THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 04:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here's to the New Year  (Read 12640 times)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
Re: Here's to the New Year
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2020, 19:40 »

It is easy to allow the bleak to overrun our selves. There is so much to be bleak about, after all! And has the world, have our friends, have we ourselves not earned our tears? Our grief? Our rage?

But

Though the work be larger than any one of us, though the storm will take each of us in time and I can see no way that cannot come to pass, the storm and the work and the bleak are not everything. They are not the sum.

They are not the sum.

Make your preparations. Learn your weapons and your tools and your supplies. And toil, yes. For as long as you live, yes.

But they are not the sum.

Each of us, dedicated to the dream of all of us.

much work, much grief

and much joy

With tooth and claw you grasp that joy from the bleak and the storm. That dream of all of us.

that dream of all of us

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2020, 21:08 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2020, 21:30 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jan 2021, 09:30 »

I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jan 2021, 14:39 »

Where is 2020 buried? I think many people would like to piss on its grave.

Everyone have a good 2021!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #6 on: 01 Jan 2021, 15:39 »

Piss?  Oh, no.  I’m going to do something else.  Probably a couple of hours after eating a bunch of super-hot curry.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jan 2021, 15:47 »

Is it really worth doing that to yourself? It's dead, it won't know the difference between regular shit and curry shit.
Quis pater tibi est?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jan 2021, 20:17 »

I willingly to that to myself when I *don’t* have something I want to shit on.  I love a good hot curry.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jan 2021, 22:37 »

I'm just thinking that one day when my nieces and nephews ask me what was the best thing about 2020, ... it's kind of a low bar, right?

Uh....  The murder hornets never actually killed anyone.

And...  They developed the vaccines in record time.

It was miraculous how many people escaped the wildfires unharmed.

We used up a whole alphabet worth of hurricane names and got halfway through another.

And...  Uh... The coup attempt failed.  For now, at least.

And...  Lots of cases were asymptomatic. (Except for lifelong erectile dysfunction, but they do use the word 'asymptomatic'...)

And... We didn't start any wars.  Not for lack of trying in a couple cases, but we didn't.

Like I said, kind of a low bar, and I'd have to avoid most of these because curious young minds would ask follow-up questions their parents might not want me to answer right away.

Dock Braun

• Curry sauce
  • Wear a mask.
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jan 2021, 23:05 »

Pedants or pessimists dearest, if we count our years, as we do our hours, from naught, 2020 is just getting started! Let us have our year, the 2021th, with steadfast caution, and progress.
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2021, 23:10 by Dock Braun »
Trouble with the world isn't too many people―it's too many bodies. ---Professor E. Kingswater

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jan 2021, 00:28 »

In the interests of compatibility, we might relabel BCE 1 as year 0 rather than CE 1.

While I am here, lovely people, I hope that the new year fulfills your hopes and dreams. Or at least partially.

2020 was mixed for me. On the one hand, there was the bad you knew about and some bad I won't recount here.

On the other hand, I managed to get a job in a year where I genuinely feared that my months of unemployment might stretch indefinitely. So I am heartily thankful for that.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #13 on: 01 Jan 2022, 04:36 »

Good Riddance, 2021.  May your ilk never bee seen again.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #14 on: 01 Jan 2022, 08:53 »

at least it didn't suck as hard as 2020.  So, progress...  sort of...

Gotta say these last two have been just about the worst on record, at least from my personal POV.
Pages: [1]   Go Up