• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's next on our agenda?

Angus and Faye: The Quickening
- 46 (33.3%)
Dora Tells Her Parents (To Predictable Results)
- 10 (7.2%)
The Library Implosion: Emily Finds Out!
- 19 (13.8%)
Moms Meet!
- 8 (5.8%)
Momo and May - The Odd Couple Revisited!
- 12 (8.7%)
Hanners FREAKS OUT!
- 7 (5.1%)
Pintsize!
- 7 (5.1%)
Love and Pancakes!
- 7 (5.1%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!
- 1 (0.7%)
...Wait, who IS that blue guy lying on the ground?
- 11 (8%)
CLINTONSPOLSION!
- 10 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2811-2815 (13-17 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 162736 times)

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

...aaaand just to take the edge off the pain for a sec, this is happening on Faye's shift which started at 5PM, which means Marten and Claire have probably been spending all day together, liberally dosing each other with smooches.

Sucks to be Faye right now, dangit.

Well when you put it that way...yes, at any given moment, there's people hugging and kissing and having sex all over the world.  Even right now.  I'm not sure why it matters, though.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Which means tomorrow's installment should be awesome!! :D

Both of them walking together smiling, Marten holding a giant teddy bear that Claire won him at the carnival.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Oh man I just realised something - of course Angus doesn't get it. All the time he pursued Faye and while they were dating, she never was afraid to speak her mind. That was probably one the things that was attractive to him. She doesn't hold back with opinions or insults or when she's pissed off, but this time she did.

The one thing she never was toward him - and he has NFC as to what to do about it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I don't think it's a breakup.   Yet.   They're both hurt and scared.
That's what I think...although a very strong emphasis on the "yet" is needed :(
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

...aaaand just to take the edge off the pain for a sec, this is happening on Faye's shift which started at 5PM, which means Marten and Claire have probably been spending all day together, liberally dosing each other with smooches.

Sucks to be Faye right now, dangit.
Which means tomorrow's installment should be awesome!! :D
*wonders whether to tell snarkyone the next comic isn't until Monday*
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

snarkyone

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Who knew the grail wasn't dishwasher safe?

*wonders whether to tell snarkyone the next comic isn't until Monday*

Oh shit.. that's right....   :'(
"No one cares how much you know, till they know how much you care.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

Right, I agree with that. And I'm not anti-Angus. I've been rather meh on him but I wonder if he is replaying his and Faye's talks about this and her supportive words and wondering if she was humoring him under the assumption that he wouldn't get the gig and so she really wouldn't have to worry about things. To think that your partner doesn't believe in you like that is ... rough. And I'm not saying Faye didn't believe in him, I'm just thinking that Angus's present behavior might be due to "Wait, you were okay with this before ... oh. You were all supportive because you didn't think I'd actually get this. Cool. Great."

I do think a breakup is on the horizons, if only because Angus might feel like he and Faye aren't suited anymore. Remember the "zit on her ass" that shocked and dismayed him when they first had sex? This seems like the emotional version of that. He was under the impression that Faye's support was genuine and now he's wondering if he was wrong about that, and it's pissing him off.

Poor Faye, though. She's trying really hard to hold it together. I can't help but think that this was foreshadowing of a Sven reentry. Possibly in all the ways that can be parsed.

I dunno, if i remember right he wasn't even all that sure he would get it, joking about it ect.  Also of course she would support him, since realistically they were long, long odds that he would get the job, and if she wasn't supportive you might as well torpedo the ship right then and there what did he expect?

PLGRN8R

• Not quite a lurker

Cut to Dora trying and failing to console Faye. Then to Faye going to the apartment and Marten's either not there, or Claire's with him. That's 2 of her 3 crisis crutches unavailable, so she falls back on her 3rd: booze. And does anybody want to place bets on who she runs into at a bar?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

Faye...why!?  :cry:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Anyone is feeling the urge to comfort Faye and tell her that everything will be alright?

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

Oh Faye!

:-(

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

Also, the pace and tone of Angus's speech about having everything worked out to me seemed like he was expecting a response right then and there, after hitting her with what is a massive life changing decision out of nowhere.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

And does anybody want to place bets on who she runs into at a bar?

Steve. Dammit I just went through this with Marten AND Sven!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm really hoping Angus and Faye talk after she gets off work.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

I dunno, if i remember right he wasn't even all that sure he would get it, joking about it ect.  Also of course she would support him, since realistically they were long, long odds that he would get the job, and if she wasn't supportive you might as well torpedo the ship right then and there what did he expect?

Right, but I'm not presenting this as a thing that exists. I'm postulating that Angus might be trying to reconcile what he'd experienced before now - Supportive!Faye - and what he is experiencing now - Scared/NotExcitedForHim!Faye - and that the only way he can reconcile the two very different responses is that she was never expecting him to get the job so it was easy for her to "play" the part of the supportive girlfriend. I'm not saying that Faye wasn't really supportive in actuality. I'm just saying that Angus seems like he's trying to figure out how they got to this point and that's one of the theories he might come up with.

I actually think that Faye's anxiety about it, as expressed to others, was pretty indicative of her belief that Angus would get the job.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I see her almost as being disappointed in herself. She's embarrassed that she can't be what he wants her to be or even what *she* want her to be.

It's touching. And sad. And beautiful, in a way.

Mafarfloune

• Not quite a lurker

Cut to Dora trying and failing to console Faye. Then to Faye going to the apartment and Marten's either not there, or Claire's with him. That's 2 of her 3 crisis crutches unavailable, so she falls back on her 3rd: booze. And does anybody want to place bets on who she runs into at a bar?

Jimbo?

T

Jimbo?
Pintsize? And them in a moment of vulnerability she fall for his charm?

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Pintsize? And then in a moment of vulnerability she fall for his charm?

"I know it's a little soon, but--"
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Anyone is feeling the urge to comfort Faye and tell her that everything will be alright?

Nah, it's more like an urge to punch Angus while yelling "You self absorbed idiot!"
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

I don't think he's being self absorbed. Just super excited.  Faye not being supportive is a big downer.  He even wanted to talk about their situation to help figure things out and she ran away.  :cry:  I am hoping Dora/Marten/Hanners/her doctor will talk some sense into her about facing this rather than running.  Even if it doesn't work out she would have at least tried.  Instead of pushing away.  :oops:  not to say her anxieties are "dumb" or anything, thats not what I am saying.  I am saying that anxiety sucks and running away from it is easy and facing it can be paralyzing.  I just feel like as far as her character development has gone this is the point or climax to either grow or recede.  I am just rooting that she can overcome.  :oops:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!

Is it too soon to break out the good champagne and start celebrating, or should I not get ahead of myself? In the Questionable Universe, break-ups are usually pretty fast and final, but Jeph has been switching things up lately, so there's a chance that the barnacle will reattach.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

If Angus walks out and doesn't look back, good riddance.

However, I don't think even he is so incredibly dumb. Hopefully, when he breaks the news to Marigold and Momo, Momo will hit him with the clue-by-four.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

I disagree, respecting her space and giving her time to let it soak in seems way more reasonable.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

I think Faye and Angus are done. Irreconcilable differences, it would be called if they were married, they want different things out of life and can't compromise. Angus wants to move on to Bigger, Better Things, while Faye is Content Where She Is. She does not want to move to the Big City, and it seems like trying an LDR is not an option either. So Angus' only choice is to either take the opportunity offered, or stay with Faye - and give up his dream (it's unlikely he'll get an opportunity like that in Northhampton).

I don't think he's a jerk for taking his shot and leaving Faye behind. He's simply taking a life path that Faye can't - won't - take with him. So, their relationship must end - as all romantic relationships eventually, inevitably do.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I disagree, respecting her space and giving her time to let it soak in seems way more reasonable.
This. Like I said before, I really hope they talk after she gets off work.

That being said, if they do break up, and they probably will...I hope this doesn't break Faye. I can easily see her losing her sass, and that bums me out like you wouldn't believe.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

snarkyone

as all romantic relationships eventually, inevitably do.

I think given the pattern in QC we've seen that's rather likely, but I disagree in general.   While I don't see a future for SS Faygus I do think that a lasting sustainable relationship in the QC world is plausible.   As for the real world... I know it is, even if it doesn't happen to me.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Second try at a clever answer...

Faye grows restless longing for some solitary company
She knows she must do what's right, sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus form the Serengeti
She seeks to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that she's become

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

yeah, this is definitely a 'lets talk about this tomorrow' situation. a bit of time to cool down, think, & sleep can do wonders for a person's ability to deal with shit.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

This reminds me of the talk show host Gordon Godfrey on Justice League where he was mentioning how the Justice League was ruining America or whatever by saying something like "under the Justice League, half of all marriages end in divorce...and the other half end IN DEATH!"

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Sounds like Glenn Beck  :-P

snarkyone

Hey now... there's no need to be mean.. ;)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yeah, it wasn't a subtle parody :roll:

(Although honestly I got more of an O'Reilly vibe)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

snarkyone

Great, now I need a shower with acid.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

I vaguely remember it MoM. Then later Wonder Woman punched a TV screen.  :-D

Too bad we have to wait until Monday to find out anything...unless its another Pintsize strip just to tease us more.

Hey now... there's no need to be mean.. ;)
Not mean, just... 8-) ...snakry

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

If Angus walks out and doesn't look back, good riddance.

However, I don't think even he is so incredibly dumb. Hopefully, when he breaks the news to Marigold and Momo, Momo will hit him with the clue-by-four.

Or several thousand volts.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Yeah, it wasn't a subtle parody :roll:

(Although honestly I got more of an O'Reilly vibe)
Oh, really? I'd think if you're going to parodize someone, you go for the most over-the-top one you can get away with (and that's Beck).
Mistakes, ahoy!

Netrunner

• Plantmonster
  • I've got too much blood in my caffeine system...

Now, now. If had been good 'ole Beck, there'd be a Nazi reference or two.

Well, this week wasn't really what I was hoping for. I've held off putting my comments in, just in case they managed to pull out of the nose dive they seem to be in. For what it's worth, I still think they might, but things are looking a little bleak, honestly. In any relationship, communication and understanding what the other person is saying is key. It's also exactly what Faye isn't doing right now. Maybe she just needs time to process. I'm hoping that she does and the two of them sit down and discuss things before Angus leaves. I realize he isn't the favorite on the boards, but I kind of like the guy. Here's hoping this isn't the end for them.
Never run on your last click.

snarkyone

Not mean, just... 8-) ...snakry

HA HA HA HA HA HA  no.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

clue-by-four.

I like that.

I'm making a prediction now:
Angus seriously considers turning down the job
Faye ends up telling him that, no, he really needs to go do this
They part.... not necessarily irrevocably, because they do love each other.... but love isn't always enough by itself
(click to show/hide)

The core of Faye's story for a while is her thinking on and exploring whether or not she really *is* content with where her life is now.
Ultimately ambivalent, which in and of itself is rather an answer in the negative
Quietly works on a serious sculpture
Visits Angus one evening
And it doesn't change that maybe this isn't a wall she can climb, that this might not be a hurdle they can jump
But maybe right this moment they can just hold each other against the darkness, for a little bit more at least

snarkyone

Trying to be snarky and pointing out one's snarkiness to me because my name has snarky in it, isn't being snarky.   It's lowbrow and I expect more from you guys.     Never go for low hanging fruit jokes.   Especially pear's.   Pear's suck.   Pear's are like apple's slow cousin.

ASB84

If this is supposed to make us hate Angus...yeah, still not feeling it, myself. Again, I don't disagree that he could be handling the situation better, or that his focus on getting the gig hasn't prevented him from picking up on Faye's true feelings about the matter, but...well, I still think they're both responsible for getting to this point.

I also agree that you could say Angus is half-assing his efforts, but if we're going to say that, we might as well call it like it is with Faye: she's not putting in any effort at all. Not just in the latest strip, but throughout the whole arc. Sure, she's been outwardly supportive, but has she really given any thought to how the situation could work, or how she could come to terms with a less than desirable scenario?

Maybe off-camera, but whenever she's used another character as a sounding board, it's usually been to say how much the situation sucks, that she wants to be supportive, but she hates the idea of it happening. We haven't seen any attempts to come to grips with the worst case scenario, no thoughts of "Well, I love the guy, so I'm willing to give it a try", no "OK, how could we possibly make this work?", or hell, even "I don't think this can possibly work, so it has to end, as shit as that'll be". Maybe she's contemplated that off-camera, but as far as we've seen, she's basically been unhappy with the possibility and tried not to think too much about what'll happen if that comes to pass.

I think that's what Angus' expression is saying in the fifth panel of 2815: "You won't actually make the effort, will you?" or perhaps "You're not even willing to try, are you?" A bit unfair and callous, no question, but I can understand his position. Of course, I can still sympathise with Faye as well. I think they're both at fault to some extent, and I think they both have an understandable position too. I feel it's supposed to be an unfortunate turn of events, an example of how good news doesn't always bring happiness or mean that everything's OK. No one's the bad guy, it's just the way it goes when you want different things.

But as has been already said, maybe it's just a case of giving each other space for the moment, and letting cooler heads prevail. Faye is also at work, and while Dora's a pretty lenient boss, it's not the best time to hash everything out. I kind of get the feeling that for some readers, no matter what Angus did, he'd be in the wrong and a jerk. Fair enough I suppose, we all have our own reactions to the characters, which speaks to their quality and depth.

For me though, it's just a case of two people who have their faults but are ultimately likeable, who care for one another a lot but have handled a situation a bit clumsily, and now have to make some tough decisions one way or another.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

This reminds me of the talk show host Gordon Godfrey on Justice League where he was mentioning how the Justice League was ruining America or whatever by saying something like "under the Justice League, half of all marriages end in divorce...and the other half end IN DEATH!"

Exactly my point. One way or another, by breakup or by death, all romantic relationships eventually, inevitably, end.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Angus finally gets his big break.
Faye, who until now has given the impression that she at least might be OK with it.... finds out she's not.
What is Angus to do?

I know my heart goes out to Faye, but you know what, expecting guys to always be the strong ones is pretty darned unfair to them.

Angus might well have assumed, or at least pinned all his hopes on, Faye being able to cope. As Faye did.

Faye's self-discovery is devastating for her. But maybe it's equally devastating for Angus too, and Faye's rejectionist body language means he can neither offer, nor request, a hug.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was Angus, not Faye, who fell apart. Alone. With a bottle. Not a good place.

He had two dreams. Thought he could get both. Now must choose. The sensible one is to go to New York of course - avoids laying a guilt trip on Faye, establishes a foundation for the rest of his life. Faye won't feel guilty, Angus won't forever be reminded of mighta-beens, either of which would very likely be fatal to any relationship.

He might not be sensible. "NY just called - their finance fell through, so ... Faye, I desperately need a hug." Lying through his teeth, about the first part anyway, though not the second.

Not that that's likely to work. But who said people are sensible in such matters? Faye's a major character, but Angus is no mere red-shirt spear-carrier.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Honestly, it was meant to be a terrible joke.  :-P

Exactly my point. One way or another, by breakup or by death, all romantic relationships eventually, inevitably, end.
If only the Highlander had a romantic relationship with another immortal and their couples fights didn't end with a sword battle.

I just really hope Faye doesn't do anything she'll regret later...like calling Sven. :-\

snarkyone

Honestly, it was meant to be a terrible joke.  :-P

Oh I know.. and I gave you a very snarky reply... ;)   

No offense taken and none intended.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Not happy with the peach. But the comedy of errors she's been engaged in with Angus doesn't surprise me with this outcome. Poor Angus.

I assume you expect it to be Sven.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Angus finally gets his big break.
Faye, who until now has given the impression that she at least might be OK with it.... finds out she's not.
What is Angus to do?

I know my heart goes out to Faye, but you know what, expecting guys to always be the strong ones is pretty darned unfair to them.

Angus might well have assumed, or at least pinned all his hopes on, Faye being able to cope. As Faye did.

Faye's self-discovery is devastating for her. But maybe it's equally devastating for Angus too, and Faye's rejectionist body language means he can neither offer, nor request, a hug.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was Angus, not Faye, who fell apart. Alone. With a bottle. Not a good place.

He had two dreams. Thought he could get both. Now must choose. The sensible one is to go to New York of course - avoids laying a guilt trip on Faye, establishes a foundation for the rest of his life. Faye won't feel guilty, Angus won't forever be reminded of mighta-beens, either of which would very likely be fatal to any relationship.

He might not be sensible. "NY just called - their finance fell through, so ... Faye, I desperately need a hug." Lying through his teeth, about the first part anyway, though not the second.

Not that that's likely to work. But who said people are sensible in such matters? Faye's a major character, but Angus is no mere red-shirt spear-carrier.

Thank you.  That's almost exactly my reading, too.  He didn't storm out, he didn't throw up his hands in exasperation, he just  ...  left.  He's stunned, and needs to process, and she's not helping. 

Smaller Faye in the last panel is very, very alone.  And by choice, though I don't think willingly. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before the comic went up, people were comparing themselves to Hanners.  I managed to dig this up; 

I think the best Hanners is this one I found in an older thread:

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

Sadly, today's comic played out more or less as I thought it would. ByeBye Angus. It's been nice knowing you, but for Faye's sake I think it will be best if you leave now.

*looks at avatars*

The three Musket-Claires!
I know I'm late (d**n timezones), but noone made the obvious Muskrat joke yet? OK, I'll do it: The three MuskratClaires.

"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20   Go Up