THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Placeholder Poll: What also floats in water?

Bread
Apples
Uh...very small rocks
Cider
Gravy
Churches
Lead! Lead!
A Duck! *gasps*

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2821-2825 (27 - 31 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 78493 times)

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Warning - while you were trying to open the reply form someone did half your comment already

Goddammit.

On Marten: This dude. Right there. This dude is just begging for someone to put the "Arbor Day 2003" banner up again.

Although if that was the banner Tai had to put up, this could bring about some serious discussion. Like, did Tai know Pintsize from earlier? Which was the impression they left on each other? Was Pintsize using another name? Is Momo-sama going to punch him again?

Tai has met Pintsize, if memory serves. On the other hand, it'd make sense for her to have a banner like that, too, given that she hits the trees harder than Sonny Bono.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

RIKER'S BEARD! Marten is being BAD! (in a good way.)

The point about this being "disrespectful" is valid, but I submit this is couples' behavior.How you find out where the boundaries are is by going with the flow until the flow bounces you off the walls. Then you have to decide if you're comfortable with where those walls are. That goes both ways.

We'll see if Claire's setting a hard line or soft line or something in between, but I figure this is a really cute set up for Tai-squee. Claire's a little more serious about the library than...everyone else.

I was thinking this was good setup for the punchline, "Sorry, can't talk about it. I went through the doors." It sets up a strict adherence to the letter of Claire's request.  But SmugMarten is a much better button.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2293

Sight gag is never explained or referred to again. I'm going with, Hatchets and hockey masks have perfectly logical explanations because no one comments on it after the punchline.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Tai has met Pintsize, if memory serves. On the other hand, it'd make sense for her to have a banner like that, too, given that she hits the trees harder than Sonny Bono.

Maybe my wording was poor, as it tends to be. With "earlier" I meant something like Arbor Day 2003, that one hell of a party.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

ASB84

I was actually thinking that would be the next point to be addressed, and the gang's reaction/thoughts about it. Who knows. If Emily does let it slip it may also cause a rift between her and Claire for a bit. I mean, the whole group has shown before they are pretty understanding and Jeph has mentioned before how one of QC's main things is inclusion. So I don't think in and of itself Claire being trans is going to be the source of drama, but more along the lines of "betrayal of trust" kind of things, which I could understand her being upset about, even if its done unintentionally.

Maybe, maybe not. Jeph's already said that he doesn't want to have Claire's trans-ness to be a source of drama (at least not for the sake of it), but only he knows exactly what he means by that, or what that's going to mean for the story. Given that Claire wants this kept quiet for now and that Marten's been respectful of her wishes, if anybody finds out at the library, it won't be him telling them. However, Tai does know about the relationship, and her enthusiasm might well get the better of her. Emily outing Claire, on the other hand, is totally plausible given that her immediate reaction on being told to keep quiet about it was to let slip something else that was supposed to be secret. I don't think she'd do it out of malice, but she could very well do something out of sheer absentmindedness.

I definitely don't think it would be malicious; I agree that it'd more likely be an absent-minded slip-up in her excitement. I also agree that the drama - for lack of a better word - would be more an issue of betraying Claire's trust than the group having some issue with her being trans. If it does happen, I could see it ultimately being a positive experience for Claire (despite any initial mortification and friction with Emily), with everyone showing her support and acceptance.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

I don't think Claire blushing like an idiot is going to get old for anyone anytime soon.

Next strip:

Claire: "Alright, from now on, no couple talk, we're libraria-"
Emily: "Hey guys! Claire, why are you blushing so much?"
Claire: "Uh, no reason *glare at Marten*"
"...okay, NOW we're professiona-"
*walks into main foyer, Tai's got a banner and streamers up, blowing streamers*
Claire: "GODDAMMIT"

Just a thought, have we seen Emily at all since the kiss on the cheek, other than the "hopefully a dream sequence" basket of mice bit? That might be covered this week.

YES. I want Tai to throw a celebration so much.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

hehehehe.. What a nice way to start the week. Also, serious Claire is so gosh darn cute!

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

All Claires are so gosh darn cute these days.

Yes.

ALL.
OF.
THEM.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Yes.

ALL.
OF.
THEM.

There are more? Did Marten start a harem... uh a Claire-m
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference

Quote from: sineira
@jephjacques I want to love this but it didn't feel like a very respectful response to her request. :-/ Sry, probably shdn't comment.

It did seem a bit disrespectful, but it was also cute, but...so conflicted!

I just thought he was being cheeky. "Okay, no PDAs once we go through these doors." *smack* *smirk* *races through doors*

EdmundBlack

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I hope that stick used to poke people making out in the stacks is going to make an appearance.

Comic Strip Critic

• Not quite a lurker
  • I read the funny pages in search of awesome.
    • My YouTube Page!

Quote from: sineira
@jephjacques I want to love this but it didn't feel like a very respectful response to her request. :-/ Sry, probably shdn't comment.

It did seem a bit disrespectful, but it was also cute, but...so conflicted!

I just thought he was being cheeky. "Okay, no PDAs once we go through these doors." *smack* *smirk* *races through doors*

Yeah. I can almost see him with the Trollface on.
I talk about comic strips and webcomics on the Internet.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Yes.

ALL.
OF.
THEM.

There are more? Did Marten start a harem... uh a Claire-m  :clairedoge:
FYP

Not that I am aware. I  simply mean all possible Claires. Everywhere. Everyclaire.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

Yes.

ALL.
OF.
THEM.

There are more? Did Marten start a harem... uh a Claire-m  :clairedoge:
FYP

Not that I am aware. I  simply mean all possible Claires. Everywhere. Everyclaire.
I thought that's what you meant. The intended meaning was very claire to me.  :clairedoge:
Mistakes, ahoy!

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Hopefully I won't have to Claire-ify further.  :claireface:

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Hopefully this doesn't turn bad. Workplace romances can sometimes be messy things if the relationship goes south.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

The point about this being "disrespectful" is valid, but I submit this is couples' behavior.How you find out where the boundaries are is by going with the flow until the flow bounces you off the walls. Then you have to decide if you're comfortable with where those walls are. That goes both ways.

We'll see if Claire's setting a hard line or soft line or something in between, but I figure this is a really cute set up for Tai-squee. Claire's a little more serious about the library than...everyone else.

Yes, but she does look serious in that last panel.  Blushing, but still serious, and more annoyed than flustered.  She clearly does want their relationship to remain separate from work (even though their work environment is only borderline professional), but maybe I'm letting myself get too worried about it.  Just don't want the ship to sink, is all, but I'm sure this breeze'll blow over in a day or two, just in time for the Taiphoon to strike.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

I think it is pretty Clariten  Clear  :clairedoge:

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I declaire, these puns are starting to get old.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Jeph has been getting more spare and practical with the strips, so this could be the direct road from Squee to splitsville. And he's got a solid track record for planting the seeds of destruction early.

But I have hope that this isn't going to go directly to the bottom of the Marianas Trench. James Cameron's down there.

I think it's too early for the worry hats to come out. We just had a super downer with Faye and Angus. Pacing demands a little squee. As do I. And if I don't get enough, I'm releasing the virus.

stephber

• Not quite a lurker

(Also, I bet those doors are totally see-through from the inside.)

I can totally see Tai putting up banners and stuff or similar in the library congratulating them for getting together. Witnessing that would just be a cherry on top to the whole scene.

'cause really? d'aaaaaaaw so cute ^_^

You read my mind. I'm expecting them to walk into confetti, banners, and extreme amounts of squeeeee!

Now if Jeph has Tai popping out of a congratulations pancake cake, I'll be perfect!

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

Jeph has been getting more spare and practical with the strips, so this could be the direct road from Squee to splitsville. And he's got a solid track record for planting the seeds of destruction early.

But I have hope that this isn't going to go directly to the bottom of the Marianas Trench. James Cameron's down there.

I think it's too early for the worry hats to come out. We just had a super downer with Faye and Angus. Pacing demands a little squee. As do I. And if I don't get enough, I'm releasing the virus.

You mean randy newman

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I really hope the "seeds of destruction" aren't planted by Marten disrespecting Claire's boundaries, especially after he promised in 2808 that they would talk to each other about whatever came up--which, I imagine, would include discussions about their relationship at work.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

Marten's usually very good about boundaries. I doubt we have anything to worry about here... with the fervent hope that this tendency does not change.

@ Ustrello: Be glad it isn't Randy the Bandicoot.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

You mean randy newman

Am I releasing Randy Newman or is he the one at the bottom of the trench. I'm not Claire.

Ustrello

• Emoticontraindication

You mean randy newman

Am I releasing Randy Newman or is he the one at the bottom of the trench. I'm not Claire.

He's there already

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

A character who believes in professionalism? What is this strip coming to?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

He's there already

Ah! That's okay then. It's Cameron you gotta watch out for.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Claire's not the only one.

I'm sure that Veronica is a very strict professional!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Discussing a client's kinks with her son was unprofessional.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Claire's not the only one.

I'm sure that Veronica is a very strict professional!

Yeah, Ms. Reed is a real whip cracker in her professional life.   :clairedoge:

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I like the David Attenborough version of that

And dawwwwwwwwww
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.

See, I was just thinking to myself, "There haven't been nearly enough Claire/Marten kissing and makeouts recently."  It's like Jeph is psychic.
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

techkid

• Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I declaire, these puns are starting to get old.
Claire-ly you have not been here for long enough.

On comic: Marten, you smooth bastard.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Luneward

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

When Marten is the assertive one in the relationship... you know this is going to get weird.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Do you know who I blame for that? Tai. She's the one who introduced Marten to the concept of 'mischievously sensual'. That said, yeah, he enjoyed doing that. It's a good sign that he's got a need for contact.

Yeah, Marten enjoyed knocking Claire's 'professional decorum' sideways. However, it was just a gentle kiss on the lips. She's going to have to build up resistance or she's going to be spending a lot of her time blushing bright red!

So, I'm thinking that this week will be the consequences in the library. After all, Tai doesn't do 'professional boundaries' (although I expect her, with her manager's hat on, to forbid make-outs in the stacks). Emily, of course, doesn't even know what 'professional boundaries' are. I expect her to badger Claire with questions but they will be motivated by curiosity rather than jealousy. I wonder if Momo will be curious too. After all, we know from her Sven fantasies that she finds human males sexually attractive but I can't see Marigold having been willing to answer her questions.

I just think Claire should get used to that blush. She's going to be dealing with lots of personal questions that trigger good memories or... er... interesting fantasies.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2014, 00:06 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

I had to go back and check to make sure that those are her normal glasses.
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

I figure it is up to Claire to decide whether what Marten did was okay or not.

I mean, it's all fine and good to be playful, but he didn't actually respond to what she said. We know that Marten isn't the type of guy to ignore it. Or at least he wasn't. But this is all new to Claire. She's only known him a couple of months.

Like I said, I figure this is just a setup for tomorrow's shenanigans. So I don't expect it to be more than a passing gag. But I have been wrong before.

Natswash

• Furry furrier

Tai has met Pintsize.

Although this does means last's weeks singing penis even if sentient is not the first

BenRG

• coprophage

Like I said, I figure this is just a setup for tomorrow's shenanigans. So I don't expect it to be more than a passing gag. But I have been wrong before.

My guess is that Marten will be the only one to respect professionalism. The rest will act like a bunch of gossip-drunk teenagers!

[Edit]
It's worth noting that a quick kiss can mean "Yes, I agree". The problem is, of course, that Claire isn't as familiar with the silent language of romance as Marten is.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2014, 00:36 by BenRG »
~~~~

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

[Edit]
It's worth noting that a quick kiss can mean "Yes, I agree". The problem is, of course, that Claire isn't as familiar with the silent language of romance as Marten is.

Does Marten look like he didn't want to mess with Claire? I don't think so. He looks like he might have used that particular form of expression to get that particular reaction. Although you might be right.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

BenRG

• coprophage

@ osaka,

It can be both at the same time too! Silent agreement merged with an enjoyable tease!

FWIW, to me, Claire's expression in the last panel was "Hey! No fair!"
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2014, 01:13 by BenRG »
~~~~

Natswash

• Furry furrier

And Marten looks like he's thinking of more ways that he'd like to mess with her "Professional decorum". Or have his messed with.

And having been to that library before, yes those doors are see through in real life

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Which might mean that the next strip features either a shocked Emily or a Tai preparing for party. Or both.
What do you know about Pokémon?

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

@ osaka,

It can be both at the same time too! Silent agreement merged with an enjoyable tease!

FWIW, to me, Claire's expression in the last panel was "Hey! No fair!"

That expression means a lot of things, unfortunately. They all boil down to "Claire is perturbed" but it can stand for frustrated, flustered, confused, consternated, and angry. It tends to take a bit of work for Claire's eye expression to change, beyond reactive iris resizing. Where a lot of QC character's "cut" their eyes as first sign of displeasure, Claire rarely does. Her eyebrows lower and the inner ends turn up slightly. But as I said to start, that doesn't always mean anger.

It's basically her "I can't even" face.

My best guess is that if she were doing angry, Marty would have the sense not to be doing smugface. I dunno. I can't remember a case of Marten out right teasing Claire. There's a joke or two, but this is a full on tease. Has he ever done that? to anyone?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

So you want Emily to kill everyone?

Will you help me hide the bodies?
An intern snapped and killed them all
A book was overdue
And she was feeling blue
Now she's rampaging round the halls!

She used to be quite wacky
And now she's not
I really don't want to die
There's only six or seven bodies

Quick, she's coming

Emily, why?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

There are more? Did Marten start a harem... uh a Claire-m

Conoiseur of Focus, maybe?  :wink:

Natswash

• Furry furrier

An intern snapped and killed them all
A book was overdue
And she was feeling blue
Now she's rampaging round the halls!

She used to be quite wacky
And now she's not
I really don't want to die
There's only six or seven bodies

Quick, she's coming

Emily, why?

Jeph needs to do a cover of this for DeathMole, it can be the one really quiet song on an otherwise loud and angry album

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

There's a joke or two, but this is a full on tease. Has he ever done that? to anyone?
Pretty sure he's teased Faye, and gotten his arm nearly broken in return.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up