THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 05:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Placeholder Poll: What also floats in water?

Bread
Apples
Uh...very small rocks
Cider
Gravy
Churches
Lead! Lead!
A Duck! *gasps*

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2821-2825 (27 - 31 October 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 80252 times)

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I wonder what Marigold's reaction to this whole deal is going to be? She's become more assertive over the time she' been featured, so it'll be interesting to see.
I predict Angus get slapped or hugged, then Dale and Momo will find out and the grape vine will tell everyone

I can't help but wonder if Marigold might see this as time to have another go at dating Angus. Yes, she's with Dale, but I wonder if she's just socially unaware/selfish enough to try.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

I think she'd be more upset about it, he's been her friend since before we met her and she held a torch for him for a long time. Jeph could use this as a way to deepen Dale/Marigold, by way of Dale comforting her as a good boyfriend should
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

I can't help but wonder if Marigold might see this as time to have another go at dating Angus. Yes, she's with Dale, but I wonder if she's just socially unaware/selfish enough to try.

That would be a moral event horizon.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I think that ship caught fire, exploded, sank, exploded again, and had its fragments crapped on by a passing whale.

But I still want to know how she feels about losing her roommate/oldest friend in less than a week.  And we're back again to idle speculation re: who will move in to his old room, especially since Faye isn't going anywhere and Marten isn't in the same need-a-new-roommate boat.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The Pugnacious Peach is being honest with herself.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Interesting start to the week so far.

By the way, Hi from Arizona.

Welcome to Arizona!
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I think that ship caught fire, exploded, sank, exploded again, and had its fragments crapped on by a passing whale.

But I still want to know how she feels about losing her roommate/oldest friend in less than a week.  And we're back again to idle speculation re: who will move in to his old room, especially since Faye isn't going anywhere and Marten isn't in the same need-a-new-roommate boat.

I don't think it's particularly likely, mind you. Just a thought I had.

I'm wondering if Angus is "on the bus" for real, or if he's going to flame out spectacularly right after Marigold finds a new roommate. Time will tell...

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

I don't know how I feel about Angus leaving. I mean, I'm going to miss him as much as I miss Sara. But I don't dislike him. I guess we'll see.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Will Claire celebrate by consuming M&Ms, Nestle bars, fudge, and so on?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

DO NOT finish that pun about a chocolate-y Claire!
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Muffin Therapy
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Now iicih doesn't have to.

The real question about Ms. Augustus is, is her middle name Annette?

LilShortstuf

• Not quite a lurker
  • Shenanigans

Do we know if Dale has a roommate? Maybe he and Marigold are both so socially unaware that they think it would be OK to move in together at this point. It might be an interesting story arc to have Marigold and Dale decide to move in together and have Dale mention it at CoD. The Gang could then spend a long time trying to convince Dale and Marigold that it's a bad idea.

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish

*groan*

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

This went over my head...

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

"Let then eat cake."
Francisco

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

And a Claire-inet is a Reed instrument.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

:facepalm:

Thanks for clearing that up. When you said "Ms. Augustus," I was thinking of Clairemom for a minute... hence wondering where in the heck the pun was.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Well played!

Thanks for clearing that up. When you said "Ms. Augustus," I was thinking of Clairemom for a minute... hence wondering where in the heck the pun was.

Ah. Sorry. I think of her as "Claire's mom" since we really don't know her name.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Well played!

Ah. Sorry. I think of her as "Claire's mom" since we really don't know her name.

I've usually alternated between "Clairemom," "Claire's mom," and "Ms. Augustus." IOW, I probably have nobody but myself to blame for my confusion.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Dora and muffins give better advice than bourbon. We'll see.

Meanwhile at the library. Marten is floating in the air, but did he not notice that may be Claire did not want to tell their coworkers? We never saw her go through those mighty library doors. I'm mildly worried about her sitting their alone waiting for the Ativan to kick in.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Meanwhile at the library. Marten is floating in the air, but did he not notice that may be Claire did not want to tell their coworkers? We never saw her go through those mighty library doors. I'm mildly worried about her sitting their alone waiting for the Ativan to kick in.

Until Jeph shows otherwise, I'm going to assume this is something that Claire and Marten agreed had to be done. While Tai said Marten was in charge of inter wrangling, this comic makes it unambiguous that Marten is Claire's direct reporting superior. Which means he really did have to come clean to his boss about it, so they could decide how to manage it. Since the both used "we work together" as an excuse right up until they were (literally) face to face with their attraction, it's sensible to assume they talked about it.

With Jeph leaving more small beats out in pursuit of fewer words, I'm guessing that's they case.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

*applause*

Despite my feelings about Monday's strip, I don't think her response is quite that serious.  Annoyed and a bit flustered, sure, but borderline-anxiety attack?  Seems unlikely.  Plus, I'm sure she would agree with Marten that Tai, at least, should know about the relationship, precisely for the reasons he voiced on Tuesday--which is why I'm a tiny bit bothered that they didn't broach the subject to her together (and making Tai go doubly-catatonic).  But I've probably fired my headcannon on these forums enough this week.

Until Jeph shows otherwise, I'm going to assume this is something that Claire and Marten agreed had to be done.

Ditto.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

The lesson, me thinks, is don't wait until you're "good." "Good enough" will do. What's good enough? Make something. show it someone else. Did they understand it? If yes, it's good enough.

Lesson two is, "You'll have time to be good at it when you're dead. Right now, it's time to be doing it."

Remember, anything worth dong is worth doing badly.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Was that intentional?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Was that intentional?

I'm dyin' here. :-D

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

The usual advice to beginning artists is to draw, draw, draw, because they've got 10,000 bad pictures inside them and they have to get them out before they start getting good. I think the same principle applies with beginning writers, because really, you can't get good at something if you don't practice doing it! Writing bad stories, comparing them to good stories and seeing why they're bad, learning how to make them better, is just something you gotta do. Most authors get dozens of rejection letters before publishing a single story, or write dozens of stories they don't even bother sending to editors before sending one they think is good.

I ran across an interesting quote recently in the Wikipedia article on Louis L'Amour, a writer of Western novels who was very popular from the Sixties through the Eighties:

Quote from: Wikipedia
When interviewed not long before his death, he was asked which among his books he liked best. His reply:

Quote from: Louis L'Amour
I like them all. There's bits and pieces of books that I think are good. I never rework a book. I'd rather use what I've learned on the next one, and make it a little bit better. The worst of it is that I'm no longer a kid and I'm just now getting to be a good writer. Just now.

This from a man who published "89 novels, 14 short-story collections, and two full-length works of nonfiction" and was considered "one of the world's most popular writers"! Geez, Louis, not long before your death is a helluva time to finally start getting good. Maybe work on your timing in your next life?  :lol:

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Meanwhile at the library. Marten is floating in the air, but did he not notice that may be Claire did not want to tell their coworkers?

I think going by the spirit of what she said rather than the letter, Claire wants to be professional and Marten telling Tai and offering to step down from intern wrangling is the professional thing to do.

Plus it's not like he COULD keep it from Tai. Word was already out and even if it wasn't it'd get to her eventually.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Do we know if Dale has a roommate? Maybe he and Marigold are both so socially unaware that they think it would be OK to move in together at this point. It might be an interesting story arc to have Marigold and Dale decide to move in together and have Dale mention it at CoD. The Gang could then spend a long time trying to convince Dale and Marigold that it's a bad idea.
May is Dale's roomate.

Stoon

Sometimes I think we get a bit over analytical in here.
Some of us.  Not others.

Stoon

What's wrong with Claire?
Terrible sense of humour.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

What's wrong with Claire?
Terrible sense of humour.

W...what?!

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

The usual advice to beginning artists is to draw, draw, draw, because they've got 10,000 bad pictures inside them and they have to get them out before they start getting good. I think the same principle applies with beginning writers, because really, you can't get good at something if you don't practice doing it! Writing bad stories, comparing them to good stories and seeing why they're bad, learning how to make them better, is just something you gotta do. Most authors get dozens of rejection letters before publishing a single story, or write dozens of stories they don't even bother sending to editors before sending one they think is good.

I ran across an interesting quote recently in the Wikipedia article on Louis L'Amour, a writer of Western novels who was very popular from the Sixties through the Eighties:

Quote from: Wikipedia
When interviewed not long before his death, he was asked which among his books he liked best. His reply:

Quote from: Louis L'Amour
I like them all. There's bits and pieces of books that I think are good. I never rework a book. I'd rather use what I've learned on the next one, and make it a little bit better. The worst of it is that I'm no longer a kid and I'm just now getting to be a good writer. Just now.

This from a man who published "89 novels, 14 short-story collections, and two full-length works of nonfiction" and was considered "one of the world's most popular writers"! Geez, Louis, not long before your death is a helluva time to finally start getting good. Maybe work on your timing in your next life?  :lol:
My name's ReindeerFlotilla and I approve this message.

Stoon

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Yes. Claire's one for bad puns. *I* think it's cute. (Said the guy who came up with Claire Annette)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

It's fairly typical of Faye to blame herself, think she's inadequate and use overindulgence as a crutch. Right now, I think that she's still hiding from talking to Angus again. IMHO, that is something that she must do to move on.

Dora is right - There is no shame in admitting that a relationship is going somewhere that you can't go. Better to end it on good terms than drag things out until loneliness, bitterness and infidelity make things tear apart in a pyrotechnic mess.

May is Dale's roomate.

She was having a shower at Marigold and Angus's apartment at about the time Angus was talking to Faye at CoD. They might have met when he got home. Whilst it's unlikely that Angus would confide in a stranger whose only qualification is being Momo's sort-of-friend, May does have the advantage of having a neutral perspective: she doesn't know either of them. He wouldn't be the first guy to fall into conversation with a stranger when facing serious troubles.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

May has met Faye. You're right. She don't KNOW Faye, but they've met. I think they made a positive impression on each other.

Faye probably knows May is embodied, since she works with Dale, but my guess is they haven't spent any time together.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Puns are not terrible. Having said that, I think Claire's graping the bottom of the barrel in the strip quoted above.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Nice strip, good to see Dora admitting her limits. Faye is continuing to be a coward. Give it a go, try the long-distance thing and if it doesn't work out then at least you tried. You will always regret what you didn't do.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Stoon, triple-posting is generally frowned upon, you can scroll back and click 'insert quote' to put multiple quotes in one post.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

Am I the only one who noticed that Faye "opened the door" a crack when talking with Dora?

With Marten last week, she sounded resolute.  Now she's doubting her reasons for ending the relationship, wondering if she's a coward. 

I actually am starting to think if Angus reappears, and says EXACTLY THE RIGHT THING she might back down and provisionally reconsider. 

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Has she ended the relationship, though? Or just not yet done anything to try to preserve it? And the word "coward" is being tossed about a little casually, here, if you ask me.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Faye is being casually disrespectful of her self. It's not a sympathy gambit. She'd have done more to engage Dora's rebuttal if it were. She's genuinely concerned she might be a coward, or genuinely believes she deserves no more respect for what she did than insult.

Dora is right to point out that the question is better suited to therapy than muffins.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

He noticed, and in this case, saying something is actually being more respectful to Claire's wishes than not saying something. Tai already knows, and is already (obviously) very happy for both of them. Left to her own devices, she'd probably spill the beans sooner rather than later, so if it's discretion they're looking for, it makes sense that he'd want to talk to her. Even if she were the model of discretion, there's something else that's equally important: Tai may be Marten's friend outside work, but at work, she's not just a co-worker, she's his boss. It's a conversation they need to have, even if it simply ends with Tai telling Marten not to worry about it.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Puns are not terrible. Having said that, I think Claire's graping the bottom of the barrel in the strip quoted above.

I see what you did there.  :clairedoge:
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

At least muffins are healthier than burbon.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

Faye just looks so morose eating that muffin.  Just makes you want to hug her and squeeze her and pat her and call her George and...

But seriously, I hope Faye clears the air between her and Angus.  You do not want something like that hanging over you like a dark cloud.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

But seriously, I hope Faye clears the air between her and Angus.  You do not want something like that hanging over you like a dark cloud.

That's my hope too. They had great times together and, one way or another, it would be terrible for those memories to end up poisoned.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up