• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's next on our agenda?

Angus and Faye: The Quickening
- 46 (33.3%)
Dora Tells Her Parents (To Predictable Results)
- 10 (7.2%)
The Library Implosion: Emily Finds Out!
- 19 (13.8%)
Moms Meet!
- 8 (5.8%)
Momo and May - The Odd Couple Revisited!
- 12 (8.7%)
Hanners FREAKS OUT!
- 7 (5.1%)
Pintsize!
- 7 (5.1%)
Love and Pancakes!
- 7 (5.1%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!
- 1 (0.7%)
...Wait, who IS that blue guy lying on the ground?
- 11 (8%)
CLINTONSPOLSION!
- 10 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2811-2815 (13-17 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 163008 times)

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

As far as Marigold's new room mate... For the sake of Teh Dramaz... I suggest Padma. :)

There'd be Dramaz galore, but going by AprilArcus's timeline, she hasn't been gone that long. Her grandmother wasn't well, but Padma didn't make it sound as though she had one foot in the grave and one on a banana peel.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer

Faye and Angus are boring now.  Let's sensationalize the race to be Marigold's new roomate!

Will it be May?  Steve?  Jimbo?  Claire?  Clinton?  Hanners?  Lydia?  Maridad?  Amanda?  Spaceship?  Dave?  That former boss of Marten's whose name I cannot remember right now?  Wil?

Smart money is probably on Clinton.  They can talk nerd to each other.

Raven.  She comes back, needs a place to live, Dora hooks it up.  Calling it now.

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication

Shouldn't Angus be responsible for finding the new roommate (not Marigold)? Obviously, it's important that Marigold like this new roommate. Regardless, Angus should be paying rent until he finds someone to take over the lease, or the lease terminates.

Also: c'mon, Angus. Suggesting that you will spoon on your friend's couch as your answer to "what about me?" Setting aside the fact that you should try to show sympathy towards your girlfriend with abandonment issues, and reassure her that you two will be ok, you should at least say that you'll be snuggling in the bed at your new apartment! It does not take THAT long to find a place in NYC if you're motivated to find something. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Raven would be wonderful to see again but Jeph seems to have run out of interest in her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

Shouldn't Angus be responsible for finding the new roommate (not Marigold)? Obviously, it's important that Marigold like this new roommate. Regardless, Angus should be paying rent until he finds someone to take over the lease, or the lease terminates.

That's why real estate agents exist. It depends on if they are both on the lease or not.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

what if Marigold's new roomate is .....

SVEN!!

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Your avitar takes that way over the top.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

As someone who was in that position.. that's garbage. I had to leave an apartment before because of a bad situation with my then room mate. They tried to stick me with paying half the rent for an apartment I wasn't living in (and had the police report to back up) until my ex room mate found someone else. Funny how she really didn't go looking until I refused to pay it. I seriously doubt that Angus could afford to pay half the rent there and rent on a place in The City anyway. Though if he could it would be a way to reassure Faye and a place for him to come back and visit her in. But that seems unlikely, and he could just as easily visit and stay with Faye for a weekend. If he's a nice guy (he is) then sure  helping Marigold find a new room mate would be good. Besides he is her friend not just some random person he roomed with. I don't think he would leave her in the lurch. But to expect him to pay half rent on a place he isn't living in is just to far beyond nice or reasonable.

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish

Also: c'mon, Angus. Suggesting that you will spoon on your friend's couch as your answer to "what about me?" Setting aside the fact that you should try to show sympathy towards your girlfriend with abandonment issues, and reassure her that you two will be ok, you should at least say that you'll be snuggling in the bed at your new apartment! It does not take THAT long to find a place in NYC if you're motivated to find something.

I'm pretty sure he's joking. Whether Faye appreciates the humor at the moment remains to be seen.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Let's sensationalize the race to be Marigold's new roomate!

It's just a shame Veronica already found a place.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

I'm pretty sure he's joking. Whether Faye appreciates the humor at the moment remains to be seen.

I'm willing to wager it's not going to go over very well, as there's a right time and a wrong time to make a joke to a serious question, and that's not it. 
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Well Angus just shot himself and his relationship in the knee. He better be hella quick on the roses and wine later after the impending fight finishes for half a chance in hell of saving this.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

...hmm.

About time Claire left the nest, isn't it?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Uh oh.  This isn't going well.   As someone else said, Faye is a distant second to Angus' career.

Poor Marigold.

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication

As someone who was in that position.. that's garbage. I had to leave an apartment before because of a bad situation with my then room mate. They tried to stick me with paying half the rent for an apartment I wasn't living in (and had the police report to back up) until my ex room mate found someone else. Funny how she really didn't go looking until I refused to pay it. I seriously doubt that Angus could afford to pay half the rent there and rent on a place in The City anyway. Though if he could it would be a way to reassure Faye and a place for him to come back and visit her in. But that seems unlikely, and he could just as easily visit and stay with Faye for a weekend. If he's a nice guy (he is) then sure  helping Marigold find a new room mate would be good. Besides he is her friend not just some random person he roomed with. I don't think he would leave her in the lurch. But to expect him to pay half rent on a place he isn't living in is just to far beyond nice or reasonable.

That situation stinks and I'm sorry you had to deal with it. But if you're on the lease, paying rent is not a matter of being a nice guy, being reasonable, or being able to afford two apartments at once. You're obligated to pay rent because you agreed to live there and signed a lease saying that you would pay part of the rent. I think there may be more leeway in your situation, but Angus isn't planning to move out because of a bad situation -- he's taking a new job. It would be extremely unfair to expect Marigold to pay Angus's portion of the rent, for which he may have contracted to pay, in the event Marigold were unable to find a new roommate.

(However, I'm sure Marigold will be able to find a new roommate.)

All that said, it is also unclear if Angus is on the lease. Angus and Marigold started living with each other because "when [Angus] moved into town for work, [he] heard she was looking for a roommate." It sounds like there may have been a vacancy in the apartment that Angus filled. It's unclear if he's even on the lease, and if he weren't, what he plans on doing would be more than fair.

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication

...hmm.

Good point!

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

Maybe Dale will move in with Marigold.

(Cue drama about whether May gets to move in too.)

It's just a shame Veronica already found a place.
Marigold already had to lay down the law with Angus about too much sex talk....

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

...hmm.

Good point!

Considering she's in the middle of a graduate degree and likely financially dependent on mom and dad, taking on MORE debt is not what Claire needs right now. So... no. No it's not.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

...hmm.

Probably depends on if the internship actually pays her. Though even if it does I don't think her staying at home is that unreasonable.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

How many relationships do you want to see implode over the next few weeks?
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Kinda like the symbolism of the skull picture between the two. Not that i'm reading anything further into it now......

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Kinda like the symbolism of the skull picture between the two. Not that i'm reading anything further into it now......

That picture's been there for years (in real time -- a.k.a., since at least six months ago, comic time :P ), though.

Platypodes

• Pancakes!

Yeah, but it's fitting that they happen to be standing in front of it right this moment.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Dramatis Personi
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

That picture's been there for years (in real time -- a.k.a., since at least six months ago, comic time :P ), though.

You and your logic ruin all the fun.... but anyway to whoever thought Claire would be a roommate choice, are you trying to sink the ship already before it even gets out of the harbor? She would certainly do/make some comment, or find out about Claire being trans and just blurt it out one day in front of everyone, unintentionally but still.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

You and your logic ruin all the fun.... but anyway to whoever thought Claire would be a roommate choice, are you trying to sink the ship already before it even gets out of the harbor? She would certainly do/make some comment, or find out about Claire being trans and just blurt it out one day in front of everyone, unintentionally but still.

It's a blessing. And a curse.  :evil:

I don't see Claire moving out -- see GarandMarine's comment above. I think the most plausible scenario is Momo taking up Angus's half of the rent. Any of the other scenarios is a real stretch, and would be played either for cheap laughs (the Odd Couple-ish scenario of Hannelore as a roommate, for instance -- also implausible 'cause Hanners is already self-sufficient) or cheap drama. Even Dale's unlikely; bear in mind that one reason he's working as many jobs as he is (or was -- we haven't heard much of the other jobs since he was hired at CoD) was to help his mom out.

Platypodes

• Pancakes!

Roommates can have privacy.  And Marigold's a little on the, er, self-absorbed side and probably wouldn't pick up on subtle clues. I don't think she and Claire would get along so great, though.  Claire can be touchy + Marigold can be tactless--bad combination.  And they don't have much in common as far as tastes and interests go.

Does Dale live with his mom?  I thought he had his own place, in which case sharing with Marigold would save money.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

Oh i didn't mean you azira, i just was too lazy to scroll back up and find the quotes... and you're right, no one makes a lick of sense to move in. You know what that means? New cast member, just what we always need right?

Mafarfloune

• Not quite a lurker

Does Jimbo need a place?

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Does Dale live with his mom?  I thought he had his own place, in which case sharing with Marigold would save money.

Not wise. They watch anime in the evenings and make the gamer with two backs at night and that's it. Honeymoon phase. Moving in is soooooo premature.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Oh i didn't mean you azira, i just was too lazy to scroll back up and find the quotes... and you're right, no one makes a lick of sense to move in. You know what that means? New cast member, just what we always need right?

Can anyone remember the context, or the exact wording? Jeph said something once to the effect "Everything leads to new characters".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Platypodes

• Pancakes!

Heyyy, what if May took the spot?  She's the only one in the cast who actually has seriously inadequate housing right now, crashing at Dale's where she isn't altogether welcome. Marigold's main issue with May was jealousy, and maybe she'd be more comfortable having May live with her than with her boyfriend.

Not wise. They watch anime in the evenings and make the gamer with two backs at night and that's it. Honeymoon phase. Moving in is soooooo premature.
Hey, I didn't mean that it would be good for their relationship.  It'd be a terrible idea.  But that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it. Those two aren't exactly renowned for their good sense about relationships.  "Hey, if we live together, we can save money AND bone more" might sound totally awesome to them.

PLGRN8R

• Not quite a lurker

I went back and checked how long(comic-wise) it was between Marten and Dora's break-up and Tai and Dora's eventual get-together. (446 strips if anyone is curious) But then I got to checking how long Marten and Dora lasted; approximately 1200 strips. Faye and Angus first kissed in strip 1724(note: Marten and Dora broke up EXACTLY 75 strips later). We're closing in on the 1100 strip mark. Call me what you will, but I don't feel like Jeph is gonna have their relationship last longer than Marten's and Dora's did, strip-wise. And with Marten now safely in another relationship, the Marten/Faye door will remain closed for the time being, as one of them will be dating. I feel like if there was ever a time to sink the Fayngus, it's now. Angus is sailing off into the sunset for a long time, and with the vast majority of the comic taking place in Northampton, I feel like it would be huge breaks in the action to cycle to Faye visiting Angus in NY every hundred or so strips. I stand by my prediction; Faye will go out for a lonely night of drinking, and run into Sven, as per Murphy's Law.

Either that or Angus will have some stupid Rom-Com epiphany about how much he loves Faye and just drop everything to be with her. And if he does that, I will PUKE.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2014, 01:30 by PLGRN8R »

Platypodes

• Pancakes!

It'd make more sense for Faye to have that epiphany and go to the city to be with Angus and pursue an art career, but I don't think Jeph will want to write Faye out of CoD.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

I see 3 possibilities here, somewhat in order of probability:
1. Someone new moves in with Marigold.
2. Dale moves in. This in turn frees up his apartment, which can then be used for someone new.
3. Faye moves in! This prompted not so much by Marigold but by Claire, who wants Marten for herself and decides to move in with him.

In both case 1 & 2, a possible variant is that a few of the characters in the comic has so far never been shown where they live, like Emily & Gabby and maybe Amir could be looking for a (better) place to stay and might be interested.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Hrmmm... Angus, old son, I know that you're excited about this but I think that Faye needs a little more reassurance than a glib one-liner. I do hope that, tomorrow, he can provide a little more detail than that or that ship is heading for a sand-bank.

Regarding Marigold's need for a new Roomie, almost all the other characters are settled and don't need a place. One option that occurs to me is that Momo's income may be enough to cover Angus's share of the rent. Jeph may be planning to explore what an AI might do if she suddenly had her own personal space. In the long-term, Marigold may move in with Dale and May gets her old room, turning 14 Elm Grove Lane into an experiment in AI domesticity.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Amir's been staying in the practice space. If he lived with Marigold then Hanners and martin might spend more time thinking about band practice.

This seems like it would be the least bad idea if it were in real life, but I don't know that I see a lot of character dynamical potential between Marigold and Amir.

How many relationships do you want to see implode over the next few weeks?

I know you're asking rhetorically, but I'm really ready for the all-consuming Dora/Tai NRE to wear off. They've both got some corners and hard edges that I would enjoy seeing bounce off each other.

Momo might be making enough at the library that she can be the other roommate for Marigold. She has said that she would like more space.

I don't think Momo has that kind of cash flow, since she's still paying off the debt Marigold took on for her new Chassis.

to whoever thought Claire would be a roommate choice, are you trying to sink the ship already before it even gets out of the harbor? She would certainly do/make some comment, or find out about Claire being trans and just blurt it out one day in front of everyone, unintentionally but still.

Oh god it's writing itself before my eyes. Claire is over to check out the room and Marigold just stares and her and reads her, and Claire sees it happening and feels super unsafe, and then the subplot dangles every time the two of them are in a conversation with a third person for the next thousand strips while we wait, dreading the moment that the other shoe is going to drop.

OMG I SHIP IT

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Bad time to make a joke Angus.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Capon

• Not quite a lurker

Faye moves in! This prompted not so much by Marigold but by Claire, who wants Marten for herself and decides to move in with him.

I don't see it. Claire is pretty conservative and cautious. She's probably super relieved that Marten accepts her for who she is, but she's also inexperianced with relationships and doesn't want to rock the boat just yet. It also doesn't make sense financially: grad school is bloody expensive, and living at your folk's place makes things so much easier. Claire also has good emotional support at home with her Mom, and Clinton if he lives there, too.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I don't know what you lot are on about. It was the last panel, it's the best time to make a joke.  :-D

It's fair to expect Angus to give one month's notice, at least in rent. Apart from that, I don't see how there is any further obligation on him; legal, moral, or otherwise.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

I can see it on a strategic level. With Claire moving to the main cast and the relationship with Marten, they need a permanent foil for them. Moving Clinton into the secondary cast and giving him a known location could be part of setting him up for that role.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

I don't know what you lot are on about. It was the last panel, it's the best time to make a joke.  :-D

It's fair to expect Angus to give one month's notice, at least in rent. Apart from that, I don't see how there is any further obligation on him; legal, moral, or otherwise.

I honestly don't know how it works in other parts of the country or the world, even, but when I was in college in Pennsylvania, if someone on the lease was breaking the lease, that person was responsible for vetting a new roommate as far as ability to pay and pass a credit check, otherwise that person forfeit their deposit and racked up additional fees. This was also in a college town, as well. Who knows. It may be very simple for Marigold to find a replacement.

I had wondered about Padma's Faye-like friend moving in, then I remembered that she is Angus's ex and Marigold presumably was one of the "housemates" who sang "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" when they broke up. Too bad. Could have been interesting.

Maybe Steve's ex, the marine biologist-to-be comes back and moves in?

Capon

• Not quite a lurker

In British Columbia, leases are either are termed (usually for a year), or are month-to-month.

During a term lease, if the lease holder breaks the agreement, the holder is responsible for looking for a new tenant or paying the rest of the agreement term.

Once a term-lease is expired, it automatically goes into a month-to-month. The only thing then for the lease holder is responsible for is giving 30 days notice to the landlord. If there is a second tenant on the month-to-month lease, it's the remaining tenant's responsibility to find a new tenant, not the first tenant.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Both of them had questionable ability to consent

Questionable Consent? :claireface:
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I honestly don't know how it works in other parts of the country or the world, even, but when I was in college in Pennsylvania, if someone on the lease was breaking the lease, that person was responsible for vetting a new roommate as far as ability to pay and pass a credit check, otherwise that person forfeit their deposit and racked up additional fees. This was also in a college town, as well. Who knows. It may be very simple for Marigold to find a replacement.

I admit that I had assumed that he's not breaking the lease, or is not on the lease; otherwise, I daresay he would indeed be up for more than a month's rent, and I assume he's done his homework in this regard.

In NSW, if you break the lease early, you have to pay rent until a new tenant is found. Never heard of responsibility to find a new tenant yourself, but maybe some places do require that.

Warning - blah blah blah
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Laughing problems away ... I hate when people do that.
Carpe Diem

ElsaStegosaurus

• Not quite a lurker

SKULLMASTER, MASTER OF SKULLS DEEMS THIS MORTAL WEAK AND UNFITTING.

Srsly, Angus, we know you're excited and all, but not a great start.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Bad time to make a joke Angus.
Agreed, Faye is going to explode tomorrow. Let us hope she just kicks him out instead of brandishing the sword. Decapitations are not fun anymore.

In all probability, this is The End of the Faye/Angus relationship. Angus will move to NYC (if he survives the breakup), and Jeph writes him out of the QC storyline. It is sad, but also necessary for the story dynamics. Unless Faye and Angus were to marry and have children, all interesting aspects of this relationship have been dealt with. Time to move on.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Well, that is the obvious solution, yes. I don't see either objecting.

(Cue drama about whether May gets to move in too.)
Of course she will. Which means certain adjustments for Momo, which have already been foreshadowed.

Gotta replenish the font of plotlines. This one's a rich lode too.

Obvious, really.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Angus and Marigold/Momo share a two bedroom apartment. We are not sure how Momo lives, but the best guess is that she sleeps (or sits) in Marigold's room, or on the couch. Also, Momo has said she wanted more room to herself. Momo has a similar job as Marten at the library, which probably means she has about the same income as him. If Marten can afford to pay his rent, so should Momo, especially since she has no food and beer expences (but perhaps a higher electricity bill). Momo is probably paying Marigold back for her Idoru upgrade, but we have no idea how much.

Dale and May moving in would be a terrible idea. This would mean May and Momo would have to share a room, and that would never work. Also, Dale would quickly tire of Marigold's sloppy housekeeping; Marigold would be edgy around May, and angry at Dale for supporting May. The apartment's bandwidth would be too small for their combined gaming activities, and they would quickly become gaming enemies again. Unless Jeph wants a quick breakup,  this should not happen.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20   Go Up