• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This week on QC...

Now departing the USS MartenClaire *bell rings*
- 122 (56.7%)
Jephizba trolls us all, hallowed be the trollmaster's name.
- 32 (14.9%)
Spatheham and Clairemom Pancakes
- 7 (3.3%)
A solid week of Steve eating cereal
- 9 (4.2%)
Martenmom and Clairemom team up and fight crime/meddle in their children's personal lives
- 45 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 195

Voting closed: 09 Oct 2014, 22:04

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2806-2810 (6th - 10th October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 312724 times)

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Faye's already made sure it knows who is boss.

Her boobs?
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

They're a powerful narcotic, even capable of bringing Hanners down from a major freak-out.  The jury is still out, though, whether or not it's more powerful than sleeping on a guy's sofa.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

It's actually really easy to understand. Think about someone you're attracted to. It doesn't have to be your One True Love or anything like that. What goes through your mind? Their laugh? Their smile? Perhaps they have a personality quirk you find endearing. A couple of times you fall asleep in each others arms; you feel warm, content and happy.

The universe then smiles on you and the two of you start dating. Life couldn't be better. One night the two of you decide to make love for the first time - but there's a problem. Your genitals are too big/too small for your partner and making love is not as straightforward as it normally is. Your partner is upset and afraid. Are you suddenly going to say to them "Your stuff isn't what I usually want in a partner - it's over between us." Are you suddenly and magically going to turn those feelings of warmth and attraction off? Or do you find a way to make things work?

Once you have the answer, then you'll know why Claire's downstairs configuration is a secondary concern to Marten, instead of his overriding goal.

If you want a more concise version: you date a *person*, you don't date their disembodied genitals.

I. Love. This. Post.

We are getting an alarming number of newbies who just don't get it.

I wonder how many people got the mental image of a person taking a genital for a fancy dinner  :roll:

Now you got it!

Or introducing them to friends and family as their "genital mate." Or "significant testicle." Or "vulvafriend."

I keep hoping we can get through a week of forum discussion without genital speculation. Now THAT would be a far-fetched plot twist. :P
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Or introducing them to friends and family as their "genital mate." Or "significant testicle." Or "vulvafriend."

Oddly enough, I can see Sven screwing up a date like this...
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

feelsalmostbad

• Not quite a lurker

Also, this is a privately run forum, not a forum run by the US government, and therefore you have no rights. See http://xkcd.com/1357/.

I don't have any legal rights to my free speech here yes. However rights really aren't about legality anyways. It's society's way of saying that we should uphold an idea because we feel it is overwhelmingly important to us that it is regardless of whatever reasons/evidence/etc.... Natural rights and legal rights are completely separate things. I have the natural right to post to this forum whatever I can and the mods have the natural and legal right to delete my posts and/or ban me. Please note that the way I'm using natural rights may not align entirely with wiki but stems from the belief that natural rights are the things that one can physically obtain/produce regardless of external pressures e.g no one can take my right away to think of Bill Murray as a lil ragamuffin. This is of course a weak basis for argument but is a construct I enjoy thinking about.

Sig

• Plantmonster

This thread has gotten too hot and heavy, my posts included. I am going to go look at kitten .gif's and decompress.

Be excellent to each other, and, Party on, dudes!
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2014, 09:52 by Sig »
No trees were killed in the creation of this message.  However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

This is of course a weak basis for argument but is a construct I enjoy thinking about.

Emily?

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

We need some pancakes, and not just any pancakes, bacon pancakes! 

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

We need some pancakes, and not just any pancakes, bacon pancakes! 

This pops into my head any time someone mentions pancakes. Needless to say, it's been on pretty much a constant loop in my mind for the last week or so. :P
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Let's be honest, if Jeph did not want us to at least be curious about it then he should not have put the main character in the situation in the first place.
In other words, if Jeph didn't want disrespectful discussions in his forums, he shouldn't have allowed a trans character in his comic to start a relationship? Is that what you're saying? :-o

No. I meant what I said. I never said anything about "disrespectful discussions in his forums" or "shouldn't have allowed a trans character in his comic to start a relationship". If the relationship itself is going to be one of the focal points people are going to have questions. Thats it. I like the development and hope that the fact that She is Trans has little impact on the future. The only point I am trying to get across with my previous statement is that by putting main character in this situation(maybe scenario would be a better word) it is going to make people think of questions that respectful people would not ask. Thoughts are nether good or bad, its the actions we take that make them good or bad.
Right, but every time someone pops up with "but I have questions" they get pointed to the relevant pre-existing threads and/or other resources and reminded not to discuss them in here because that historically leads to bad things… Then, quite a lot of the time, they come back with "but why should I have to go over there and maybe learn something, I just wanna ask questions here!" or some rought equivalent.
Which is when people get upset because they feel like they're being ignored, or mocked, or whatever because it's hard to feel sympathetic to someone who "just wants to ask questions" when they ignore the answers they are directed to. Especially when we're talking about a sensitive, painful subject.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese

Oddly enough, I can see Sven screwing up a date like this...

And that just forces this into my brain.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

Also, this is a privately run forum, not a forum run by the US government, and therefore you have no rights. See http://xkcd.com/1357/.

I don't have any legal rights to my free speech here yes. However rights really aren't about legality anyways. It's society's way of saying that we should uphold an idea because we feel it is overwhelmingly important to us that it is regardless of whatever reasons/evidence/etc.... Natural rights and legal rights are completely separate things. I have the natural right to post to this forum whatever I can and the mods have the natural and legal right to delete my posts and/or ban me. Please note that the way I'm using natural rights may not align entirely with wiki but stems from the belief that natural rights are the things that one can physically obtain/produce regardless of external pressures e.g no one can take my right away to think of Bill Murray as a lil ragamuffin. This is of course a weak basis for argument but is a construct I enjoy thinking about.

Ugh personal peccadillo....

Natural rights are an intellectual exercise to justify criticisms of a status quo that was thought to be divinely originated and therefore blasphemy to question. Natural rights were a rhetorical tool that built on ideas in the manga carta to justify ideas that vested power in the hands of the individual, because the natural right philosophers realized that the existing system was inefficient and harmful. They don't actually exist, as the 100,000 odd years of human history as a story of domination and violence demonstrates.

/rant

The back and forth about politeness and discussions and questions from new people (I'm new too not using that as a pejorative) really annoyed me. News flash: this is the weekly comic discussion forum, not an educate me about trans issues forum. It's a stunningly bad place for you to come and demand explanation/education. There's an entire thread for it, and it's PINNED. There's also a rules thread you should read before posting. If you're still feeling like you need more info, do some research or ask questions elsewhere, WE ARE HERE TO SQUEE AND HAVE EXTENDED ARGUMENTS ABOUT PANCAKES AND PRESCRIPTIVE VS DESCRIPTIVE PERSPECTIVES ON LANGUAGE.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2014, 10:57 by iandanger »

Durmatagno

• Not quite a lurker

Hello, and welcome, and please give yourself an emergency crash course in transgender issues.

Claire's brain is set to female, and brains are biological, so "biologically a man" is imprecise language that will lead your thinking astray. The delivery room doctor probably checked "male" if that's what you're asking. Marten is flexible enough to realize that the person underneath is a woman despite accidents of birth.

Prepare for some serious brain-stretching as you study this!

I'm so going to be banned for this but remember who brought this male/female brain stuff into the discussion...

Claire is a lovely person who for some reason or reasons was sufficiently uncomfortable with the physical and social conditions imposed by the circumstances of her birth. So uncomfortable that she sought out to change those things and has succeeded to such an extent that the people around her though either ignorance or acceptance see Claire as what she chooses to present to the world. Good for her and good for Marten not having hangups that get in the way or perusing someone he likes, who likes him and would make a good match.

But this stuff about male and female brains is so much offensive crap!

A brain is a brain. To even suggest anything else is to buy into all that crap of boys are better than girl at... and girls are better than boys at... It reenforces misogynistic bullshit like women are too emotional or girls are bad at math. It says men are right every time they make an excuse up about how woman are supposed to behave because now their brains are like that not becuse form an early age they were trained by the pink asile at the toy store with little dolls and easy bake ovens while the Lego and blocks were in the blue aisle.

Boy brain or girl brain is bullshit. And the science agrees.

Kindly read this before pressing the ban button. http://www.popsci.com/article/science/stop-looking-%E2%80%9Chardwired%E2%80%9D-differences-male-and-female-brains

Kindly talk to the friendly folks over here

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?364184-LGBTAI-52-Aces-High

If you aren't already, I know that there's some QC fans in there (Last two pages have mentioned 2807, don't know about 2808)

*slinks back into lurking because he doesn't post often for comic stuff*

Had to make an account just incase I actually wanted to jump in here.

feelsalmostbad

• Not quite a lurker

Ugh dear god...

Natural rights are an intellectual exercise to justify criticisms of a status quo that was thought to be divinely originated and therefore blasphemy to question. Natural rights were a rhetorical tool that built on ideas in the manga carta to justify ideas that vested power in the hands of the individual, because the natural right philosophers realized that the existing system was inefficient and harmful. They don't actually exist, as the 100,000 odd years of human history as a story of domination and violence demonstrates.

/rant

The back and forth about politeness and discussions and questions from new people (I'm new too not using that as a pejorative) really annoyed me. News flash: this is the weekly comic discussion forum, not an educate me about trans issues forum. It's a stunningly bad place for you to come and demand explanation/education. There's an entire thread for it, and it's PINNED. There's also a rules thread you should read before posting. If you're still feeling like you need more info, do some research or ask questions elsewhere, WE ARE HERE TO SQUEE AND HAVE EXTENDED ARGUMENTS ABOUT PANCAKES AND PRESCRIPTIVE VS DESCRIPTIVE PERSPECTIVES ON LANGUAGE.

I told you it was a weak argument and didn't align with the historical definition.

Lumidingo

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

No. I meant what I said. I never said anything about "disrespectful discussions in his forums" or "shouldn't have allowed a trans character in his comic to start a relationship". If the relationship itself is going to be one of the focal points people are going to have questions. Thats it. I like the development and hope that the fact that She is Trans has little impact on the future. The only point I am trying to get across with my previous statement is that by putting main character in this situation(maybe scenario would be a better word) it is going to make people think of questions that respectful people would not ask. Thoughts are nether good or bad, its the actions we take that make them good or bad.

That's perfectly fine. But some questions are disrespectful and dehumanizing, and people need to recognize that sometimes it doesn't matter how curious you are about some particular facet of information, you're still not entitled to the answer if it's disrespectful and dehumanizing. There was a lot of evidence of people not getting this some months ago, when Janet Mock (a transgender activist and all-around super awesome lady) spoke out against the dehumanizing treatment she was subjected to on Piers Morgan's show. It was incredible at the time to see the amount of comments by people arguing utterly seriously that they had a RIGHT to know about her genitalia, because she'd "called attention to it" by publicly outing herself, and any argument otherwise was 'an attack on someone who just wanted to learn' and then used to justify further ostracism and discrimination against trans folk. 

Like it or not, one of the fundamentals of transphobia is the rendering of the trans individual as public property. Everything must be out in the open, nothing can be held back, and the penalty for keeping private matters private ranges from harassment, discrimination and social exclusion, all the way to violence and death. It is super, super important to recognize that people have a right to privacy that cannot be overridden under any circumstances, no matter how curious you are or how innocent you genuinely feel when you pose the question. Being respectful means understanding that inviolable right to privacy.

SteveCostello

• Not quite a lurker

Right, but every time someone pops up with "but I have questions" they get pointed to the relevant pre-existing threads and/or other resources and reminded not to discuss them in here because that historically leads to bad things… Then, quite a lot of the time, they come back with "but why should I have to go over there and maybe learn something, I just wanna ask questions here!" or some rought equivalent.

To be fair... that thread is MASSIVE, and difficult to navigate. I do appreciate the thread, but I think it might take less time to read every single QC comic in the archive than it would to read that whole thread. In addition, due to its nature as a forum thread, its structure is not ideal for initial learning. It meanders, and has no real organization. Which makes it even more daunting. ZoeB posted a really well done synopsis a page or so ago, and that was really good. Referring people sites like http://transwhat.org/ is very helpful, as that has more structure around it, and tends to be geared toward people that are new to the idea of people being trans.

As a person whose professional life is built around the HCI (human-computer interface), a large part of that line of work involves the brain's reaction to what it sees on the screen. Being a thread that is (at the time of this writing) 65 pages long (!!!) with over 3,200 posts is probably going to result in initial reactions like, "Holy... holy shit. I just asked a question... I can't read all of this!" I'm not saying that is the RIGHT reaction... but that is a viable reaction from the brain when presented with SOOOO much information in such a seemingly unorganized manner.

There is a LOT of great information in that thread. Tons of it. If there were some sort of FAQ, or quick reference to direct people to high-level overview type information ("What does 'trans' mean?") and give the person the option to drill down to more specific information ("What are the implications of a cis/trans vs. a cis/cis or even a trans/trans relationship?"), that would really make a big difference, I think. I, personally, fit squarely in the second camp. I have a trans cousin... really, really great guy. He and his family been incredibly helpful in helping me understand his circumstance, and it has just made me that much more empathetic to the entire LGBT community, pushing me to be much more than just a passive supporter. I take an active stand to support the entire LGBT community.

For the *most* part (certainly with some exceptions, or at least, insensitively asked questions), I think people that have asked questions here are genuinely interested in becoming educated, as opposed to simply being ungraciously curious for the means of satisfying their need to know about something "freaky" (note that I use that term from their viewpoint, not mine). The former are trying to become better educated to the nuances unique to someone whose lives are different than their own... not out of selfish needs, but genuinely trying to better understand, to better empathize, and to eventually become a better advocate for all around equality and understanding of people that do not fit into gender constructs. The latter are selfish, seeking only to satisfy their own sick curiosity. Keep in mind, however, that even with the latter group, there is a real opportunity to educate and change their way of thinking.

You've also got those that are probably on the fence, somewhere in between. They are people that are, for the most part, trying to understand things better, trying to see through their own prejudice, and perhaps are trying to approach this new-to-them-phenomenon with an open mind. There is a real opportunity to push these people into deeper understanding with well-formed education. These folks are not likely to (at least initially) be willing to wade through 3200+ posts. Perhaps once they are more invested in the movement, when they have at least a base understanding of the issues and have actually opened their minds to these viewpoints, they are more willing to dig into something like that and become a real advocate.

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

I told you it was a weak argument and didn't align with the historical definition.

Yeah, I went back and edited out the dear god to note that it's a personal peccadillo when people bring up natural rights haha, as you were

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

Hello, and welcome, and please give yourself an emergency crash course in transgender issues.

Claire's brain is set to female, and brains are biological, so "biologically a man" is imprecise language that will lead your thinking astray. The delivery room doctor probably checked "male" if that's what you're asking. Marten is flexible enough to realize that the person underneath is a woman despite accidents of birth.

Prepare for some serious brain-stretching as you study this!

I'm so going to be banned for this but remember who brought this male/female brain stuff into the discussion...

Claire is a lovely person who for some reason or reasons was sufficiently uncomfortable with the physical and social conditions imposed by the circumstances of her birth. So uncomfortable that she sought out to change those things and has succeeded to such an extent that the people around her though either ignorance or acceptance see Claire as what she chooses to present to the world. Good for her and good for Marten not having hangups that get in the way or perusing someone he likes, who likes him and would make a good match.

But this stuff about male and female brains is so much offensive crap!

A brain is a brain. To even suggest anything else is to buy into all that crap of boys are better than girl at... and girls are better than boys at... It reenforces misogynistic bullshit like women are too emotional or girls are bad at math. It says men are right every time they make an excuse up about how woman are supposed to behave because now their brains are like that not becuse form an early age they were trained by the pink asile at the toy store with little dolls and easy bake ovens while the Lego and blocks were in the blue aisle.

Boy brain or girl brain is bullshit. And the science agrees.

Kindly read this before pressing the ban button. http://www.popsci.com/article/science/stop-looking-%E2%80%9Chardwired%E2%80%9D-differences-male-and-female-brains

Kindly talk to the friendly folks over here

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?364184-LGBTAI-52-Aces-High

If you aren't already, I know that there's some QC fans in there (Last two pages have mentioned 2807, don't know about 2808)

*slinks back into lurking because he doesn't post often for comic stuff*

Had to make an account just incase I actually wanted to jump in here.

Claire's face in the last panel in 2808 was pretty awesome and made me pretty happy.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

Can we just agree on the following:

1.) The brain is a complex instrument that is responsible for a whole lot of things and can be altered in a myriad of ways to affect your personality and identity, and

2.) Gender identity can be incredibly complex and difficult to define en masse and it's best left to the individual to determine what their gender identity is because it's affected by a slew of internal and external elements and no two people are the same and, therefore, probably will not wind up trans/cis/gay/bi/straight/queer for the exact same reason? (Also, just going to reiterate how much I hate the prefix "cis" but acknowledging that this is a situation where it makes sense to use.)

Can we walk away with that at least instead of trying to impose sweeping definitions on what is and isn't? Please? And can we stop fighting over how "acceptable" it is or isn't to question things in any given thread, because we're beating a dead horse at this point.

tragic_pizza

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Board Certified Curmudgeon

With the vast availability of Google, I don't really see why people need to come here to demand an education. Judging by the reaction of Marten and the rest of the cast, Jeph appears to have done that, and I must say I love the result.

Yeah, Claire has her rough edges, but I think she is freaking adorable. Let's just enjoy the (apparent) fact that Marten has grown up some, in one area of his life, and that Claire has her first (squee) boyfriend.
[21:19] andy: Mai, I am sorry, I am going to say this outright that I would doeverything in my power to try and have sweet girl love with you.

grouchygizmo

• Plantmonster

I think the most important question of all is this:

WHERE does Claire shop?! I mean, girl, you got some interesting clothes!!

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2791
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2397

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Global Moderator Comment This is going in circles. Unless any of you have anything new to add to a subject that has been discussed to death in here and in the Trans* Threads, I would suggest it ends now.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

Seriously. I want the number of her thrift shop, because daaaaaaag.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

I just wanna know how a 24 year old is a Morrissey fan.

There, I said it.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

There, I said it.

Someone had to. 

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

It was probably her Mothers.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Sig

• Plantmonster

So after decompressing, cat gif's and copious amounts of thinking I have realized that the points I have trying to get across have nothing to do with Trans or any other community. Unfortunately while trying to do so all I have done was fuel a fire that has more than enough fuel as it is. This was not my intent and for that I am sorry.

Now that I got that off my chest, I could go for some pancakes.
No trees were killed in the creation of this message.  However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

There, I said it.

I'm 27 and he's my favorite, but then again I'm also a fan of embrace so I'm not what you'd call a typical millennial musically. Probably him being an aggressive vegan doesn't hurt either.

Queue further discussion of meat analogs!

eschaton

• Furry furrier

There, I said it.

Tangentially, this is part of the reason I'm happy music references have mostly left the comic. 

Jeph used to refer to pretty current bands for the first 2-3 years.  But given 11 years have now passed, but in comic time, likely only 1-3 years (it's never been totally clear), you'd either need the music references to remain old (with the conclusion it's still in the mid 2000s in the comic), or to have had basically a decade of "real world" bands mentioned in a highly abbreviated time. 

Regardless, although the main characters still haven't aged much, Jeph does let the mask slip that in some ways they've "aged" as he has.  Like Marten mentioning how college freshmen look like high school kids to him now.  You don't really think that at 26, but you sure start doing so when you hit 30. 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

There, I said it.

Morrissey and The Smiths are huge in my age group, man. Music being older than us does not mean we don't listen to it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

2397 shows her in the fitting room of a clothes store. As far as we know, she only bought one of those dresses.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

There, I said it.

Tangentially, this is part of the reason I'm happy music references have mostly left the comic. 

Jeph used to refer to pretty current bands for the first 2-3 years.  But given 11 years have now passed, but in comic time, likely only 1-3 years (it's never been totally clear), you'd either need the music references to remain old (with the conclusion it's still in the mid 2000s in the comic), or to have had basically a decade of "real world" bands mentioned in a highly abbreviated time. 

Regardless, although the main characters still haven't aged much, Jeph does let the mask slip that in some ways they've "aged" as he has.  Like Marten mentioning how college freshmen look like high school kids to him now.  You don't really think that at 26, but you sure start doing so when you hit 30.

Or keep year specifics vague and relative (and clearly in an alternate universe) so you can make whatever references you want, archer style.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Music being older than us does not mean we don't listen to it.

*grandpa simpson*

Awww bullshit - you kids and your Lady Gaga and your Kongos don't know nothin' about the Smiths and Echo and the Bunnymen!

*/grandpa simpson*

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

People really need to learn to snip quotes.

Like Marten mentioning how college freshmen look like high school kids to him now.  You don't really think that at 26, but you sure start doing so when you hit 30.
I'm 23 and I think that.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Oh man, I really want to see Claire and Marten both in their "teh" shirts together.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

Anything is possible in an infinite universe ;-)  But then, my 20 year old son has the most diverse musical taste of anyone I know, and my 22 year old daughter (who is a classically trained singer) swings from J-pop to Broadway show tunes.

grouchygizmo

• Plantmonster

Oh man, I really want to see Claire and Marten both in their "teh" shirts together.

I was wondering where she got that shirt... it seems to travel everywhere in this comic!

Miaboop

• Plantmonster
  • I boop butts and butt boops

2397 shows her in the fitting room of a clothes store. As far as we know, she only bought one of those dresses.

I just want to be able to buy those clothes. Everything I got here are jeans and boring black skirts.
I ain't got any money and I'm living on ramen noodles

epmin

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Quote from: ankhtahrlink=topic=30166.msg1273332#msg1273332 date=1412798566

This has been bugging me for a while, but just what is this whole 'teh' shirt thing?   

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

I always figured it was an indie band I'd never heard of.

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I was wondering where she got that shirt... it seems to travel everywhere in this comic!
Isn't that the one that Marten breeds in the back of his closet?
Or was that the hoodie?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

TomOBedlam

• Emoticontraindication

So, waiting for 2809.  Not with quite the same levels of hope and anxiety of the last few weeks, but won't be surprised to be totally surprised, again ;-)

Sig

• Plantmonster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teh

Wow. I never got this reference. I always took it as an onomatopoeia of the sound someone would make to dismiss something as irrelevant or inconsequential. Example would be "Teh, whatever."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Music being older than us does not mean we don't listen to it.

*grandpa simpson*

Awww bullshit - you kids and your Lady Gaga and your Kongos don't know nothin' about the Smiths and Echo and the Bunnymen!

*/grandpa simpson*

Ocean Rain is a hell of a record.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Sig

• Plantmonster

So, waiting for 2809.  Not with quite the same levels of hope and anxiety of the last few weeks, but won't be surprised to be totally surprised, again ;-)

First panel: Window with morning light and a bird chirping on the ledge.
Second panel: Claire waking up, blurry eyed, smelling pancakes then feeling crushing despair in her soul as she realizes......

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

MOOOOM!  Sig's being sour!

Seriously, man - I'll END you.

Just kidding.

Not really.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

There, I said it.

Morrissey and The Smiths are huge in my age group, man. Music being older than us does not mean we don't listen to it.
This.

Hell, I still listen to Television and Pavement regularly, and I'm in my twenties.

Also, I kinda miss the frequent band references in the comic.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teh

Wow. I never got this reference. I always took it as an onomatopoeia of the sound someone would make to dismiss something as irrelevant or inconsequential. Example would be "Teh, whatever."
Nono, that's "meh" or sometimes "feh" but you must be careful not to confuse that last with "FEH", the initialism of noted Canadian comic artist Faith Hicks.

Sig

• Plantmonster

MOOOOM!  Sig's being sour!

Seriously, man - I'll END you.

Just kidding.

Not really.

Sorry, I could not resist.   :-D
If it did play out like that I would be livid. I don't think my mind would survive the aftermath here in the forum.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32   Go Up