• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's next on our agenda?

Angus and Faye: The Quickening
- 46 (33.3%)
Dora Tells Her Parents (To Predictable Results)
- 10 (7.2%)
The Library Implosion: Emily Finds Out!
- 19 (13.8%)
Moms Meet!
- 8 (5.8%)
Momo and May - The Odd Couple Revisited!
- 12 (8.7%)
Hanners FREAKS OUT!
- 7 (5.1%)
Pintsize!
- 7 (5.1%)
Love and Pancakes!
- 7 (5.1%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!
- 1 (0.7%)
...Wait, who IS that blue guy lying on the ground?
- 11 (8%)
CLINTONSPOLSION!
- 10 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2811-2815 (13-17 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 162962 times)

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I am not sure about the off-screen talk between Dora and Sven. Dora does have a habit of making rash, irrational decisions in anger - harsh ones, too. No matter how incomplete her information is. Remember when she 'broke up'  with Marten when she saw him hugging Faye? What she does in her own time and with her boyfriend is nobody's business, but firing somebody because of that? (Yes, I know, Faye talked some sense into her, but 'Don't come into work tomorrow' is pretty unambiguous).

That was not one of Dora's finest moments. I've gone on record here saying that the very item you brought up nearly had me swear her off for good. There was no excuse for that sort of overreaction.

Still, I just can't see her doing something permanent with a family member based on third-hand info. *shrugs* That's just my opinion. Like, I can't see her having reacted that way to Faye or Marten if someone had just told her that they saw them hugging rather than her seeing it herself.

At any rate, I have a feeling we'll find out soon enough what actually happened there - if anything at all.

Disclaimer: I'm neither pro-Sven nor pro-Dora, so I don't have quite the same emotional investment that some of you seem to have in defending one or the other of them. They're both capable of being nice, even loving people. They're also -- as they've both lately shown repeatedly -- capable of being colossal assholes.

Thing is, there's a lot of backstory we don't know with the two of them. Sure, it's been brought up in small bits and pieces, but I haven't seen anything that'd explain both of them having all the emotional depth of, say, your average puddle. Dora does have resentment that Sven was the golden child and never had to work as hard at things as she obviously has. Sven, who has only one real friend that we've seen in the strip (Wil), likely envies Dora's friendships, which are not only more numerous, but also have a staying power that his own relationships lack.

But you know something? We're talking about two people in their late twenties. At some point, you grow the hell up and realize that you either take the reins of your life or you run the risk of letting your past dictate your decisions for you. Right now, they both fall in that camp, with Sven deciding that it's easier to revert to type than to change, and Dora deciding that she'd sooner cut her brother out of her life than to actually confront him about the things he does and what they say about who he is (she's complained and threatened plenty, but that's not the same as actually having an adult conversation with someone). If their issues are with each other, they need to work that out; if it's with something one parent or the other did, same thing. But in either case, they're both adults and it's about damn time they acted like it.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

FWIW to close a lid on my earlier posts: I don't think Sven is a bad person, I just think he's a development-arrested asshole.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Dora might also have left a therapy appointment shaken and destabilized.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

Anyone else notice that for the past week or so of comics the description under the comic is just an emote? Used to jeph at least writing a sentence or two

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

I have noticed that, but I read somewhere (pretty sure it was here on QC forum) that he is opting toward less and less verbosity in his storytelling, or that he considered it a mark of good storytelling.  Could be he's applying that to news posts as well, or it could be that when he's done with a comic he's like 'oh holy shit I don't feel like typing another damn thing' and just puts two characters instead.  :-D
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Dora might also have left a therapy appointment shaken and destabilized.

Possible, but I don't know if it's likely. I tend to agree with TRVA123:

I just can't go with the "maybe it happened offscreen". This isn't a reality show, Jeph chooses what to show us.

If he doesn't show us an interaction between characters (and doesn't even HINT at the interaction) I think it is reasonable to assume that those "offscreen" interactions are irrelevant to the plot.

That'd be too large of a storytelling point to just leave a narrative ellipsis and just leave it to the reader to figure out. Even at times when Jeph's gone a bit non-linear with the storytelling (as recently happened with Marten showing up at Claire's, and only later explaining how he got there), there's always been an explanation, or at least (as with Faye's backstory with her dad's suicide) the lack of explanation has been lampshaded. We haven't really seen either of those things here, and I think that leaving that kind of gap would mean Jeph getting sloppy with his storytelling, which he's not really prone to do.

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am

Next week would be back to Marten and Claire. I've already put up my ideas for the first two strips (Claire coming out in a pretty dress and going to CoD with Marten). In this version, there would be no library party as it's the weekend. Instead, after spending some time walking around town together, they go to The Secret Bakery for lunch where, much to Martin's shock, Veronica is behind the counter. The rest of the week will basically be Jim and Veronica teasing Marten and Claire.

You have absolutely no idea how much I want this (and it's totally plausible too!), if I could write worth a damn I'd be half tempted to sketch it up. I was hoping for some more Clairten this week, but after 2 weeks-ish of sappy goodness we're due some good old drama llama. Speaking of (good transition there); I can't see a spectacular meltdown yet, I mean they had both foreseen this as a real possibility after the callback so it's not totally out the blue. However when it comes down to the fact of it actually happening and preparing for it this is the point where it could go south, it all depends on how far she's willing to go with Angus. Long distance can work in the short term, but from experience anything long term doesn't (if I'm wrong, please correct me :) ).

As of Sven...his big revelation to Faye could just be coincidental or it could be part of some huge scheme that Jef has hidden up his sleeve. In any case I don't see Faye having a rebound or any sort of fling/mistake with him. She learned her lesson the last time and I don't see her making the same mistake twice.

(Yeah I know, first post. Please be gentle  :oops:)

(also psyduck  :psyduck:)
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Long distance can work in the short term, but from experience anything long term doesn't (if I'm wrong, please correct me :) ).

It depends. I have a friend who's been in a long-distance relationship (North Carolina and Vermont) for several years now, and they seem to be making it work. So it can be done.

My one long-distance relationship probably lasted longer than it would have if we'd lived closer together - the distance made it easier to ignore some of the problems.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish

I can't wrap my head around Dora being caring-sister one moment and then the next it's all "Welp! Guess I don't have a brother anymore!" Dora can be irrational at times, but that's on another level. Not that it means much, but she is in therapy and has a girlfriend who is crazy about her and whose motives Dora does not have to doubt. If anything, she should be more mellow, not all "RAWR!"

In the very strip where Dora hears about Sven's declaration, the previous frame to the reveal has her two closest friends agreeing that she'd go nuclear if she found out.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

I can't wrap my head around Dora being caring-sister one moment and then the next it's all "Welp! Guess I don't have a brother anymore!" Dora can be irrational at times, but that's on another level. Not that it means much, but she is in therapy and has a girlfriend who is crazy about her and whose motives Dora does not have to doubt. If anything, she should be more mellow, not all "RAWR!"

In the very strip where Dora hears about Sven's declaration, the previous frame to the reveal has her two closest friends agreeing that she'd go nuclear if she found out.

It doesn't helpe that Sven told Dora to his face that, yes, he enjoyed sex with Faye but he had no intention or desire for their relationship to be exclusive (at least not on his side). Based on this, Dora had plenty of reason to doubt the sincerity of Sven's emotions and motives.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

Yeah, Sven's treatment of Faye was basically, "No, I don't want to commit to you in any way, or even go on real dates with you; all I want is NSA bangin'.  ...Wait, you don't like it when I don't give a crap about you except for bangin'?  ...You're moving on and having a meaningful relationship with a good guy who values you?  NOOOOOO COME BACK I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!"  I'm not surprised that Dora was really, really pissed at him for treating her friend that way.

Cutting him out of her life because of it isn't healthy; that's the nuclear option that one should generally save for things like abusive relationships.  Giving Sven a major piece of her mind and telling him to leave Faye the hell alone or she'd kick his ass into next week would've been a more proportional response.  But we know that Dora has hella issues with Sven already, so I'm not surprised she overreacted.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I agree, Sven has done a few shitty things, but cheating on Faye is the only one that's even remotely the business of the main cast. And even that is a bit of a gray area, since they were technically FWB. Yes, Faye had made it clear that she'd bail if he fucked anyone else, but that doesn't make them a couple; that's just setting terms for the FWB arrangement.
Much worse than cheating on Faye was failing to get over his feelings, and getting all up in Faye's face about them, long after she'd clearly and explicitly chucked him and moved on. If you're going to say his cheating was only "grey" because it was FWB, then he's not entitled to dump his feelings on her; the casual nature of FWB cuts both ways, surely. Either both parties have emotional obligations, or neither does.

As far as Dora is concerned, she's Faye's employer as well as her friend. Dora has every right to be hostile to someone who comes into her place of business and upsets a member of her staff. From an familial point of view, I'd be pretty dark if my brother behaved like Sven. It's not honest to condemn Dora for insufficient concern for Sven's feelings, when he exhibits no concern for Dora's feelings about her friend's well-being. Family obligation and duty flow both ways too.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I thought his point was that he didn't recognize the feelings he had at the time, but realized too late that they were there. Not an excuse, though.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

grouchygizmo

• Plantmonster

I don't know, Dora always was weird about Sven mixing in (whether romantic or not) with her friends. She tries to separate them. I try to do this with my older brother- yet, he dated MY best friend, and now due to the fall-out she and I don't talk anymore. I was so mad at my brother, I didn't talk to him for at least three months.

So, yeah. I don't think Dora will keep Sven out FOREVER. But not talking for a while? I can see that. Eventually it will click in her head that Sven is family, and she is always going to have him. One of my mother's favorite sayings is "You two better get along. You are going to be stuck together for the rest of your life!", and I think that will apply in the comic.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Sven's done some shitty things, but do you really think "take advantage of a drunk person" is a low he'd sink to?

Yes.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Let's hope not.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

eschaton

• Furry furrier

It depends. I have a friend who's been in a long-distance relationship (North Carolina and Vermont) for several years now, and they seem to be making it work. So it can be done.

My one long-distance relationship probably lasted longer than it would have if we'd lived closer together - the distance made it easier to ignore some of the problems.

There's been studies which suggest that there are some major pluses to long-distance relationships.  For one thing, it's been found they stay in the "passionate" phase for much longer - partners don't become bored and start taking their significant other for granted.  Absence really does make the heart grow fonder in some cases.

Still, the question is not do long-distance relationships ever work, it's will a LTR work for Faye and Angus.  I still think the answer here is no. 

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

Sven's done some shitty things, but do you really think "take advantage of a drunk person" is a low he'd sink to?

Yes.

Unless jeph wants to take the comic to a whole new level of social commentary I can't see sven doing that or maybe at the most backing out at the last possible second

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

First: Welcome, Endellion! Pull up a chair, have some coffee.

Second: Marten tends to be a good barometer of the reasonable-ness of most opinions that don't involve Marten. Dora is overreacting. On the other hand, the fact that Marten accepts her position says it's not an extreme overreaction. He can see where she's going, but  some doubts.

That's not to suggest her overreaction doesn't make sense to her. Sven is the villain in the strip. The fact that he's not actually a terrible person is a sign of how little villainy anyone in Northhampton gets up to.

What he did was selfish and Dora has every right to be upset about it. If one assumes that Cosette gave a fairly complete description of Sven's run in with Steve, she knows just how selfish her brother is being.

There's a showdown coming over this. It may or may not be a situation that retroactively justifies Dora's reaction.

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

To be fair, I don't know if Gareth is equating "taking advantage" with "sexual assault." But it does seem like splitting hairs to say, in this case, that there's a big difference. If the issue is that booze interfered with the legitimacy of her consent, then there's really no difference at all.

What a load of crap.

Can I turn this around and say that since he was drunk as well, was she not taking advantage of HIM and reducing his capacity for consent?

What this world is turning into, with the lack of personal responsibility and anti-male diatribe, makes me sick :-(

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

To be fair, I don't know if Gareth is equating "taking advantage" with "sexual assault." But it does seem like splitting hairs to say, in this case, that there's a big difference. If the issue is that booze interfered with the legitimacy of her consent, then there's really no difference at all.

What a load of crap.

Can I turn this around and say that since he was drunk as well, was she not taking advantage of HIM and reducing his capacity for consent?

What this world is turning into, with the lack of personal responsibility and anti-male diatribe, makes me sick :-(

Its tumblr feminism that is ruining the feminist movement basically. You do have good ones who preach equality for everyone like Emma watson which is helping turn some of it

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Both of them had questionable ability to consent, as they were both drunk, and were Sven sober, based on his thoughts, he wouldn't have consented most likely.

The question is, do you charge them with raping each other?

Arkantos

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Secretly Judging.

Comic's Up!

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Looks like Faye is playing second fiddle to Angus's career.   Distant second.

Nyithra

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

I'm glad that Angus didn't just assume she would move to New York with him, but I can see from Faye's expression that an explosion is imminent.
Follow your heart, but when your heart starts to shit all over your life, follow your brain.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

That couch might be fine for spooning, but they're lousy if you want to fork.  :claireface:

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

Yeah angus is slowly digging his own grave

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

That couch might be fine for spooning, but they're lousy if you want to fork.  :claireface:

Spooning might lead to forking, but bad puns lead to knifing :P

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

I'm certainly no expert but this certainly does not bode well.  I guess you could say Angus is really tempting fayte.   :claireface:
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I'm certainly no expert but this certainly does not bode well.  I guess you could say Angus is really tempting fayte.   :claireface:

This week: Faye and Angus. Next week: Faye and Anguish.  :claireface:

McFace

• Plantmonster
  • Myes rather!

I'm not sure how well that response will be received.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

Oh, the new job optimism high can make you so, so very blind and oblivious Angus...

DocMob

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

This may wind up in Angus and Angst, if the Nightly Show decides they don't need him long term.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Are you saying that Angus will be cowed?  :claireface:

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

Nice skull placement as well. Not sure if its quite heavy handed enough, maybe there should be some dark clouds overhead as well?

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Nice skull placement as well. Not sure if its quite heavy handed enough, maybe there should be some dark clouds overhead as well?

Just watch out for clocks, Time travel breakups get awkward.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Would his selfies count as beefcake, then?  :claireface:

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I always wondered if that was the skull from (or a callout to) Orneryboy.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

I call bull on that.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

DocMob

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I don't think Angus need worry about room for spooning, I think he should fear Faye fetching the mighty war ladle from behind the COD counter.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Faye and Angus are boring now.  Let's sensationalize the race to be Marigold's new roomate!

Will it be May?  Steve?  Jimbo?  Claire?  Clinton?  Hanners?  Lydia?  Maridad?  Amanda?  Spaceship?  Dave?  That former boss of Marten's whose name I cannot remember right now?  Wil?

Smart money is probably on Clinton.  They can talk nerd to each other.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

Honestly, I think that is the way it should be. Faye and Angus have been dating for, what 6 months? A year at the most. They don't live together. I don't see why either of them should prioritize the relationship over a fantastic career opportunity.

Momo might be making enough at the library that she can be the other roommate for Marigold. She has said that she would like more space.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Faye is going to freak. Then Marigold is going to freak. Hannelore will freak just from the general emotional atmosphere around her.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Faye and Angus are boring now.  Let's sensationalize the race to be Marigold's new roomate!

Will it be May?  Steve?  Jimbo?  Claire?  Clinton?  Hanners?  Lydia?  Maridad?  Amanda?  Spaceship?  Dave?  That former boss of Marten's whose name I cannot remember right now?  Wil?

Smart money is probably on Clinton.  They can talk nerd to each other.

Amir's been staying in the practice space. If he lived with Marigold then Hanners and martin might spend more time thinking about band practice.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

As someone who got left holding the bag when my roommate moved across the country for a job, I can say that two months really isn't a lot of time to find a new roommate who can pay and doesn't have some sort of issue. I'm not super-okay with Angus's cavalier attitude toward it, but maybe this will be the way in which Dale and May move in creating many hijinks with Momo and Marigold. I think that Dale and Marigold's relationship will go supernova if they move in together at this stage though, but hey, drama.

I'd love Gabby to be the next roomie because she seemed like fun and she's just sort of disappeared.

PLGRN8R

• Not quite a lurker

Hmmm. The skull in the background aside, the timing of this is too much. I can't help but feel like Angus' move will lead to Faye having a lonely night of drinking out on the town.
Where, of course, Murphy's Law dictates she'll run into an equally depressed/downtrodden Sven.
This is, of course, not what I WANT. But I feel like things for most of the characters in QC have been on the bright side so much that this storm's a'brewin'.

tl;dr: The Dram Llama is incoming

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I'm not sure where people get the idea that Sven is the villain of QC. There is no villain, that's one of the points.. It's a slice of life style comic. He's not 'out to get' anybody or anything like that. Just self absorbed to the point of obliviousness sometimes. Even then he has moments he realizes what a colossal jerk he can be.  He just hasn't had any drive or kick in the ass to improve himself. One of the core problems of people who just seem to luck into things or never have to work at improving their own lot. Look at how many spoiled rich kids living on easy street have problems with personal responsibility. For Sven it hasn't been a rich family, just that he hasn't had to really work for anything in his life. Faye walking away has been the first thing that's challenged that. He just is handling it poorly, being forced to grow up suddenly in his late 20s. That doesn't make him a bad guy... Just someone who needs a few swift kicks and a dose of reality and personal growth.

As far as Marigold's new room mate... For the sake of Teh Dramaz... I suggest Padma. :)

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

PLGRN8R

• Not quite a lurker

So I'm not sure how to "quote" yet, but this was said by Neko_Ali:
As far as Marigold's new room mate... For the sake of Teh Dramaz... I suggest Padma. :)
Jeph, as Emperor Palpatine himself once said.... DO IT.

(Like that! - Method)
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2014, 19:26 by Method of Madness »

swapna

• Curry sauce

Honestly, I think that is the way it should be. Faye and Angus have been dating for, what 6 months? A year at the most. They don't live together. I don't see why either of them should prioritize the relationship over a fantastic career opportunity.

Momo might be making enough at the library that she can be the other roommate for Marigold. She has said that she would like more space.

Took the words right out of my mouth, TRVA123. It's rather nice that Angus stops being a 'professional strawman'.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Up