• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's next on our agenda?

Angus and Faye: The Quickening
- 46 (33.3%)
Dora Tells Her Parents (To Predictable Results)
- 10 (7.2%)
The Library Implosion: Emily Finds Out!
- 19 (13.8%)
Moms Meet!
- 8 (5.8%)
Momo and May - The Odd Couple Revisited!
- 12 (8.7%)
Hanners FREAKS OUT!
- 7 (5.1%)
Pintsize!
- 7 (5.1%)
Love and Pancakes!
- 7 (5.1%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!
- 1 (0.7%)
...Wait, who IS that blue guy lying on the ground?
- 11 (8%)
CLINTONSPOLSION!
- 10 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2811-2815 (13-17 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 163268 times)

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

What would Sven have to do in order to overcome the general perception that he's bad for Faye?

What, if anything, would redeem him?

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

Quick reminder that when Sven initially reappeared, it was with Jeph's note that he'd had plans for him for quite some time.

I think we're underestimating the role Sven is going to play in this arc.  I'm not so sure it's going to be as black and white as "Angus and Faye break up, or take on a long distance relationship, and Sven makes a move in the meanwhile."  It wouldn't really make sense, Sven's immaturity aside, to have him exhibit no growth at all.  Coupled with Dora cutting him out altogether, I think we might be jumping the gun on the version of Sven we're going to be getting moving forward.

Sven has been stuck in the same growth spot since he really cottoned to the fact that Faye meant something to him. Believe me. I just powered through everything from Faye finally comes clean with Marten to Tai gives Marten interns. Sven pops up now and again, and he basically doesn't change at all after a certain point.

Admittedly, he's not the same person he was before Faye. But post Faye he grows disillusioned with hookups and introspective about his fitness for relationships. And he sticks with that. If anything, this single minded focus on his own feelings during his return could be a sign of regression. (I don't claim it is.) There's no reason (yet) to assume he's grown. Changed? Yes. He thinks he's in love now. But that doesn't mean he's actually expanded his self.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

And what I'm saying is that Claire may decide that the best course of action is to actually be that shoulder to cry on for Faye, specifically to reduce the risk that she runs to Marten and does something.

I know Claire's got trust issues, but this situation's a bit different. For one thing, she already knows the Faye/Marten dynamic; for another, she's placed her trust in Marten over something very significant to her, and he's validated that trust repeatedly in the time since. I think she's still a bit on the fence about Faye, but that relationship's still under development.

I don't know why, but if they break up, I don't see an alcohol-inspired crash-and-burn for Faye.  Maybe one pouty drunken night of it, some general sadness, and a trip to see her therapist (which would be interesting - haven't seen her in a while!). 

I feel like Faye's gotten better about controlling her anger.  Angus is probably the more angry one in this situation.  I know it's his dream job and everything, but he's not being very empathetic.  LTRs require more conversation than 'I'm moving, but you can totally come crash on my friend's couch!' and I can understand Faye's alarm at how little Angus seems to care about that.

Could that be the last straw for the breakup, I wonder? Faye's gotten much better with the drinking, but we've seen a few times in-strip where Angus has gotten angry at her for drinking. If their current conversation doesn't come to a resolution, I could see Faye hitting the crisis wine, and then a drunken encounter (not even as drunk as she's been in the past, mind you) between her and Angus leading to him saying something he shouldn't and that precipitating the breakup.

Quick reminder that when Sven initially reappeared, it was with Jeph's note that he'd had plans for him for quite some time.

I think we're underestimating the role Sven is going to play in this arc.  I'm not so sure it's going to be as black and white as "Angus and Faye break up, or take on a long distance relationship, and Sven makes a move in the meanwhile."  It wouldn't really make sense, Sven's immaturity aside, to have him exhibit no growth at all.  Coupled with Dora cutting him out altogether, I think we might be jumping the gun on the version of Sven we're going to be getting moving forward.

Sven has been stuck in the same growth spot since he really cottoned to the fact that Faye meant something to him. Believe me. I just powered through everything from Faye finally comes clean with Marten to Tai gives Marten interns. Sven pops up now and again, and he basically doesn't change at all after a certain point.

Admittedly, he's not the same person he was before Faye. But post Faye he grows disillusioned with hookups and introspective about his fitness for relationships. If anything, this single minded focus on his own feelings could be a sign of regression. (I don't claim it is.) There's no reason (yet) to assume he's grown. Changed? Yes. He thinks he's in love now. But that doesn't mean he's actually expanded his self.

Sven will be back, no doubt. As for a way forward -- a redemption, if you will -- I wouldn't be surprised at all if he stopped by to apologize for being an ass, saw that Faye had been drinking, or crying, or both, and tried to comfort her, sans any sexual intent (maybe implausible, but not impossible). Dora decides to check up on Faye, sees her brother there (cue, "This isn't what it looks like"), flips her wig, and goes off on one or both of them. That could take all three characters off on an interesting new trajectory.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

What would Sven have to do in order to overcome the general perception that he's bad for Faye?

I would like to see Sven figure out that he's poly, start working on his communication skills around ethical non-monogamy, and stop chasing after monogamous people. Sven x Delilah, basically. It would be a huge, weird digression. Faye in particular has nothing to gain from patching things up with him.

PLGRN8R

• Not quite a lurker

And what I'm saying is that Claire may decide that the best course of action is to actually be that shoulder to cry on for Faye, specifically to reduce the risk that she runs to Marten and does something.

I know Claire's got trust issues, but this situation's a bit different. For one thing, she already knows the Faye/Marten dynamic; for another, she's placed her trust in Marten over something very significant to her, and he's validated that trust repeatedly in the time since. I think she's still a bit on the fence about Faye, but that relationship's still under development.

I don't know why, but if they break up, I don't see an alcohol-inspired crash-and-burn for Faye.  Maybe one pouty drunken night of it, some general sadness, and a trip to see her therapist (which would be interesting - haven't seen her in a while!). 

I feel like Faye's gotten better about controlling her anger.  Angus is probably the more angry one in this situation.  I know it's his dream job and everything, but he's not being very empathetic.  LTRs require more conversation than 'I'm moving, but you can totally come crash on my friend's couch!' and I can understand Faye's alarm at how little Angus seems to care about that.

Could that be the last straw for the breakup, I wonder? Faye's gotten much better with the drinking, but we've seen a few times in-strip where Angus has gotten angry at her for drinking. If their current conversation doesn't come to a resolution, I could see Faye hitting the crisis wine, and then a drunken encounter (not even as drunk as she's been in the past, mind you) between her and Angus leading to him saying something he shouldn't and that precipitating the breakup.

Admittedly, he's not the same person he was before Faye. But post Faye he grows disillusioned with hookups and introspective about his fitness for relationships. If anything, this single minded focus on his own feelings could be a sign of regression. (I don't claim it is.) There's no reason (yet) to assume he's grown. Changed? Yes. He thinks he's in love now. But that doesn't mean he's actually expanded his self.

Sven will be back, no doubt. As for a way forward -- a redemption, if you will -- I wouldn't be surprised at all if he stopped by to apologize for being an ass, saw that Faye had been drinking, or crying, or both, and tried to comfort her, sans any sexual intent (maybe implausible, but not impossible). Dora decides to check up on Faye, sees her brother there (cue, "This isn't what it looks like"), flips her wig, and goes off on one or both of them. That could take all three characters off on an interesting new trajectory.

I would actually LIKE to see an arc like that. Sven being completely platonic and just a positive presence for Faye, and then have Faye hug him to thank him, and then Dora walks in and just EXPLODES. It would be a very interesting story to investigate, because 90% of Dora's anger explosions have been resolved by Faye bringing her back down to Earth about everything, and this would be an important one for Dora to realize that Sven is NOT AS BAD as she thinks he is.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

One possible scenario that I've thought of is that Sven catches up with Faye when she's in a really bad place. Given his emotional immaturity, he is out of his depth and calls the only person who he has ever been able to rely on to help him during a crisis of this nature - Dora.

After realising that her brother isn't responsible and is actually trying to help, helping Faye becomes the catalyst for Dora and Sven to, if not reconcile, at least come to an understanding of each other that they've previously lacked. This lack being because they've both basically always run away in some way as soon as they confronted too deep issues about themselves and the other.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2014, 13:30 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

OK, I didn't necessarily think it was awful for Angus to be all tongue-in-cheek last comic, but I am unimpressed by his lack of empathy here. I think he should go for it! He should also have some idea that this will be very bloody hard on Faye, who was trying to be supportive until you called her out on it then guilt-tripped her for not being ecstatic you're moving away. Hurrumph.

Edit to add:
I would like to see Sven figure out that he's poly, start working on his communication skills around ethical non-monogamy, and stop chasing after monogamous people. Sven x Delilah, basically. It would be a huge, weird digression. Faye in particular has nothing to gain from patching things up with him.
I don't necessarily think he's poly but otherwise, what you said. If he is, definitely that. If he's just lacking in self-reflection and ethics then actually learn to communicate what you want. I didn't personally see him sleeping with the other woman as cheating when he was seeing Faye, but I did think that when she was being all "MY RULES" he should have had a real discussion and not just pretty much told her to get stuffed. That and his lack of caring when she wanted to spend more-than-just-sex time with him made me judge him far more than sleeping with someone else when they weren't monogamous (he didn't owe her anything, but I think everyone should make an effort to show caring to a friend who is clearly in pain).

Basically, he needs to learn to deal with his own damn emotions. If you're sleeping with someone who can't handle sharing and you don't want to be monogamous, suck it up and stop sleeping with them. End of story. I've had to make that call and it's not fun but it's part of not being an arsehole.

The I LOVE YOU bullshit was pretty weird to me. Not that he felt that way, but that he really had so little emotional maturity. I had to partially chalk it up to the comic medium for it to make sense to me.

Oh, and 100% support for anyone cutting off any family members who they experience as toxic. No one owes anyone their regard and cutting off family can be the healthiest thing you've ever done.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2014, 11:39 by Fenriswolf »

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

OK, I didn't necessarily think it was awful for Angus to be all tongue-in-cheek last comic, but I am unimpressed by his lack of empathy here. I think he should go for it! He should also have some idea that this will be very bloody hard on Faye, who was trying to be supportive until you called her out on it then guilt-tripped her for not being ecstatic you're moving away. Hurrumph.

This.  In a lot of ways, I feel like Faye might have reacted better if he had simply said, "Hey, let's sit down and talk about what we want to do here," instead of basically laying out all the plans right there in front of her...including the ones involving her.  Like, okay, you're excited - of course you are - but let's take a moment and remember that while this is your life dream and you have every right to pursue it with vigor, someone else's life is still going to be impacted by this decision.  At least let her have a moment to have a say, to talk it out, instead of just making all of the decisions without even saying anything to her.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

This.  In a lot of ways, I feel like Faye might have reacted better if he had simply said, "Hey, let's sit down and talk about what we want to do here," instead of basically laying out all the plans right there in front of her...including the ones involving her.  Like, okay, you're excited - of course you are - but let's take a moment and remember that while this is your life dream and you have every right to pursue it with vigor, someone else's life is still going to be impacted by this decision.  At least let her have a moment to have a say, to talk it out, instead of just making all of the decisions without even saying anything to her.

Makes you wonder if he's already mentally checked out of the relationship. Tone deafness is one thing. It's something else entirely to just lay everything out for your significant other as a fait accompli versus sounding them out. IIRC, he was doing the same thing earlier, before the callback... telling her that they (she) could just carry on long distance, but never really asking what she felt, or what felt right for her. And it's all the more glaring when someone's put as much energy into "getting the girl" but won't put the same kind of energy into maintaining the relationship or considering her thoughts and feelings.

PLGRN8R

• Not quite a lurker

I actually DO want Sven to come back into Faye's life in a positive way. Maybe not as a partner or even FWB, but even just as a friend. Their friendship, while it remained just a platonic friendship, was actually really nice. I enjoyed watching it and, while I DID see their eventual hook-up coming, I liked seeing them interact as just friends. They complement each other's issues in odd ways. Faye has abandonment issues, Sven has commitment issues. Faye is confrontational, Sven is uncontentious. Faye's weapon is her fists, Sven's is his words. Maybe they're not at a place right now where anything beyond or even approaching friendship is possible, but I think that's definitely something the future holds. Now, be that in 10 strips, 20, or another thousand, I don't know.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I actually DO want Sven to come back into Faye's life in a positive way. Maybe not as a partner or even FWB, but even just as a friend. Their friendship, while it remained just a platonic friendship, was actually really nice. I enjoyed watching it and, while I DID see their eventual hook-up coming, I liked seeing them interact as just friends. They complement each other's issues in odd ways. Faye has abandonment issues, Sven has commitment issues. Faye is confrontational, Sven is uncontentious. Faye's weapon is her fists, Sven's is his words. Maybe they're not at a place right now where anything beyond or even approaching friendship is possible, but I think that's definitely something the future holds. Now, be that in 10 strips, 20, or another thousand, I don't know.

Yeah, I don't ship them, but the character growth is always a good thing IMHO.

PLGRN8R

• Not quite a lurker

Yeah, I don't ship them, but the character growth is always a good thing IMHO.

I don't think I ship them in a romantic sense, but I'm not opposed to the idea.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Only one person knows, and he only tells us in five-days-a-week installments.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Makes you wonder if he's already mentally checked out of the relationship. Tone deafness is one thing. It's something else entirely to just lay everything out for your significant other as a fait accompli versus sounding them out. IIRC, he was doing the same thing earlier, before the callback... telling her that they (she) could just carry on long distance, but never really asking what she felt, or what felt right for her. And it's all the more glaring when someone's put as much energy into "getting the girl" but won't put the same kind of energy into maintaining the relationship or considering her thoughts and feelings.

This brings up an interesting thought: what if that is essentially Angus's personality? "The Pursuit." Get his diploma, get his degree, get the girl, get the dream job...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi

I read this as coming from your avatar.  It was a bit disturbing.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

Man Angus, you dumb

Hopefully he'll learn to think and feel and act like a proper "Us" very very soon, while Faye will understand that it's perhaps a good thing that she's having difficulties with this. I want them to be together, even though I've always felt they both have some difficulties accepting responsibility for other people's feelings. I'd be happy to not have to put up with any Sven-centric strips for the foreseeable future :/
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

It's been strange reading the comic this year. Right now, it almost feels like an attempt to return to a sort of status quo (albeit with some obvious changes). I feel like something big needs to shake things up. Count me as one of the people hoping for a Faye epiphany that ultimately gets her put on a bus.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Well I mean Hanners is channeling IRL me pretty hard there:

Anyway, I couldn't handle being the fourth girl in this forum with a Claire avatar.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Part of me is all 'Oh gosh, Hanners is real!'

And the other part is all 'I hope she doesn't kill everyone'.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Anyway, I couldn't handle being the fourth girl in this forum with a Claire avatar.

Claire's face is too expressive to pass up.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

And I couldn't pass on the head scritch surprise look. Besides, I am a (bottle) red headed trans girl. Wish I had hair like Claire's though.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Whoa, that's uncanny.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

OK, that's just scary. You aren't just Hannelore, you're evil Hannelore.  :-o
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

snarkyone

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Who knew the grail wasn't dishwasher safe?

It's not just you... I saw Claire's Pun/gotcha Face, and realized I did the same thing...   (Okay, not as close, but still.. too many similarities not to be strange)

"No one cares how much you know, till they know how much you care.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

*looks at avatars*

The three Musket-Claires!

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

As I posted a while back there's at least one Canadian model who could be mistaken for Hannelore.
https://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,28543.msg1118378.html#msg1118378
Hannelore could also be mistaken for Caitlin Cooke, one of the main characters from the Canadian cartoon series 6teen.  They're both blondes with short hair and green eyes. 

snarkyone

Can we carry Muskets?   This sounds promising.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

*looks at avatars*

The three Musket-Claires!

I'm not bad with a sabre. Can I be d'Arthanyen? :claireface:

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Can we carry Muskets?   This sounds promising.

Sure, and purple SMIF tabbards.... Or plastic ears and be the Mouseket-Claires

snarkyone

Dibs on Porthos!! :)   Or would that be Portha?   

Mouseket.... no.   Stop that!

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

As I posted a while back there's at least one Canadian model who could be mistaken for Hannelore.
https://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,28543.msg1118378.html#msg1118378
Hannelore could also be mistaken for Caitlin Cooke, one of the main characters from the Canadian cartoon series 6teen.  They're both blondes with short hair and green eyes.

Oh my god that thread has real life yelling bird.

It's not just Hannelore...I do believe Yelling Bird had a photoshoot for a 2013 calendar...I saw this while walking through Staples:

Not good enough. Here.

DEAD.

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am

I had thought of having a Claire-tar but it's so...mainstream now. Probably going to get around to do an avi of the strip that always gets a laugh out of me.

Anywho Angus is in a lose-lose situation here. Take the job and lose Faye (whether it's straight away or after a period of weeks/months) or don't take the job and probably end up resenting Faye because of his decision. My spider sense is tingling that JJ will put up a joke strip to round the week off though (if he hasn't already put Friday's one up while I've been typing though).
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

It's not just you... I saw Claire's Pun/gotcha Face, and realized I did the same thing...   (Okay, not as close, but still.. too many similarities not to be strange)

That's uncanny. Both of ya (Snarky's just missing the glasses).

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Die and resurrect a less scummy dude?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

snarkyone

I like wearing contacts.   

Truth is finding glasses I like feels like gouging my eyes out with an olive fork.    But this is the only picture I have with Pun face.

ASB84

Kind of surprised at some of the flak Angus is copping here. Granted, he has his faults like everyone else, and he's being a bit insensitive here, but I think the way Faye has handled the situation to date does play a significant role in that.

She's been outwardly supportive and enthusiastic, while keeping all her concerns and disappointment with the situation to herself. You could say that it's because she loves Angus and didn't want to bring him down, and I'd agree that's definitely part of it. However, I think it's also quite likely that she just didn't want to confront a challenging issue in their relationship, or have a difficult conversation.

From Angus' perspective, she's been cheering him on as he's pursued a dream job, a dream job that he told Faye about on their first proper date. He goes to New York, he gets the job, and wants to share his excitement and happiness with his significant other upon his return. However, now she's letting her true feelings out and kind of raining on his parade; she has a point, of course, but because Faye never brought this stuff up before, Angus is understandably taken aback.

I guess if you don't particularly like Angus, then this development lends itself well to demonising him to some extent, and seeing him as a self-centred jerk who only cares about himself, the "chase", and whatnot. And to be fair, he does have some jerkish tendencies, so that's not completely off the mark. I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Still, I think Faye shares some responsibility here, because she wanted to avoid a painful discussion and a tough situation. She and Dora have made fun of Marten's complacency and passiveness in the past, but I think this whole arc shows that Faye's still in need of some development/growing up, and that she's just as complacent as Marten. Sure, she's come a long way, admirably so given her "hella issues", but she's still trying to ignore her problems and avoid dealing with unpleasant situations if possible. She's also pretty content with the status quo, which you could argue is actually worse than Marten's moping. He at least knows he should be doing something more, even if he doesn't know what. Faye seems content not to reach any higher.

I'd agree that the writing has been on the wall since the audition first came up. I think both characters could've handled the situation better, but neither are the "bad guy" here, and I can understand where they're both coming from. A break-up seems inevitable, and if that is the case, I think Jeph has written it quite well, in a way that's very realistic. Sometimes, these things happens. You love the other person, the relationship works, but as you each move forward with your lives and pursue new goals, you may grow apart or you may be unwilling to make sacrifices, or make the best of a tough situation. Seems that's what we're seeing here.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

This brings up an interesting thought: what if that is essentially Angus's personality? "The Pursuit." Get his diploma, get his degree, get the girl, get the dream job...

Basically the anti-Marten. I'm astonished they get along so well.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Kind of surprised at some of the flak Angus is copping here. Granted, he has his faults like everyone else, and he's being a bit insensitive here, but I think the way Faye has handled the situation to date does play a significant role in that.

She's been outwardly supportive and enthusiastic, while keeping all her concerns and disappointment with the situation to herself. You could say that it's because she loves Angus and didn't want to bring him down, and I'd agree that's definitely part of it. However, I think it's also quite likely that she just didn't want to confront a challenging issue in their relationship, or have a difficult conversation.

From Angus' perspective, she's been cheering him on as he's pursued a dream job, a dream job that he told Faye about on their first proper date. He goes to New York, he gets the job, and wants to share his excitement and happiness with his significant other upon his return. However, now she's letting her true feelings out and kind of raining on his parade; she has a point, of course, but because Faye never brought this stuff up before, Angus is understandably taken aback.

I guess if you don't particularly like Angus, then this development lends itself well to demonising him to some extent, and seeing him as a self-centred jerk who only cares about himself, the "chase", and whatnot. And to be fair, he does have some jerkish tendencies, so that's not completely off the mark. I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Still, I think Faye shares some responsibility here, because she wanted to avoid a painful discussion and a tough situation... but neither are the "bad guy" here, and I can understand where they're both coming from. A break-up seems inevitable, and if that is the case, I think Jeph has written it quite well, in a way that's very realistic. Sometimes, these things happens. You love the other person, the relationship works, but as you each move forward with your lives and pursue new goals, you may grow apart or you may be unwilling to make sacrifices, or make the best of a tough situation. Seems that's what we're seeing here.

I don't think either of them are "bad" people. Here's what I do take issue with: Life takes us to difficult places sometimes, whether alone or as part of a couple or other relationship. And if/when you love someone, part of what comes with the territory is giving somebody a safe space to talk about things they need to talk about even if/when they're not comfortable with talking about them. Sometimes that also means being a bit insistent about it, not for yourself, but for them. While it's possible that Angus had absolutely no clue what was going on with Faye, let's give the guy some credit and say that he's in tune with her enough to know if something's a bit off. When that happens, you can wait for someone to bring their problems up, or you can be a bit more proactive and let them know that it's important to you that they talk about it because THEY are important to you. And again, sometimes just letting someone know that you know something's wrong and are there to listen can help them open up to you where they might not have done so otherwise.

In a perfect world, we'd all be safe to say what we needed, when we needed, to whom we needed. In this imperfect world we're stuck with, sometimes it's up to us to be that still point to someone else so they have that safety where they may not have felt or known they had it before.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Dibs on Porthos!! :)   Or would that be Portha?   

Mouseket.... no.   Stop that!

I call Athos.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce

Does he answer?

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

That one deserves a spray with the hose.  Anyone have one handy?
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Estron

• Emoticontraindication
  • Old-fart QC aficionado

I think that's a little too much strategizing to expect from a person in their first relationship.

snarkyone

I think that's a little too much strategizing to expect from a person in their first relationship.
You'd be surprised.

That one deserves a spray with the hose.  Anyone have one handy?

Some of us weren't commenting on purpose.   Bad puns are best left alone.  In the void.  Where they can die a miserable death.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I'm still hoping for a working LDR.

For two years, I worked at HMAS Watson in Sydney, only saw my partner on weekends after a 4 hour drive home, always at night, usually through fog.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Shit, I've never been in a relationship and I came up with that one.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Bad puns are best left alone.  In the void.

so then you a-void them?

snarkyone

so then you a-void them?

I see I have much work to do here.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

so then you a-void them?

A null statement.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer

so then you a-void them?

A null statement.

A null? Oh no, they're not even married yet.  :claireface:

snarkyone

A null statement.
Not every comment is meant to be profound, just as not every ejaculate deserves a name.    :-P
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Up