THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now act three...

Tropical Storm Martenclaire meets Northern Hurricane Faye for disastrous results
- 32 (26.2%)
The Svenectomy begins
- 16 (13.1%)
Tai razzes Marten and Claire till they're both as red as Claire's hair
- 16 (13.1%)
Steve Eating Cereal: The Legend Continues
- 8 (6.6%)
Clinton finally finds out that big sister has a boyfriend
- 41 (33.6%)
5 straight days of yelling bird cloaca jokes
- 9 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2816-2820 (20-24 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 111009 times)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

It wasn't even an issue of giving up autonomy here. It was a matter of Angus' dream career vs Faye's emotional state being at complete odds to one another. If Angus got the job, there was no happy ending to be had. Everyone from Angus and Faye on knew this. That's why it's been such an issue. Angus giving up on a golden opportunity just wasn't going to happen. It wouldn't be fair to him and it would damage his and Faye's relationship. Faye is not in a position where she can move, emotionally. They were both putting on a happy face and coasting, hoping things would work out... But when it came to crunch time, it couldn't. Their lives are going in separate ways. Obviously there was feeling and love there between them, or this wouldn't hurt.  But that's the way life is sometimes. In truth, love or comfort with someone isn't always enough. Not when everything else in your life is pulling in opposite directions.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Maybe Faye deserves some blame for trying to let the conversation end on a positive note, but that's a really weak nail to be hanging the blame for the breakup solely on her.

I agree that there's shared responsibility here. As to pinning "blame" on Faye there are stronger nails to be found .

Jumping past that (I think we all should) I see Faye here as having tested herself and not been happy with the result. She obviously *wanted* to be ok with Angus's New Thing, but she's not ready to (one or more of these):
a) live without that kind of immediately present boyfriend support
b) be able to trust him while in a LDR
c) put aside the linkage see sees between Angus and her dad
d) etc

But for me here's the important (and beautiful) part: Even if one wants to classify it as failure for Faye... it's still *progress*. Not only that, the outcome is far from certain. There are lots of passive-aggressive (conflict avoiding?) ways Angus could try to stretch this out in an effort to either spare her feelings or as a sincere though misguided attempt to "keep things together". They might even work!

« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2014, 13:55 by FunkyTuba »

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

If people are 'faking it', then I would only agree insomuch as they're trying to retain the relationship they had before all of this even though they know it's changed irrevocably.

If, on the other hand, someone is saying Faye was faking it period, as in did not love Angus in a real way, or at all, I completely disagree, and vice versa for Angus. The idea that this wasn't a real relationship because they couldn't figure out how to make it work is ignoring the sheer difficulty of making it work in this instance. Neither of them are willing to give up their autonomy and completely subsume themselves in the others life, and that's basically what would have to happen. If you consider that's fair to ask of one of them, I think there's so much of a gulf between us regarding relationships there is no conversation to be had.

Not faking it, period, so much as going into something she may not have been ready for or sure of. I think most relationships start that way to some degree; it's not like the movies, where we fall in love with someone at first sight all the time. It's more a matter of saying, "Well, this person may or may not be 'the one,' but let's see where this goes in the meantime, shall we?" I got the impression that she wasn't quite ready for Angus's "I love you" when he boarded the train, and may have felt, "Well, this is something, and feels like something. We'll call it love in the meantime and see if it develops into that." Someone gives you the seeds of something, and it's up to you to give them enough water and sunlight -- figuratively speaking -- to grow into something (or to allow you to grow into it). I'm not saying this to be pro-Angus, anti-Faye, or vice versa... I just think that sometimes people at different points in their lives try to make things work and fail, not because it's someone's fault but because they're at, or coming from, very different places.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

So regarding the whole Blame Angus vs. Blame Faye thing, I really don't have any strong opinions on the matter. But I thought it would be interesting to go back and re-read the strips where all of this was forming:

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2450 through http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2452

I think this is the primary series of strips, not even all that long, that establishes what just happened as a very real possibility.

I put it to to you that this was foreshadowed as far back as:

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2039

We all got distracted by the "I love you" thing, but this strip highlighted the fundamental difference between them that now apparently can't be reconciled.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

@ Tova,

Basically, the whole thought of going to, let alone living in New York scared Faye beyond words. Scared her enough that she made a semi-plausible excuse and then crawled into a bottle to avoid confronting the fact that her feelings for Angus weren't as strong as she thought they were.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Yep exactly!

And I take it back: we really need to go way back here to their first (?) date:

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1734

Goals and ambition are a major theme of this comic.

Hindsight is a fine thing!
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

@ Tova,

Basically, the whole thought of going to, let alone living in New York scared Faye beyond words. Scared her enough that she made a semi-plausible excuse and then crawled into a bottle to avoid confronting the fact that her feelings for Angus weren't as strong as she thought they were.

No. Faye got upset because of the I love you. She's not afraid of New York. She just doesn't like it.

Angus even got her past the overall dislike. Where was Faye during the wedding? She really did skip that first trip because it would have been a hassle for a place she just wasn't keen on visiting. The fact that she didn't complain about the trip she did take suggests she didn't have an issue with NYC. She just confirmed that she doesn't want to live there.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

NYC with access to Angus's contacts would be a good place to attempt an art career.

Of course, Faye doesn't like change.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

NYC with access to Angus's contacts would be a good place to attempt an art career.

Of course, Faye doesn't like change.

Which is why I tend to agree with Ben that there's a strong element of fear there. I don't doubt that she doesn't like NYC (in other words, I don't think that's necessarily an excuse or a cover for something else). I just don't think that's the main issue. Remember Faye's feelings when she was afraid Marten might decamp for Cali when Padma was moving back; the prospect scared the shit out of her. Moving to NYC would mean much the same thing. It's one thing for Angus to move; this is what he's always wanted and worked toward. For Faye, it represents leaving behind her best friends and pretty much her entire support system for uncertain prospects, and an uncertain future with someone she seems to have lukewarm feelings for.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

If people are 'faking it', then I would only agree insomuch as they're trying to retain the relationship they had before all of this even though they know it's changed irrevocably.

If, on the other hand, someone is saying Faye was faking it period, as in did not love Angus in a real way, or at all, I completely disagree, and vice versa for Angus. The idea that this wasn't a real relationship because they couldn't figure out how to make it work is ignoring the sheer difficulty of making it work in this instance. Neither of them are willing to give up their autonomy and completely subsume themselves in the others life, and that's basically what would have to happen. If you consider that's fair to ask of one of them, I think there's so much of a gulf between us regarding relationships there is no conversation to be had.

Not faking it, period, so much as going into something she may not have been ready for or sure of.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said "faking it" in my post. For lack of a better term.

On "change": She has mentioned that she doesn't like change indeed. I don't like change either, and I do know that change can become a pretty down moment of your life. She might fear suddenly becoming the nervous wreck she was when her father *insert a euphemism here because I can only think of extremely harsh words*. And I do believe that neither she, nor Angus, nor anyone else in the QCverse that we know, nor me, nor many people in the forums, wants that.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Warning - while you were typing ReindeerFlotilla made this seem like a twilight saga argument

That was the joke. (:

I'm just a dude on the internet, asking, "Why so Ƨerious?"
That's slightly below being a dude on a radio satellite asking "Why so Sirius?"
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Warning - while you were typing ReindeerFlotilla made this seem like a twilight saga argument

That was the joke. (:

With a pun that bad it should be 'why so Claire-ious?'  :claireface:
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

The puns around here, they're handed around with extreme lack of Claire.

:clairedoge:

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

I disagree. Faye is as passionate about her art as Marten is about his music.

Which is to say, not very.

It could be fear of failure, or fear of trying. That's possible. But there's not enough evidence to suggest that to be the case.

Her fear of abandonment probably played into her lack of happy for Angus. Of course, it is just as likely that she hadn't quite reached "in love" with him, as has been suggested.

After all, fear of NYC, fear of success, etc doesn't explain why a LDR was instantly ruled out at the moment of crisis. Fear of abandonment or lack of strong love does.

Admittedly, such things are irrational, by nature. But the rationale of emotion tends to be internally consistent.

Faye was afraid Angus would get the job. Yet she had no logical objection--or any emotional objection--to a LDR. She didn't just reassure Angus. She told Dora the same thing. She believed it made sense.

Except for some small part of her that knew the truth. Some time before the first audition, that small part decided that moving wasn't an option and the same to LDR.

For what reason? That's not completely clear. But whatever the reason, she knew, unconsciously, that it was over if Angus got the part. That might even explain why she handles it so poorly. If she had the epiphany, "I have known for weeks that this is what would happen. I just didn't admit it to myself," she probably would have found it just a bit difficult to have a straight talk with Angus.

Of course, that's also speculative. But not to the same degree as saying she fears New York. I dunno. Maybe I am projecting. I have a similar feeling about LA. I wouldn't move there except as a last ditch survival effort. But I am not afraid of it. I just don't like it. Everything Faye's done is in line with "don't like." I hesitate to extend that to mean fear, absent more evidence.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

That was the joke. (:

But no worse than being Harry Potter asking, "why so, Sirius?"

snarkyone

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Who knew the grail wasn't dishwasher safe?

That was the joke. (:

What about the weatherman asking "why so, cirrus?"
"No one cares how much you know, till they know how much you care.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

That was the joke. (:

About the same as asking your iPhone, "Why so, Siri? Us?"

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

That was the joke. (:

Or while watching "Two and a Half Men." Why so, series?

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

All this punning must come from minds that are delirious.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

all this punning must be coming from a minds that are delirious
That was the joke. (:

Are you drawing a blank, valkygrrl?

snarkyone

• Who knew the grail wasn't dishwasher safe?

all this punning must be coming from a minds that are delirious
That was the joke. (:

Martin Blank?

"No one cares how much you know, till they know how much you care.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Don't know why it didn't show. Trimming the quotes made it work.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

An observation: Each time a couple comes to the point where the words "I love you" are uttered by one or both of the individuals involved, the relationship ends within a few hundred strips.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

It's F5 time, F5 time, happy happy bandwidth bandwidth...
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

It's F5 time, F5 time, happy happy bandwidth bandwidth...

He's out playing D&D tonight, it'll probably be later.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

An observation: Each time a couple comes to the point where the words "I love you" are uttered by one or both of the individuals involved, the relationship ends within a few hundred strips.

Love is the way to destruction. Make your time.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

Just like real life.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

That was the joke. (:

Is it not October, the month of the World Series (U.S.)?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

That was the joke. (:

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

That was the joke. (:

Oh, Gods above, what have I done?
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Origamigryphon

• Not quite a lurker

Aww, Hanners <3
You're only young once, but you can be immature FOREVER

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

D'awww. (And the next week is strip after strip of each of Faye's other friends and acquaintances dropping by one by one to offer similar sentiments until only one remains...)
Mistakes, ahoy!

NemoX

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lonely nobody

Reassuring Hanners is reassuring <3

Interesting how Faye was already defensive and expecting flak from her on the first panel and then it was turned around on her. Makes me feel all fuzzy that she is being reminded she has friends and doesn't have to be tough and deal with this on her own :)
"Wit is educated insolence" - Aristotle

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

^^ Best comedy of all time. you can keep your Judd Apatow crap

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Reassuring Hanners is reassuring <3

Interesting how Faye was already defensive and expecting flak from her on the first panel and then it was turned around on her. Makes me feel all fuzzy that she is being reminded she has friends and doesn't have to be tough and deal with this on her own :)

And this is why I love Hannelore.

I don't think Faye was expecting flak. It might've been more that "Oh, crap" feeling you get when you go through something harsh and everybody wants you to rehash all the lurid details when all you'd like to do is find somewhere dark and warm in which to hide 'til you're ready to deal with people again.

Yes, I'm projecting a bit. But I just got the feeling it's something she doesn't want to rehash ad nauseam.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Oh, Gods above, what have I done?

Let this be a lesson to you.

For serious.

Also.

Everybody needs a Hannelore.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I don't get it.  Don't Hannelore and Faye have the same therapist?  Or did Faye stop going or something?

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

They did. It's unknown if they still do. Ellicott-Chatham money could pay for ALL the therapists, after all.  More likely, Hanners is just used to referring to her as "My therapist." Habit makes people say strange things sometimes.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

Thank you Hanners for being a good friend, and for that image of bleeding fingers that will stay with me all night
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

Nyithra

Go Hanners!

I'm glad Faye was smiling in that last panel.
Follow your heart, but when your heart starts to shit all over your life, follow your brain.

BenRG

• coprophage

I've noticed that, of late, whenever Hannelore appears, I want to hug her! She's just going through an adorable/vulnerable phase that pushes my buttons!

I see that she ultimately shares my concerns that Faye may crawl into a bottle or do something self-destructive in response to the crisis. It's always easier to deal with stuff when you have friends; maybe, if nothing else, this will remind Faye just how many good friends she has nowadays.

P.S.: Jeph is getting better and better with facial expressions.
~~~~

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

Remember when [ Hanners ] would feature over a handful of strips, actually having sustained conversations with people? That'd be closer to the spotlight (or would at least suggest that she's part of the main cast). This is filler.

Two and counting...  :-)
Back in her role as everybody's fairy godmother.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

If it wasn't for the fact that Hanners doesn't like being hugged (outside of immediate family, and friends (under socially acceptable circumstances)), you would just want to give her a hug for giving what amounts to be the nicest bit of advice anyone could give someone.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

I've noticed that, of late, whenever Hannelore appears, I want to hug her! She's just going through an adorable/vulnerable phase that pushes my buttons!

I miss the days when she was a real person rather than a gag :x
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Faye is lucky to have Hannelore as a friend.

Hopefully she won't have to explode on Faye again.

BenRG

• coprophage

Prediction for Next Week:
    The wrap-up of Faye and Angus's travails:

• They apologise to each other;
    • Angus warns Faye that, one way or another, he won't be coming back to Northampton, so this is the last chance for them;
    • Faye smiles bitterly and bids him farewell and good luck; the two hug before Faye leaves;
    • The last strip is Angus putting himself on the bus (literally) as Faye waves farewell to him;
    • For some reason, I can see Faye asking Hannelore to hold her hand; Hannelore's comments will be the comic relief.

My hope is that Faye and Angus salvage their friendship and, in a future strip, Faye mentions having spoken to him by 'phone or having emailed him (after threatening Pintsize with dismemberment if he ever 'forgot' his confidentiality protocols).
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2014, 07:05 by BenRG »
~~~~

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

The wrap-up of Claire and Angus's travails:

Do you mean Faye and Angus's travails?
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

BenRG

• coprophage

Whoops! You're right! To the editing window with me!
~~~~

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

He can be forgiven for having Claire on the brain; it's been twelve strips since we last saw her.

You mean you don't keep count?
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Claire moves to NY with Angus, that way we have maximum sadness.

He also accidentally packs Momo and though he promises to send her back, keeps putting it off.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up