THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Robocraft  (Read 14324 times)

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
Robocraft
« on: 24 Oct 2014, 16:33 »

Free game on steam.  Make a robot all minecraft style with bricks, and fight other robots in team battles.  If you play, I'm Boomomancer. 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: Robocraft
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2014, 17:36 »

I'm NekoAli, of course. Dipping my (robo) toes into tier 8 these days.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2014, 18:01 »

:P I'm still fighting to cram on enough bits to be Tier 7.  I managed to make a walker that kinda looks like a garbage can.

EDIT:  Apparently, the secret to ranking up is shields. 
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2014, 18:56 by Orkboy »

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2014, 00:24 »

I'm running around with a Tier 5 plasma tank. If I stretched, I might be able to jump into Tier 6, but I don't think I have the pFlops.

Apparently, the secret to ranking up is shields. 
I really want to add electroplating to my robot, but it never quite fits properly. Why can't there be just a simple flat plate of the stuff?
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2014, 02:27 »

hmm, I like that set up with the shields and legs, Orkboy. I hadn't even thought of that working, and it seems like a good way to protect them. I'll have to yoink that concept for a future bot.

There is a pretty flat sheet of electroplate in tier 8, but it's big size still makes it kind of awkward to use. There used to be a small rectangle plate at tier 1 I've seen in old pictures, but it's long since been removed.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2014, 03:15 »

I trimmed the fat a bit and made it a bit narrower so I have a little overlap at the edges of the shields.  Ironically, I lose my legs faster than any other part, since everything else is behind eight T6 shields.  I have renamed my bot Lt. Dan. 

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2014, 04:09 »

Thanks for the spit take, Orkboy :P

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2014, 11:33 »

Thank god, someone got it.  I was ready to feel old. 

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2014, 14:48 »

You people are evil. I want a life away from the screen!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2014, 02:56 »

well, there went my saturday afternoon.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2014, 06:02 »

This is mine. She ain't a beaut, but she gets the job done (for the time being).

« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2014, 19:54 by Masterpiece »

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2014, 08:05 »

It's a good build for early tiers.  Solid armor coverage will keep you safe against SMGs, but you'll have to upgrade to shield panels when people start using more rails and plasma.  Guns seem to rank up faster than armor bricks.  Also, armor bricks get expensive.  I'm at the point where I can drop about 1,000 on a single brick. 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2014, 08:17 »

Yeah, I'm trying to build up some tier 8/red blocks. 1900 points each. Ouch. I mean I bring in 5000-10000 each game on average but it really starts taking a while.  if I ever settle on a design I'll have to get some pictures up. My main right now is a T8 walker medic with sheilds all around. I want to add some hovers or something so I can stay mobile when I start losing legs, but I'm out of pflops. I could sacrifice some shields..... but that would make the design look uneven and that really bothers me to look at.

I've also been working with and I think finally got a decent design for a T4 hover bike.  it's basically 1 block wide, with over tier hover fans, thrusters and plasma guns. If I get hit, it's pretty much all over, I'll lose all control. But with the speed and agility of it, it's like flying a Flappy. I tend to be more nuisance than actual effectiveness, but I'm great at scouting and harrying. And I can go up things a hover has no place being, jumping over ridge lines and even taking flight briefly. I managed once to even get on top of the ridge shelf that surrounds the maps and zip over to the enemy base where I rained plasma bombs down on their guards.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2014, 08:31 »

I see hover/walker hybrids a lot.  And a few airplane/walker ones, which is weird. 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2014, 08:36 »

My walker was a hover/walker before the latest rebuilding to bring it up to T8. It worked really well. If I got one or two legs shot off, it would still balance and I could move, wobbily.  At the start of the match I could keep up with other people on my team better as well by going to max height and skimming along with my legs folded.  I haven't tried a winged walker yet. Mostly they seem to be rail snipers. They fly to a good position and use the legs for stability to shoot. Kind of like jet cars used to before.

I want to do a jumping plasma bot next. Kind of like your design with legs on all four sides, but using a bunch of thrusters in all directions. I've seen them in action and they get all over the field.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2014, 08:40 »

There's a lot of hover snipers that just spawn camp a lot and it's very annoying

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2014, 08:43 »

The thing about hover snipers is that they lack stability, so if you keep moving, you'll be reasonably safe as you lay down some flak style anti-aircraft fire.  SMGs are pretty good for taking out the blimp/satellite style hover bots.   

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2014, 08:48 »

So long as they aren't the multitude of hackers infesting the game. Autofire sniper rifle with perfect accuracy while moving? Sure that's legit...

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #18 on: 27 Oct 2014, 05:24 »

I'm Pilchard123 (I am, Pilchard123, I am, I am)

MP, I guess the wheels are inside that mask?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #19 on: 27 Oct 2014, 05:37 »

Exactly. It worked pretty well in tier 2 but I'm being torn apart in 3 now. And I have complete golden armor now.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #20 on: 27 Oct 2014, 05:39 »

I'm masterpiece_911 in game by the way. Add me.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #21 on: 27 Oct 2014, 07:27 »

really one of the more enjoyable skinner-boxes i've been trapped in.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #22 on: 27 Oct 2014, 07:47 »

rhubarbgrumblerhubarb servers are down rhubarbrhubarbgrumble

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:02 »

yeah, i was playing & got blowed up; decided to stick around in spectator mode & see if we could win it & noticed my remaining two teammates were really blatantly cheating: overlapping parts, rapid-fire weapons, etc.

still ended up losing due to one getting ripped apart by the last remaining opponent, while the other was completely unable to control his flyer due to the recoil of his six rapid-fire plasma-cannons.

few minutes later, while i'm tinkering in the garage, a message pops up that the servers are going offline for half an hour to install a new anti-hacking update.

snarkyone

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Who knew the grail wasn't dishwasher safe?
« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:04 »

I'm snarkyone.
"No one cares how much you know, till they know how much you care.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #25 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:09 »

few minutes later, while i'm tinkering in the garage, a message pops up that the servers are going offline for half an hour to install a new anti-hacking update.

good!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #26 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:09 »

Do you get anything for being on the winning team other than the 2x boost for your first win of the day?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #27 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:37 »

You get tech points for being on the winning team (and alive at the end). There may be an increase of RP as well. I'm not sure about that. Cheating is ridiculous lately. It's always been an issue because it's crazy easy to cheat in the game. A quick web search will find you lots of programs, so there isn't even any skill or know-how required. The patch today will hopefully address some of that. It will always be a cat and mouse issue, the same as any other game. And the game still is in alpha. Bless those crazy devs for basically freely releasing their game in alpha state, it's so much more work that way. I'll be happy if they can at least cut down on the insane numbers of cheaters.. it's starting to get to the multiple people in every game stage.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #28 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:06 »

indeed. here's  a screenshot i took about 10-15 minutes ago, after the update

preeety sure we're not supposed to be able to cram t3 subs side-by-side like that.

if anyone here is so inclined, feel free to pass that along to the devs.

Schmee

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #29 on: 27 Oct 2014, 21:37 »

Maybe that isn't evidence of the update failing.
It's likely that the update blocked whatever third-party programs the cheaters used to make their tanks, but it's too difficult to go through every robot looking for impossible builds, so this tank will remain until he has to upgrade any of those t3 subs - or even the blocks next to them.

Frankly, I'm more interested in that guy in the top right, under the red team's scoreboards. What is he even doing?
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #30 on: 27 Oct 2014, 21:46 »

Looks like a half-blasted bot with blocks knocked off all willy-nilly.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #31 on: 27 Oct 2014, 22:28 »

They did have an update a while back, shortly after I started playing that fixed those impossible builds. For a while at least. When you went into a garage it highlight anything illegally placed in red and you couldn't start a match with anything placed wrong. Obviously they figured a way around that. I think this patch was to stop the packet sniffing/code changing tricks that allowed rapid fire and aimbot hacks, among others. There were reports that they haven't been entirely fixed. But that's fairly expected. Sadly it was just poor design to let the clients handle all the data calculations with no verification from the servers. It means a smoother performance in battle, which is important. But it also makes it very easy to cheat.

Schmee

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #32 on: 28 Oct 2014, 03:50 »

That might explain another bug I've encountered sometimes: Occasionally, I'll lose connection to the server. Every other tank stays perfectly still, and stays that way until I self-destruct. I sometimes amuse myself by shooting at the frozen enemy robots; my crosshairs will recognise a hit, but the enemy won't take damage. After a while, I self-destruct to get back to the hangar, and I find that I've earned a moderate amount of RP - about 1500-2000 (which, in tier 5, corresponds to losing a battle after scoring a few hits but not destroying an enemy).

Does this mean that the amount of damage you do to enemies is calculated client-side?
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #33 on: 28 Oct 2014, 03:53 »

:O if that is the case I could get SO MUCH RP

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #34 on: 28 Oct 2014, 15:15 »

I'm in too, as Zebediah. Still getting blown up a lot in Tier 1 but I'm figuring it out.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #35 on: 28 Oct 2014, 15:39 »

Masterpiece's hull helps a ton. Stick some T3/4 subs on it and pile in. Of course, in T1 you don't have those, but T2s (when you can) will work fine there because everyone else is (usually) weaker as well.

Also, subs aren't accurate at long range if you just hold the fire button. Fire in small bursts, even single bolts, and then let the cross-hair shrink again and you'll hit more often. You can fire three or four times a second like this and hit nearly all of them. You might do less damage overall, but the damage will be better focussed and you'll make up for the lost DPS in being able to disable things quickly. Use them like lower powered, high RoF rail cannons at long range, and full-auto them at short range. Mid-range you'll need to switch it around a bit; try to shoot guns off if you can. Sometimes a sustained burst will panic someone into retreating.

For those pesky hovering snipers, remember that you can follow the sight beam and the rail trail to find them and pick them off. They usually don't have very good health, relying more on stealth for defence.

Subs are also good for area denial and anti-air - filling an area with lasers can sometimes move the hovering snipers around, making them easier to see. If you just pour fire at a flying bot you might be able to take out a fan or two. I generally throw a second or so of AA at them and then take more aimed shots. It's always fun to see them go spiralling down.

EDIT: Also, IIRC all the weapons aside from plasma are hitscan. If the target is in your sights, clicking (notwithstanding accuracy penalties from sustained fire or railgun reloading) will hit, even if the animation looks like it missed.

Schmee

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #36 on: 28 Oct 2014, 23:52 »

Okay, so that disconnect bug happened again today. I rolled over to the enemy base and took a few potshots, then disconnected. I took a screenshot of the score:

Somehow, it says that I won that game, even though I DC'd. Did the game finish (with my team winning) before I quit?
Note also that I made 2 kills and an assist without dealing any damage. :psyduck:

Also, here's my build:

Not shown: A T5 radar on the back, and a T5 jammer on the bottom, along with a flipper.
If I add a single block, I'll jump into tier 6. I'm staying in T5 to collect all the techs.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #37 on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:01 »

So I tried it. I found the build program kinda annoying and overly complex. The tech unlocks seem like a pain in the ass too.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #38 on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:15 »

wait, Schmee, why does your builder show you which tier you're on? I want that too!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #39 on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:36 »

It should just be there by default. It took me a while to realise it was there though.

Schmee

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #40 on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:39 »

I've always had that bar along the bottom. I don't recall changing the settings to enable it; maybe your screen resolution is cropping it out?
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #41 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:07 »

The game is still alpha and kind of buggy, so yeah.. that sort of thing is to be expected. Especially if something odd like disconnecting mid-match happens. The tier bar is always at the bottom of the garage. I don't even think you can disable it, since it is kind of important. And honestly they should point it out because I was playing for a few weeks before I realized what it was, because I read a comment about it on reddit. But again, yeah.. Alpha. There's a lot they need to fix up/clarify. They just seem to have got themselves stuck in a cycle of trying to make a playable game to early in their development cycle, balancing and dealing with the headaches of maintaining live servers.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #42 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:29 »

24h free premium using code HALLOWFEST-666. There's a bug that makes it look like you haven't really got it, but restarting fixes that.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #43 on: 29 Oct 2014, 15:42 »

Oh man giving everyone premium is amazing so far. My tub is blue now.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #44 on: 29 Oct 2014, 19:52 »

Behold:

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #45 on: 29 Oct 2014, 19:54 »

oh, great, from that angle it's not visible at all. That thing is a hovercraft.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
« Reply #46 on: 29 Oct 2014, 23:41 »

Nice.  Be sure to test the fk outta it, though.  Hovercraft can still end up upside down if they try to go over a steep enough bump.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #47 on: 30 Oct 2014, 02:49 »

somebody built a flying toilet

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #48 on: 30 Oct 2014, 03:11 »

Sniping chairs. You're doing it wrong.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #49 on: 30 Oct 2014, 03:21 »

J I met you in game yesterday (which is why I added you) but you were on the other team and I didn't figure out I was only writing my team...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up