THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 02:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now act three...

Tropical Storm Martenclaire meets Northern Hurricane Faye for disastrous results
- 32 (26.2%)
The Svenectomy begins
- 16 (13.1%)
Tai razzes Marten and Claire till they're both as red as Claire's hair
- 16 (13.1%)
Steve Eating Cereal: The Legend Continues
- 8 (6.6%)
Clinton finally finds out that big sister has a boyfriend
- 41 (33.6%)
5 straight days of yelling bird cloaca jokes
- 9 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2816-2820 (20-24 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 109732 times)

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I fail to see what a singing dildo would be good for - if you want to use it as a dildo, you wouldn't be able to hear the singing all that well, and if it's the singing you're after, what's the point of it being a dildo? It sounds like a flawed idea to me.
What do you know about Pokémon?

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Sound is generated by vibrating the speaker...

Make enough bass, and you might actually get somewhere useful for a dildo. (Of course, in a speaker that actually fit in a dildo, you'd be rather hard-pressed to make enough bass...)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

I fail to see what a singing dildo would be good for

What is a singing, dancing plastic flower good for? What's a singing plastic mounted fish good for? Nothing. It's a novelty item, more likely to be used for display and to laugh about during a drunken girls' or boys' night in.

That said... Well, there are all sorts in the world and I can imagine that, yes, some people would like their aids to serenade them. Pintsize is sufficiently weird and perverse a mind to realise this. Between these two niche markets, he'd see it as an opportunity to make a relatively honest profit.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2014, 04:20 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Well, if whispering in someone's ear can give them goosebumps...
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

A sentient, escaped dildo. A freedom-seeking phallus.

My ears are burning.

What a dick.

AHH THEY'RE ON FIRE
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Make enough bass, and you might actually get somewhere useful for a dildo. (Of course, in a speaker that actually fit in a dildo, you'd be rather hard-pressed to make enough bass...)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a real vibrator would be a better choice...
What do you know about Pokémon?

swapna

• Curry sauce

Yes, it would be, but would it be something Pintsize would invent? THIS is the important question here ;)

ASB84

I'm a little surprised by Marten's reaction, to be honest. For Pintsize, this seems like a refined endeavour.

BenRG

• coprophage

I'm a little surprised by Marten's reaction, to be honest. For Pintsize, this seems like a refined endeavour.

I suppose that, after an abnormally mundane day (finding a girlfriend and helping shepherd his room-mate/BFF through what promises to be an ugly break-up), coming home to the surreality of his normal everyday life must have been slightly jarring!
~~~~

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

To call giving a sexual aid autonomous mobility and, apparently, a primitive AI... excessive... and potentially dangerous is an understatement. As it is, the best we can hope for is for 'Dilly' to find someone who appreciates his special talents and is willing to be his friend.

Yeah, but if the history of damn near every other technological innovation (except maybe the paperclip) is any indication, a sentient dildo isn't that much of a stretch.

Depends on the soundsystem. And that's all I'm saying about that.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

BenRG

• coprophage

Y'know...

Am I the only one seriously freaked out that we're all sitting at our computers, calmly and rationally discussing the issue of sentient sex aids?
~~~~

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

I'm a little surprised by Marten's reaction, to be honest.

Dude. 

Running, singing dildo.

Marten's reaction was positively zen.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Am I the only one seriously freaked out that we're all sitting at our computers, calmly and rationally discussing the issue of sentient sex aids?

You're new here, right?  Calm and rational is what we aim for!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

To call giving a sexual aid autonomous mobility and, apparently, a primitive AI... excessive... and potentially dangerous is an understatement. As it is, the best we can hope for is for 'Dilly' to find someone who appreciates his special talents and is willing to be his friend.

Yeah, but if the history of damn near every other technological innovation (except maybe the paperclip) is any indication, a sentient dildo isn't that much of a stretch.
And Microsoft already made a talking paperclip, albeit in virtual form, in the office assistant, so why not.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

I fail to see what a singing dildo would be good for - if you want to use it as a dildo, you wouldn't be able to hear the singing all that well, and if it's the singing you're after, what's the point of it being a dildo? It sounds like a flawed idea to me.

So you ear can get the maximum stimulation during... well.. you know.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

I'm not surprised at the existence of a walking, sing dildo because Pintsize.  I'm more surprised that they were able to build one in the first place, because Pintsize.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Pretty sure we've seen this particular dildo before. I believe it briefly replaced Pintsize's head.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

BenRG

• coprophage

I'm not surprised at the existence of a walking, sing dildo because Pintsize.  I'm more surprised that they were able to build one in the first place, because Pintsize.

In all likelihood, it's been jerry-rigged from salvaged components from other 'bots. That's why it's running away; the 'feet and singing' part of the chassis thinks it's something else and wants to get away.
~~~~

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier

It just seems as though she's scapegoating Sven in lieu of confronting the problems that destroyed her last relationship
I have no idea where you're getting that from in the comic. Dora is hard on Sven, I'll grant, though with some reason, but where's the evidence that it is done instead of confronting her own insecurities?
Her sessions with a psychiatrist rather point in this direction, and were posted not that long ago in this thread. For ease of reference, I will provide them again.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1878

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2170

Followed by the recent Svenectomy, it seems a little bit as though she's scapegoating him.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

It just seems as though she's scapegoating Sven in lieu of confronting the problems that destroyed her last relationship
I have no idea where you're getting that from in the comic. Dora is hard on Sven, I'll grant, though with some reason, but where's the evidence that it is done instead of confronting her own insecurities?
Her sessions with a psychiatrist rather point in this direction, and were posted not that long ago in this thread. For ease of reference, I will provide them again.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1878

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2170

Followed by the recent Svenectomy, it seems a little bit as though she's scapegoating him.

Do we know whether the Svenectomy has actually happened, though? We know Dora intends to do it, but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that'd take place off-screen.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

I feel kind of bad I inadvertently set off the chain of discussion about Dora here.  I don't think she is a bad character, but I also agree that I'm not sure we've seen enough character growth in her to expect her relationship with Tai to turn out considerably better than her relationship with Marten.  And while Tai is nearly as laid back as Marten, she's also much more assertive, which means she'll be more likely to call out Dora on her shit (but not escalate) instead of trying to repeatedly defuse the situation like Marten (up until the last few fights, where things were clearly souring).  Regardless, she's plenty likable as a character outside of the confines of relationships, and her relationship issues at this point are no worse than Faye's (but different). 

The only really unlikable character, IMHO, is Marigold.  I've tried to warm up to her, but she just has no redeeming qualities.  While I can relate to portions of her personality (I was a socially awkward dork at one point, as I'm sure many posters have been) that she still acts like she's in high school in her early-to-mid 20s is grating.  Plus she's seemingly dull, lacking the intellectual heft that the nerdy often have to counterbalance poor social skills.  Her pairing with Dale still seems inexplicable to me, because besides his lack of experience with women, Dale seems to be one of the most responsible and together characters in the entire strip. 

BenRG

• coprophage

Her pairing with Dale still seems inexplicable to me, because besides his lack of experience with women, Dale seems to be one of the most responsible and together characters in the entire strip.

It's my feeling that Dale's relationship with Marigold started as pure physical lust and fascination on Dale's part, made humorous because, as May pointed out, his approach to wooing her was basically that of an elementary school kid. They also share interests (MMORPGs and animé), I've got to say, I don't think it will last. After the novelty of sex wears off, they don't seem to have much to tie them together on more than the shallowest of levels. Maybe they'll progress and maybe they won't but I suspect that, thanks to his new job at CoD, Dale will be a permanent fixture.

That said... I can honestly see Marigold running off to New York with Angus if Jeph wants to do something sufficiently "Wham!" to conclude the FAngus arc. I can think of at least one occasion when Angus was with Faye and Marigold distracted him to the point where Faye had to hit him to reset his brain. It would be purely physical on both sides but, arguably, so is Dale/Marigold.
~~~~

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

It's useful to step back and evaluate characters in this or any other fictional setting not so much as to whether you like them but how well they serve their function as characters in the story. What do they illustrate? How do they move along the plot/characterization/growth of themselves or other characters? (I was once derided as "robotic" by a former forumite -- for whom Faye apparently represented everything evil in her own life -- for this view, but that computes just fine with me.) As for what's depicted as (and another forumite tried to start a fight with me for making that fictional-depiction distinction) one character's attraction for another, I'm sure we've all found that that rarely makes sense in real life.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

The only really unlikable character, IMHO, is Marigold.  I've tried to warm up to her, but she just has no redeeming qualities.  While I can relate to portions of her personality (I was a socially awkward dork at one point, as I'm sure many posters have been) that she still acts like she's in high school in her early-to-mid 20s is grating.  Plus she's seemingly dull, lacking the intellectual heft that the nerdy often have to counterbalance poor social skills.  Her pairing with Dale still seems inexplicable to me, because besides his lack of experience with women, Dale seems to be one of the most responsible and together characters in the entire strip.

I really disagree with a lot of this, but it's mostly opinion so I'll leave most of it be, but there are two things I want to point out - in terms of "intellectual heft," it's established that Marigold can code pretty well.

As for the pairing with Dale, I don't think it is all that inexplicable considering he's been pulling her pigtails in and out of WoW for quite some time now, ever since she slammed the door in his face after discovering a member of the Alliance was delivering pizza to her house. (HOW DARE HE.)  Sometimes that sense of "challenge" is enough to engage other feelings.  I think it kind of makes perfect sense.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Video isn't displaying, but I'm wondering if you're thinking of the same song I am...

Yeah, I don't have the hang of posting Youtube Videos.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

She's someone I'd take in small doses, certainly not someone I'd have dated. But I don't know that I'd go so far as to say "unlikable," that she lacks intellectual heft, or that she has no redeeming qualities. Jeph himself has said that her "self-esteem [is] undetectable with current technology." I think -- basing this off people I've known -- that she's probably book smart, but needs a bit of work in the common sense and social graces departments. What little we know of her backstory suggests that she was bullied; her mom's never been mentioned, and her dad seems to be as socially stunted as she is (though I could, admittedly, be reading a bit much into it; we haven't seen much of him); and, combining those things with her insecurity, it's entirely possible that these are pretty much the first friends she's had in a long time, if ever. So some of the perceived immaturity could be coming from a simple lack of socialization that came about, at least in part, as a defense mechanism -- when people aren't just an annoyance but a perceived or potential danger, you're more likely to keep them at arm's length. We've seen her start to open up, and we've also seen times (like when she attempted to take care of Hanners around the start of the wedding storyline) where she's tried to be a good, or at least better, friend to the people around her. She's got some growing up to do, but it does look as though she's trying.

Regarding her relationship with Dale: I don't see how that lasts. It's like any other relationship -- if you haven't got anything in common beyond sex and a few pop culture touchstones, you don't have much of a foundation. I don't think that anime's enough to hold a relationship together by itself. Either Dale backs out because he's got his act together more than Marigold, or Marigold finds enough self-confidence that she realizes that she and Dale have very little in common and decides to find something/someone else. It's also worth mentioning that Dale/Marigold and Faye/Angus developed in much the same way (guy somewhat quixotically pursues disinterested girl, gets girl); what remains to be seen is how the Dale/Marigold endgame ends up different from Faye and Angus's.

The only reason I'm not sure about the "Marigold runs off to NYC with Angus" angle is that Marigold was, for a time (not sure if she still is) Jeph's favorite character. Then again, Hanners was once, too, and we hardly ever see her anymore... so maybe you've got something there.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2014, 07:55 by Aziraphale »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Took back a lot of that post, Aziraphale?

On topic: I suspect that all of family Bianchi is messed up. And it's not just because the 'rents did drugs before (and during?) their childhoods.

I can just see Elsa now: "Oh, dear, that's silly. I tried that approach with your Uncle Wilbur, and he ended up as one of your father's groomsmen!"
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Yeah, I don't have the hang of posting Youtube Videos.

For YouTube and Vimeo you put the whole URL between the tags, not just the parameters.  This is different for the Twitter tags, in which you put only the tweet number.

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

The only reason I'm not sure about the "Marigold runs off to NYC with Angus" angle is that Marigold was, for a time (not sure if she still is) Jeph's favorite character. Then again, Hanners was once, too, and we hardly ever see her anymore... so maybe you've got something there.

I don't see Marigold leaving with Angus 'cause Angus has exactly zero interest in her, and she in him.  As for her and Dale, good chemistry has kept friends of mine together years past me being able to figure out what they could possibly be talking about when they're not having sex.

It's funny you say we don't see much of Hannelore - she was at the bar on the night Marten and Claire began pairing up, and before that she had an entire strip to herself to search for what weiners smell like.  I've mostly found that Hanners will be there in every situation, if only at the periphery.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Took back a lot of that post, Aziraphale?

On topic: I suspect that all of family Bianchi is messed up. And it's not just because the 'rents did drugs before (and during?) their childhoods.

I can just see Elsa now: "Oh, dear, that's silly. I tried that approach with your Uncle Wilbur, and he ended up as one of your father's groomsmen!"

That's odd. I can't find the code/tag in there to strike text anywhere, and yet it's clearly... uh... struck?

EDITED: Found it. I'd put brackets around an S that I'd switched to lowercase, not realizing that was actually the BB code for the strike-through. S'what I get for trying to be grammatically correct. :P

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I don't see Marigold leaving with Angus 'cause Angus has exactly zero interest in her, and she in him.  As for her and Dale, good chemistry has kept friends of mine together years past me being able to figure out what they could possibly be talking about when they're not having sex.

It's funny you say we don't see much of Hannelore - she was at the bar on the night Marten and Claire began pairing up, and before that she had an entire strip to herself to search for what weiners smell like.  I've mostly found that Hanners will be there in every situation, if only at the periphery.

That's kinda my point. She used to be part of the main cast; now she's mainly wallpaper. :P

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Okay... so why is it that gaming and anime is to shallow of interest to base a relationship around, but hanging out at a coffee shop and musical tastes is? Or working at the same place and being comfortable around each other? Yes, I'm being snarky because it seems like gaming in and anime is being dismissed here, perhaps as just 'silly kid stuff'. But what else do either Marigold or Dale have in their life outside of work. Why is Dale working multiple part time jobs and helping to support his mom more 'having his life together' than Marigold running a business outside of her home? Albeit one where her father is apparently the only customer, but still. Maybe Dale and Marigold will stay together. Maybe not.  If not then probably because it was a first relationship for both of them. Not because they only share the same interests together... which are the only interests either of them have shown.

BenRG

• coprophage

Neko, I'd be more sanguine about Marigold and Dale's chances if, in the few times we've seen them together, they'd demonstrated an ability (or even willingness) to communicate. As far as we know, according to what Marigold has said to Hannelore, most of their interaction is purely sex.

To me, the key to a really strong relationship is a multi-strand friendship. Common interests, common attitudes and common likes/dislikes. Even if all other things fail, if you've got that friendship, it gives you someone on which to rest the relationship. None of the relationships we've currently got in QC have all these but there is time for at least some of them to develop them.
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

That will get better in time. Neither of them was particularly good at communicating with someone they were attracted to. Dale was more suave than the largely shut-in Marigold, except when it came to expressing his interest in Marigold. Then he reverted back to more grade-school wooing techniques.. which was pretty creepy in a 20something year old. The fact that all they seem to do lately is boink (according to May, which is not the most reliable source) is because they were both late bloomers apparently, discovering this wonderful thing with someone. After the honeymoon phase wears off they'll probably calm down some. After that though, of all the couples we've seen in QC, they have the most in common as far as interests go. Aside from that dumb Horde/Alliance thing it's practically like they were made for each other. That doesn't mean they are any more likely to stay together forever than any other couple, but it doesn't mean the'll break up as soon as the sex high wears off either. I honestly think they'll have a more stable relationship than most because of having so many shared interests. They'll never lack of something to talk about.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I'd put brackets around an S that I'd switched to lowercase, not realizing that was actually the BB code for the strike-through. S'what I get for trying to be grammatically correct. :P

To display the [s], use the "[nobbc]...[/nobbc]" tags to disable it (quote this post to see the example[s] in action).

Conzy

• Not quite a lurker

Was pretty delighted to see Pintsize being goofy again today, he's the reason I got into the series so much, I always hope that Jeph will include him more in the capacity that to (actually being a companion for Marten) but as has been discussed now that Marten has his own friends his work is pretty much done. That being said, it's a bit of a shame that as one of his oldest friends (I use the term lightly) Marten doesn't seem to interact with Pintsize much.

Unfortunately, I pretty much agree with most posters about Marigold and Dale. Once the constant banging phase of the relationship is over I doubt they'll have enough substance in the relationship to keep them both together. It's a shame, but at least we know it will be comedy gold, what with Marigold's flair for over-reacting and Dale's near impervious chilled outlook. Might be an interesting switch for Marigold to be completely beside herself for a couple strips, but bounce back quickly, whereas Dale gets uncharacteristically mopey, which could again be cause for humour (for us) within the workplace.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Okay... so why is it that gaming and anime is to shallow of interest to base a relationship around, but hanging out at a coffee shop and musical tastes is? Or working at the same place and being comfortable around each other? Yes, I'm being snarky because it seems like gaming in and anime is being dismissed here, perhaps as just 'silly kid stuff'. But what else do either Marigold or Dale have in their life outside of work. Why is Dale working multiple part time jobs and helping to support his mom more 'having his life together' than Marigold running a business outside of her home? Albeit one where her father is apparently the only customer, but still. Maybe Dale and Marigold will stay together. Maybe not.  If not then probably because it was a first relationship for both of them. Not because they only share the same interests together... which are the only interests either of them have shown.

I wouldn't say it's a bad basis for a relationship. I've had relationships start because of music, books, particularly good one-liners, and even spectacular misunderstandings. None of those things (or gaming, or anime, or macrame, or Conway Twitty's greatest hits) are, in and of themselves, "bad" or somehow invalid reasons to start a relationship. What I *am* saying, though, is if you don't find something in common beyond that initial point of commonality, you may have the basis for a decent acquaintance, but might be on shakier ground when it comes to building a solid LTR. As Ben mentions, the only thing they seem to have in common besides gaming and anime, for the time being, is a furious enthusiasm for sex. Good for them, but again, based not on future plot developments but on their situation thus far, that's kinda weak sauce.

Or maybe I'm too much of a stickler for communication and deeper/more numerous points of commonality. YMMV... after all, each of us has different criteria by which we judge the viability of a relationship. I just think that absent some serious personal growth -- on both their parts -- this falls more into "fling" than "LTR" territory, based on what we've seen thus far.

I'd put brackets around an S that I'd switched to lowercase, not realizing that was actually the BB code for the strike-through. S'what I get for trying to be grammatically correct. :P

To display the [s], use the "[nobbc]...[/nobbc]" tags to disable it (quote this post to see the example[s] in action).

Thanks for that.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

I really disagree with a lot of this, but it's mostly opinion so I'll leave most of it be, but there are two things I want to point out - in terms of "intellectual heft," it's established that Marigold can code pretty well.

I know this.  That doesn't change the fact that whenever other characters bring up something deeper than Anime or WoW, she's not only uninterested, but openly dismissive of them

She's someone I'd take in small doses, certainly not someone I'd have dated. But I don't know that I'd go so far as to say "unlikable," that she lacks intellectual heft, or that she has no redeeming qualities. Jeph himself has said that her "self-esteem [is] undetectable with current technology." I think -- basing this off people I've known -- that she's probably book smart, but needs a bit of work in the common sense and social graces departments. What little we know of her backstory suggests that she was bullied; her mom's never been mentioned, and her dad seems to be as socially stunted as she is (though I could, admittedly, be reading a bit much into it; we haven't seen much of him); and, combining those things with her insecurity, it's entirely possible that these are pretty much the first friends she's had in a long time, if ever. So some of the perceived immaturity could be coming from a simple lack of socialization that came about, at least in part, as a defense mechanism -- when people aren't just an annoyance but a perceived or potential danger, you're more likely to keep them at arm's length. We've seen her start to open up, and we've also seen times (like when she attempted to take care of Hanners around the start of the wedding storyline) where she's tried to be a good, or at least better, friend to the people around her. She's got some growing up to do, but it does look as though she's trying.

I first joined the forum, years ago, to complain about Marigold basically.  Jeph decided to do a gender switch and put a stereotypical male "basement dweller" personality on a female character (which made it marginally more interesting/endearing - on a guy the same behavior would be even more repulsive).  I just found it really unbelievable - not so much because there aren't a lot of dorky socially awkward women who love anime, but because every dorky socially awkward woman who loves anime who is even moderately attractive has had some dating experience by the time they are out of college (unless they have compounding issues like sexual abuse).  Virtually all women get approached, even if it's by self-interested scumbags, and doesn't have a happy ending.  Marigold should have been a mess, but not a mess that had never even kissed anyone. 

But yeah, the best thing I can say about Marigold is she tries to be a good person, even though she almost always fucks it up.  Honestly with her penchant for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, I'm shocked it hasn't caused an issue in her relationship with Dale yet. 

My personal issues with Marigold though, as I said, may be that aspects of her personality just seemed too close to home to me.  I certainly remember popular kids being nice to me, but pushing them away because I presumed they were just doing it as part of some elaborate ruse to make fun of me.  But that was all the way back in middle school, and an era of my life I'm doing my best to forget. 
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2014, 09:42 by eschaton »

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

I just found it really unbelievable - not so much because there aren't a lot of dorky socially awkward women who love anime, but because every dorky socially awkward woman who loves anime who is even moderately attractive has had some dating experience by the time they are out of college (unless the have compounding issues like sexual abuse).  Virtually all women get approached, even if it's by self-interested scumbags, and doesn't have a happy ending.  Marigold should have been a mess, but not a mess that had never even kissed anyone. 

...What?  That's not even remotely true.  In fact, there are normal, attractive women who are interested in mainstream things that don't even get approached.  It has to do with your level of socialization, not the fact that you're a woman, and considering she's portrayed as someone who pretty much actively pushes people away and has terrible hygiene (at least, when she's introduced), it's really not that surprising that she wouldn't have had someone ask her out before.

Please don't generalize about an entire gender.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

The only really unlikable character, IMHO, is Marigold.  I've tried to warm up to her, but she just has no redeeming qualities.
I dunno.  May thinks she has two.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

But what song does the dildo sing? I suggest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjjgEogU78E
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Svennerson

• Not quite a lurker
  • Because I can.

She'll always be a-Dora-able to me.

I made an account to say that pun was simultaneously the greatest and worst thing I've ever read.  Actual analysis and discussion coming later.
If we look, deep, deep inside ourselves, we'll see a bit of Pintsize <3

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

But what song does the dildo sing? I suggest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjjgEogU78E

Whatever it is, I'm sure it's heavy on the vibrato.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Quote from: Trollmaster, Master of Trolls
And down the stairs and out into the street and on a bus and all the way to Amherst

Oh dear...

Where the AI, Engineering, Psychology, and Sexual Relations Students/Teachers/Grads all had varying theories as to how it works and it's effect on humanity

It wasn't so much the escape as the implications of the term 'put on a bus'. Is it a hint that someone will be?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Svennerson

• Not quite a lurker
  • Because I can.

I'm sorry for my brattishness. There's no excuse. I'm very ashamed of myself right now. There's nothing you said or did or implied that warranted my responses. I feel horrible that I made you question yourself and caused you any disquiet.

I think that I need to let this arc play out in its entirety, Svenectomy included, before chiming in again. At the very least, I'll have a better idea of where the comic might be headed in the short term, and it's very possible that any drama involving Dora will have come - and possibly gone - by then.

Thanks for that. I feel better, and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you're ready.

Hey both of you, you both added some great discussion and I appreciated both of your thoughts!  I'd just like to chip in that neither of you should feel that hard on yourself, because this is the internet.  Just as you two saw two different interpretations from each other on the Allie subplot, you two saw different interpretations on the same post.  Tone is incredibly hard to control, and discrepancies over tone shouldn't be harped on if they come to a good conclusion.

Back to the comic, my one concern for the coming comics is mainly with an overload in Tai.  Yes, she has been a calm, chill customer throughout the comic, but we haven't really seen her in much high-stress situations.  Between Dora being pissed at her brother (which will likely leak), and then potential subsequent drama with Faye, on top of Marten and Claire flirting, on top of school is about to start again and with it coming an increased workload, I could see her making an uncharacteristic slip up.  It would probably go something like Dora is less loving/physical in their relationship, Tai learns about the Svenectomy, Tai, who is used to "getting some" fairly regularly both before and during the relationship, is now thrust out of her comfort zone, she sees Marten and Claire getting too lovey after a stressful day in the library and blows up.  I don't think any individual one of these would be enough to set her off, but combined, it could be a major issue.
If we look, deep, deep inside ourselves, we'll see a bit of Pintsize <3

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Or "Yakkety Sax." Or this oldie but goodie:

Whatever it is, I'm sure it's heavy on the vibrato.

I just choked on my lunch. Thanks.  :lol:

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

well, that certainly lends a new meaning to a certain recent pop song.

Signal Firefly

• Not quite a lurker

I imagine it's like one of those vibrators that plugs into your iPod and vibrates to the music.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

What is a singing, dancing plastic flower good for? What's a singing plastic mounted fish good for? Nothing. It's a novelty item, more likely to be used for display and to laugh about during a drunken girls' or boys' night in.

That said... Well, there are all sorts in the world and I can imagine that, yes, some people would like their aids to serenade them. Pintsize is sufficiently weird and perverse a mind to realise this. Between these two niche markets, he'd see it as an opportunity to make a relatively honest profit.

Perhaps the reason he gave it legs is because he was envisioning a business with singing dildos delivering singing telegrams! So the singing voice would be used only while the dildo was not in actual use for its original purpose.

Why singing telegrams? Knowing Pintsize, why not?  Although I do like the notion of the legs being a stretch goal for Pintsize's Kickstarter.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up