RIFTS
- 0 (0%)
Other Palladium
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any tabletop gamers around?  (Read 15310 times)

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
Re: Any tabletop gamers around?
« Reply #50 on: 21 Nov 2014, 08:02 »

Online groups aren't as fun.  You can't pull tricks like passing a note to the DM that says "just scribble something on a piece of paper, roll a few dice, and pass the paper to me".  It's a lot of fun for inducing group paranoia.  Of course, at least the DM can still say roll a $whatever check/save out of nowhere to freak the players out.

Oh yeah, I would much rather prefer a live group to game with but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of RPG activity in my area.  Quite a few 40kers and cardboard crack addicts though.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #51 on: 21 Nov 2014, 08:25 »

Online groups aren't as fun.  You can't pull tricks like passing a note to the DM that says "just scribble something on a piece of paper, roll a few dice, and pass the paper to me".  It's a lot of fun for inducing group paranoia.  Of course, at least the DM can still say roll a $whatever check/save out of nowhere to freak the players out.

I have totally managed that in Roll20.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #52 on: 24 Nov 2014, 15:32 »

Which?  The former, or the latter?  Messing with players and GMs (no relation to you) is always fun.  It's especially fun to run their plots off the rails because of being able to pull stuff out of your arse that they hadn't anticipated (like when the enemy uses "Mirror Image", and saying "Well, I close my eyes, and use my blind-fighting, since I'll still be able to hit the squishy").
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #53 on: 27 Nov 2014, 18:03 »

using MechWarrior 2nd edition and Battletech rules, I've written several adventures, then GM'd the event.

after "The Von Neumann hornet's nest" adventure, my group unilaterally ruled that I can't GM anymore.  :(

it isn't my fault that they arrived with a battalion and left with an understrength company.

I frakk'n told them to look up 'Von Neumann Machines' and 'Bezerkers'...
it ain't my fault their SciFi literature skills sux.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #54 on: 29 Nov 2014, 01:23 »

In our last game I had to defeat the big bad almost alone since my comrade managed to get himself dominated (Big Bad was a vampire). I managed to kill him with one single hp remaining after losing two temporary levels to the vampire's life drain and just barely making the saving throw agaimst my comrade's mightiest spell, which would have blasted me to pjeces. Talk about an intense fight.
Oh, and of course then I had to make it to the next city within 24 hours to get the life drain effect removed before it became permanent.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #55 on: 29 Nov 2014, 03:13 »

Been in some of those, and had to pull stuff out of my arse in order to win.  I will say, that it *is* fun to get one over the GM.  Congrats on the good work there.  Vampires (no pun intended) suck to fight.

Edit:  I did have one character who dated an evil vampire warlord.  When the party confronted her with that fact, she pointed out that "You people call yourselves 'good', yet when you're not treating me like shit, you're treating me like a walking tac-nuke, or tac-blender.  Every tactical solution that I have thought of was correct, yet you never try it unless it's the last resort, and you don't like my singing, despite the fact that I have a flawless voice (and she actually did).  He may be some evil undead thing, but at least he treats me with some fucking respect.  Well, that, and he's a good lay, and has given me access to libraries containing more magic than you can even think of.  Actually, I'm thinking of joining *his* side, because you're a bunch of idiotic hypocrites".

Aah, first-ed rules, where a 25 comeliness could be so abused.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2014, 19:00 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #56 on: 29 Nov 2014, 14:14 »

Occasionally, I'll poke around rpg.se. Does that count?

Quote from: Miniman, RPG.se
I recently DM-ed a session where my players fought a group of yuan-ti. I kept casting Suggestion, and the players who it worked on had a ball pushing the limits of the orders they were given, seeing how they could work within the words used, and just generally playing the game to enjoy themselves. When ordered to attack his own party, one player immediately attacked himself until he was unconscious, since he was the closest member of his party.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #57 on: 12 Dec 2014, 00:31 »

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #58 on: 12 Dec 2014, 01:34 »

I'm waiting for the release of Fragged Empire. I contributed to the Kickstarter campaign. Its a really cool setting and an interesting rule set.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wadedyer/fragged-empire-tabletop-rpg
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #59 on: 12 Dec 2014, 02:17 »

Welp, that's it for my sorcerer. It was supposed to be an easy fight but some incredible bad luck in dice rolls (including an ego whip for maximum damage which reduced me to only be able to cast 0 and 1st level spells) turned that right around. I couldn't use my fireball, which would have reduced every single one of the spear wielding gimps that accompanied the Psion to a pile of ashes and thus was hit by a max damage spear hit.
Left with only a few HP I managed to take two of the spear gimps out before taking another almost max damage spell by the Psion that pushed me well below -10 HP. At least my next character is already made and ready for action.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #60 on: 12 Dec 2014, 02:36 »

I never understood why it was always "-10".  One of the house rules most of my gaming groups used was "-Con".  Granted, it meant that the dwarves would last longer than anyone else, but they tended to be combat classes anyhow, whilst the mages generally tended to go "squish" earlier.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #61 on: 12 Dec 2014, 02:41 »

Well, -10 is what the rules say, so we go by that. In this case it wouldn't have made a difference, I dropped to -20 or so.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #62 on: 12 Dec 2014, 03:02 »

Aah, I had several GMs who used the -Con rule, because it did respect that some people have more endurance than others.  Why, should the under-weight elven fighter/necromancer have the same ability to survive as the beefy dwarf fighter/priest.  Then again, this was a campaign that lasted over a decade and had a list of GM rulings that approached British Common Law on complexity of precedents.  Our resident "rules lawyers" (myself included) usually kept them in a folder for future reference.  We sometimes had rules arguments that lasted longer than combat.

Edit:
I briefly played a cavalier/paladin just to prove a point that some classes were just over-powered under first-ed rules.  Dude got a fly spell cast on him, and realised the pit-fiend was immune to his sword, so I told the GM "I grab his wings, and hang-on all the way down".  A 7th level character shouldn't be able to take on that kind of monster, but *did*, and was at -14 (in first-ed, cavaliers were able to function at negative hp equal to what they had at first level).  So I stood up, used "lay on hands" on myself, and walked away.  The more splat books an edition has, the more mess happens.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2014, 04:36 by hedgie »

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #63 on: 22 Dec 2014, 10:58 »

I've been into roleplaying games for more than 28 years. An older cousin of mine introduced me to them with The Dark Eye, a cult classic game that curiously came from the Land of Board Games (aka Germany). I was 11.

From then on, I started dabbling in creating makeshift RPGs to play with my few close friends, then in Senior High (I hope I get the equivalence right) I tried joining the school's RPG club (it was called ADT, for Advanced Delirium Tremens), but I never really got along: my general awkwardness and social cluelessness was at play. But, parallelly, I played a nice campaign of Rolemaster with classmates I got along better with. And I've been given Paranoia as a Christmas present, so I mastered it with the same classmates.

Paranoia is a fine game to learn how to master games, if you tend to be too kind to your players: it teaches you that you can be unkind (and even unfair) in interesting (i.e. funny) ways.

But it's after high school that I really got into it, when I joined a club of crazy passionate RPG players. We would play every Saturday from 2 pm to 6 pm for a first game, then after a pause from 8 pm to midnight, and then from midnight to 4 am. After which, many of us would migrate to an early bar for some coffee, hot chocolate, viennoiseries, and would improvise more games in the bar, sometimes until late in the Sunday afternoon. Fun times. I still see a few of the players from those times with various regularities. One of them texted me this very afternoon so we can hang out (I named it elsewhere on this forum as my friend Nao).

I'd be hard-pressed to list exhaustively all of the games I've played during that period, but there were the original Star Wars RPG (with the system that has since been called D6 Legend), the original Star Trek RPG (epic campaigns with my Caitian starship pilot: I played her fickly arrogant and sweet at the same time), various settings of the Old World of Darkness (mostly Vampire: The Masquerade and sometimes Werewolf: The Apocalypse, but Nao made some bitchin' Wraith: The Oblivion campaigns, and later on I mastered Changeling: The Dreaming, and I'm still fond of it), Shadowrun of course, Call of Cthulhu, Warhammer, and some others you probably never heard of, like Thoan, Shaan, and...

In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas, the original French game Steve Jackson Games' In Nomine is based on. By what I read, In Nomine tends to takes itself waaay too seriously compared to INS/MV. In the latter, I've always tended to play angels if given the choice. I simply find the petty rivalries among demons less interesting than the philosophical conflicts between angels about what is Goodness. I mean, there's an Archangel of Inquisition, for example. He doesn't get along very well with some other, more gentle and forgiving, archangels.

I could go on more, but that'll be for later, I'm tired.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2014, 11:39 by Schmorgluck »
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #64 on: 10 Jan 2015, 03:13 »

Got to try out my new character after Christmas break. Holy Crap this is fun. Duskblade may be my new favourite class.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #65 on: 18 Jan 2015, 16:48 »

So, one of the guys is gonna run a 5th edition game for us.  Having perused the rules, it seems like a solid system.  Streamlined, simplified, but not so simplified that it's like 4th, where all fighters are basically the same.  I rolled up a warlock with the Noble background, and I'm playing him as the third son of a noble house, who intends to use adventuring as a way to test, practice, and perfect his dark magics so that he can one day return home and seize control of the family from his older brothers, one of whom is a proven military commander (Stannis Baratheon style).  The other brother is a trader in secrets, and has amassed a spy network that allows him to generate massive amounts of wealth by outwitting rivals in both business and the politics of the noble houses.  So there's my character, the black sheep, outcast for his unhealthy and borderline blasphemous interests, intent on nurturing his powers until he can return home at the head of an army of cult followers and madmen, seizing power in a single stroke, one night of blood, fire, and terror to pave the way to the power and respect he desires. 

And so, the Outcast Son shall rise, and the noble houses shall know fear.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #66 on: 22 Jan 2015, 16:28 »

Does anyone out there have experience of playing with the Fate system? Someone I know was talking to me about running such a game, so I downloaded and read the Fate Core book. The examples given seem to be full of a lot of rather immersion-breaking negotiation between GM and players. Thoughts?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #67 on: 22 Jan 2015, 17:29 »

Sorry, don't know the system, but it helps if the GM sets up a policy like I've always used when I was under the other side, which was taught to me by some friends:  Never ret-con anything.  Much like FIFA, the call made on the pitch stands.  And leave the rules-lawyering for either before or after game unless absolutely *needed*.  It has worked well for me under various systems, and I'm glad that I was told.  I can look into the system, if you'd like.

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more
« Reply #68 on: 03 Feb 2015, 14:18 »

Does anyone out there have experience of playing with the Fate system? Someone I know was talking to me about running such a game, so I downloaded and read the Fate Core book. The examples given seem to be full of a lot of rather immersion-breaking negotiation between GM and players. Thoughts?

I've known a lot of people who seem to like it because it's rules-light, but like most rules-light systems there's a whole lot of handwaving involved.
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

Vemocleus

• Not quite a lurker
  • NAN
« Reply #69 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:55 »

I'm a relative noob to these things, but every now and then I will play a random game online through Fantasy Grounds II.  Met some good people on there, and fun times to be had.  I've played NWoD, Pathfinder, My Life with Master, some form of Traveller... 1 game each.  I particularly like the NWoD Mage setting, though I have yet to play it.  Still have my eyes open for just such an opportunity...

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #70 on: 11 Feb 2015, 19:15 »

I've just joined a 5th ed. game, set in Eberron. My character is a barbarian, but I somehow managed to roll a 14 for his intelligence, so he also works as a librarian.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #71 on: 11 Feb 2015, 20:42 »

Conan the Librarian?

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
« Reply #73 on: 18 Feb 2015, 12:49 »

In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas, the original French game Steve Jackson Games' In Nomine is based on. By what I read, In Nomine tends to takes itself waaay too seriously compared to INS/MV. In the latter, I've always tended to play angels if given the choice. I simply find the petty rivalries among demons less interesting than the philosophical conflicts between angels about what is Goodness. I mean, there's an Archangel of Inquisition, for example. He doesn't get along very well with some other, more gentle and forgiving, archangels.
While I haven't actually played INS/MV, I've read over the materials, and I don't know that that's necessarily an accurate comparison.  The SJGames version is intended to support multiple styles of play; you can play it as tongue in cheek satire like INS/MV, but you don't have to.  You can also run it as superhero action, a grim and gritty Cold War spy pastiche, or, admittedly, wangst and armchair theology, although I don't personally favor that style.  They also kept a lot of the internecine politics; the Archangel of the Inquisition is called the Archangel of Judgement, but still runs the Heavenly Inquisition and has similar relations with, e.g. the Archangels of Flowers and Creation.
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #74 on: 18 Feb 2015, 20:07 »

I've just joined a 5th ed. game, set in Eberron. My character is a barbarian, but I somehow managed to roll a 14 for his intelligence, so he also works as a librarian.

That is hilarious!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
« Reply #75 on: 19 Feb 2015, 20:58 »

Speaking of play styles in In Nomine, the long-running game I've been in recently reconvened after a lengthy hiatus. I like the opportunity to play a very alien being who still has a valid reason to give a shit about humans and what they do.  Specifically, a body-hopping shapeshifter that has no physical needs and is capable of being in more than one place at a time.

I'm currently lying like a rug to some (possibly demonic) police to avoid several of my fellow angels and possibly one of my human allies being arrested on (technically accurate) charges of kidnapping, child endangerment, and a slew of related crimes, using the magically aged body of the aforementioned child to do so, while providing an alibi for another character's absence using a human associate, phoning a distraught friend, and touring Scandinavia with a metal band.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #76 on: 19 Feb 2015, 22:51 »

since I've been doing the online college thing, I find my time for sitting down to GAME has mostly evaporated.

mostly.

I'm hoping I can make an event this Saturday.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #77 on: 01 Apr 2015, 14:11 »

Hi everyone!
I usually play board games rather than RPGs, but I recently found this card-based RPG on Kickstarter that sounds really cool and that I really want to try!
(Does anybody here have any experience with card-based RPGs?)
This one is called 'Neon Sanctum' and plays in a world that, people tell me, is a bit like a mixture of Shadowrun and Numenora (I haven't actually played any of those) -- it's post-apocalyptic with lots of old technology still around. The current society is controlled by mega-corporations that vie over the control of that technology.
You make your character by choosing skill, item and 'body modification' (for want of better word) cards that help you with skill checks and in combat. If your character is injured, they (temporarily) lose cards. The system looks very easy to learn, yet complex enough for lots of variation.

Now, I don't know if this is allowed -- moderators please tell me if not -- but I'd like to invite people here who are interested in board games or RPGs to check this out! It is very reasonably priced and shipping to the US and UK is free. I'll put the link here, if anybody wants to have a look.
I am not affiliated with the designers, I just think it's a very, very cool idea that deserves to be funded!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1233586901/neon-sanctum

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #78 on: 10 Apr 2015, 04:59 »

I will be switching places with our current DM because he won't have time to prepare adventures for the forseeable future. Gonna run a horror campaign. Has anybody had any experience with the taint system of D&D 3.5? I'm thinking of using it, although probably in a modified version, and would like to hear some opinions about it.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #79 on: 26 Mar 2017, 16:06 »

Has anyone here heard of Dusk City Outlaws? I picked up the PDF tier of the Kickstarter (now finished), had a look through the rules, and pitched it to a friend who I thought might be interested - he was on it like a dog with a bone (I've just got back from visiting him, where two nights running we were up until the wee hours discussing when we could get a game startes. When I told him I was home, he told me that he'd been watching preview sessions of the game on YouTube). We were up until some time in the wee hours talking about the game and who we could get in on it.

My only concern is that he's about four hours away from me, as are a fair few other people that I might be playing with. It doesn't require maps or minis, but it does require dice that they don't have, and they also don't currently have a copy of the rules (I showed them the PDFs while I was visiting). Has anyone here had any experience running a game over Skype or similar, with new players and with a GM that's never GM'd before?

Full disclosure: while this really is a question that I have, I've also partly posted this because there's an offer of a free scenario for posting about the game. I'll happily take this down if it's out of line.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #80 on: 26 Mar 2017, 17:16 »

Haven't heard of it, but it does look interesting.  Been curious as to gaming over skype as well, since I don't drive and the only gaming group I could realistically get would require a lot of work to physically.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up