THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help building a web server  (Read 4800 times)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
Need help building a web server
« on: 21 Oct 2014, 04:40 »

A friend of mine asked me to help her build and run a web server and online directory as a replacement for her old system. I told her I'd look into it and if it's easy enough, I'd do it for her.

As it's a web server for a student council, they want that server to host both their website and act as an online directory they can store stuff on.

What do I need? How do I install it? Is it easy enough that a complete amateur (albeit one with computer skills) can do it even though he's never done it before?

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
Re: Need help building a web server
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2014, 04:49 »

Even though I don't like those all-in-one solutions, probably the keyword to search for is LAMPP/XAMPP. It stands for Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl, PHP. Which is pretty much what you want. Then you might look into Owncloud.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2014, 04:52 »

Depending on what kind of hosting you aim for, you might find the preconfigured installs and virtual machines at Bitnami interesting.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2014, 07:09 »

Even though I don't like those all-in-one solutions, probably the keyword to search for is LAMPP/XAMPP. It stands for Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl, PHP. Which is pretty much what you want. Then you might look into Owncloud.
Speaking from experience XAMPP is a pretty good point to start from. Didn't take long to set it up and it was fairly easy to install everything we wanted to do with it, which in our case was an FTP-Server including a custom built web-interface and several game servers. It's definitly worth looking into.
Pages: [1]   Go Up