THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spotlight in Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite)  (Read 4369 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Spotlight in Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite)
« on: 21 Oct 2014, 07:56 »

Just for people's info, 10.10 now by default searches the Internet for anything you type into the Spotlight box, where it only used to search local files, emails, … so any search terms, location and user info get sent to Microsoft Bing unless you disable the option.

Obviously indexes and local search results aren’t sent so the risk of information leaking is very, very small, but it is still potentially possible for the typed search term to contain sensitive information – especially if you expect it only to search local files as it did in previous versions.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: Spotlight in Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite)
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2014, 01:40 »

I haven't upgraded from 10.9.5 (Mavericks) yet, but thanks for drawing this to our attention.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: Spotlight in Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite)
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2014, 12:51 »

Just remember, LittleSnitch is your friend.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut
Pages: [1]   Go Up