THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Placeholder Poll: What also floats in water?

Bread
Apples
Uh...very small rocks
Cider
Gravy
Churches
Lead! Lead!
A Duck! *gasps*

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2821-2825 (27 - 31 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 78522 times)

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Starting your week with some Holy Grail goodness, at least until someone comes up with a better poll
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

It was a fair cop...

I'm thinking we're going to have the climactic meeting between Faye and Angus this week. However, Jeph has surprised us before and he might decide that they've both said all they want to say. Alternative arc? There could be many but I'm wondering if there might be a series of one-off strips leading up to Turkey Massacre Day.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

The wailing and gnashing of teeth begins.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Spathe ham?

Alternative arc? There could be many but I'm wondering if there might be a series of one-off strips leading up to Turkey Massacre Day.

But that's a month away.  Four weeks of one-offs seems excessive.

The way Faye talked about it with Marten, it seems she's pretty certain the relationship is over.  A meeting between her and Angus would still be nice, at least for closure.  Then maybe she decides she needs to make a change in her own life?  I can see her moping about for a bit, trying not to get in Marten's way while he's trying to start his relationship with Claire, and trying to ignore the bottle (or bottles) of Emergency Booze hiding in the apartment...until finally she makes a decision, grabs a bottle, dumps it in the sink, and goes down to Coffee of Doom to start a new welding project. 

Probably won't be that neat, but one can hope.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Jeph begins the Claire deprivation experiment, in which he finds out exactly how long the fanbase will go without seeing Claire and Marten together before they start to kvetch.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Jeph begins the Claire deprivation experiment, in which he finds out exactly how long the fanbase will go without seeing Claire and Marten together before they start to kvetch.
The clock is already running on that.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I still have my fingers crossed for an eventual return to the Horrible Revelation and Victorian costume antics.  Ohpleaseohplease.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

I still have my fingers crossed for an eventual return to the Horrible Revelation and Victorian costume antics.  Ohpleaseohplease.

Seconded.  Also, on a more serious note, I wonder if Claire is going to be more willing to get some drunk bubbles on in public now?

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am

I think that Dora/Sven is next going to be resolved, Marten/ :claireface: and Faye/Angus have nothing really needed to be added to them at this point (a final meeting of the latter or Tai's head exploding when the former walks into the library would be entertaining though). My best guess is that Monday's comic will be Dora telling her parents that she's cutting Sven out of her life.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

downtowneddie

• Emoticontraindication
  • And now, The Toad Elevating Moment

I think that Dora/Sven is next going to be resolved ... My best guess is that Monday's comic will be Dora telling her parents that she's cutting Sven out of her life.

I tend to agree with that prediction. It seems like each week for the past few weeks has been working on one plot. Two weeks ago, it was the beginning of Marten and Claire's relationship. Last week, it was the (most probable) end of Angus and Faye's relationship. Also, in last week's WCDT, I posted the current ongoing plot lines in the Q.C. universe at the moment, which I'll share again here...

- Claire and Marten are in the beginning of their relationship
- Sven's unrequited pining of Faye
- Dora wanting to cut Sven out of her life as much as possible
- Angus moving to NYC; possible end of Angus and Faye’s relationship
- Veronica possibly moving to Northampton to be with Jim
- The Emily question (i.e., what did Emily mean when she kissed Marten in #2736)
- Pintsize and Winslow Kickstarter shenanigans

We should know something in the next 6-8 hours...

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Commence F5 abuse!

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Bandwidth crystals are shot cap'n!  She canna take anymore!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

There's more to learn about Marigold and Dale
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

- The Emily question (i.e., what did Emily mean when she kissed Marten in #2736)

Sometimes minor character's do X because the author needs X to happen. This would be a fine opportunity for character development though.

What if Emily wasn't just being weird? Or what if she was but she got a thrill, that turned into a thing, that became a crush?

Then her idol shows up dating the object of her fantasy?

So many opportunities to make something other than a joke out of the character.

I'm pretty sure that's not gonna happen, but it would be kinda cool if it did.

Endellion

• I pun, therefore I am

For Daligold I'll ask what May thinks about the future

"Don't worry, eventually they'll get sick of each other and break up....orrrrr they'll live happily ever after, have a million babies and I'll get to name one of 'em Fighter Jet. Whichever you think is more realistic."

Yep, pretty much.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Agreed, though at some point you run into a critical mass of the number of threads you can maintain.

I think it would be cool in the sense it would cause some character development for a character I like; on the other hand, what I know of Emily to this point indicates to me it would be very painful character development of a person who already doesn't connect in quite the same way as the rest.  I feel like any development of Emily will be handled with kid gloves.

But I've been more wrong than Bush the lesser on WMD in the past, so who knows?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

But they're all individuals
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

*raises hand* I'm not...

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

More of a vague collection of sensory inputs, here.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Sometimes minor character's do X because the author needs X to happen. This would be a fine opportunity for character development though.

What if Emily wasn't just being weird? Or what if she was but she got a thrill, that turned into a thing, that became a crush?

Then her idol shows up dating the object of her fantasy?

So you want Emily to kill everyone?

Warning - While your skype was catching fire 2 new replies have been posted.

I am an individual. 3 out of 5 voices in my head would tell otherwise, but they don't know shit.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

I'm more of an anarcho-syndicalist commune, myself.

While that would be one of the more unusual ways for a comic to go Cerberus, it wasn't what I had in mind, exactly. I rather see Emily as a less violent type, seeing how calmly she took being attacked by a snake. On the other hand, her immediate reaction to Pintsize might suggest otherwise.

Rather, I'd like to see Emily have to face up to the fact that she treats the world in a fairly childish manner, maybe learn a bit about why she does that, and learn what it is about Claire that she fins so inspiring. Note, that I don't want her punished for being childish, or for her to stop. Just to learn not to be oblivious to the fact that she is.

NemoX

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lonely nobody

I'm not sure about Emily. Even IF she meant more than what was apparent with that kiss, she doesn't give me the impression that she would be "devastated" or anything like that about Claire/Marten. As...quirky as she can be, she seems more like a kid persona to me, and as such, any crush she may have for anybody might be experienced, and just as quickly replaced with other interests. The flanderization of her character also makes it unlikely she'll get a lot of development anyway.

I would LOVE however to see a meeting between Emily and Raven. I miss Raven =(

Aside: I really need a new phone, key board on this one is wrecked and loves putting extra spaces and w's...took me 10 minutes to type all this just fixing typos =(
"Wit is educated insolence" - Aristotle

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

While that would be one of the more unusual ways for a comic to go Cerberus, it wasn't what I had in mind, exactly. I rather see Emily as a less violent type, seeing how calmly she took being attacked by a snake.

Remember who's Emily Azuma inspired by. I have it easy since she's my alter ego. I can't remember the exact episode now (been forever since I last watched Azumanga Daioh!), but she has a mean serial killer grimace and the capability to back it up. Also, there's a super funny montage of her trying to wake up Yukari with a lightsaber (original is with a butcher knife)

ASB84

In lieu of any predictions of five strips of Steve eating cereal, or five Yelling Bird strips, I'll say five strips of Steve eating Yelling Bird.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

In lieu of any predictions of five strips of Steve eating cereal, or five Yelling Bird strips, I'll say five strips of Steve eating Yelling Bird.
Turkey day isn't until next month.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Remember who's Emily Azuma inspired by. I have it easy since she's my alter ego. I can't remember the exact episode now (been forever since I last watched Azumanga Daioh!), but she has a mean serial killer grimace and the capability to back it up. Also, there's a super funny montage of her trying to wake up Yukari with a lightsaber (original is with a butcher knife)

I am unfamiliar with that particular media. It'd be kinda left-field for Emily to start behaving that way, regardless of her point of inspiration I'm sure it could be arranged, but I would hope not. Between Faye's basic temper, Hanners's occasional inappropriate thoughts and behavior, Momo's self-defense system, and Dora's weapons cache, I think hyperviolence is covered.

I'm not sure about Emily. Even IF she meant more than what was apparent with that kiss, she doesn't give me the impression that she would be "devastated" or anything like that about Claire/Marten. As...quirky as she can be, she seems more like a kid persona to me, and as such, any crush she may have for anybody might be experienced, and just as quickly replaced with other interests. The flanderization of her character also makes it unlikely she'll get a lot of development anyway.

I would LOVE however to see a meeting between Emily and Raven. I miss Raven =(

Aside: I really need a new phone, key board on this one is wrecked and loves putting extra spaces and w's...took me 10 minutes to type all this just fixing typos =(

I neither want, nor expect Emily to be devastated, though it would be in character for her to react as if she were (see "I'm giving peas a chance"). I expect nothing, but I would want to see Emily do something that was both emotionally compelling and internally complex enough to inspire the question, "What is going on here?"

Plot elements, and the character's reactions to them, are not just tools. They are implied promises. That's why the worst thing a story can do is leave too many important threads hanging. (Not saying the Emily kiss was an important thread, this is just a backgrounder.) The tricky part is that the promises are rather specific, and the author has to be really clever, or generate a lot of good will to break one.

A good example is Super Dimension Fortress Macross. It starts with an alien invasion of Earth. The promise implied is that humanity will win and defeat the invaders. And that's what happens.

But the thing about promises, in this context, is that audience will get bored if you don't break the promise. So you have to break it. Except, if you do you upset the audience. What do you do?

Back to Macross: Humanity does win, but only after the aliens kill 98% of the Human population. Oh, and we have to share the devastated Earth with the survivors. So it's a win, for certain values of "win." But you might argue it's not much of a victory. Promise kept/broken.

Take Questionable Content. A story about a boy and girl that starts when girl meets boy. That story has a standard promised ending: Girl and boy end up together. Did Jeph keep the promise?

Yes. Boy and girl are best friends, and have learned a lot from each other both directly and indirectly. They live together, and they don't really want to change that.

Did Jeph break the promise?

Yes. Most people assume the "together" in the promise means romance and bangin'.

Let's say Emily's kiss wasn't just a setup for the launch of QC's newest flagship. (I think it was just a setup, but I want more, so go with it a sec.) What does it promise?

Well, we know that Emily worships Claire. We know that Marten is very uncomfortable with the idea that Emily might be interested in him. We know that Claire is a little confused over being Emily's idol, but she respects it--and Emily (Emily being the second person she's taken into her confidence in front of us). So, the situation promises tension with a big emotional confrontation.

But "big emotional confrontation" could mean anything. The more unexpected the form of that is, the more it has to be justified and--by extension--the more we learn about either Emily or Claire. Or Marten, but he's a pretty well known factor by now.

So that's why I'd like to see something made out of that thread. Even if Emily stays her same one dimensional self, it would mean more dimension for Claire. Unless nothing interesting was done with it, but if that was the direction there'd be no reason to do it at all.

ASB84

I'm wondering if Emily's next significant role will be to accidentally out Claire to everyone before she's ready to let them in on that knowledge. Emily is obviously very supportive of Claire, exclaiming that she was "so cool" upon finding out. I could see her blurting something out in her excitement for Marten and Claire and causing some drama/conflict that way, as opposed to creating a love triangle.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

D'aww.

And, it's not like Tai doesn't already know, via Dora...

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Oh Marten, you saboteur, you! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

I'm wondering if Emily's next significant role will be to accidentally out Claire to everyone before she's ready to let them in on that knowledge. Emily is obviously very supportive of Claire, exclaiming that she was "so cool" upon finding out. I could see her blurting something out in her excitement for Marten and Claire and causing some drama/conflict that way, as opposed to creating a love triangle.

I was actually thinking that would be the next point to be addressed, and the gang's reaction/thoughts about it. Who knows. If Emily does let it slip it may also cause a rift between her and Claire for a bit. I mean, the whole group has shown before they are pretty understanding and Jeph has mentioned before how one of QC's main things is inclusion. So I don't think in and of itself Claire being trans is going to be the source of drama, but more along the lines of "betrayal of trust" kind of things, which I could understand her being upset about, even if its done unintentionally.

D'aww.

And, it's not like Tai doesn't already know, via Dora...

yeah but they don't know that....

edit: quote and clarification
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2014, 18:26 by NemoX »

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

I can't tell if that's happiness, smugness, or some unholy union between the two but damn is Marten just exuding it in that last panel.  Must be the Claireimones. :clairedoge:
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Marten has that look that says, "Fair enough. But we're on THIS side of the door right now."

Maybe, maybe not. Jeph's already said that he doesn't want to have Claire's trans-ness to be a source of drama (at least not for the sake of it), but only he knows exactly what he means by that, or what that's going to mean for the story. Given that Claire wants this kept quiet for now and that Marten's been respectful of her wishes, if anybody finds out at the library, it won't be him telling them. However, Tai does know about the relationship, and her enthusiasm might well get the better of her. Emily outing Claire, on the other hand, is totally plausible given that her immediate reaction on being told to keep quiet about it was to let slip something else that was supposed to be secret. I don't think she'd do it out of malice, but she could very well do something out of sheer absentmindedness.

I can't tell if that's happiness, smugness, or some unholy union between the two but damn is Marten just exuding it in that last panel.  Must be the Claireimones. :clairedoge:

Happy Marten is happy.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish

Claire blushing and Marten looking happy
and I say to myself, what a wonderful world

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

It's a reasonable question, Claire. And the answer is that in a library run by Tai, nobody gives a damn about professional decorum. Just don't get caught making out in the Victorian Porn stacks, and you're in the clear.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Oh Marten, you saboteur, you!

Marten has that look that says, "Fair enough. But we're on THIS side of the door right now."

It almost looks like she's standing on tiptoe in the fourth panel, so I'm a bit disappointed that she didn't initiate the kiss, then smugly toss her hair (or something) and say "There, now we can go in." (Edit: or Aziraphale's "This side" comment.)

But only a bit disappointed.  This is good too.  :-D

(Also, I bet those doors are totally see-through from the inside.)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Just don't get caught making out in the Victorian Porn stacks, and you're in the clear.

But... but... everyone else does...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

D'awwwwww. :lol: :-D
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

sluthy

Next strip:

Claire: "Alright, from now on, no couple talk, we're libraria-"
Emily: "Hey guys! Claire, why are you blushing so much?"
Claire: "Uh, no reason *glare at Marten*"
"...okay, NOW we're professiona-"
*walks into main foyer, Tai's got a banner and streamers up, blowing streamers*
Claire: "GODDAMMIT"

Just a thought, have we seen Emily at all since the kiss on the cheek, other than the "hopefully a dream sequence" basket of mice bit? That might be covered this week.

TheDan

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Okay, Confident Marten is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. 2800 strips of character development will do that I suppose.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

It almost looks like she's standing on tiptoe in the fourth panel, so I'm a bit disappointed that she didn't initiate the kiss, then smugly toss her hair (or something) and say "There, now we can go in." (Edit: or Aziraphale's "This side" comment.)

Also, Claire initiating the kiss would have satisfied the little voice in my head that agrees with this Twitter comment:

Quote from: sineira
@jephjacques I want to love this but it didn't feel like a very respectful response to her request. :-/ Sry, probably shdn't comment.

It did seem a bit disrespectful, but it was also cute, but...so conflicted!

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Just don't get caught making out in the Victorian Porn stacks, and you're in the clear.

But... but... everyone else does...

Note that I specified "don't get caught."  :-D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

While that would be one of the more unusual ways for a comic to go Cerberus, it wasn't what I had in mind, exactly. I rather see Emily as a less violent type, seeing how calmly she took being attacked by a snake. On the other hand, her immediate reaction to Pintsize might suggest otherwise.

Rather, I'd like to see Emily have to face up to the fact that she treats the world in a fairly childish manner, maybe learn a bit about why she does that, and learn what it is about Claire that she fins so inspiring. Note, that I don't want her punished for being childish, or for her to stop. Just to learn not to be oblivious to the fact that she is.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2293

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

(Also, I bet those doors are totally see-through from the inside.)

I can totally see Tai putting up banners and stuff or similar in the library congratulating them for getting together. Witnessing that would just be a cherry on top to the whole scene.

'cause really? d'aaaaaaaw so cute ^_^

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

They have no idea of the squeesplosion that will be Tai.... poor bastards

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Warning - while you were trying to open the reply form someone did half your comment already

Goddammit.

On Marten: This dude. Right there. This dude is just begging for someone to put the "Arbor Day 2003" banner up again.

Although if that was the banner Tai had to put up, this could bring about some serious discussion. Like, did Tai know Pintsize from earlier? Which was the impression they left on each other? Was Pintsize using another name? Is Momo-sama going to punch him again?

Warning - You really are slow you know

SHUT UP FORUM I JUST BOUGHT THIS KEYBOARD JEEZ.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Well, I mean, they hadn't gone through the doors yet...

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

Warning - while you were trying to open the reply form someone did half your comment already

lol, yeah that will happen a lot. Specially if you are the type to search through the archives for specific comics to reference....by the time you find it your reply was already written by somebody else and you decide to not include the strip in your final reply....or something :P

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up