• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's next on our agenda?

Angus and Faye: The Quickening
- 46 (33.3%)
Dora Tells Her Parents (To Predictable Results)
- 10 (7.2%)
The Library Implosion: Emily Finds Out!
- 19 (13.8%)
Moms Meet!
- 8 (5.8%)
Momo and May - The Odd Couple Revisited!
- 12 (8.7%)
Hanners FREAKS OUT!
- 7 (5.1%)
Pintsize!
- 7 (5.1%)
Love and Pancakes!
- 7 (5.1%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!
- 1 (0.7%)
...Wait, who IS that blue guy lying on the ground?
- 11 (8%)
CLINTONSPOLSION!
- 10 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2811-2815 (13-17 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 162826 times)

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

So please tell me I'm not the only one who took far too long to get the joke of the last panel....

RyanPm40

• Not quite a lurker

Is it just me or does the speech bubble in panel two look like Faye is the one talking?

It tails towards angus right at the end

I disagree haha it is very clearly pointed to the right

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

Is it just me or does the speech bubble in panel two look like Faye is the one talking?

It tails towards angus right at the end

I disagree haha it is very clearly pointed to the right

The curved part of the bottom part of the speech bubble is pointing towards faye and the straight part, which usually indicated who is talking, is pointed towards angus.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

So please tell me I'm not the only one who took far too long to get the joke of the last panel....

Don't feel bad.  Usually she's smoking in those pants...
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2014, 18:54 by Gladstone »
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

RyanPm40

• Not quite a lurker

The curved part of the bottom part of the speech bubble is pointing towards faye and the straight part, which usually indicated who is talking, is pointed towards angus.

Haha is my browser like showing an old cached copy of this strip that Jeph promptly fixed after? Both the curved and straight part appear to be pointed at Faye in this to me

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

Haha is my browser like showing an old cached copy of this strip that Jeph promptly fixed after? Both the curved and straight part appear to be pointed at Faye in this to me

yeah it seems like it.

McFace

• Plantmonster
  • Myes rather!

And so it begins. Feels like everything is kinda coming to a head here.

I just really hope that whoever said that Faye might drunkenly cheat on Angus with Sven is wrong. :/

I don't think it'll go that way. I could see Angus, now that he has the gig, trying a full-court press to get Faye to move with him. She freaks out, ties one on, and blurts out to him that her FWB has confessed his love for her and that she's now not sure how she feels and does not want to move with him. Voila, breakup and ... possible messiness with Dora, Marten, et. al.

I also owe some forumites an apology. I'm not sure how we go from this Dora to one who wants to cut Sven completely off. Unless something majorly fucked-up happened off screen, I'm now sort of side-eyeing why Dora freaked out that way.

(Fixed the link -Method)

Another possibility!

As for the Dora thing......I think she is just protective of her friends. And this is the 2nd time that Sven has messed up/with Faye. Hence the extreme reaction.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Yeah, the default front page has the speech bubble wrong; if you navigate to comic 2811, it's correct.

Edited to add:  Nobody's wondering what poor Mar-bear's gonna do when half the rent moves to New York?
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

Yeah, the default front page has the speech bubble wrong; if you navigate to comic 2811, it's correct.

Edited to add:  Nobody's wondering what poor Mar-bear's gonna do when half the rent moves to New York?

Have Momo pay rent and use that to take off of her upgrade.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

I don't think it'll go that way. I could see Angus, now that he has the gig, trying a full-court press to get Faye to move with him. She freaks out, ties one on, and blurts out to him that her FWB has confessed his love for her and that she's now not sure how she feels and does not want to move with him. Voila, breakup and ... possible messiness with Dora, Marten, et. al.

I also owe some forumites an apology. I'm not sure how we go from this Dora to one who wants to cut Sven completely off. Unless something majorly fucked-up happened off screen, I'm now sort of side-eyeing why Dora freaked out that way.

(Fixed the link -Method)

In short? I think its because Dora still is in need of the shrink.

Easy, Dale moves in... although they may need to upgrade their internet bandwidth to handle all the gaming
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2014, 19:09 by Krald »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Hmmm.  All I'm wondering is if Jeph's going to do a whole week of Faye/Angus drama, or switch off with Claire/Marten, alternating every day or two, with occasional forays into the rest of the cast...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese

NICE job on the art.  Especially Faye's face in the fourth panel.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Hmmm.  All I'm wondering is if Jeph's going to do a whole week of Faye/Angus drama, or switch off with Claire/Marten, alternating every day or two, with occasional forays into the rest of the cast...

Nah, he'll now switch to several totally new characters, and we won't see any of the standard cast for the next two weeks.

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

Yep, it looks like someone off-scene (off-camera is a little too weird) is saying the two word rejoinder.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Easy, Dale moves in... although they may need to upgrade their internet bandwidth to handle all the gaming
I consider this unlikely: their relationship is less than a month old in-comic. (edited for timeline consistency)
Mistakes, ahoy!

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Nah, he'll now switch to several totally new characters, and we won't see any of the standard cast for the next two weeks.

Or we'll get yet another subplot with further complications. The anthroboyfriend that Hannerdad sent to Hannelore (that Hannelore returned) will be commandeered by Station, who drops in to visit/declare his love for Hannelore.

(I typed that with tongue firmly in cheek, but now that I think about it, I could nearly see this happening)
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer

Ooh, Marigold can move in with Marten in Faye's old room!  Hijinks ensue!  Perfect!

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

That would be interesting and a good juxtaposition between claire/marten and faye/angus. One new and full of hope the other full of doubt and possible trouble

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Ooh, Marigold can move in with Marten in Faye's old room!  Hijinks ensue!  Perfect!

Or she could move in with Hanners. And she'd have to be very careful not to piss Hannelore off -- she's the one person in the regular cast who could literally make a body disappear without a trace.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more

I suspect that we're going to have another day or two (that is to say, another comic or two) of Fave/Angus drama, followed by Faye meeting Marten to gripe about her issues, but all he wants to talk about is Claire.

Or we'll get yet another subplot with further complications. The anthroboyfriend that Hannerdad sent to Hannelore (that Hannelore returned) will be commandeered by Station, who drops in to visit/declare his love for Hannelore.

(I typed that with tongue firmly in cheek, but now that I think about it, I could nearly see this happening)

She's willing to be hugged by May, maybe an AI boyfriend would be just the thing for her.
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

I suspect that we're going to have another day or two (that is to say, another comic or two) of Fave/Angus drama, followed by Faye meeting Marten to gripe about her issues, but all he wants to talk about is Claire.

I also suspect as much.

I'd really like the focus to be on Faye and Angus right now.  I feel like the Claire and Marten thing has pretty much been explored as much as it could up to this point - they kissed, they talked, they're going to slowly build a relationship.  I don't think we need to explore their dynamic anymore unless there's actual development in it, but that's just my personal opinion.

I'm also kinda anxious for Faye and Angus because I did the whole LDR once a few years ago.  It's really fucking hard to pull off, and I've seen it both work and fail.  I know people usually attribute the failure of LDR's to the fact that they were LDR's, but when you really think about relationships fail all the time for a variety of reasons, so you might as well try all you can and see if it works out anyways (and if you need an excuse to end a relationship, you probably just wanted to end it anyways, but it depends).

Warning - while you were typing 5 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.  :mrgreen:

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I wouldn't see that going well. In fact I can easily imagine Hanners having a freak out over the idea of living with anyone else. She's improved a lot since her introduction, but not that much. Besides, she's one of the cast that doesn't have to worry about money or sharing expenses.

If Faye decides to move with Angus (unlikely, but you never know), then I could see Marigold moving and Marten moving in together, since they would both need room mates. Of course, that would put Pintsize and Momo in the same apartment.. Hijinks and chaos ensue. I think it's unlikely that Faye will want to move though.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

She's willing to be hugged by May, maybe an AI boyfriend would be just the thing for her.

You mean Momo yes?
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I think Marten and Claire are done for the day. Maybe a bit more uneventful snuggling on the porch, but they've said all the important stuff that needs said so they can snuggle offpanel.

Next we see Marten it's probably going to be tonight to pick up the pieces of Faye off the floor. Which is not the best time to talk about your great new girlfriend.

At most, might get a one shot of Marten at work(Claire off or he could have just talked to her after work) getting some sass from Tai.

Comic Strip Critic

• Not quite a lurker
  • I read the funny pages in search of awesome.
    • My YouTube Page!

That would be interesting and a good juxtaposition between claire/marten and faye/angus. One new and full of hope the other full of doubt and possible trouble

Two ships enter, one ship leaves...two ships enter, one ship leaves...
I talk about comic strips and webcomics on the Internet.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Ahhhh. There's the drama.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

Jeph has gotten much better with expressions over the years - the look on Faye's face is pretty clearly trying desperately to hold back tears. 

I just really hope that whoever said that Faye might drunkenly cheat on Angus with Sven is wrong. :/

I suggested that.  Given Faye's issues with abandonment I don't think she could handle a long-distance relationship.  I also think it's impossible to actually see her moving to NYC and leaving the strip - she's been too central of a character for that, and I honestly don't think she loves Angus strongly enough to give up her entire existing social network - all her in-comic friends - to be attached to his hip in New York. 

Basically her only options at this point are to end the relationship in a mature way, or an immature way.  Mature would be to break up with Angus with a minimum of drama.  Immature will involve telling him a long-distance relationship is okay, but it not really being so.  Which leads to loneliness, a lot of self-loathing, and coping with alcohol.  And yes, this leaves the door open for Sven to walk right back in.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Sven's done some shitty things, but do you really think "take advantage of a drunk person" is a low he'd sink to?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I think Marten and Claire are done for the day. Maybe a bit more uneventful snuggling on the porch, but they've said all the important stuff that needs said so they can snuggle offpanel.

Well, since Marten visited Claire that morning, and Faye didn't have to work until 5:00, it's quite likely they've already spent the day together (squeeeee), and Jeph'll focus on Faye and Angus for a bit.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

Two ships enter, one ship leaves...two ships enter, one ship leaves...

I just got a image of two boats smashing into each other (on land) demolition derby style in a giant dome, also Tina Turner is providing the soundtrack

eschaton

• Furry furrier

Sven's done some shitty things, but do you really think "take advantage of a drunk person" is a low he'd sink to?

I don't think he'd look at it that way.  He's very self-absorbed, and is in love with Faye (or so he believes).  People don't tend to think rationally when they're that into someone - they're just hoping beyond hope that somehow things will work out.  He obviously wouldn't hook up with her if she was falling down drunk.  But if she had just had a few too many, I think he'd try to rationalize that the booze is just bringing out the love which was always there.   

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

One thing I'm wondering, too... If Claire is studying library science at a post graduate level... I'm wondering just how high she's aiming. Librarian of Congress, maybe?
They don't hire women like her. In this universe, anyway. It is not a safe space, something that only time will change.

https://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights_hiv-aids/schroer-v-library-congress-case-profile

When she interviewed for a job as a terrorism research analyst at the Library of Congress, she thought she'd found the perfect fit, given her background and 16,000-volume home library collection on military history, the art of war, international relations and political philosophy. Schroer accepted the position, but when she told her future supervisor that she was in the process of gender transition, they rescinded the job offer.

But that's off-topic. My reaction to today's comic - everyone could see this coming, but Roh Roe.... maybe a franchise in the making? Faye certainly has the smarts to run her own shop in the same style (minus the spiders in the basement), and with regular trips to get ground beans and cakes from the other shop, she wouldn't be cut off from her support.

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

techkid

• Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I think it is too soon to say "break-up" just yet. Faye is definitely not happy with Angus passing the audition, not because of anything to do with him, but now her life has been thrown into turmoil and she needs to make one of three choices:

- Follow Angus to NY, uprooting both her social circle AND comfort zone.
 - Stay behind, and manage a long distance relationship (IIRC I think it was only determined to be about 2 or 3 hours drive between Northampton and New York, so it could be done as a weekend thing).
 - Stay behind, decide that a long distance thing isn't going to work, and leave him.

Options 1 and 3 are going to hurt like hell. Faye's insecurities will come back into play hard and fast, I'd say. Plus, if she does follow him and end up breaking up, where will she go? Would she return to Northampton? Would she want to?

I don't think she will leave him at this point in time. Angus is the perfect counterbalance to her personality. But her entire social structure is based in Northampton, and I couldn't possibly see her kicking that down either.

Either way. Last week we had The Feels. This week will be Teh Dramaz.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Dale moves it to make more pancakes as part of the rent.

That brings up a question: Does she even make enough money on IT work? She still has "payments" on Momo's new chassis.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

We essentially already know that she's going to try the long-distance thing. I think she said as much during Angus's first audition trip. She's just not going to enjoy the transition. Probably alternating weekends at each others' places.

RE Marigold's rent: We don't know how much she makes, beyond the fact that purchasing the Idoru chassis would have necessitated a diet of ramen if Momo didn't have the library gig.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy

You mean Momo yes?
So I do, yes.  Thank you.
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

You mean Momo yes?

Actually, this happened before Momo for about a week worth of strips. Pretty much Hanners rejected the idea, but not before giving Winslow a whirl and surviving an AnthroPC inquisition.

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy

Actually, this happened before Momo for about a week worth of strips. Pretty much Hanners rejected the idea, but not before giving Winslow a whirl and surviving an AnthroPC inquisition.
Dammit, y'all are making me look bad. :oops:

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

One thing I'm wondering, too... If Claire is studying library science at a post graduate level... I'm wondering just how high she's aiming. Library of Congress, maybe?

IMHO, she'd be happy running a library in a small town; what matters is that it would be her library. :wink:

Sure, but I'd think that given a bachelor's in English, she could have a good shot at running any library sooner.

Nope, you need a Masters of Library Science to run a library pretty much anywhere (unless it's a very small town, maybe). My mom was the assistant librarian at an elementary school for several years on the strength of her Bachelor's in English Lit, but when she wanted to become a Real Librarian she had to go back to school (at 40-something) to get her MLS. That's most likely the degree Claire is working on.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Dammit, y'all are making me look bad. :oops:

Glad to help!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Hoo boy.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

vforvancouver

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.

Ahhhh. There's the drama.

The drama never ceases...
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Like sand through an Hourglass.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Is there a place in this forum to track the current plots happening in the Q.C. world? Since the previous three weeks' worth of comics dealt, largely, with the squees over the beginning of Claire and Marten's relationship, I think it's important that we should remember everything else happening. With permission, I've made a list:

- Claire and Marten are in the beginning stages of their relationship (last visit: comic #2808)
- Angus's callback in NYC and possibly having to make his relationship with Faye long distance (last visit: #2781)
- Dora wanting to cut Sven out of her life as much as possible (last visit: #2779)
- Sven's unrequited pining for Faye (last visit: #2770)
- Veronica (Marten's mom) moving to Northampton to be with Jim (last visit: #2718)

Then, there are the usual goings-on with all of the characters that, while part of the story, aren't their own story (if that makes sense).

Hope this list helps...as we consider the next few weeks of Q.C., it's probably a good thing to keep track of everything so we're not too blindsided when something new happens.

(Edit / addition: AprilArcus's timeline of Q.C. over in the "Passage of time in QC" thread is an invaluable resource! http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,30197.msg1274454.html#msg1274454)

Cheers.
Thanks for that list! Don't forget Emily's possible attraction to Marten, though.

And the one time she broke out in tears (give peas a chance). I still wonder what is up with that.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

The first time, Claire interrupted her before she could say the pun (rude), then Hanners didn't get it at all.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication

And so it begins. Feels like everything is kinda coming to a head here.

(Fixed the link -Method)

Another possibility!

As for the Dora thing......I think she is just protective of her friends. And this is the 2nd time that Sven has messed up/with Faye. Hence the extreme reaction.

While there are certainly instances of Sven being shitty, Dora cutting Sven out of her life has never really made sense to me. He has counseled her and helped her feel better. Sven let Dora live with him after she and Marten broke up. He seems like a pretty good brother who supports his sister.

Additionally, Sven is not the bad guy he's made out to be around these parts. He tried to offer Marten insight so Marten and Dora could become a better couple. He also took Hannelore on a pretend date. Faye even started being nice to him

To get back to Dora, there has been at least one instance where Dora assumed the worst about Sven without being right ("Dora, it's been MONTHS since I hooked up with ANYBODY. That's not who I am anymore. Which you'd know, if you ever bothered to ask.") Dora hasn't seen Sven in the comic, on screen, since 2194. I don't think it would be a reach to guess that Dora hasn't talked to Sven in a while and has never bothered to consider his feelings.

(Fixed formatting ~Loki)
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2014, 22:59 by Loki »

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

There is kinda a part of me that wants Faye to go back to Sven despite it being a terrible, terrible idea just to make things as awkward for Dora as possible.

mvdwege

• Plantmonster

Given Faye's issues with abandonment I don't think she could handle a long-distance relationship., this leaves the door open for Sven to walk right back in.

Not necessarily so. Jeph doesn't do static characters. Faye already developed past the worst of her social anxieties, an honest try at a long distance relationship might even be what she needs to get past her abandonment issues.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

Did anyone else misread "smoking" as "soaking" at first?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Well, it wasn't unexpected. Faye now has some difficult choices to make. The thing is, she's not especially good at that. Does she try the long range thing? I suspect that part of her problem will be expecting the worst and then trying to make it happen, all whilst lying to herself that she's trying to 'protect' Angus. This will test just how much progress Faye has made, mentally and emotionally.

I'm sort of thinking that this will impact on Marten and Claire. Faye is going to want a shoulder to cry on; will Claire be willing to share? Will Marten even be there? If not him...? Well she has a potential comfort blanket in the form of Sven!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Up