• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's next on our agenda?

Angus and Faye: The Quickening
- 46 (33.3%)
Dora Tells Her Parents (To Predictable Results)
- 10 (7.2%)
The Library Implosion: Emily Finds Out!
- 19 (13.8%)
Moms Meet!
- 8 (5.8%)
Momo and May - The Odd Couple Revisited!
- 12 (8.7%)
Hanners FREAKS OUT!
- 7 (5.1%)
Pintsize!
- 7 (5.1%)
Love and Pancakes!
- 7 (5.1%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!
- 1 (0.7%)
...Wait, who IS that blue guy lying on the ground?
- 11 (8%)
CLINTONSPOLSION!
- 10 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2811-2815 (13-17 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 166297 times)

Conzy

• Not quite a lurker

If it helps, I, personally, treat all the strips before The Talk as being only semi-canonical. Jeph changed direction quite significantly at that point to the level where the earliest characterisations now come across as vaguely OOC and parodaic.

I agree there, but at the same time the characteristics didn't change entirely, the beatings became less frequent but Faye was still borderline abusive and generally mean to most of the cast for a good long while. All I'm saying is it's good she had a doormat in Marten because I think most people wouldn't have put up with her for so long.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

No.
 First its not casual violence, its directed violence.
 Second its not against a woman its against a person who is acting in a way that a quick hard shock could be a good thing for the thinking process.
 Angus needs a slap too.
 So maybe someone could slap both of them. Or poke them with a charged cattle prod.

So very aggressive. *head shake* We've got our quota of musket-Claires you'll have to be Claire De Rochefort though if you learn to use your words instead of slapping you can be promoted to Claire-dinal Richelieu
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

I agree there, but at the same time the characteristics didn't change entirely, the beatings became less frequent but Faye was still borderline abusive and generally mean to most of the cast for a good long while. All I'm saying is it's good she had a doormat in Marten because I think most people wouldn't have put up with her for so long.

I do think that the idea of a man being an aggressive asshole to a woman is still the third rail of most things, comic included. So you're probably right that if the situations had been reversed and Henry had blown his brains out in front of Marten or Marten suffered some other trauma like being abused by one of his mother's "fans," and had the same issues Faye had and acted in the same manner, there would not be as much embracing of him. When things looked ... dicey between Marigold and Angus, a lot of people rapped Angus for being insensitive to a girl who clearly had a thing for him. And Angus was, generally, nice to Marigold. I don't think Marten would have many fans if he were a shit to Faye in the way that she was to him initially.

Bologna

• Plantmonster

Gosh dang it, Jeph!  You've once again created a quandary that I can't resolve by vilifying any one person!  Blasted complex and multi-layered relationships!

What am I supposed to do with this now?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Halloween is close; maybe you can use it in a prop for a trick-or-treat costume?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Conzy

• Not quite a lurker

I do think that the idea of a man being an aggressive asshole to a woman is still the third rail of most things, comic included. So you're probably right that if the situations had been reversed and Henry had blown his brains out in front of Marten or Marten suffered some other trauma like being abused by one of his mother's "fans," and had the same issues Faye had and acted in the same manner, there would not be as much embracing of him. When things looked ... dicey between Marigold and Angus, a lot of people rapped Angus for being insensitive to a girl who clearly had a thing for him. And Angus was, generally, nice to Marigold. I don't think Marten would have many fans if he were a shit to Faye in the way that she was to him initially.

That's exactly what I was trying to get across. Fwiw, I also agree that Angus was nice to Marigold through everything. That's why she ended up having a thing for him, he was the ONLY person who had been nice to her in her adult life. And he wasn't deliberately unkind to her though her crush phase, he was just oblivious because of his attraction to Faye, when he found out what was going on he felt pretty terrible about it, but he still did the right thing by not taking advantage of her, and even tried to tell her why she shouldn't let anyone take advantage of her in that way. He's honestly a really good guy in my opinion, which is why I hope he can get out of this situation as painlessly as possible and move on to his dream job.

Scarblac

• Plantmonster

For me the main thing is that it seemed Angus had already left the relationship behind, subconsciously.

He's got the new job, he's spent time thinking where he's moving his stuff, he's got a couch at a buddy to sleep on, he has even thought about Marigold and that he should pay an extra month of rent before leaving. And then after all that, all that he's got to offer Faye is sharing his buddy's couch when she comes to visit... Faye's literally a complete afterthought.

LDR's can maybe sometimes work, but clearly not in this case. Working out a plan for how it could work, together, would have been step 1, right?

The relationship just wasn't that serious, apparently.

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!

Gosh dang it, Jeph!  You've once again created a quandary that I can't resolve by vilifying any one person!  Blasted complex and multi-layered relationships!

Note that we're a kinder, gentler board here.

We don't use pitchforks.

We use "The Useless Broom Made Entirely of Dicks"

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

We don't use pitchforks.

In other words, get to 'shopping a load of dicks onto the end of that handle, and you're golden.

So many dicks.

So, so many.

ASB84

On the subject of Faye's characterisation in the early strips...it's funny, but through various archive binges, I kind of feel like she was actually portrayed as being a bit sweeter and more apologetic about her actions earlier on. As she's opened up and grown more comfortable around the rest of the cast, I think there are times when she's actually more abrasive (sometimes to the point of nastiness) than she was at the beginning, which runs contrary to the in-universe reactions.

Don't get me wrong, I think she has definitely grown as a character, but there are times when I feel she hasn't overcome some of her issues, so much as she and everyone else have kind of grown comfortable with, and accustomed to them.

Quote from: Scarblac
For me the main thing is that it seemed Angus had already left the relationship behind, subconsciously.

He's got the new job, he's spent time thinking where he's moving his stuff, he's got a couch at a buddy to sleep on, he has even thought about Marigold and that he should pay an extra month of rent before leaving. And then after all that, all that he's got to offer Faye is sharing his buddy's couch when she comes to visit... Faye's literally a complete afterthought.

LDR's can maybe sometimes work, but clearly not in this case. Working out a plan for how it could work, together, would have been step 1, right?

The relationship just wasn't that serious, apparently.

I'm not sure if it's that so much as he thought everything was OK, and was confident that they were going to give a long distance relationship a good go. I think his remark about the couch was meant to be in good humour, but that was quickly followed by the realisation that no, not everything is OK, and Faye hasn't exactly been upfront about how she's felt about the whole situation.

tangerinewarrior

• Not quite a lurker
  • Illegitimi non carborundum

That's exactly what I was trying to get across. Fwiw, I also agree that Angus was nice to Marigold through everything. That's why she ended up having a thing for him, he was the ONLY person who had been nice to her in her adult life. And he wasn't deliberately unkind to her though her crush phase, he was just oblivious because of his attraction to Faye, when he found out what was going on he felt pretty terrible about it, but he still did the right thing by not taking advantage of her, and even tried to tell her why she shouldn't let anyone take advantage of her in that way. He's honestly a really good guy in my opinion, which is why I hope he can get out of this situation as painlessly as possible and move on to his dream job.

I totally believe that Angus will find a way to make this work. He is the one who pursued Faye, got her to come out of her shell, and was/is willing to put up with a lot from her to be with her. I agree, he is a great guy, and possibly one of the most healthy characters in the strip (he's successful due to his perseverance, generally stable emotionally, and won't let those around him destroy themselves, for example he is one of the few people to get on Faye about her drinking.)

I think Angus is going to go, do a little thinking, and be back to patch things over with Faye. I don't see him giving up on his relationship with her- it's not how he rolls. Faye meanwhile is going to be chewed out by Dora, Marten, et al.
When life gives you lemons, keep them, because Hey, free lemons.

Dale Carnegie

Bologna

• Plantmonster

We don't use pitchforks.

In other words, get to 'shopping a load of dicks onto the end of that handle, and you're golden.

So many dicks.

So, so many.

Yeah I'm gonna pass.  I'm not sure how I'd explain that to the boss should he walk by. 

And now I'm imagining the dull percussions that a broom entirely made of dicks would make if it were swept across the floor.  It's almost soothing?

BenRG

• coprophage

So many dicks.

So, so many.

It's posts like this that convince me that this forum needs Coffee of Doom's anti-Clinton hose.
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I find it worrying when the response to 'maybe not talk about slapping women around' isn't so much 'sorry to offend anyone, I obviously would never encourage such violence in a real situation, I was just being flippant' and is more like 'SMACK THEM BOTH AROUND'.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

We don't know what's happened off-screen but it looks as if she hasn't told him how much her father's suicide affected her.  I strongly suspect that she thinks that she's over that or that she kept on feeling that it's not important enough/the right time to talk about it.

Neko_Ali made me stop and think.

Putting everything together, I think they are going to split up but, with some help from their friends, they make come to an understanding that would allow them feel that they can keep in touch.
Francisco

tangerinewarrior

• Not quite a lurker

I find it worrying when the response to 'maybe not talk about slapping women around' isn't so much 'sorry to offend anyone, I obviously would never encourage such violence in a real situation, I was just being flippant' and is more like 'SMACK THEM BOTH AROUND'.

Hitting people is generally bad form, unless your hitting them with the following list of approved items:

1) A care bare stare.
2) You're Best Shot (but only if you are Pat Benetar)
3) A snowball (an actual snowball, not the snack food) during a snowball fight
4) The sweet fragrance of bacon.

Dale Carnegie

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

[...]

Hitting people is generally bad form, unless your hitting them with the following list of approved items:

[...]

I hate the smell of bacon!
Francisco

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

[...]

[...]

grumpycat.jpg

tangerinewarrior

• Not quite a lurker

[...]

[...]

Even Mexican bacon? Would Canadian bacon be ok?

Dale Carnegie

eschaton

• Furry furrier

There's an odd symmetry to this breakup.  Angus was actively trying to be a good boyfriend as best he could, but honestly, a relationship wasn't the most important thing to him, and his natural self-absorption caused him to miss the warning signs.  In contrast, while Faye was arguably putting more into the relationship on a surface level, she was doing so at the expense of her own wants and needs, and stopped being honest with Angus.  Both of them are equally at fault in this.  That said, both Faye and Angus are going to blame Faye for it not working out. 

Cut to Dora trying and failing to console Faye. Then to Faye going to the apartment and Marten's either not there, or Claire's with him. That's 2 of her 3 crisis crutches unavailable, so she falls back on her 3rd: booze. And does anybody want to place bets on who she runs into at a bar?

I think people are getting too into the idea that Marten won't be there for Faye due to Claire.  First, he's always there for his friends.  Secondly, his relationship with Claire is pretty clearly more at the "feeling good about the future" sort of place, not the "head over heels, can't get you out of my head" sort of place.  He'll be able to switch gears to console Faye no problem.  Claire should be understanding about it too, given she trusts Marten. 

Faye's bigger problem is she's going to look like a giant hypocrite to her friends and get chewed out.  Remember how she confronted Dora about ruining a good thing with Marty for absolutely no good reason?  Or how she yelled at Marten for just cutting off contact with Padma?  She'll be worried that her friends are going to throw this stuff back in her face, because she's already blaming herself for the breakup, not Angus.  She's not mad at him at all, she's hating herself. 

I'm really hoping Angus and Faye talk after she gets off work.

I think they will talk again, but only after Faye is prodded by one of her friends to do so.  She'll want to continue passive-aggressively avoiding the situation until Angus leaves so she can hate/blame herself.  Angus will probably make another attempt to initiate contact though.  If nothing else, this is shitty closure, and I think Angus would at least want to leave for NYC with his emotional life wrapped up. 

yeah, this is definitely a 'lets talk about this tomorrow' situation. a bit of time to cool down, think, & sleep can do wonders for a person's ability to deal with shit.

Look at what Angus said.: "So, what?  That's it?" and "Can't we at least try to make this work?"  He's very clearly not talking about moving to NYC, but their relationship as a whole.  Faye's non-response indicates to him she's given up, even if that wasn't exactly what she meant.  He'll make one last volley later on, but Faye basically telegraphed to him that it's over already - and he has the move to NYC to plan. 

Poor Angus.

and the f--- is wrong with Faye?

There is nothing holding her back from actually following Angus.  She had done that before... moving to different city, different state that is.

or at least see how it works out.  not give up just because in next few months angus is going to be away from home often. 

no pity for Faye!

A few things.

1.  From a comic standpoint, this would break QC, as I've said before

2.  She left *nothing* in Georgia.  She was basically a shut-in for a few years who had no friends.  All she left behind were her mother and sister (neither of which she gets along especially well with) and a whole lot of bad memories of her hometown.  Northampton, in contrast, is full of good memories, and contains all her best friends.

3.  She's dated Angus maybe something like six months in QC time.  She's known her friends up there for years now.  Why would she ditch her friends for Angus, when, as noted, there's always a chance your S/O will dump you, but your friends have stuck with you through thick and thin? 
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2014, 07:07 by eschaton »

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

So many dicks.

So, so many.

It's posts like this that convince me that this forum needs Coffee of Doom's anti-Clinton hose.

To clarify, it was said with horrified awe, not...well, you get the idea.

BenRG

• coprophage

[Faye]'s not mad at him at all, she's hating herself. 

Frankly, that's what I'm worried about. I've been told off for saying this but I think that Faye is going to be as low as she's ever been in the comic for the next few in-universe weeks and, if I were her friend, I'd try to avoid leaving her alone for too long.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2014, 07:06 by BenRG »
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

1) A care bare stare.
2) You're Best Shot (but only if you are Pat Benetar)
3) A snowball (an actual snowball, not the snack food) during a snowball fight

You seem to be replying to me like you're disagreeing with me when you're actually agreeing with me.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

[Faye]'s not mad at him at all, she's hating herself. 

Frankly, that's what I'm worried about. I've been told off for saying this but I think that Faye is going to be as low as she's ever been in the comic for the next few in-universe weeks and, if I were her friend, I'd try to avoid leaving her alone for too long.

I actually said that, because you implied that Faye would be contemplating suicide because of losing Angus.

She's hella upset, but it's not because of losing Angus.  She likes (probably even loves, after a fashion) Angus, but if she was that head over heels, she would move to NYC.  She's more upset that it turns out she's still the kind of person who will turn and run at the first sign of trouble in a relationship.  She's facing down who she is, and she's not very happy about it. 

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

Again with the slapping.

This talk about casual violence against a woman is disturbing

But this is all right?

I am sure the original poster would certainly not harm anyone physically. The behaviour of some political correctness nazis and police in this forum is even more irritating than the behaviour of german wikipedia admins (and, oh, boy, they are annoying!) and harms all discussion on controverse matters.

And in day to day use, expressions like "I'd kill someone for....", "I would slap some sense into him", "I wish he'd drop dead"  do not really mean we actually want to inflict bodily harm or actually see anyone hurt or dead...

Wielding the accusation of sexism, homo- or transphobia at fellow forum users for using common expressions that are in use everyday is worse than any censorship and has always been the typical behaviour of those who don't get along well in this world or don't have a life so I suggest you get one, and in case you already do, stop jumping to the neck of everyone that writes something here that does not suit your view of the world (which, oh, go figure, can be as right or as wrong as anyone else's view)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

The problem is that those common expressions reinforce ideas that are really quite bad...

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

The problem is that those common expressions reinforce ideas that are really quite bad...

Show me a single case in your social circle (of common, down-to earth people, which I assume you have, since I don't know any better) where the use of one of these common expressions has led to actual violence.

I suggest one of the admins move this discussion and the relevant messages, starting with walkygrrls to a better place than WCDT, since it is definitely out of place here.

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker

dammit faye... if you love the guy (which you've said you do), you owe it to the both of you to give it a chance.

distance relationships are hard... but they're worth it for the right person.
is Angus being a little selfish? maybe. but we're talking about his dream job and one epic opportunity, and he's willing to do what it takes to make things work.

pull your head out of your ass and give it a shot!
You told us about your trigger. people informing others of their triggers is one of my triggers. please refrain from doing that again. Oh, I've just triggered myself... which sounds more enjoyable than it really is.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Well, as much as my own internal biases tend to make me side with Faye against Angus, I guess the best clue to what's going on comes from the storyteller, who titled the thing 'You idiots.'

They're both pretty caught up in their own issues at the moment, and their relationship might die of each waiting for the other to notice.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

Wielding the accusation of sexism, homo- or transphobia at fellow forum users for using common expressions that are in use everyday is worse than any censorship and has always been the typical behaviour of those who don't get along well in this world or don't have a life so I suggest you get one, and in case you already do, stop jumping to the neck of everyone that writes something here that does not suit your view of the world (which, oh, go figure, can be as right or as wrong as anyone else's view)

'Scuse me?

So...you're trying to say that saying, "Hey, what you're saying is pretty insensitive and dickish, please don't do that," is worse than, just for instance, being unable to voice a political opinion in, say, North Korea that dissents with the party in power for risk of being killed.  Got it. 

See that little "x" in the upper right hand corner of your browser?  If you click it, all that horrible PC bullshit you despise just...disappears.  It's like magic.  Because there's a hell of a lot of difference between dissent and being a dick.

Y

• Curry sauce

Faye never moved in with Angus IIRC, so that means she doesn't even know if that would work out. Then moving away from their friends and having to find a new job that gives her as much freedom. Or doing the long distance thing, which she might have made up her mind about that before.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Well, as much as my own internal biases tend to make me side with Faye against Angus, I guess the best clue to what's going on comes from the storyteller, who titled the thing 'You idiots.'

They're both pretty caught up in their own issues at the moment, and their relationship might die of each waiting for the other to notice.

Fortunately, they have a rather observant circle of friends who are willing to sort them out. 

Oh, wait...  Marten?  Dora?  Marigold? 

Forget I said anything. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

"Hey, what you're saying is pretty insensitive and dickish, please don't do that,"
Hm, I thought I read:
Again with the slapping.
but well... Double standards seem to be OK in his case.  :-\
Because there's a hell of a lot of difference between dissent and being a dick.
Canīt but agree with you on this one.

mvdwege

• Plantmonster

Again with the slapping.

Erm, I'm talking about Faye, who is no stranger to casual violence.

Now granted the context may not be immediately obvious, so I might have been more explicit. Given that I specifically wanted to target Faye, and not any women in general, that is as far as I am apologising though.

I understand if you think this is insufficient apology.

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

I donīt see why you should apologize for using a common expression, like I already pointed out elswhere. Valkygrrl  PC- :police: seems to like to take words completely out of context, and I think she should apologize, because I canīt see you actually slap or want to slap (or otherwise bodily harm) Faye (of course not, she just pixels, brought to us by Jeph for us all to enjoy) or any other being on earth with what you wrote.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Anything positive in the cards now?

We may get to see Dr Corinne again...
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Yeah, conversation starts to take a screaming left hand turn into non-productive land when the name calling starts.  What you perceive as hypersensitivity may actually be hyper-vigilance of the sort that is necessary for people with different life experiences and burdens to just get through their day.

mvdwege

• Plantmonster

all that he's got to offer Faye is sharing his buddy's couch when she comes to visit... Faye's literally a complete afterthought.

See, this is what I mean by needless vilification of Angus.

It was a joke. Sure it wasn't in good taste, but we know that Angus' snarky sense of humour often runs away with him before he thinks. It's a bad habit, and in this case it hurt Faye a lot, but it is, given the characterisation we've seen so far, not a reliable indicator that Faye is a mere afterthought.

mvdwege

• Plantmonster

Again with the slapping.

But this is all right?

I am sure the original poster would certainly not harm anyone physically. The behaviour of some political correctness nazis and police in this forum is even more irritating than the behaviour of german wikipedia admins (and, oh, boy, they are annoying!) and harms all discussion on controverse matters.

As the originator of the 'slapping' comment: No. A thousand times no.

You don't get to use a correct, not even antagonistically stated, discomfort at my poor choice of words to go on a crusade against 'political correctness' (which usually means giving free rein to the rudest on the Internet).

valkygrrl had a good point, even if I think the context of Faye should have lightened the impact of my wish for metaphorical slapping.

mvdwege

• Plantmonster

I donīt see why you should apologize for using a common expression, like I already pointed out elswhere.

How about you leave decisions on what I think is the right thing to do to me?

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

all that he's got to offer Faye is sharing his buddy's couch when she comes to visit... Faye's literally a complete afterthought.

It was a joke. Sure it wasn't in good taste, but we know that Angus' snarky sense of humour often runs away with him before he thinks. It's a bad habit, and in this case it hurt Faye a lot, but it is, given the characterisation we've seen so far, not a reliable indicator that Faye is a mere afterthought.

Completely Agree.  Nothing Angus has done has struck a bad chord with me.  He made a joke (in poor taste, though) but it's completely in character for him to do something of the sort.  Once he realized that Faye was pulling away from him he tried to get her to talk to him about it and she just put up The Wall.  Everyone who has run into The Wall, either in their partner or builds it themself (myself for example), knows that there's no attempting to talk because all you're going to get is a sore throat and a headache.  Looks like Faye needs to heed the advice she gave to Dora the night the latter freaked out on the former (and Marten). 
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

Also, a lot of people have said that Angus put her last, and that's not really true. Faye put herself last. She was asking the questions and he was answering them in the order in which they were received.  :-) Of course, it was to set up the joke, which was not at all funny, and I think a case could be made that given the tenor and substance of her questions, making a joke was ... not the best route, but I don't think that in and of itself indicates that Angus doesn't love her.

He does. Just like Marten loved Dora and vice versa. But sometimes love's not enough. Sometimes people can be fundamentally good people, while flawed, and they are just not right for each other. I think that ultimately, Angus and Faye just aren't suited at this point and time in their lives for the long haul. It doesn't make either of them dickish monsters, it just is what it is. What I'm hoping is that they can talk calmly about this and come to whatever conclusions they need to come to in order to close this out - if it IS in fact going to be closed out - without rancor. There's not much precedence for that in the comic. It took a while for Dora and Marten to be friends again. Marten didn't end things well with Padma. Things never got off the ground with him and Delilah. Of course we all know the deal with Faye and Sven, and even Tai experienced angst of not really being into polyamory and not knowing how to express that. And there was Steve and Meena and Steve and the redhead from ages ago. Crash and burn cases, both times.

But I'm hoping that Faye and Angus could blaze a trail in this regard and part as friends.

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

Yeah, conversation starts to take a screaming left hand turn into non-productive land when the name calling starts.  What you perceive as hypersensitivity may actually be hyper-vigilance of the sort that is necessary for people with different life experiences and burdens to just get through their day.
Iīve lived and been through my share of violence (not always physical, violence has many faces) against myself and people close to me throughout my life. Guess what, the ones who made the impression that they could not harm a fly and would never use such "fixed expressions" in conversation turned out to most abusive, reckless, cheating, wife-beating and psycho-abusing lowlife scumbags I have ever met.  And I am not talking about people who may react in a violent (yet equally unappropriate manner, which I equally despise) when under stress, I am talking about continued abuse and violence.

Human nature, in its very essence and as long as our society still has the competitive element it has now (and will have for many years to go) will sometimes lead us to want to react in a violent matter. Mildly violent language and expressions and expletives are, in my opinion, a perfectly valid and socially accepted way of chanelling and discharging our rage, agression and anger just to avoid building up a level emotional tension that could (but not necessarily has to) result in physical agression. I also understand drawing a line between venting anger, frustration or disagreement and actual verbal abuse is very difficult to draw, but thatīs how life is. Are you really, really convinced that this forum is not a part of "life" but an abstract "better place" where farts smell of roses and poop has the colours of the rainbow?

And now to get back to the comic itself:

Faye, in my opinion, has shown a big lack of this behaviour, particularly in the early times of QC. She could not channel her frustration, sadness and anger at her dadīs suicide in a relatively harmless and healty ways (words) so she often used physical violence against Marten to vent herself. Weīve all been witness to it. And after the breakup with Faye, when Marten was absolutely drunk and confronted her about how Faye had her Boyfriend and everything (canīt find the strips now) and (being drunk) asks her for a makeout, she punches him so hard that he thinks he cracked a rib and has a bump on his head the next morning., when she could possibly have defused the situation by simply pushing Marten back on the sofa...

The people reacting so full of anger to some expressions on the forum are very similar in this reaction to this early Faye, so I am sssuming they have issues to resolve themselves, not the ones that are posting these expressions.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Are you really, really convinced that this forum is not a part of "life" but an abstract "better place" where farts smell of roses and poop has the colours of the rainbow?

It's what we make it.  Calling a person who is more sensitive to certain aspects of misogynist culture the 'PC Police' is not helpful.

The people reacting so full of anger to some expressions on the forum are very similar in this reaction to this early Faye, so I am sssuming they have issues to resolve themselves, not the ones that are posting these expressions.

I understand that no one is ever the bad guy in their own movie, but it's entirely possible that a person you disagree with is not the person who's wrong.

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

I understand that no one is ever the bad guy in their own movie, but it's entirely possible that a person you disagree with is not the person who's wrong.
Discussion - a word well present anywhere in the forum - does assume the participants of such discussion, including myself, seriously considering this possibility (the other one being right), yes.   8-)

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

We may get to see Dr Corinne again...

Actually, I would love to see a Dr. Corinne session again. 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I donīt see why you should apologize for using a common expression, like I already pointed out elswhere.

How about you leave decisions on what I think is the right thing to do to me?
I just realised that I mistakenly took the response of another and miscredited it to you, albeit without using names. Apologies.

Tub

• Plantmonster

It's what we make it.  Calling a person who is more sensitive to certain aspects of misogynist culture the 'PC Police' is not helpful.
Except that there was nothing misogynist in there. It was directed at Faye in particular, not at women in general. It was in response to a behaviour of Faye that had nothing to do with her gender.
Speaking out against violent phrases or casual violence is one thing; turning anything into a gender issue and throwing out accusations of misogyny is another. Perceiving anything bad that happens to members of a certain group as a direct result of belonging to that group is a very dangerous form of confirmation bias.

And noone - including valkyrgrrl herself - seems to mind that the accusation of misogyny was phrased in a misandrist way. Yay for double standards. Because male victims of violence are not allowed to have sensitivities, they must "man up" or be laughed at. Right?

JackSpades64

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Okay Jeph, WTF? I was in a relationship. I was in love, had a proposal written and everything. The day after the breakup, you post a certain comic... Dora and Marten breakup. This could be coincidence, yet at this point I am getting a little disturbed. My current most recent one decided today was a good day to end it, the day that Faye and Angus end it. Do me a favor, do not have any more breakups in your comic.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20   Go Up