THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now act three...

Tropical Storm Martenclaire meets Northern Hurricane Faye for disastrous results
- 32 (26.2%)
The Svenectomy begins
- 16 (13.1%)
Tai razzes Marten and Claire till they're both as red as Claire's hair
- 16 (13.1%)
Steve Eating Cereal: The Legend Continues
- 8 (6.6%)
Clinton finally finds out that big sister has a boyfriend
- 41 (33.6%)
5 straight days of yelling bird cloaca jokes
- 9 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2816-2820 (20-24 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 111070 times)

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico

And before anyone thinks I'm saying Angus isn't also responsible for the situation... I'm not.

Angus has consistently been sort of oblivious to things going on around him. And he does tend to talk before he thinks, which is where I think the "Can't you just be happy for me" came from.

He really is the anti-Marten in a lot of ways. Marten is observant of his friends feelings and tends to overthink before he deals with issues. Angus misses things entirely and tends to speak before thinking. Marten is passive, Angus is assertive. Marten doesn't know what he wants in life, Angus is going after his dreams.

On the other hand, both of them, when aware of an issue and have had time to process, have shown they are caring and sensitive individuals.

Emperor Norton

Angus has less of crippling burden, therefore greater resources. If he wants a continuing relationship with Faye, that means he--as the party with more resources--has to take on more work.

I reread all your posts before I made the last reply. Please, explain how this sentence says anything other than: Angus has to do the work to make the relationship work.

And here is the other part of this: Even if you think this is true, this is just going to build resentment and cause its own damage. Faye has to either learn to carry part of the load, or it will, eventually, lead to resentment. This is something else we saw in Dora and Marten's relationship.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Tugboats often have old tires down the sides as fenders. Or the boat could be an AmphiCar, a "Seep" or a DUKW. Tires.

My grandpa used to captain a tugboat, so it is not as though I'm unfamiliar with the term, but I keep misreading that as 'tub goat.'

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

Angus has less of crippling burden, therefore greater resources. If he wants a continuing relationship with Faye, that means he--as the party with more resources--has to take on more work.

I reread all your posts before I made the last reply. Please, explain how this sentence says anything other than: Angus has to do the work to make the relationship work.

And here is the other part of this: Even if you think this is true, this is just going to build resentment and cause its own damage. Faye has to either learn to carry part of the load, or it will, eventually, lead to resentment. This is something else we saw in Dora and Marten's relationship.

More ≠ All.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Tugboats often have old tires down the sides as fenders. Or the boat could be an AmphiCar, a "Seep" or a DUKW. Tires.

Funny, I almost made a comment about a DUKW, but I didn't know if anybody'd get it.

I would; we've got several doing tourist runs through the city and then onto the river here in London.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

mvdwege

• Plantmonster

On the other hand, both of them, when aware of an issue and have had time to process, have shown they are caring and sensitive individuals.

I'm on record defending Angus, especially against people who read implications in his described behaviour that he doesn't care for Faye ('last thing on his mind' was the last wording that set me off). But I must agree here: both found themselves in a horrible bind.

Faye was actually rather sweet; she didn't want to put a cloud over Angus' enthusiasm by bringing up her fears. That this also provided her with an excuse to delay a hard-needed talk until it was (maybe) too late was a nice extra, dramatically speaking.

Angus knew at least of some of Faye's issues, and enough of her hatred of the Big City that a long-distance relationship was the only option. Now he finds out, with a bolt out of the blue, that Faye's issues are worse than he knew, that even a long-distance relationship might not be possible, and from my reading from last Friday's comic that hurt a lot.

Neither of them acted with perfect smarts. They are human. I'd still prefer to have them hash out the problems now and seriously give the relationship another try, long-distance, but I find both of them equally to 'blame'.

Note the quotes: there is no real blame. Just two people who care for each other and mean well, but compounded each other's flaws in a horrible way in this situation.

poofdepoof

• Not quite a lurker

This is a little late and possibly has already been mentioned, but I was just Random-ing around and found this again: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2671

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Faye is the more sympathetic character, purely because we've known her longer and more deeply than Angus, I rather suspect that is part and parcel of people vilifying Angus. They have a sense of "ownership" about Faye.

On the flipside, knowing Faye is not equivalent to loving Faye. There's plenty about her that's perfectly unlikable, while Angus is more of a blank slate. He's a generally decent guy. One can make out a stalker accusation against him, but it's totally unwarranted. He was up front about coming to CoD to get his fix of wit, and generally didn't follow Faye beyond the shop until Faye started showing up in his life.

And it's not entirely unfair to blame Faye. Angus is guilty of ignoring what he didn't want to see, but Faye went out of her way to make it easy for him to do that. All intentions were good, on both sides. Their intentions made excellent pavers.

Angus made a mistake, at the end. Walking out in silence wasn't the best move. But people are, generally, over stating his options. It was Faye who ended the communication, and the best thing Angus could have done was to state he was open to talk later. As has been noted, rather a lot, he can't do anything if Faye doesn't cooperate. In the end, she shut down.

So Angus didn't make the optimal choice in the end, but Faye didn't either. She could have admitted she was confused and scared and uncertain, and just not able to deal. Something in that sense came up when Angus asked if they were even going to try. But rather than go there, she dodged the question. Considering the gravity of the question, Angus is entirely justified in being very hurt.

I see both sides. Objectively, Angus is getting shafted, and that says to me that the relationship is all over but the crying. As I've stated before, it's going to be more work on Angus's part to get through this. Thankless work, or something close to it. Angus is patient with Faye, but he's no Marten. I just don't see him signing up for it, without assurances I don't think Faye can give. It's not fair, and he already feels wronged.

Maybe I'm misjudging him, or maybe Faye isn't doing this because she watched her dad commit suicide. Those would change everything. But I'm betting I'm not. And, to be honest, Angus deserves better. But Faye may not have that give. If she doesn't, patching things up will require a heroic effort on his part, and that may be more than he has to give.

This is a little late and possibly has already been mentioned, but I was just Random-ing around and found this again: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2671

Possibly relevant as one reason Faye hid her true feelings, and Marten will not approve, but my bet is he won't get upset with her. His drunk ass said that because he was miserable and she had a chance for not miserable. She is his best friend. He may not know why he's hugging her, but I bet he suspects.

Emperor Norton

I don't think Marten would pull a Faye and be legit angry like Faye was to Dora after the Dora/Marten breakup, but I can see him being critical of the way she ended it, in a supporting way, telling her that she at least should talk to him, even if its just to hash out the feelings enough to say that it is over and not leave everything on such a bad note.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Hugs aren't my forte.  I'm pretty sure I can count of the number of hugs I've had in my entire life on one hand.

Why so few?
Not everyone grows up in a happy loving family.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Hugs aren't my forte.  I'm pretty sure I can count of the number of hugs I've had in my entire life on one hand.

Why so few?
True dat. Also, when society gives you a "don't touch me" vibe nine times out of ten, you start to miss the tenths.

We're not even touching on places where hugs really aren't a thing.

snarkyone

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Who knew the grail wasn't dishwasher safe?

:'(  I understand that well...  I'd hug you if I could... :)
"No one cares how much you know, till they know how much you care.

Omio

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • ... ... ...

Marten, good show. No questions asked, possibly not even a derailing of mood, just... ...hug. Not much in way of speaking until after, just instant hug (and thus instant win). /applaud
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2014, 16:40 by Omio »
...Trying to meta on Tetris is impossible, I swear.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

Man, it woulda been way smarter and more effective for Angus to remember for a brief moment that it kinda sucks for some people when their partner moves to the another city to pursue their dreams. I don't want to remove Fay's agency or treat her like she's a turnip but this woulda made more sense for Angus to handle. Still, I have hope for those two.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

All too true. I didn't. Which is why I'm ensuring that my son does.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Emperor Norton

Man, it woulda been way smarter and more effective for Angus to remember for a brief moment that it kinda sucks for some people when their partner moves to the another city to pursue their dreams. I don't want to remove Fay's agency or treat her like she's a turnip but this woulda made more sense for Angus to handle. Still, I have hope for those two.

He tried to bring it up several times, between each step of the audition process. He even considered not even going to the audition (which would have been a terrible idea) when talking to Marten.

He's been thinking about this from the beginning. He just can't talk about it with her until she actually decides to talk about it.

(I just reread everything with the two of them in it from like, 2600 on. I had actually missed how many times he tried to discuss it.)

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Yup, yup. That's why I'm understanding of both sides.

Sure, Angus could have done better. He had several opportunities and missed them. But the thing is, he showed up saying, "WOOO WEEE! I JUST WON THE LOTTERY!"

And Faye was all, "Negative Ghostrider. The Pattern is full."

He wasn't expecting it, and having his good news (good new about HIM) cause someone he loves to become obstinate probably hurt, a lot. Faye bounced from signs of fear to direct challenge, so it probably wasn't obvious to him that she was afraid. So he's all "WTF?" He had chances to get inside Faye's doom spiral and head it off, but I don't think a reasonable person could have seen those chances under the circumstances.

What happened between them was like a classic internet argument. Two people talking past each other. By the time Angus cottoned what was up, the situation was tricky. 

Edit: typos

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

I think this will be good for both of them.

Angus will be unburdened when he gets to NY, he can focus on his job and finding a place. If they were still together he would have to spend a lot of energy reassuring Faye.

Faye has gotten closer to realizing what she wants from a relationship; and realizing that, even if a boyfriends leaves her, the support system that she has here is amazing and will hold her up.

LilShortstuf

• Not quite a lurker
  • Shenanigans

A spinoff comic staring the bros would be fantastic

Maybe the bros recruit Steve to be part of their secret order?

He's the secret member of the secret order. The HBIC, as it were.

Well Steve has already outed his Bro Sense.
Fixed the link. Care to fix it in the original post? Once it's done, I'll fix this message to say my peace (tl;dr version: I applaud Marten).

Danke. I'm used to a different forum so did the wrong code. Just need to get used to this one.

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

Hi there everyone! :)

Long time reader, mid-time lurker, finally made an account, I have been archive binging the comic from the beginning this past 2 weeks and wanted to add my 2 cents in.

I think something that a lot of people seem to forget, even tho it is discussed about, is the time in QC verse vs what we as readers experience. I think to date, the only couple that you could probably consider developing/existing long term was Dora+Marten, specially with the time skip. However, both Claire+Marten and Angus+Faye have not been going on for that long if you really think about it. Sure, Angus and Faye have been courting for a long time now, but as a relationship, it feels that it has not been that long, maybe a couple of months at most. So Angus making this big a decision is not completely selfish, just he doesn't know any better because as a couple they have not existed for that long. There's that thing about a 7 year itch, but most people who have been in a long term relationship should have experienced a similar thing along the 3-5 month mark. If its overcome, the relationship progresses, but they are still technically learning about each other. same when a couple decides to move together. No matter how much time they spend with each other normally, its not quite the same actually living together. If both Faye and Angus manage to figure something out, maybe the LDR for a while, they will officially have overcome a milestone in their relationship. If not, then it wasn't meant to be. It happens in real life all the time, that's just how it is.

For Claire and Marten, they also have not know each other for a long time either. I mean, from what I just read, the wedding didn't happen that much longer after they started as interns, and while I have had experience with people feeling comfortable enough to open up and revel secrets about themselves to me in a very short time, it seemed that the level of comfort and confidence she displayed towards Marten was rather high in such a short time. I'll scratch it up to Marten being a nice guy and having that kind of charisma tho. Time will tell how much any of this affects the relationship. I mean, rushing things didn't work for Dora in the long run when she pursued Marten, but she had known him for a while longer at least. We'll see if it plays a role this time or if Marten has truly grown as a person and learned from past mistakes or not.

What I'm trying to say is, people are giving these situations a lot of flak, guided by like or dislike of the characters, which in itself speaks well of Jeph's ability as a story teller to invest his readers in the characters, but as characters in a relationship, they are still fresh and learning to handle them. Its hard enough to make a relationship work sometimes with the normal things you gotta face, let alone with the myriad of issues some of them carry. All we can do is enjoy the ride and hope the good story(ies) Jeph has been telling for a decade now remain as interesting and compelling, and most importantly, relatable as they have always been :)

P.S> I laughed a lot at how some things Jeph wrote back then are funny or ironic in hindsight, like his newpost on strip 2217 (sorry, don't know how to do the fancy links yet) regarding how everyone assumed he would hook up with one of the interns :P

PPS> sorry if my post was mostly incoherent rambling, been a long day
"Wit is educated insolence" - Aristotle

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

Skull zombie wants your coffee.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Claire and Marten have known each other for 2 to 3 months. It's been 5 weeks to 2 months since the wedding. The lower values are easier to justify, but details of skipped time simply aren't there.

AprilArcus has a good analysis in the passage of time thread, and on the wiki.

Welcome. Eat, drink, be merry. Or, if you prefer, Mary.

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

Yeah I have read the thread on the passage of time, but that is my point, to us it has felt like a long time, a year actually even tho its much less than that, but realistically, they are still infant relationships in the case of Faye/Angus, and with Marten/Claire I just see a parallel to when Dora and Tai started dating: Dora pointed out how they didn't really know each other all that well yet and she was still "the hot chick from the library" and wanted to work on getting to know each other. As much confidence as Claire has put on Marten, they still have a lot to learn about each other, and Angus and Faye even tho they have known each other for longer, they don't seem like they ever really sat down to share a lot between them. I was just pointing out how that fact has been left out in favor of people pointing fingers and trying to assign blame.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Two thumbs up. And I mean that with no trace of snark or irony. It's hard as hell to break the cycle. Your son's lucky to have someone who learned from the experience and is trying their best not to see it happen again.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Two thumbs up.

After due consideration, please make it three, and a hug, from me.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

My one other problem was Angus in all his excitement ran to her public place of work to drop the bombshell on her, instead of telling her at one of their homes in private whete she may not feel quite so exposed and vunerable.

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

My one other problem was Angus in all his excitement ran to her public place of work to drop the bombshell on her, instead of telling her at one of their homes in private whete she may not feel quite so exposed and vunerable.

To be fair, he expected her to react differently, unless it's "bad news" it makes perfect sense to tell her at work, so she'd have a reason to be happy (for him) the rest of the day. If he had had an inkling that it would bother her, then yeah, he might have done it privately, but I see no reason why he would if he expects a positive reaction to the news

Emperor Norton

Also, he probably just arrived back in town, and was super excited. Honestly, if it had been me, I would have already been on the phone the moment I heard, I'm surprised he got all the way back to town first.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Yeah I have read the thread on the passage of time, but that is my point, to us it has felt like a long time, a year actually even tho its much less than that, but realistically, they are still infant relationships in the case of Faye/Angus, and with Marten/Claire I just see a parallel to when Dora and Tai started dating: Dora pointed out how they didn't really know each other all that well yet and she was still "the hot chick from the library" and wanted to work on getting to know each other. As much confidence as Claire has put on Marten, they still have a lot to learn about each other, and Angus and Faye even tho they have known each other for longer, they don't seem like they ever really sat down to share a lot between them. I was just pointing out how that fact has been left out in favor of people pointing fingers and trying to assign blame.

Worth noting:  we see 15 days (possibly 17) pass from Angus first kissing Faye until April's timeline starts. But, logically much more time passed, because (calling the kiss day one) on day four Marten and Dora break up. On day eight, Steve is incredulous that Marten isn't yet over Dora. That probably throws strict dating of events off, but there's no way Steve would expect Marten to bounce back in 4 days. (Marten claims that being over Dora isn't the issue, supporting the idea that Steve is not being douchy.)

It seems likely that Angus and Faye have been together for nearly 6 months at this point. Not an epic amount of time, but neither too short to bond in a serious manner. I wouldn't call 6 months infant.

By the same token, starting a relationship with someone you have known for 2 months seems fairly sedate.  That's not to imply anything, other than the fact that Claire and Marten didn't exactly rush into this.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Carl-E called that one, looks like.

Good on Marten for not rubbing Faye's face in his great day.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

He totally rubbed it in. Now Faye wishes she had delicious pancakes.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Any day with pancakes is an awesome day.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

To be fair, he expected her to react differently, unless it's "bad news" it makes perfect sense to tell her at work, so she'd have a reason to be happy (for him) the rest of the day. If he had had an inkling that it would bother her, then yeah, he might have done it privately, but I see no reason why he would if he expects a positive reaction to the news

Angus certainly convinced himself that any signs that Faye was not prepared to support him were nothing. Faye went out of her way to help him do that. I can't say his wanting to share the joy in a manner allowing for kisses and hugs is at all unreasonable from his perspective.

It is, as suggested, hard to believe he managed to keep it quiet for a train ride out of the city, plus whatever time he had after leaving the call back.

Only the motivation of sharing the good news in person makes it believable. The excitement and holding it in so long goes a ways toward explaining how he missed Faye's signs until it was too late.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Good on Marten for not rubbing Faye's face in his great day.
He totally rubbed it in. Now Faye wishes she had delicious pancakes.

Unless Angus really loves pancakes, in which case Marten is only making it worse.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

It seems likely that Angus and Faye have been together for nearly 6 months at this point. Not an epic amount of time, but neither too short to bond in a serious manner. I wouldn't call 6 months infant.

By the same token, starting a relationship with someone you have known for 2 months seems fairly sedate.  That's not to imply anything, other than the fact that Claire and Marten didn't exactly rush into this.

Fair enough, but the fact that Angus is out of town for work (or at least was mentioned he worked out of town often) means out of those 6 months they didn't spend all of it together, and when they did get together, seemed maybe not a strictly physical relationship by any means but I can see a lot of their efforts spent making up that time apart. Faye may be more open about her issues now, but Angus has been already labeled as somebody who doesn't really pay attention much. I have nothing pro or against them, I just equated it to a 7year itch tyoe of thing, a bump in the relationship they have to figure out, its been tested and its up to them to pass it.

On Marten/Claire I didn't mean exactly that they rushed into a relationship in that sense. Tai and Dora had known each other for longer, but not as close friends, more like friend of a friend, and even tho a lot of time had passed since knowing each other, it still didn't mean they knew each other a lot or in depth. I was merely pointing out that Claire and Marten did seem to bond in a rather fast pace, they also have not know each other that long, and the "special" occasions where their relationship deepened were not that long after she started being an intern, and it was a weekend or a day or two each occasion so while they may feel comfortable around each other, I don't see them knowing each other in depth either. I also didn't say its strictly a bad thing, just that they needed to work on getting to know each other better. Whether it is a positive thing or not is up to Jeph :)

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Faye thinks there were sexy times last night. Marten may not escape on pancakes alone.

Fair enough, but the fact that Angus is out of town for work (or at least was mentioned he worked out of town often) means out of those 6 months they didn't spend all of it together, and when they did get together, seemed maybe not a strictly physical relationship by any means but I can see a lot of their efforts spent making up that time apart. Faye may be more open about her issues now, but Angus has been already labeled as somebody who doesn't really pay attention much. I have nothing pro or against them, I just equated it to a 7year itch tyoe of thing, a bump in the relationship they have to figure out, its been tested and its up to them to pass it.

On Marten/Claire I didn't mean exactly that they rushed into a relationship in that sense. Tai and Dora had known each other for longer, but not as close friends, more like friend of a friend, and even tho a lot of time had passed since knowing each other, it still didn't mean they knew each other a lot or in depth. I was merely pointing out that Claire and Marten did seem to bond in a rather fast pace, they also have not know each other that long, and the "special" occasions where their relationship deepened were not that long after she started being an intern, and it was a weekend or a day or two each occasion so while they may feel comfortable around each other, I don't see them knowing each other in depth either. I also didn't say its strictly a bad thing, just that they needed to work on getting to know each other better. Whether it is a positive thing or not is up to Jeph :)

I don't have a particular comment on how much time Faye and Angus spent together. There's no way to know.

Marten and Claire work together, and it is summer. Tai is a chill boss and the library isn't super busy. I think Marten and Claire have had time enough to "see where this leads." It's not like they are picking out wedding invitations, just yet.

Edit: to be clear, I mean we've seen that library employees talk about life, and we haven't seen every conversation between Claire and Marten. I suspect they have less to learn about each other than Tai and Dora did.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I don't think either of them are very far in the right, but I think it's worth noting that dropping even a positive bombshell on someone in public isn't very cool to do.

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

To be honest, I'm just excited to see what happens next, opinions and speculations only go so far when we don't know what's on Jeph's mind :P

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

To be honest, I'm just excited to see what happens next, opinions and speculations only go so far when we don't know what's on Jeph's mind :P

Speculation is what these WCDTs are for.

Except some speculations.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

The new comic makes things much easier to understand.  Faye pretty clearly is, as I expected, is the dumper, and (despite feeling like a shit for it) is probably feeling a lot better right now than Angus, who was just blindsided by the woman he loved. 

She really needs to do the mature thing and actually have a conversation with Angus for closure - actually letting him know how she really feels.  But I'm honestly not getting a vibe of deep depression off of her in this comic at all.  I mean, she's pensive, but if she felt like her mental walls were crashing in, she'd be too self-absorbed to ask Marty about his day. 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Speculate, not ship-ulate.  :angel:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

So then would this be the breakup song?

Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

grouchygizmo

• Plantmonster

I don't know... it may be that Marten doesn't want to rub Faye's face in his new relationship, but I just... I have a bad feeling... I would have said more than just "I had pancakes."

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

She really needs to do the mature thing and actually have a conversation with Angus for closure - actually letting him know how she really feels.  But I'm honestly not getting a vibe of deep depression off of her in this comic at all.  I mean, she's pensive, but if she felt like her mental walls were crashing in, she'd be too self-absorbed to ask Marty about his day.

This. Adults should always be able to talk things out. I hope they both get some closure of some kind. If not good terms at least civil

Speculation is what these WCDTs are for

Of course! it is fun and illuminating to speculate and have somebody point something new one may not have considered before, if I didn't like speculating and having conversations I wouldn't have joined. I meant that even thru the speculation and all, bottom line, I'm just excited either way because after all is said and done, its an engaging story and like a good story, you want to know what happens next officially regardless of the what-ifs and what we may discuss.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Speculate, not ship-ulate.  :angel:

I was thinking other subjects, but that too. (Not a complaint. I'm not particularly into shipping. The containers are actually pretty toxic.)

Looks like Angus is going the way of Padma.

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish

The new comic makes things much easier to understand.  Faye pretty clearly is, as I expected, is the dumper, and (despite feeling like a shit for it) is probably feeling a lot better right now than Angus, who was just blindsided by the woman he loved. 

Completely agree. Hats off to you and to the people who correctly analyzed that Faye realized that she was not in love with Angus. I agree that they should have a talk to just set things on a good note as Angus departs for his new life. They needn't be enemies just because things didn't work out. They both learned things from each other that hopefully they will take into relationships in the future. Hopefully Faye understands now that she can't smother her feelings, she has to be honest always, or risk inadvertently blindsiding and hurting someone she cared about.

Also, I kinda agree with GrouchyGizmo. That's the one thing that I don't like about Marten. He subjugates his feelings too much thinking that he's sparing someone awkwardness or pain and then when he lets them out, it comes out rather mealymouthed. He did this with the Delilah stuff when Tai asked about it, he did this with the huge guy at Secret Bakery who had a thing for Padma, and he's doing it again here. As far as Faye knows, he and Claire banged last night. If she's asking, she is probably hoping to hear that things got off on a good foot with them. And Marten's hiding, thinking it's for her "own good."

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

I don't know... it may be that Marten doesn't want to rub Faye's face in his new relationship, but I just... I have a bad feeling... I would have said more than just "I had pancakes."

I'm not worried - have a look at how he walked into CoD in the previous strip.  Dude is walking on air, and 'I had pancakes' is him trying not to float away on her when she's down.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Kairi

• Not quite a lurker

Oh no, I'm another new person! Hello.  :-)

I've been reading along for years; my new-reader-archive-binge was... at least five years ago? Honestly, I forget. Been on-and-off lurking the forums the whole time. Finally registered during the Martenclaire squee festival because I felt I would have some important things to say, and then everyone said them. So: first post. What finally prompted me to post a little something in words:

I laughed out loud at the "I had pancakes" line. Just, thank you Jeph. There's been a lot of good writing, a lot of squee, a lot of good drama, and a lot of good humor, but BAM the pancakes line still has me giggling on the inside. Lots of buildup to that punchline and it was good.

Something left over from when I was building up what I wanted to say when I first registered a few weeks ago: I am so glad puns are IN again, and not punishable. Thank you to all forum members who pun it up. You make me smile.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I'm not worried - have a look at how he walked into CoD in the previous strip.  Dude is walking on air, and 'I had pancakes' is him trying not to float away on her when she's down.

Exactly--he's done it (or tried to) before.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up