THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TIE fighter and X-wing digital re-release  (Read 6122 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
Re: TIE fighter and X-wing digital re-release
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2014, 01:36 »

!!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:31 »

You all know what this means. Suit up.
I love how the HUD from Tie Fighter is in the video.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:38 »

Never did get the hang of dodging flack and concussion missiles...
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more
« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:34 »

Want.
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2014, 14:35 »

Much want. Gimme.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2014, 14:36 »

I remember these games being some of the only games that I absolutely enjoy playing even though I'm completely horrible at them.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2014, 16:43 »

Gotta wait .

Gotta wait until Friday.

Gotta...aaaaargh

(it'll be fine, I just forgot about this and rented The Evil Within instead. D'oh)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2014, 18:27 »

Never did get the hang of dodging flack and concussion missiles...

Depends on your craft:
* Good manouver is always the 'barrel roll', i.e. a corkscrew spiral where the axis of the cylinder you corkscrew around is pointing at the flak/missile (see below). You close in on the enemy rapidly, while simultaneously you are perfectly safe - he can't get more than a random lucky shot into you. Plus you always have perfect situational awareness (Where is the enemy? How far away? Where is he going?)
* Many people forget that dodging missiles is about angular velocity, and not about velocity; so they immediately break at 90 degrees to the missile the very second they get the missile lock, which is actually the best way to ensure you get hit by the missile.
* Simultaneously, you can do a lot with thrust/speed - especially in the A-wing/Tie-Interceptor.
* Shield management is your friend! This is most effective in the X-wing, since it has the best combination of shields, firepower, maneuverability and speed. This beast can go from defense to offense in a split second, is really hard to outturn if the pilot knows what he's doing and what the throttle is for, the shields give you a lot of second (and 5th) chances, and lastly the 4 cannons mean that no attacker can risk staying in front of it - it's literally a flying flak-tower welded onto 4 huge sodding engines.
* Chaffs/flares are your BEST FRIENDS!
* And lastly, depending on the range, offense is often the best defense - i.e. shoot the missile, or force the attacker to break off, then go for their six. Again, this works best with the X-wing - if a Tie-pilot is so stupid to try chicken race with you, he's toast - you can put out several times his damage in shorter time, and the X-wing can take a lot more punishment.

The first thing is closing the distance safely and in a way that puts you in a good position for the dogfight - after that, it's a game of staying inside their turn radius and closing at their six, i.e switching from defense to offense.
(click to show/hide)

Have fun & good hunting! 
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2014, 17:45 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2014, 14:33 »

*sniff*

Reading that brings me back to when I first was learning those lessons in Red Baron.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2014, 17:41 »

*sniff*

Reading that brings me back to when I first was learning those lessons in Red Baron.

;) My Sidewinder has been buried someplace for almost a decade now ...
Have you noticed that the new IL-2 is out on Steam ... ?!?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2014, 19:42 »

Oh hey, no I hadn't.

I do have to confess that I'm not actually a flight sim enthusiast, despite spending time with some secondhand-store copies of RB and X-Wing. So I'm only familiar with IL-2 and such things from afar, i.e. "oh yeah I remember that existing, people seemed to like it'.

So if you're looking for actual conversations, you'll be disappointed. :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up