Spathe Ham, Bacon, Waffles and Flat Whites
- 7 (6.8%)
Whatever
- 6 (5.8%)
ClaireMomJob
- 2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2826-2830 (03 - 07 November 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 60045 times)

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

I second! The continuation of the electrical puns is a situation that must be rectified.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

NemoX

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lonely nobody

how shocking. The frequency of these puns has me ex-static. I mean, I almost want to double up and volt out of hertz.

Really, you should all feel ashamed of yourselves, watt are you? 1.21 gigawatts or pure puns?
"Wit is educated insolence" - Aristotle

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

That might push my beyond my capacity.

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer

Comic's up.

ASB84

So, that's probably a "no" from Hanners.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

"I would literally murder you" sounds a lot creepier from Hanners than pretty much any other cast member,

Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

"I would literally murder you" sounds a lot creepier from Hanners than pretty much any other cast member,

And a lot truer.

She also delivered the line almost as if she was telling her she preferred stevia in her tea instead of Sweet 'n Low.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

And it's not the first time she mentions the possibility of killing her friends:

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

I can definitely relate to Hanners here. I have friends I feel that way about. Most people, actually. I love them dearly and I enjoy our time together, but living with them? That's just a police report waiting to happen.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2014, 20:04 by Kugai »
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

And a lot truer.

She also delivered the line almost as if she was telling her she preferred stevia in her tea instead of Sweet 'n Low.
No, stevia is what she puts in other people's drinks to kill them. She's secretly Walter White.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

The Odd Couple
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

Marigold is the cutest I have ever seen her in Panel two today.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

While literally now also means figuratively, I don't think Hanners is using it in that sense. She means she would murder Marigold. At the very list, Marigold would suffer serious hertz.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

When did Marigold sprout rabbit-teeth, anyway?

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Leave it to the anime fanatic to use the pleading anime eyes.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

When did Marigold sprout rabbit-teeth, anyway?

Since she went into space.

And since Jeph changed styles again. Marigold's teeth were often like that, but the new "loose" style apparently makes them bigger.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I think, although I don't know if they know each other other than in passing, her and Emily could work. Emily seems tidy, and she'd probably get along with Hannelore and Dale, and she's weird which probably means even if she doesn't like it (it=gaming/fandoms/anime/whatever), she's not going to make fun of nerds (especially because she seems nice; I know there are weird jerks).

Or that could be how they reintroduce Gabby. But I feel like Gabby was a bit stern (unless I'm blending her with early-Claire) and thus might not like the anime marathons and not-totally-cleanly-without-Hannelore-ness.

Or she could just move into a one bedroom.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

Hooray for Hanners featuring more!

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

Dev Null

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Hannelore's hands are not visible in any frame, but she's wearing elbow-length gloves and sterilizing Marigold's fridge...

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Glad to see she's sane enough to avoid considering Dale, at least. Although, it would be more amusing to see their situation blow up in their faces...
Mistakes, ahoy!

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

Hannelore's hands are not visible in any frame, but she's wearing elbow-length gloves and sterilizing Marigold's fridge...
I support this headcanon
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Actually, Momo taking on a second job or getting extra shifts would make the most sense.  May might also work, since she doesn't want condom wrappers and gawds know what else on her face when she comes out of sleep mode, and maybe the robot odd-couple might prefer that life than deal with humans getting physical all the time.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Glad to see she's sane enough to avoid considering Dale, at least. Although, it would be more amusing to see their situation blow up in their faces...

I don't know, I thought this might be the setup for that.

Also, panel 1 Marigold is a dwarf. But then she got better.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

But Hanners is not wearing shoes. This fact, alone, is messing with my mind.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

She has a roomba to keep the floor spotless.

I think. Something horrible may or may not have happened to it.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

She has a roomba to keep the floor spotless.

I think. Something horrible may or may not have happened to it.

It met the singing dildo in the hallway.  What happened next shocked even Yelling Bird.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

But... but...

That'snotHannelore'skitchen!

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Actually, Momo taking on a second job or getting extra shifts would make the most sense.  May might also work, since she doesn't want condom wrappers and gawds know what else on her face when she comes out of sleep mode, and maybe the robot odd-couple might prefer that life than deal with humans getting physical all the time.

May would be interesting.

I think Momo's paycheques are going pretty heavily into paying off the chassis, for now. I imagine the bulk of any leftovers already go to help with bills because Momo really wants to be a full, contributing citizen, and paying bills thus probably feels good, but I don't think she's probably making enough to significantly work on both.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Now... To me, the question is why Jeph chose to use a strip to remind us of something that we already knew so well. To wit: that Hannelore has made lots of progress, but not enough to deal with someone who is as terminally messy as Marigold! Friend or not, the stress would make her flip!

On a more serious note, I have no doubt that anti-psychotics are included in the constellation of medications that Hanners takes. She may brush it off as a joke ssometimes, but I believe that she genuinely struggles with hallucinatory voices and extremely violent impulses and we've seen strips where this has driven her to tears.

Well, Marigold is a sensible girl - notice that she hasn't even suggested moving in with Dale. There are precisely three options right now, IMHO:
  • May - encouraged by Dale who wants her out but also because he knows it's the next step of her rehabilitation;
  • Emily;
  • Momo - assuming that her income is enough to pay the rent.
There is, of course the wildcard possibility of a new character, possibly associated with Faye or some other main character's story.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Now... To me, the question is why Jeph chose to use a strip to remind us of something that we already knew so well: to wit, that Hannelore has made lots of progress, but not enough to deal with someone who is as terminally messy as Marigold! Friend or not, the stress would make her flip!

We know it, but Marigold may not. And it's also to let us see if Marigold had made any actual progress towards basic hygiene, which Hanners confirms didn't happen.
Also the punch line. Always useful.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

There is, of course the wildcard possibility of a new character, possibly associated with Faye or some other main character's story.
Sara or Vespavenger.
IIRC, Marigold doesn't know either.

The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Sara or Vespavenger.
IIRC, Marigold doesn't know either.

Didn't JJ write out Vespaavenger?

BenRG

• coprophage

Didn't JJ write out Vespaavenger?

FWIW, my headcanon is that Vespa had her brain thoroughly laundered (to the point she can't actually remember a life before her membership of The Project) was cybernetically upgraded by EC Defence Systems and is now part of an experimental 'plugsuit super soldier' program. Woman and machine! Power X-treme!
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2014, 01:33 by BenRG »
~~~~

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU

Possible ideas that strike me,  :claireface:  is a possibility if only because it moves her closer to Marten and it does seem like there's been a lot with her lately. Only other ideas I can think of are, as mentioned Momo, is another possibility. The other chance is that this gets used to bring another new character in, which actually would make some sense and could be a potential new source of drama and interactions.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

FWIW, my headcanon is that Vespa had her brain thoroughly laundered (to the point she can't actually remember a life before her membership of The Project) was cybernetically upgraded by EC Defence Systems and is now part of an experimental 'plugsuit super soldier' program. Woman and machine! Power X-treme!

Dude, stop binging on Evangelion.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Possible ideas that strike me,  :claireface:  is a possibility if only because it moves her closer to Marten and it does seem like there's been a lot with her lately. Only other ideas I can think of are, as mentioned Momo, is another possibility. The other chance is that this gets used to bring another new character in, which actually would make some sense and could be a potential new source of drama and interactions.

I was also thinking Dora since she's ALL THE WAY in Amherst, but I don't really see it happening. For also intangible reason, I don't see Claire. Also, there's been a lot of 'wow we all live in one building? Crazy" already, so that's a thing.

ElsaStegosaurus

• Not quite a lurker

Hanners, you kinda scary.  Murder is the operative word here.  Not kill.  Murder.  And I kind of believe her, too.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

I was also thinking Dora since she's ALL THE WAY in Amherst, but I don't really see it happening. For also intangible reason, I don't see Claire. Also, there's been a lot of 'wow we all live in one building? Crazy" already, so that's a thing.

That somehow sprung "Natasha" to mind. Why did it do that.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Well, Marigold is a sensible girl - notice that she hasn't even suggested moving in with Dale.
I agree (living with someone you are dating can be great but they haven't been for, well, at all long really. Although I did like the idea before of Momo/May roommates if Dale and Marigold lived together), but Marigold with Dale is unlikely, as Faye mentioned that there's a lease on Angus' apartment and so she probably can't move (and probably won't want to, seeing as Hanners is her best friend and right there, and moving is hard).

That does not rule out Dale moving in, but other than the robots I'm not keen on the idea. This double reinforces May going there, I suppose, since that's the part of this idea I like.
This would be neat but it also seems weird to just pop in a random new person. Whether she knows them online, or it's a craigslist person, or whatever, it just seems like it'll be jarring.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

As an aside, thinking about their household arrangements is reminding me of how excited I was when I moved out for living in an apartment complex where maybe I'd make friends and they could visit a lot and we could have spontaneous outings. That never happened.

That somehow sprung "Natasha" to mind. Why did it do that.

Oh no.

Although THAT reminds me, Amir was homeless last we checked. Hanners knows him, so that's an alright reference.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

Maybe it's just because iv never much cared for Marigold, but her body language in the first panel to me screams "im a spoiled brat"

BenRG

• coprophage

Maybe it's just because iv never much cared for Marigold, but her body language in the first panel to me screams "im a spoiled brat"

My understanding of the character makes it say more: "I don't know what do do! Someone tell me what to do!"
~~~~

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Although that is just a softer way of saying "I'm a spoiled brat". Speaking as one.

Regarding Amir: That sounds like a much MUCH better idea than mine, and it could trigger more band practice (and even a newfound interest in music on Marigold's part)

BenRG

• coprophage

egarding Amir: That sounds like a much MUCH better idea than mine, and it could trigger more band practice (and even a newfound interest in music on Marigold's part)

I must admit, I've always liked the idea of Emily being a keyboards savant. It would be a way to keep her in the main thread of the strip after her internship ends.
~~~~

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

Although that is just a softer way of saying "I'm a spoiled brat". Speaking as one.

And....instead of just asking, since she clearly knows what she wants, she does the slightly manipulative thing and tries to get the other person to suggest the idea

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

The other person then counters with murder. I'm assuming that 1: she doesn't know Hanners as much as she'd like to and 2: Her plan backfireded.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

I would to, certainly after the  May thing at Dale's place, after they had banged like, one time, telling Dale he cant let someone move into HIS apartment like she owns the place.... Brat.

BenRG

• coprophage

The other person then counters with murder. I'm assuming that 1: she doesn't know Hanners as much as she'd like to and 2: Her plan backfireded.

Marigold has never demonstrated much of what I call 'social awareness'. She has no idea how to read people properly and she has a lot of trouble deciding if an when it is appropriate to push her own wants and desires (other than her overriding neurotic need to be anonymous and unseen).

Her RL social circle is basically just Momo, Dale and Hannelore with Marten, Dora and the rest of the CoD ladies at a first degree of separation via her immediate friends. There is also May who is essentially Dale's room-mate and to whom she owes a favour or two along the line but the two don't really like each other. So, let's be brutal here: Apart from Hannelore she knows no one who might be interested in moving in with her that she knows at much more than 'acquaintance' level.

At this stage, I've got a feeling that Jeph is planning to use the crisis of Angus' departure as the catalyst for a 'Girl Meet World' scenario where Marigold is thrown into the deep end of the real world and just has to sink or swim.
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Marigold has gotten better about the whole personal hygiene and cleaning part, but Hanners takes things to an extreme. She has toned that down as well since working at the coffee shop but she still is obsessive about cleaning. Not to mention some of her other habits like staying up for days until she has a psychotic episode and collapses from exhaustion. I really don't think Hanners is ready to be living with anyone else right now.

May would be an obvious choice of someone in the cast who needs a place but can't afford one on their own. Since she's basically couch surfing with Dale right now, he apparently has a one bedroom place. I doubt she could afford a half place on her own, but between her job at the store and Momo's job they can probably make up Angus' half of the rent. Momo could continue rooming with Marigold, or she and May could share Angus' old room, if they can stand living together.

Amir is an option, possibly. But it seems likely because I don't think he and Marigold have even met, and her thing is she doesn't want to live with a stranger. Marten would probably vouch for him... but that doesn't necessarily make him a good room mate. Other options were maybe Tai? She was living on campus before wasn't she? And now she's graduated. It could get Gabby back into the cast, but all the same problems with Amir are there with Gabby as well.

BenRG

• coprophage

Well, Marigold has got a month to work something out. As I've already said, I suspect that Jeph is setting this up for a Marigold arc, her learning to deal with social interaction with strangers and accepting that someone is going to be coming into her life whose only prior contact with her is responding to a Craigslist ad and several written references from previous roomies/landlords.

Regarding time-frame, I suspect that this is Monday evening. Marten talking to Faye the evening after his Monday shift at the library just happened and now we've jumped scene to Marigold visiting Hanners. I just don't think it is credible that Marigold would have waited a whole day (all of Monday and into Tuesday) to talk to Hannelore about this; she'd be too anxious about Angus moving out and would be looking looking for help, reassurance and a quick solution.
~~~~

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up