• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's next on our agenda?

Angus and Faye: The Quickening
- 46 (33.3%)
Dora Tells Her Parents (To Predictable Results)
- 10 (7.2%)
The Library Implosion: Emily Finds Out!
- 19 (13.8%)
Moms Meet!
- 8 (5.8%)
Momo and May - The Odd Couple Revisited!
- 12 (8.7%)
Hanners FREAKS OUT!
- 7 (5.1%)
Pintsize!
- 7 (5.1%)
Love and Pancakes!
- 7 (5.1%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!
- 1 (0.7%)
...Wait, who IS that blue guy lying on the ground?
- 11 (8%)
CLINTONSPOLSION!
- 10 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2811-2815 (13-17 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 159221 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It's Sunday in Northampton, so here ya go.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Continuing my reread. Got to 2203, and saw that they're described as "summer interns". Given the contents of this thread, even the whole intern dynamic issue may wind up evaporating soon. Just a thought.
Mistakes, ahoy!

vforvancouver

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.

That thread is sooooo last week...
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

It's kind of difficult to vote in the poll today. It's mostly because I can see three arcs being just about equally likely. I'll just list them in my order of preference:
  • Momo and May just discussing the mystery that is human romance (in the context of Dale and Marigold but also applying to Marten and Claire);
  • Angus coming home and immediately starts to avoid talking to Faye about the audition; this makes her very, very worried;
  • A whole week of Marten and Claire walking around Northampton and making wry observations about things.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2014, 01:13 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Half Empty Coffee Cup

I think the Angus and Faye arc is most likely, just because we've already got this strip with Faye and Dora. Now that we've turned to them, they'll probably be talking about other things soon, too... and Dora's still not talking about the Svenectomy in Faye's presence.
Mistakes, ahoy!

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

Gash... How I hate the certainty it will be monday morning for me before I get to see the next strip here in Europe...

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

I've been thinking about it and I know what I hope happens (mean it probably won't).  I suspect that Tai, after celebrating Marten and Claire's new status, realises how this could go wrong officially.  I would hope that something like this would occur:

Tai: Given recent developments, and the fact that both Marten and I know some of you more than others, it has been decided that your evaluations will be conducted by Gus.  During that time Marten and I will be "on holiday".  In fact we've been given strict orders not to be anywhere near the library during that period.
Francisco

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

Tai: Given recent developments, and the fact that both Marten and I know some of you more than others, it has been decided that your evaluations will be conducted by Gus.  During that time Marten and I will be "on holiday".  In fact we've been given strict orders not to be anywhere near the library during that period.

I don´t see a problem. It´s possibly up to Tai and the librarians to evaluate the interns, I agree with others who have said that Marten, although involved in their training initially won´t have a word in the evaluation. On the other hand I see him leaving his job at the library soon to make way for Claire to get her dream job and, as I mentioned in the earlier WCDT, start a sucessful career in something to do with music. Or, who knows, maybe he will really stick to his job in the library until he is 60. Nah, I don´t think so, he quickly brushes off this possibility as "depressing" and I think now he will be more eager than aver to make a change happen.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

kerky, Given what he says a little later and what he's worried about, I don't see him leaving his job any time soon.

The way I read it: He wants to do something else but he's too worried about bills to make that move just yet.
Francisco

BenRG

• coprophage

That second strip is the one that makes me think Tai is such an excellent manager, such a good person and so ideal to help Dora confront her demons and find happiness. She is intelligent, caring and clearly understands how the real world works and what you need to do to survive in it. She enjoys teasing and has a romantic streak a mile wide but, push come to shove, I think that you can rely on her to do the right thing both towards her subordinates and also towards her employers.

In all likelihood, none of us will ever have our dream job, so we should stick with what we have, be good at it and find satisfaction in that achievement.
~~~~

Omio

• ... ... ...

...I've noticed a lack of cloaca in the past several months. I have a sinking feeling that we might want to get some ear plugs soon.

Also, squee successfully contained.
...Trying to meta on Tetris is impossible, I swear.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

kerky, Given what he says a little later and what he's worried about, I don't see him leaving his job any time soon.

The way I read it: He wants to do something else but he's too worried about bills to make that move just yet.
Something in 2789 strikes me as a Chekhov's gun.
Quote from: Marten
And when someone does figure that out, they'll give it to someone who does.
Why do I suddenly think Marten's fears are very right... and it's Claire that they'll give it to? That would create hella relationship drama, without it being at all about Claire's gender.

Blackbird

Continuing my reread. Got to 2203, and saw that they're described as "summer interns". Given the contents of this thread, even the whole intern dynamic issue may wind up evaporating soon. Just a thought.

Huh.  I was initially going to retort with 2366, as on first reading it sounded like Marten and Claire both expected Claire to be at the library through at least fall semester, but the conversation reads equally well as "You're going to be a librarian someday so this is what you'll have to put up with" so who knows.

Although I'd have to imagine that logically the library would need more help during the schoolyear, and maybe these summer internships are just an easy in for Claire and Gabby (who may or may not have encountered an allosaurus in recent weeks), and they'll both be first in line for school-year assistantships come fall.  I'm leaving out Emily, because I see her only doing this for a summer before going back into the computer lab, and maybe Emily leaving the library will be the impetus of the love triangle drama. 

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Hello! Occasional lurker, first-time commenter, spent the last two weeks glued to the forums but didn't want to throw my two cents into the pennystorm just yet.  Also, I'm trying to conserve my squees because, let's face it, even if Marten and Claire only go on a few dates before deciding to just stay friends (doubtful), at Jeph's storytelling pace they're going to be a couple for the next several months (our time) at least, and we don't want to wear ourselves out, right?  So many opportunities for adorable situations still ahead!  That said: Squeeeeeeee.

(On the other hand, this could develop into a long-lasting relationship that plays out over several years worth of strips, which makes me happy to no end. Eeeeee.)

Also, regarding the discussion about Claire's nickname at the end of last week's thread, if she wasn't already "Red," and if Marigold hadn't claimed it already, my vote would be for Claire-bear.

After all, she already has that Claire-bear stare.  :claireface:
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

BenRG

• coprophage

Here's the thing: Claire told Marten that they were all graduate students so they've finished their first courses (Library Sciences in Claire's case and IT in Emily's). That means that I suspect that they're either on further studies or that Smif College takes a small number of post-grads for work experience for say a year or something after graduation.

I guess what I'm saying is that Claire will be doing work experience at the library for at least a year before being either being permanently employed (as has been implied has happened with Tai) or finding a job elsewhere.
~~~~

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, Gladstone!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

One thing I'm wondering, too... If Claire is studying library science at a post graduate level... I'm wondering just how high she's aiming. Librarian of Congress, maybe?

BenRG

• coprophage

One thing I'm wondering, too... If Claire is studying library science at a post graduate level... I'm wondering just how high she's aiming. Library of Congress, maybe?

It's a love for her; at least in part, she's studying it because the whole thought of being the custodian and bringer of knowledge is something she wants to be. It's rare but it happens - someone studies for love rather than career or advancement. She wants to know more about being a librarian.

IMHO, she'd be happy running a library in a small town; what matters is that it would be her library. :wink:
~~~~

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Sure, but I'd think that given a bachelor's in English, she could have a good shot at running any library sooner.

Then again, maybe it's a case of parking herself in academia to allow time to make transphobia be a bit less of a problem for her, as well as give herself a more direct shot at, say, Gus's job.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2014, 11:04 by bhtooefr »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It just occurred to me that Jeph could do a complete time jump, about two-three years into the future, with people who aren't even in the cast right now being treated as if they're familiar friends, and key cast members (Dora, Claire, Tai, Faye, Angus - HANNELORE!) not even mentioned.

Just another Joe like 46

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

It just occurred to me that Jeph could do a complete time jump, about two-three years into the future, with people who aren't even in the cast right now being treated as if they're familiar friends, and key cast members (Dora, Claire, Tai, Faye, Angus - HANNELORE!) not even mentioned.

That'd be fairly cruel even for Jeph. I can see it as a steve eating cereal -esque type troll for a strip or two

Gladstone

• The Tickler

"There have been so many implausible marriages in the past few years!"
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

BenRG

• coprophage

This is why alcohol and story writing are a bad combination.  :lol:
~~~~

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Robot hands before they even showed up in strip prove without a shadow of a doubt that that is the 100% cannon ending from Jeph's mouth.

Of course, pizza girl could be anyone! It could be Claire in a wig! It could even be Penelope's twin sister.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

No, I already had something down for Pen's sister.
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

You forgot an option

Clintsplosion.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

This is why alcohol and story writing are a bad combination.  :D

Tell that to Jimbo…

Actually, whatever did happen to his latest oeuvre? The one about the werewolf gadgeteer princess…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Tai would probably know, she's a fan of his work.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Tell that to Jimbo…

Actually, whatever did happen to his latest oeuvre? The one about the werewolf gadgeteer princess…

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2350
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

downtowneddie

• Emoticontraindication
  • And now, The Toad Elevating Moment

Is there a place in this forum to track the current plots happening in the Q.C. world? Since the previous three weeks' worth of comics dealt, largely, with the squees over the beginning of Claire and Marten's relationship, I think it's important that we should remember everything else happening. With permission, I've made a list:

- Claire and Marten are in the beginning stages of their relationship (last visit: comic #2808)
- Angus's callback in NYC and possibly having to make his relationship with Faye long distance (last visit: #2781)
- Dora wanting to cut Sven out of her life as much as possible (last visit: #2779)
- Sven's unrequited pining for Faye (last visit: #2770)
- Veronica (Marten's mom) moving to Northampton to be with Jim (last visit: #2718)

Then, there are the usual goings-on with all of the characters that, while part of the story, aren't their own story (if that makes sense).

Hope this list helps...as we consider the next few weeks of Q.C., it's probably a good thing to keep track of everything so we're not too blindsided when something new happens.

(Edit / addition: AprilArcus's timeline of Q.C. over in the "Passage of time in QC" thread is an invaluable resource! http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,30197.msg1274454.html#msg1274454)

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2014, 16:32 by downtowneddie »

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

So about 5 weeks since the wedding and ss clairemarten sailing out of port. Guess that kinda lays to rest the coming out of nowhere arguement

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

So about 5 weeks since the wedding and ss clairemarten sailing out of port. Guess that kinda lays to rest the coming out of nowhere arguement

As the old expression goes, it's not where you take it from but where you take it to that matters.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

And the journey is what really matters, anyway.

EDIT: New strip's up. Welp.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2014, 17:41 by Half Empty Coffee Cup »
Mistakes, ahoy!

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

New comic posted that I can't see yet (stupid CloudFlare) but the text below it is apparently :0

edit -- Looks like her pants are on fire.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

So no happy times with the library crew for this comic

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

(click to show/hide)
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What's next on our agenda?

Angus and Faye: The Quickening    19 (28.4%) <== Uh, oh...
Dora Tells Her Parents (To Predictable Results)    6 (9%)
The Library Implosion: Emily Finds Out!    13 (19.4%)
Moms Meet!    5 (7.5%)
Momo and May - The Odd Couple Revisited!    9 (13.4%)
Hanners FREAKS OUT!    4 (6%)
Pintsize!    2 (3%)
Love and Pancakes!    3 (4.5%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!    1 (1.5%)
...Wait, who IS that blue guy lying on the ground?    2 (3%)
CLINTONSPOLSION!    3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67
Just another Joe like 46

Omio

• ... ... ...

...So there will be more alcohol in the near-future. Now, who's gonna be the next drunk-party?

Warning: While you were typing, a sixth of a page suddenly appeared. You may wish to consider adding a decent joke.

McFace

• Plantmonster
  • Myes rather!

And so it begins. Feels like everything is kinda coming to a head here.

I just really hope that whoever said that Faye might drunkenly cheat on Angus with Sven is wrong. :/

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

I just really hope that whoever said that Faye might drunkenly cheat on Angus with Sven is wrong. :/

Knowing faye and her problems with drinking and self doubt that possibility just became much more possible

Half Empty Coffee Cup

Things may go south fairly soon if alcohol is involved. I see it going one of two ways, and the road better traveled is disaster, strewn with empty bottles of Crisis Wine and Emergency Bourbon... and we know that Angus is not too keen on glasses of Coping Mechanism. There doesn't have to be any cheating for there to be some form of argument.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new pairs of pants have been set aflame. You may wish to get the fire extinguisher.

Mistakes, ahoy!

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

The wrong person is talking in panel two.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

Whelp, time to see if Faye is willing to do the long distance thing or if she freaks out and shuts Angus out.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

stephber

• Not quite a lurker

Pure speculation but... if Faye moves out to follow Angus, Claire can move in.... interesting possibilities.

Omio

• ... ... ...

Pure speculation but... if Faye moves out to follow Angus, Claire can move in.... interesting possibilities.
This is a squee at a horrible host!

...I approve.

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

I'm leaning towards a breakup. Purely because Marten is no longer single.

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

I don't think it'll go that way. I could see Angus, now that he has the gig, trying a full-court press to get Faye to move with him. She freaks out, ties one on, and blurts out to him that her FWB has confessed his love for her and that she's now not sure how she feels and does not want to move with him. Voila, breakup and ... possible messiness with Dora, Marten, et. al.

I also owe some forumites an apology. I'm not sure how we go from this Dora to one who wants to cut Sven completely off. Unless something majorly fucked-up happened off screen, I'm now sort of side-eyeing why Dora freaked out that way.

(Fixed the link -Method)
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2014, 18:19 by Method of Madness »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

She's not lying, it IS great. Just not great for her.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RyanPm40

• Not quite a lurker

Is it just me or does the speech bubble in panel two look like Faye is the one talking?

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

Is it just me or does the speech bubble in panel two look like Faye is the one talking?

It tails towards angus right at the end
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Up