THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems arising from change of forum to HTTPS  (Read 9968 times)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
Problems arising from change of forum to HTTPS
« on: 22 Oct 2014, 11:34 »

I can no longer connect to this forum with anything but my phone's browser. Neither of my work computers, nor my home laptop work. Neither does Tapatalk. I am confused and annoyed.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: Problems arising from change of forum to HTTPS
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2014, 11:48 »

Try looking at the website issues or IT support, and security threads.  There were a *lot* of issues with some security stuff, and it's caused problems for a number of people on various platforms.  I can't use the fora anymore on Opera on Linux, but the latest version of Firefox works fine, and just gives me an easily ignored warning.  Haven't tried it on Windows yet, and don't have a Mac handy.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2014, 13:35 »

I can no longer connect to this forum with anything but my phone's browser. Neither of my work computers, nor my home laptop work. Neither does Tapatalk. I am confused and annoyed.

My home pc can't connect either.  Discussing it here:  https://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,30025.0.html

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2014, 14:52 »

I'm on the dev team for an NHS EHR system. Guess what browser version we just managed to get the go-ahead to drop support for (it's a perfect number).
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2014, 15:47 »

The forum address has been changed to start with https:.  This ensures that communications to and from the forum are encrypted - in particular that your login remains secure.

In Tapatalk, remove the forum and then add it again; that will bring in the new address (starting https:) and it will work fine.

Because the forum is now https:, and (coincidentally) at the same time most servers have disabled SSLv3 because of the security breach known as Poodle, some browsers (webkit ones like Chrome and Opera in particular) will no longer open it when running on Windows XP because the more modern TLS is not sufficiently supported there.  This will not change; if you are still running XP, it's time to move on.

You will likely see a warning sign in some browsers indicating that the secure forum pages are referencing insecure data from other sites.  This is mainly because of external avatars - like mine!  I plan to change my avi to an https: link, but maybe not everyone will.

When the forum was changed, restrictions on mixing secure and insecure links also broke the YouTube embedding (now fixed) and SoundCloud embedding (still broken - I have the fix, but there is a problem applying it that I am still working on).  Twitter and Vimeo embedding was not affected.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2014, 15:47 »

I'm on the dev team for an NHS EHR system. Guess what browser version we just managed to get the go-ahead to drop support for (it's a perfect number).
Chrome 28? ::)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2014, 15:58 »

The perfect number below 28 I assume  :evil:

In a similar vein, my University's finance system, written by Oracle and updated to the latest version less than a year ago, requires the use of Java 6.  Who is responsible for Java?  Why, Oracle!  What is the present version?  7, of course, with 8 in the wings!  They are actually continuing to produce updates of Java 6 even though the public can't get them.  The last published build of Java 6 was something like 39, I think; I'm currently on 83!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2014, 16:02 »

Isn't 8 out already? I seem to recall that I've used it and got happy they switched to JavaFX instead of Swing.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2014, 16:30 »

Maybe - I haven't checked.  Using 6, you see...

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2014, 20:28 »

I'm stuck on XP at work until they upgrade all the computers to 7 :(
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2014, 21:27 »

I'm stuck on XP at work until they upgrade all the computers to 7 :(

I feel your pain.  We just upgraded last year after XP support was dropped and we're only allowed to use IE.  Our version of IE we're using is 7.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2014, 21:42 »

Your bosses hate you all.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2014, 02:00 »

I've decided there's more going on with QC and XP, and am continuing to investigate.  The explanations I've given for this specific problem don't stack up.

Update: 

I think this specific issue is actually because the certificate is signed using the more modern SHA-2 rather than the deprecated but still generally used SHA-1; but I still can't find the exact sticking point.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2014, 03:13 by pwhodges »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2014, 04:29 »

Other than XP isn't supported, perhaps?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2014, 04:32 »

Eight has some really nice improvements in syntax, you don't have to jot down an entire inner class anymore, you can just use a lambda expression:
Code: (Old Java) [Select]
printPersons(
    roster,
    new CheckPerson() {
        public boolean test(Person p) {
            return p.getGender() == Person.Sex.MALE
                && p.getAge() >= 18
                && p.getAge() <= 25;
        }
    }
);
Code: (Java 8) [Select]
printPersons(
    roster,
    (Person p) -> p.getGender() == Person.Sex.MALE
        && p.getAge() >= 18
        && p.getAge() <= 25
);

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2014, 05:29 »

Code: [Select]
halfur@fsi-pc1:~$ gnutls-cli -V -p 443 forums.questionablecontent.net
Resolving 'forums.questionablecontent.net'...
Connecting to '2400:cb00:2048:1::681c:1e44:443'...
*** Fatal error: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
*** Received alert [40]: Handshake failed
*** Handshake has failed
GnuTLS error: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
wat.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #16 on: 23 Oct 2014, 05:35 »

Eight has some really nice improvements in syntax, you don't have to jot down an entire inner class anymore, you can just use a lambda expression:
Code: (Old Java) [Select]
printPersons(
    roster,
    new CheckPerson() {
        public boolean test(Person p) {
            return p.getGender() == Person.Sex.MALE
                && p.getAge() >= 18
                && p.getAge() <= 25;
        }
    }
);
Code: (Java 8) [Select]
printPersons(
    roster,
    (Person p) -> p.getGender() == Person.Sex.MALE
        && p.getAge() >= 18
        && p.getAge() <= 25
);
But I liker inner classes...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #17 on: 23 Oct 2014, 05:36 »

Other than XP isn't supported, perhaps?

Not supported by what, though?

XP SP3 supports SHA-2 anyway; Chrome is only giving warnings, not blocking it.  And I'm feeling that ev4n's problems on Windows 7 suggest that there is a different point of failure that I've not yet identified.  This evening I'll try some network tracing on my XP machine at home, and see that gives me any clue just where it's going wrong.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #18 on: 23 Oct 2014, 06:02 »

But I liker inner classes...
blech

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #19 on: 23 Oct 2014, 08:09 »

Meanwhile I've suddenly begun to get a server error (500) when I try to check QC from work :o windows 7, IE and chrome, no details on the actual error ofc
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #20 on: 23 Oct 2014, 08:25 »

It's happened a couple of times when I click on the link, but it's random...?
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2014, 09:03 »

I'm wondering if there's some timing problem caused by extra delays going through CloudFlare.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2014, 09:53 »

I wasn't able to before, but now I can get on here with IE on my work computer. It gives me warnings and is generally very unhappy with me, but it works.

When I try to connect with Chrome, it just says "this webpage is not available". Error code: ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2014, 10:43 »

I'm wondering if there's some timing problem caused by extra delays going through CloudFlare.

I know this caused all manners of problems on the Order of the Stick Forum. I can't recall the specific issue it caused because it never affected me, but if you'd like, I can try to track it down with a search of their board issues forum.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2014, 12:12 »

That would be helpful, if you could!  TIA

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #25 on: 23 Oct 2014, 14:53 »

SoundCloud embedding is now restored to health.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #26 on: 23 Oct 2014, 22:13 »

Here's the thread that with user feedback that seems to have tracked down the problem on the other site. In short, some kind of de-syncing issue with Cloudflare caused failure to maintain logins, specifically to Scandinavia, and the admin (Rawhide) finally had to stop using the service to resolve the problem.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?268622-Help-please!-Login-issue

Doesn't sound like what's going on here, but hopefully it provides an extra clue or 2 to help figure things out.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #27 on: 24 Oct 2014, 03:45 »

In a similar vein, my University's finance system, written by Oracle and updated to the latest version less than a year ago, requires the use of Java 6.  Who is responsible for Java?  Why, Oracle!  What is the present version?  7, of course, with 8 in the wings!  They are actually continuing to produce updates of Java 6 even though the public can't get them.  The last published build of Java 6 was something like 39, I think; I'm currently on 83!

The client I support actually had a machine with an... interesting... problem. I had a user that needed to use something that required Java 6, and I think it was 6u45 that was the latest my client offered in their software repository. However, 6u45 was old enough that it refused to run web-based applets. Now, at the time, the enterprise standard for my client was 7u40, but it wasn't compatible with the applet in question. The solution? Uninstall all Java on the system, install 6u45, install 7u40, and then go into 7u40's control panel and disable it, forcing the use of 6u45. Then, the security checking was 7u40's, not 6u45's, and it wouldn't refuse to run (instead just presenting a warning), but 6u45 actually ran the applet.

I'm not proud.

Also, it's worth noting that the default Java on Mac OS X is 6u65, as of 10.9.5 (I don't update to new OS X minor releases until 10.x.1), but 7u67 is also installed on my machine. Makes for some real fun when trying to use Minecraft mods, because Minecraft defaults to using the default Java, unless you tell it otherwise in the launcher.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #28 on: 24 Oct 2014, 05:44 »

As of Thursday Oct 23 afternoon EDT, I still could not log in from home, in chrome or IE.  Forgot to try mozilla last night.  I will also try other PCs including a mac on the same lan just to check, though.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #29 on: 27 Oct 2014, 05:04 »

Oh man, forgot about this this weekend.  Will continue to gather data, tonight hopefully.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #30 on: 27 Oct 2014, 15:26 »

And Mozilla connects no problem.  Interesting.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #31 on: 27 Oct 2014, 15:33 »

Scratch that.  BitDefender did something and shut that down.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #32 on: 02 Nov 2014, 17:44 »

Pretty sure it's related, but ever since the switch to HTTPS, whenever a thread has a youtube video, my browser freezes for a few seconds. Definitely a resource hog.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #33 on: 01 Dec 2014, 04:54 »

With my antivirus still blocking this site, I'm starting to wonder if I'm being dumb still coming here.  I'm seriously thinking about backing out until whatever is going on technically is resolved.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #34 on: 01 Dec 2014, 05:18 »

Hm. Maybe it's time to do some cache clearing, or maybe try a different browser?
Just another Joe like 46

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #35 on: 01 Dec 2014, 05:20 »

I tend to be paranoid, but I haven't seen anything nasty coming here, either on Win 7 or Linux.  The comic page, OTOH, has had adverts that were trying to do something bad.  Your anti-virus is probably just having false-positives.  The fora, are safe.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #36 on: 01 Dec 2014, 05:29 »

I'm inclined to not trust BitDefender there, there's incidents of them having rather nasty false positives in the past.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #37 on: 01 Dec 2014, 07:10 »

I'm inclined to not trust BitDefender there, there's incidents of them having rather nasty false positives in the past.

No good security system will fail to have false positives.  I would normally expect those to be resolved, though.

Eternal_Newbie

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #38 on: 05 Dec 2014, 10:56 »

Hmm when I view the forums in Seamonkey 2.30 with SSL3 disabled (Win7 SP3) (All TLS versions enabled) I usually but not always get an error popup saying "You have requested a page that is only partially encrypted and does not prevent eavesdropping", or words to that effect.

Edit : also Seamonkey 2.31
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2014, 11:03 by Eternal_Newbie »
"Microsoft Kills Santa Claus" - The Register

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #39 on: 05 Dec 2014, 11:28 »

That will be because remote avatars are allowed, and HTTPS avatars are not supported. So, if you're on a page with such a remote avatar, you'll get such a notice (due to mixed HTTP and HTTPS content).

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #40 on: 05 Jun 2015, 14:17 »

Fair this is still driving me nuts

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #41 on: 25 Aug 2015, 04:17 »

No good security system will fail to have false positives.  I would normally expect those to be resolved, though.

Aaaand 8 months later, they appear to be resolved.

Um, hi!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 25 Aug 2015, 17:39 »

'ello dere!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #43 on: 03 Sep 2015, 09:02 »

Woo! Welcome back, ev4n!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #44 on: 03 Sep 2015, 09:43 »

Did Jeph mention what was up with the server burp the last couple of days?
Just another Joe like 46

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #45 on: 03 Sep 2015, 10:19 »

The taste of partially digested food, that's what.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #46 on: 03 Sep 2015, 10:51 »

Canadan bacon, to be precise.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1]   Go Up