Probably they use butter as a word for a texture firmer than cream.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

No one, that's who.

I think it follows the peanut butter trend. Probably they use butter as a word for a texture firmer than cream.

Yeah, totally, but I think you always need to use some sort of indehiscent-related* modifier if you want anyone to know you're talking about something besides dairy butter or margarine.

*Why yes, I DID just read the Wikipedia entry for "Nuts."

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

At my local vegan joint, they'd just bring you scrambled tofu and some god-awful soy-based abomination that they spray-painted pink in the prep room.

I like to eat vegan, but I HATE attempts at having items comparable to traditional animal-flesh fare. They're not making veganism better, they're just making bacon & eggs shitty.

I try to eat one vegan meal a week, but still eat normally the rest of the week. But what they did to the bacon and eggs was a travesty, I could see the pan indents on the bottom of the tofu eggs and had to douse it in sriracha before it tasted like anything.

T

I should sell petroleum jelly as a dairy free/nut free/gluten free/soy free/allergen free/vegetable free/calorie free butter!

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

Huh, that's good to know.  Learning is awesome!

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Tuesday and up to 12 pages? Not bad.
Comic is going along nicely, right? I'm glad that Claire has overcome her anxiety so far and I'm looking forward to what happens next.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I should sell petroleum jelly as a dairy free/nut free/gluten free/soy free/allergen free/vegetable free/calorie free butter!
"She don't use jelly"
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

This is what I don't understand about vegans. There are nearly unlimited variety of vegetal products but they keep making fake meat. Meat is not something that common in undeveloped poor areas and people make many interesting dishes with what they have available yet people ignore it all and keep advertising fake meat.

I'm vegan and I never buy fake meat. Sometimes I buy vegan items which are shaped similarly to some meat items - such as vegan sausages, burgers or soya mince - but that is not fake meat. That is just the shape that food is. Pigs don't grow in sausage shapes.

The reason those products exist isn't because vegans demand them, but because a) the food industry generally lacks imagination and b) it is a lot more profitable to sell a wide range of speciality items rather than just vegetables, pulses and grains.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I'm vegan and I never buy fake meat. Sometimes I buy vegan items which are shaped similarly to some meat items - such as vegan sausages, burgers or soya mince - but that is not fake meat. That is just the shape that food is. Pigs don't grow in sausage shapes.

The reason those products exist isn't because vegans demand them, but because a) the food industry generally lacks imagination and b) it is a lot more profitable to sell a wide range of speciality items rather than just vegetables, pulses and grains.

I was going to say that about veggie patties and stuff but you worded it better than me.

As far as mock meats themselves, I do eat them. The 'fake meat' thing is kind of dumb, but the things used as fake meat- generally variations on seitan and soy products- have good texture to add to other dishes.

Regarding bacon (which is neither a product like seitan or a shape that food is), I think it's just a poorly-executed response to those meat eaters who go 'but BACON!?' to all vegetarians/vegans

eschaton

• Furry furrier

You are wrong in two points.
Yes, woman past 44 can get pregnenant. The chances are smaller but it is not even close to "cannot get" the main concern is on genetic problems like down's syndrome.

And I don't think Claire's mom look that old, she looks pretty youthful (and hot)

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/surrogate-mother-61-gives-birth-to-her-grandson/blogEntry?id=17151493&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com.br%2F

I said via their own eggs.  The woman in the linked article carried her daughter's pregnancy to term. 

My wife is 43.  I don't think you can't be hot at that age, or youthful.   :psyduck:  But I think the wrinkles around Clairemom's eyes are supposed to convey a somewhat older status.  Might be a tad younger than Martin's Mom at 56, but not much. 

Personally, I think that the mistake that some posters are making (and I made it too) is that we all forgot that Marten's growing up has been going on all the time. It arguably started as far back as when Lt Porter called him an ass for avoiding Padma. He's since been slowly and certainly painfully sometimes, learning the importance to move forwards on his own initiative. He's seen how it is working out for others and he's seen how failing to do so has hurt them on occasion.

His experience with Claire is simply the final outcome. Claire's own situation and his general need to be protective of his friends meant that he couldn't be passive and let her set the pace. He had to take the initiative or there was no telling how badly she might be hurt. Once he set himself the intent of sorting things out (even if only after breakfast), his fairly quick internal monologue would have probably done the rest.

So, Claire isn't an end in of itself - It's one of the outcomes of him either reaching or approaching that end. We might see other outcomes, such as him doing more with Deathmole (maybe persuading Amir to hire a keyboardist and a vocalist as well as working on more songs)

Marten's done a lot of thinking about being more decisive, but he hasn't really been any more decisive up until now.  Well, I suppose the one-night-stand thing was outside of his comfort zone, even if it was a failure.  Still, I wish he would apply it to his life beyond romance. 

I've had really good gravy based on almond butter (in Northampton actually!) but it would suck as a butter substitute. 

Earth Balance pretty much tastes just like butter.  At least I think so.  It's been 18 years since I've become vegan, so it's not like I remember butter all that well. 

To each their own.  I mean, I went through a period when I was first a vegetarian (I was one for four years before becoming a vegan) where I lived on veggie burgers.  Now I think they're gross.  I eat fake meat more than I'd like since my daughter likes soy nuggets, but for the most part I don't try it save for novelty.  Except for veggie beef type things - I frankly think they're disgusting.  I'll cook them for my wife, but no way will I eat them myself.  I'd much prefer to get my protein through straight-up seitan, tofu, or tempeh. 

Really though, if you're a vegan for ethical reasons, why wouldn't you feel comfortable with cruelty-free substitutes? 

qqemokitty

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

OOOOMMMGGGGG IM SO HAPPPPYYYYY!

I've been reading QC for what seems like a million years but I don't think any storyline has kept me so on the edge of my seat and so damn happy when what I wanted to happen, happened. Like others, I signed up JUST to express my ridiculous level of SQUEE.

Please don't let this be Claire dreaming, or I will cry. >.>

billydaking

• Plantmonster

But IMHO it's kind of offensive to say what he was looking to fill the hole was a woman.  It especially becomes clear if you think about the genders being flipped around - if Marten was a girl who was fluttering around aimlessly, and then a man completed her.  Marten's main issue is he's a full on grownup with no plan for the future.  He doesn't want to go to grad school, he doesn't seem interested in a real job, and basically has nothing but vague dreams of being a musician he doesn't try too hard on.  He's a reasonably smart dude with no ambition. 

Maybe Claire can give him the support he needs to actually, you know, stop acting like a boy and become a man.  But it would have been so much more rewarding to see Martin genuinely grow up while he was single than to do it under Claire's tutelage.  Sort of similar to how Faye did so much improvement of herself while being single before Angus ever came into the picture.

That's what I was seriously expecting from Martin anyway.  Becoming a grownup.  And that's why I'm a bit let down if, as people said, this is what Martin's new "decisiveness" boiled down to.

Going to be blunt...I'm just revolted in this way of thinking. Marten was not "looking for a hole to fill". That's not what happened here, and this an inhumane interpretation. It's not about being "completed" or about "decisiveness" .

Life throws you things, whether you're ready or not. For the past few years in the comic, Marten has been learning to deal with those curveballs, and more and more, he's been the one his friends have been coming to when they've got something going on. If you haven't noticed that change, that's unfortunate, because it's one of the best things of the comic these days. Claire's reveal of her feelings for Marten was the latest thing, probably the most important thing, and he reacted in a way that's far more grownup and mature than any of the other characters have shown so far in similar situations.

Yeah, Marten still hasn't figured out what to do with his life. Got news for you....the vast majority of people never do. How many people actually use their college degree? How many people actually manage to achieve whatever life plan they concoct when they're in their mid-20s? Most drift from job to job finding something we enjoy doing that pays the bills and buys a little freedom. It's what we actually do in the time we have and with the people we're given that makes our life and leaves our memory. You paint Marten as a near-worthless, listless man, yet you never consider the value of his life to Faye, Nora, Tai, and Hanners. The man is better than you're painting, and so is his life.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

My wife is 43.  I don't think you can't be hot at that age, or youthful.   :psyduck:  But I think the wrinkles around Clairemom's eyes are supposed to convey a somewhat older status.  Might be a tad younger than Martin's Mom at 56, but not much. 

I've been assuming that Claire's mom is roughly twice Claire's age, which would make her 48, more or less. And incidentally the same age as my wife.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

"She don't use jelly"

In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

AliceGroove

• Not quite a lurker

As a longtime lurker (and longer-time reader of QC) I can officially say that the amount of "Squee" has reached critical levels. Though, after the weekend of waiting I just had... I'm simply glad the power of pancakes was able to supersede the gravitational pull of Steve's Cereal.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

As a longtime lurker (and longer-time reader of QC) I can officially say that the amount of "Squee" has reached critical levels. Though, after the weekend of waiting I just had... I'm simply glad the power of pancakes was able to supersede the gravitational pull of Steve's Cereal.

You must be the first user to have a surname related to the new comic series, and you have also simultaneously discovered the coolest one that will ever exist related to it. Kudos, mu'fucka.

AliceGroove

• Not quite a lurker

You must be the first user to have a surname related to the new comic series, and you have also simultaneously discovered the coolest one that will ever exist related to it. Kudos, mu'fucka.

Xie xie. I figured with the timing of my arrival I could either go the Claire-Marten squee-factory route, or jump in the deep-end with a reference to Jeph's new venture.

Hopefully it catches on and we can look forward to more wind-turbine related dramatics in the future. I'm sure they'll help keep the new comic cool.  :claireface:

...or....not.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

Second post on the forums and it has a pun in it?  You'll fit right in.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Xie xie. I figured with the timing of my arrival I could either go the Claire-Marten squee-factory route, or jump in the deep-end with a reference to Jeph's new venture.

Hopefully it catches on and we can look forward to more wind-turbine related dramatics in the future. I'm sure they'll help keep the new comic cool.  :claireface:

...or....not.

You can definitely stay.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Usually fake meat from a store is horrid  and I avoid it with thee notable exception being Soyrizo.  If you like the Mexican Chorizo, this stuff is just about indistinguishable from what I used eat.  But most of the fake meat is just depressing.

Another exception is The Chicago Diner.  I can personally vouch that the Country Fried Steak is amazing and delicious.  I almost applied for the dishwasher job just to get my foot in the door there.  150 miles is a reasonable commute right?

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese

No one, that's who.

And not just nuts.  Say hello to my friend apple butter, completely unlike butter yet a loudly obnoxious partner in crime that elevates toast from meh to marvelous (especially when paired with, you got it, butter).

Please, sir, may I have some more?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Moderator Comment Regarding a removed post:
Thanks to a certain four people (you know who you are) - my phone was buzzing with report mails.
Thanks everyone else for not engaging.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

vforvancouver

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.

Genius!
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Except it wouldn't actually be calorie free...

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Veggie burgers are not fake meat. Round is not a meat shape, it is a food shape.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

Veggie burgers are not fake meat. Round is not a meat shape, it is a food shape.

I think veggie burgers are a gray area. They approximate the experience of eating a (ham)burger, but really, why should beef have a monopoly on a patty between two pieces of bread? I have a dynamite lentil-mushroom burger I got from vegan/ultrarunner Scott Jurek, if you're interested.

I was talking more about sausages and bacon made to actually look like sausage links (not just just the tube of crumbly protein bits) and bacon strips. Or seitan "steak" strips. The kind of vegan food you find at a store like Safeway that has no clue what it's doing and, I imagine falls prey to distributors from crappy outfits like Morningstar Farms.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

It really depends on whether or not they are trying to approximate the texture and taste of some meat product. I've had some awesome veggie burgers... and those who tried to be beef-like that were just nasty. But I've also had "beef" crumbles that were really good to replace meat in things like tacos or  chili. I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I do try to keep a more sensible, healthier diet when I can. The idea of making vegan products look and taste like meat just seems to be missing the mark. You aren't going to trick people into eating your stuff if they want to eat meat. And it's of limited comfort to provide fake meat to those who would rather be eating meat but for whatever reason can't or won't. Embrace the diversity and flavors of your product, don't try to mask them as something else...

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

It really depends on whether or not they are trying to approximate the texture and taste of some meat product. I've had some awesome veggie burgers... and those who tried to be beef-like that were just nasty. But I've also had "beef" crumbles that were really good to replace meat in things like tacos or  chili. I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I do try to keep a more sensible, healthier diet when I can. The idea of making vegan products look and taste like meat just seems to be missing the mark. You aren't going to trick people into eating your stuff if they want to eat meat. And it's of limited comfort to provide fake meat to those who would rather be eating meat but for whatever reason can't or won't. Embrace the diversity and flavors of your product, don't try to mask them as something else...

Totally. And for those who are doing it for healthy eating purposes, it's not really worth the trouble; that stuff is crammed full of preservatives and artificial crap. I was a vegetarian for several years because I was in the midst of training for some high-endurance activities and was convinced I'd be better of eliminating meat. I'm now convinced that eating whole foods (note the lowercase) is way more important than arbitrarily eliminating meat if you're still going to eat processed stuff. I eat meat like three times a week now, and it's just right for me.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I don't understand why veggie burgers are a grey area for you. A round patty shape is a very efficient way of cooking protein, whether that's meat-derived protein or pulse-derived protein. I make the World's Most Delicious Vegan Burgers with bulgur wheat, beans and mushrooms, and they are round to go inside bread buns (but if I don't have round bread, then I could make them rectangular to go in between slices of rectangular bread, I guess).

I absolutely agree with you about the stuff that is deliberately made to be as close as possible to looking and tasting like actual meat, but as a result is packed full of artificial rubbish. The fact is, though, that we live in societies which base their diet around meat, and often it is easier to vegetarianise/veganise a recipe by buying something that is as close as possible to the meat in the ingredient list. It takes creativity to decide what element of that meat ingredient (texture, flavour, nutritional makeup, appearance etc) you want to retain and find a real food alternative. Sometimes it's easier to grab a bag of soya mince.

Tub

• Plantmonster

Q: what's more difficult to draw than hands?
A: a kiss.

It looks like neither of them are tilting their head sideways! Either their noses permeate each other, or their lips aren't touching!
(Yes, I know, it's difficult to miss these important details when you're busy squeeeeeing. I don't blame you.)

I like to imagine that claire is just new at this, and with her eyes closed, she's completely missing his face and ends up on his shoulder. But nah, that'd ruin an otherwise beautiful moment.
(Then again, I also really really like to read #2804 without the fourth panel. The look on his face in the third panel says it all: "I broke into your house and brought you pancakes!" ;))

Yeah. I like the arc. Wrt marten's character development, he has taken step after step, lesson after lesson to get where he is now. It was neither a sudden character change to get them to hook up, nor do I expect the development to stop after he got the girl. Jeph certainly has a plan, and I can only guess how much fun he had watching the community squirm over the last few strips. And squee today.

Some have said that Marten has been smoother than any human can be. Probably. And Claire was way less freaked out than she usually would. That's fine. For once, let Jeph and his characters and all the squeesquad have their one perfect fairy-tale moment. With all the things Jeph puts them through for the sake of the narrative, they deserve that.

Ah, whatever. I just may squee a little. All the cool kids are doing it. The ship's left port and it'll be an interesting voyage. Marten's all grown up and he finally knows what he wants in a woman. Claire is inexperienced, but she's a smart woman, and with all the soul-searching her transition has forced her to do, I think she's better prepared than anyone of us was for their first relationship. Everything else she will learn, and Marten's patience and understanding are just what she needs for that.
There are several indications that this relationship won't turn sexual anytime soon, which leaves more time for actual healthy interaction and bonding. It's important to get that done before the initial hormone-dominated everything-is-butterflys-phase ends[1].
As always, there are blocks along the road - her anxieties, his career - but none of them are dealbreaking, and they both seem ready to tackle them. They got together for all the right reasons, and if they do this right, it could last forever. Time (and Jeph) will tell.

[1] Without going into too much speculation, Marigold and Dale might have a problem there. If watching anime, playing WoW and having sex is all they do, that may yield a strong emotional bond, but not an intellectual one. A longterm relationship needs both, with the latter becoming more important the longer the relationship lasts.

Gnomeybum

• Not quite a lurker

Yoooo, has anyone speculated about the odd titles for the comics yet? Today's is 'Nose Grows Some' and tomorrow's is 'Hatch a Plan' or something like that. I can't work them out, anyone have any ideas about what they mean?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I was also puzzled about those. Could they be anagrams?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32   Go Up