• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's next on our agenda?

Angus and Faye: The Quickening
- 46 (33.3%)
Dora Tells Her Parents (To Predictable Results)
- 10 (7.2%)
The Library Implosion: Emily Finds Out!
- 19 (13.8%)
Moms Meet!
- 8 (5.8%)
Momo and May - The Odd Couple Revisited!
- 12 (8.7%)
Hanners FREAKS OUT!
- 7 (5.1%)
Pintsize!
- 7 (5.1%)
Love and Pancakes!
- 7 (5.1%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!
- 1 (0.7%)
...Wait, who IS that blue guy lying on the ground?
- 11 (8%)
CLINTONSPOLSION!
- 10 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2811-2815 (13-17 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 163311 times)

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Perceiving anything bad that happens to members of a certain group as a direct result of belonging to that group is a very dangerous form of confirmation bias.

We could have a productive discussion about whether that's correct or not, right up until one or the other of us resorted to a straw man or started calling names, and that's the behavior I was calling out. 

Also, it helps to recognize that a person who lives with being rained on every. fucking. day. might be forgiven for assuming water coming from a cloudless sky is yet more rain.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

mvdwege

• Plantmonster

It's what we make it.  Calling a person who is more sensitive to certain aspects of misogynist culture the 'PC Police' is not helpful.
Except that there was nothing misogynist in there. It was directed at Faye in particular, not at women in general.

Yes, and I admitted that because I went for a pithy comment I included not enough contextual statements to make that clear, and that valkygrrl was correct to point that out.

So why do people persist in turning this into an attack on a poster who feels uncomfortable with my original phrasing?

Rubick

• Not quite a lurker

Sad times all around. I have to admit it hits home a little as somebody who's had a relationship peter out because of distance is a very similar way. Very meek and it just sort of happens. Faye not being able to look at Angus says a lot.

It feels the reality of Angus getting the job has hit harder than they both realised.

We won't be seeing much of Angus for now (I assume he does return after NYC) but this will hit Faye pretty hard, I'd imagine. Not only will she have to deal with a presumed breakup and possibly blaming herself...while seeing a lot of people in her life in the ennui of a new relationship...it's a place where things can get rough.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

Could we please get back to discussing the comic?

I tried to think of everyone who is currently single in strip to see who Faye could, theoretically speaking, hang with. 

Discarding the ridiculous first, as far as I know, Faye has never met Gabby or Amir.  She doesn't seem to like Clinton or Emily much, and I don't think she could really have much in-depth interaction with either.  She might get drunk with Jimbo, but that's about the extent of her interactions with him. 

That leaves Hanners, who is always a fifth wheel and won't help Faye much in the single world.  Or maybe Raven coming back into the comic - she was one of my favorite old characters, and the two characters not only worked well together, but Raven also came up with some good advice for Faye from time to time.  Probably the closest she could get to a "gal pal."

And of course Sven.  it all comes back to Sven. 

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

That leaves Hanners, who is always a fifth wheel and won't help Faye much in the single world.

I agree with a lot of this, but not this part.  I think Hanners will be incredibly supportive and instrumental to Faye getting through this, should the breakup actually go through.  She's not too much help in experience with breakups, but she's great at showing people how to have a fulfilling life without a significant other.

I don't know; that's just my two cents.  Plus it might give us some more focus on Hannelore, who's been moved a little bit to the sideline in more recent storylines.

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

I tried to think of everyone who is currently single in strip to see who Faye could, theoretically speaking, hang with. 

Discarding the ridiculous first, as far as I know, Faye has never met Gabby or Amir.  She doesn't seem to like Clinton or Emily much, and I don't think she could really have much in-depth interaction with either.  She might get drunk with Jimbo, but that's about the extent of her interactions with him. 

That leaves Hanners, who is always a fifth wheel and won't help Faye much in the single world.  Or maybe Raven coming back into the comic - she was one of my favorite old characters, and the two characters not only worked well together, but Raven also came up with some good advice for Faye from time to time.  Probably the closest she could get to a "gal pal."

Faye did meet Gabby at Emily's party. Not sure they interacted much because Faye and Angus usurped Marten and Claire's primo makeout spot. I'm not really happy that Gabby's not in the comic much, but oh well. I think she and Faye would get along great, actually.

Maybe Marigold? Idk. Possibly Penny or maybe Faye runs into Angus's old flame at the Secret Bakery and they discover that they actually like each other.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Yeah, to borrow a concept from Dune - he's looking more and more like the hub of the QC universe, with the wheel poised to spin.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Plot twist: Sven has been the main character all this time. Even since 0001.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

And noone - including valkyrgrrl herself - seems to mind that the accusation of misogyny was phrased in a misandrist way. Yay for double standards. Because male victims of violence are not allowed to have sensitivities, they must "man up" or be laughed at. Right?
Hooray for common sense! My most sincere thanks and admiration!

Rubick

• Not quite a lurker

Hannelore's proven adept at helping Faye before, even when she's really bad (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1108) and has often been surprisingly good with relationship advice. Probably the best person to be around for Faye.

Although I too would love to see the return of Raven.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I find it worrying when the response to 'maybe not talk about slapping women around' isn't so much 'sorry to offend anyone, I obviously would never encourage such violence in a real situation, I was just being flippant' and is more like 'SMACK THEM BOTH AROUND'.

Hitting people is generally bad form, unless your hitting them with the following list of approved items:

1) A care bare stare.
2) You're Best Shot (but only if you are Pat Benetar)
3) A snowball (an actual snowball, not the snack food) during a snowball fight
4) The sweet fragrance of bacon.

5) Music. When it hits you, you feel no pain.

3.  She's dated Angus maybe something like six months in QC time.  She's known her friends up there for years now.  Why would she ditch her friends for Angus, when, as noted, there's always a chance your S/O will dump you, but your friends have stuck with you through thick and thin?

Hence "But you're dropping your whole life, in a heartbeat." For Faye, that's exactly what a move would entail, while Angus seems to feel that the only thing he'd really be leaving behind is Faye. The stakes are very different for both of them.

The problem is that those common expressions reinforce ideas that are really quite bad...

Show me a single case in your social circle (of common, down-to earth people, which I assume you have, since I don't know any better) where the use of one of these common expressions has led to actual violence.

I suggest one of the admins move this discussion and the relevant messages, starting with walkygrrls to a better place than WCDT, since it is definitely out of place here.

You're not getting it, kerky. Words influence how we think, and when they assume a level of debasement as just "background noise," that by itself is damaging. You're also talking about people who've had words thrown at them out of hate and anger, which tends to lead to a more finely-tuned sense of what's being said... tends to happen when misinterpreting something can leave you dangerously vulnerable. That's only compounded when people use those slurs not only as a verbal attack, but all too often as the prelude to a physical one. I'm probably about as much of an absolutist for free speech as you are, but with that said, any freedom carries with it responsibilities, including knowing the consequences that our exercise of our rights has on other people. Plus, as Mooski put it,

Also, it helps to recognize that a person who lives with being rained on every. fucking. day. might be forgiven for assuming water coming from a cloudless sky is yet more rain.

Moving right along...

Well, as much as my own internal biases tend to make me side with Faye against Angus, I guess the best clue to what's going on comes from the storyteller, who titled the thing 'You idiots.'

They're both pretty caught up in their own issues at the moment, and their relationship might die of each waiting for the other to notice.

Fortunately, they have a rather observant circle of friends who are willing to sort them out. 

Oh, wait...  Marten?  Dora?  Marigold? 

Forget I said anything.

Both Marten and Dora are actually pretty good at providing perspective on other people's issues (especially Marten). They're just a total mess when it comes to getting through their own (especially Marten). I'd include Hanners in that group as well, though I think she's probably the most self-aware person in-comic when it comes to dealing with her own stuff.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

Checked in on WCDT at 6 a.m. - ~35% pointless caterwauling about use of a totally common idiom that has no real violent intention.

Checked in at 2:30 p.m. - ~85%

« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2014, 12:09 by aphanisis81 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

its like the thread swerved into tumblr
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

I am a bit disappointed by Angus. I had expected him to hug her and say something lie "We will make it work. We will make it work."

But he obviously knows her better than I. Maybe it reaqlly is hopeless.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

I am a bit disappointed by Angus. I had expected him to hug her and say something lie "We will make it work. We will make it work."

But he obviously knows her better than I. Maybe it reaqlly is hopeless.

I don't know.  After re-reading, I kind of think that sad expression he has is more of a, "Okay, clearly you need time to process this.  I'll try again later."  It seemed too...I don't know, calm? to be true acceptance of her breaking up with him, especially since she didn't outright say it.  He may be revisiting this after she gets off work.

FilliamHMuffman

• Not quite a lurker

@FilliamHMuffman,

The point to remember is that, in a very real sense, Faye is not an adult. She's a sixteen year old girl in a twenty-six year old woman's body who's just watched her father blow his brains out in front of her. She's made progress over the past 18 or so in-universe months but not that much; certainly not enough to be willing to give up her surrogate family and hometown (or at least that is what she is being asked to do in her darker subconscious) for what is emotionally on a par with a schoolyard love affair.
That's actually demeaning to people with trauma. Faye is in her mid twenties and since the suicide has lived in a stable lifestyle with supportive friends and has even gone to a therapist. To suggest that at this stage Faye should be looked at as a child denies her agency as an individual. Fact of the matter is that Faye has agency and is responsible for mistreating Angus and generally being a jerk.
"Enter their minds, and you'll find the judges you're so afraid of - and how judiciously they judge themselves."

swapna

• Curry sauce

... I know it was just a typo, but it fit so well...

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more

The thing that those complaining about the alleged 'misandry' of the initial complaint, and furthermore defending their choice of words, are missing/ignoring, is that 1) violence by men against women has considerable institutional and cultural support in the U.S. and elsewhere in a way that is not the case for violence by women against men (she deserved it/she's crazy), and 2) the specific phrase 'to slap some sense into [someone]' carries with it considerable baggage of exactly that type.  Specifically, the context in which that phrase formed is that of the 'hysterical woman carrying on until a man smacks her around to shut her up', a cultural meme which has lost a moderate degree of currency of late, but is still present, and was ubiquitous as recently as a generation ago.  In cases where a man has sense 'slapped into him', there are clear overtones of effeminacy, and implications that he is 'less of a man' to have reacted in such a way, i.e. like a woman.  The misogyny here should be pretty clear at this point, but I'm betting we're going to get at least five more pages of whiny disingenuous garbage still. 
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

The thing that those complaining about the alleged 'misandry' of the initial complaint, and furthermore defending their choice of words, are missing/ignoring, is that 1) violence by men against women has considerable institutional and cultural support in the U.S. and elsewhere in a way that is not the case for violence by women against men (she deserved it/she's crazy), and 2) the specific phrase 'to slap some sense into [someone]' carries with it considerable baggage of exactly that type.  Specifically, the context in which that phrase formed is that of the 'hysterical woman carrying on until a man smacks her around to shut her up', a cultural meme which has lost a moderate degree of currency of late, but is still present, and was ubiquitous as recently as a generation ago.  In cases where a man has sense 'slapped into him', there are clear overtones of effeminacy, and implications that he is 'less of a man' to have reacted in such a way, i.e. like a woman.  The misogyny here should be pretty clear at this point, but I'm betting we're going to get at least five more pages of whiny disingenuous garbage still.

That's all true, but the idea that all idioms and colloquialisms with unsavory etymologies should, like privilege, be checked, leads us down a very slippery slope indeed. If the poster who took issue with the phrase had said something like "I agree that Faye is being unreasonable, but let's maybe try to avoid phrases that connote violence against women," I'll bet the debate would have died off a long time ago.

Instead, the offended party took the shrill route, referring to the phrase's usage as advocating casual violence against women. I'm sorry, but such a reaction is, in fact, hysterical and reactionary. That's what gets people's hackles up. I think most people who post here are intelligent enough to have a conversation about words and their connotations. But one can hardly blame people for getting defensive when the reaction is so disproportionate.

Two days ago, while folding laundry in the presence of my wife, I referred to a sleeveless undershirt as a "beater," which is short for "wife-beater," which is a nickname for a garment that derives from the trivialization of domestic abuse. I accept that etymology. I'm also not going to start referring to beaters as "sleeveless undershirts."

On the other hand, those who try to turn these debates around by pissing and moaning about misandry are, I would argue, woefully misguided.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Dalillama: I'd say that if you're going to hold a commenter responsible for years of things that were said and done before s/he posted and possibly existed, and preemptively dismiss any protest against that as "whiny, disingenuous garbage," then yes, five pages minimum is a reliable estimate. I'll watch. Maybe.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Depends on how loud the music is. I still have mild hearing damage from going to see too many loud bands when I was in college.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

So it's okay to be offended by people being too sensitive, but it's not okay to be offended because you're too sensitive and  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

In other news, I have a theory that this is all actually leading up to Angus and Sven.  It's going to be a huge twist, right around Thanksgiving, where Faye goes to visit Angus and he's living with Sven in a very cozy, rent-controlled apartment with two schnauzers, and they have the best matching cable-knit sweaters ever.  Ever.

Calling it now.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Not so. Listen to this, and if you don't feel pain, you're already dead.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

I wouldn't like to hug Faye. I'd like to slap some sense in her: "Why didn't you talk about this? Now it may be too late!".

Slapping is not a substitute for talking.  Don't do it; not in this forum, and preferably not anywhere!

Instead, the offended party took the shrill route, referring to the phrase's usage as advocating casual violence against women. I'm sorry, but such a reaction is, in fact, hysterical and reactionary.

Hi! Did you know that you are using tone policing to derail someone else's conversation? Maybe don't do that.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

WHY?  :cry:

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

I wouldn't like to hug Faye. I'd like to slap some sense in her: "Why didn't you talk about this? Now it may be too late!".

Slapping is not a substitute for talking.  Don't do it; not in this forum, and preferably not anywhere!

Instead, the offended party took the shrill route, referring to the phrase's usage as advocating casual violence against women. I'm sorry, but such a reaction is, in fact, hysterical and reactionary.

Hi! Did you know that you are using tone policing to derail someone else's conversation? Maybe don't do that.

The "slapping is not a substitute for talking" line isn't what I was referring to in the first place, so spare me your condescending links. I read Jezebel too.

Of course, participating in an ongoing conversation is derailment! I just kinda took offense at the idea that someone is advocating casual violence by using an old, common phrase, but obviously I'm just "derailing" and "marginalizing" people, because you, person who knows nothing about me, have decided I have "privilege."
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2014, 14:23 by aphanisis81 »

starkruzr

• Emoticontraindication

Faye is really uncomfortable with anyone -- herself, her boyfriend, etc. -- stepping outside of the boxes of their lives, isn't she? This whole "you're abandoning your whole life here" thing reminds me a lot of her reaction to Dora's suggestion that she do more with art after the wild success of her dinosaur espresso machine.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

seems like there are 2 topics in this thread.  those about the comic, and those about using a turn of phrase and framing it as sexism.  The former is fun and on topic, the latter gives me a headache and seems misplaced here.   :psyduck:

Honestly I hope this isn't over for them.  Communication is key to any relationship and Faye seems to be lacking that in this arc...like all of it.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

The "slapping is not a substitute for talking" line isn't what I was referring to in the first place, so spare me your condescending links. I read Jezebel too.

Of course, participating in an ongoing conversation is derailment! I just kinda took offense at the idea that someone is advocating casual violence by using an old, common phrase, but obviously I'm just "derailing" and "marginalizing" people, because you, person who knows nothing about me, have decided I have "privilege."

Better watch out the tumblr-ites will have your privilege checked

swapna

• Curry sauce

seems like there are 2 topics in this thread.  those about the comic, and those about using a turn of phrase and framing it as sexism.  The former is fun and on topic, the latter gives me a headache and seems misplaced here.   :psyduck:

Agreed. But it helps in deciding which users to put on the ignore list, so that's good!

Honestly I hope this isn't over for them.  Communication is key to any relationship and Faye seems to be lacking that in this arc...like all of it.

While I think it is (and should be) over, I agree. I really wanted at least one of them channel a bit of Marten - he's good at talking about stuff, and he'll insist on it.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

God forbid.

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

God forbid.

yeah god forbid that its said every second by condescending hive mind people who are making everything worse than actually better

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

God forbid.

yeah god forbid that its said every second by condescending hive mind people who are making everything worse than actually better

I can only assume your irony was unintentional.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

God forbid.

The thing is, I completely believe in the existence of white, male, and hetero privilege. I think people who deny their existence sound foolish. I hate MRAs and people who trot out "misandry!" as a rejoinder in all debates about misogyny.

But it drives me up the wall when people try to shut down a halfway-interesting conversation via tut-tutting, as though having links to some online forum tactics wiki makes them an expert in argument and rhetoric. "But privilege!" is not a compelling argument, no matter how many times people try to make it into one.

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

God forbid.

I can only assume your irony was unintentional.

I can only assume you being facetious is intentional 

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

Kiiiinda surprised a mod hasn't jumped in here yet.

What ever happened to Wil and Penelope?

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

it drives me up the wall when people try to shut down a halfway-interesting conversation via tut-tutting, as though having links to some online forum tactics wiki makes them an expert in argument and rhetoric. "But privilege!" is not a compelling argument, no matter how many times people try to make it into one.

I see it differently. You were trying to turn an interesting conversation about domestic violence and how it is talked about idiomatically and portrayed in comics into a one-sided conversation about other forumgoers "shrill", "hysterical" tone, vocabulary whose misogyny is thinly concealed indeed.

Don't do that. It's an ad-hom attack that shuts down the dialogue and punches down at people who are making an effort to engage with you on emotionally difficult topics. If you really have a problem with someone's tone, you always have the option to engage them personally by private message.

EDIT: I would really love it if you would read this article, "The Distress of the Privileged", and talk with me about it by sidechannel.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2014, 14:56 by AprilArcus »

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Wil gets trotted out for the Horrible Revelation storylines, and Penelope gets trotted out whenever Jeph wants to make a joke about the fact that we never see the rest of the CoD people any more. They're furniture more than characters at this point.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

It sorta seems like they're the happily ever after couple, doesn't it? When they've had problems, they've sorted them out. Penelope was mad that Wil was unemployed and mooching off his parents...Wil fixed that. They might be the least toxic pairing we've seen in the QCverse.

I do love seeing Wil at the HR.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

WHY?  :cry:

To show us how to grow through suffering endured.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

it drives me up the wall when people try to shut down a halfway-interesting conversation via tut-tutting, as though having links to some online forum tactics wiki makes them an expert in argument and rhetoric. "But privilege!" is not a compelling argument, no matter how many times people try to make it into one.

I see it differently. You were trying to turn an interesting conversation about domestic violence and how it is talked about idiomatically and portrayed in comics into a one-sided conversation about other forumgoers "shrill", "hysterical" tone, vocabulary whose misogyny is thinly concealed indeed.

Don't do that. It's an ad-hom attack that shuts down the dialogue and punches down at people who are making an effort to engage with you on emotionally difficult topics. If you really have a problem with someone's tone, you always have the option to engage them personally by private message.

Yes, I know that you see it differently.

It's not an ad hominem attack in the least. Please stop accusing me of fallacies I'm not committing. An ad hominem attack would be attacking the poster him or herself, perhaps his or her personality, instead of what he or she said. I categorically attacked the argument, saying that it's disproportionate to accuse someone who uses the phrase "Slap some sense into her" of literally advocating casual violence. That I characterized that accusation as "shrill" doesn't make it ad hominem.

Your accusation that I'm being misogynist is, I'm afraid, simply absurd. I don't advocate slapping women or using violence-connotating idioms as a matter of course. But I also don't advocate accusing people who DO do the latter, especially when they clearly meant it figuratively and without ill intent, of advocating violence. Hey, I'm all for having the conversation and pointing out the phrase's etymology. I'm not all for telling the person that by using it, they're almost as bad as some shlub who smacks his wife.

Now THAT would be ad hominem.

You keep trying to squeeze in the word "tone," I suppose to justify your link to the Tone Policing definition. My criticism has nothing to do with tone. I'm characterizing the argument itself as shrill.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

I think they were last seen at Marten and Faye's place when the whole Angus and Faye have the hots for each other drama went down with Marigold.  They were talking about how Tai was committing a sucker rule violation.

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Well, there was a lot happening between my last post and now. I just want to point out that disagreeing with the way Angus is dealing with this is not "Angus hate" or "Faye can do no wrong". And in this situation at least I do not find it to be gendered - if Faye had a great opportunity and steamrolled Angus like that I would be equally pissed off.

Basically, I think her behaviour is pretty normal and if he hadn't acted upset that she was worried she wouldn't have shut down so much. Getting mad at her while she tries to process a huge life change and is stuck at work is not cool. It hadn't occurred to me that she didn't intend to try long distance just because she was overwhelmed, but he cornered her with a "won't you even try?" which puts her in a position of having to say yes or no immediately and was never going to go well.

I would really like to see a real conversation about this between them, regardless of the outcome, but I don't know if I'm going to get it. :(

P.S. I love your picture AprilArcus, I appreciate your look. :D

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

When I saw what that was, I couldn't shut the tab fast enough. "My Heart Will Go On" over a picture of Goatse would be less painful.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Global Moderator Comment I was in at the beginning, as has been quoted. I also made no reference to gender in my remark (though someone else did). There is nothing new being said now, so everyone please just stop, NOW - whatever you want to say has almost certainly already been said.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

Never mind checking your privileges, I suggest you guys check your current sub-forum and quit baiting each other. If there's something about which you'd like to have a serious discussion, now that you're done calling each other out and have fired off your first shots, consider taking that discussion to the DISCUSS! forum for a better discussion. If you want to bait each other, take it to the BAIT!! forum.

To "slap some sense" into someone may have an undertone of misogyny, esp. when the slappee is a woman. The poster who used the phrase clearly didn't intend it as such, and the expression is not misogynistic in itself, but it's possible to put it into a broader context and decide that it's kinda misogynistic. One might argue that slapping sense into people has no gender requirements, which is why Batman is so happy to slap Robin. Others may in turn point out the relation to pimp-slapping, and who can argue the misogyny inherent in that practice?

But then some may note that, putting aside misogyny and misandry and what have you, slapping some sense into someone is just another expression of the casual violence that permeates our everyday language, for better and for worse. If there is any reason to take issue with such language, I believe that is the best one: we should occasionally take a moment to consider just how violent and aggressive human nature is, even under seemingly normal peaceful circumstances, because that may help us become more peaceful and gentle creatures. It's true that violence against women is ever-present in every culture, but slapping sense into people isn't a specific expression of misogynistic violence--it's an expression of general human violence. The violence isn't purely--or even primarily--physical either. It's an emotional and social violence. It's about delivering a shock and causing humiliation. Often, that's precisely what humans want to give their fellow humans. Of course, in this case I think an uncareful poster simply felt strongly about the matter and wanted to express those feelings in a forceful manner.

I am currently equally angry at both of them, perhaps a little more at Angus than at Faye. I hope they don't fuck it up. I hope Dora gently blows some sense into their ears.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

I was in at the beginning, as has been quoted.  I also made no reference to gender in my remark (though someone else did).  There is nothing new being said now, so everyone please just stop, NOW - whatever you want to say has almost certainly already been said.

I'm hoping to continue the conversation with AA over private message. Sorry for all the off-topicness.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

I am currently equally angry at both of them, perhaps a little more at Angus than at Faye. I hope they don't fuck it up. I hope Dora gently blows some sense into their ears.

Your icon is hypnotizing. I can't stop watching...

Aimless

My current most recent one decided today was a good day to end it, the day that Faye and Angus end it.

Amidst all the talk of violent language and people being oversensitive about people who they think are oversensitive, I almost didn't see this post. Just wanted to say, in case you were happy in your relationship and would have preferred to have remained in it, I'm sorry to hear this and you're welcome over to the RELATE forum if you'd like to just vent or just whatever

Aimless

Your icon is hypnotizing. I can't stop watching...

He's headbopping to the beat of online arguments :o
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Up