Spathe Ham, Bacon, Waffles and Flat Whites
- 7 (6.8%)
Whatever
- 6 (5.8%)
ClaireMomJob
- 2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2826-2830 (03 - 07 November 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 59043 times)

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

The "Marigold Louise Farmer meets world" prediction seems accurate and hits close to home, since I did have a similar problem (in a much more immediate way) when my father's respiratory system collapsed - I had been sharing the flat with my mother until then. This still doesn't rule out Amir, it just gives a story on how they ended up getting together. Maybe Hanners spreads the word of Marigold's problem, then Marten overhears, goes tell Amir, they meet, Marigold cowers, that sort of thing.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I second! The continuation of the electrical puns is a situation that must be rectified.

Elton John discovered how difficult that is. He wrote a song in memory of Princess Di but nothing got better. Some things can't even be rectified with a Di ode.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

Why would hanners, even if she wasn't crazy about cleaning, want to live with someone else, when its not financially needed, and not with someone she is romantically involved with anyway?

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

It would give her good experience at dealing with social situations. However, Marigold isn't the best possible roommate for that purpose. Hannelore should start with someone easy, like, um, nobody else in the main cast.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Just for funsies:

FWIW, my headcanon is that Vespa had her brain thoroughly laundered (to the point she can't actually remember a life before her membership of The Project) was cybernetically upgraded by EC Defence Systems and is now May.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

It would give her good experience at dealing with social situations. However, Marigold isn't the best possible roommate for that purpose. Hannelore should start with someone easy, like, um, nobody else in the main cast.

I'd say that Marten Tiberius Reed is a pretty easygoing dude to live around honestly

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I'd say that Marten Tiberius Reed is a pretty easygoing dude to live around honestly

Hm. Would Momo join in that arrangement? That'd turn Pintsize's world upside down ...
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I second! The continuation of the electrical puns is a situation that must be rectified.

Elton John discovered how difficult that is. He wrote a song in memory of Princess Di but nothing got better. Some things can't even be rectified with a Di ode.

TO THE CHAIR FOR THAT ONE!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

TO THE CHAIR FOR THAT ONE!!

It's not his fault; you know he couldn't resist.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

...and now we've jumped scene to Marigold visiting Hanners...

Seriously, people. That isn't Hannelore's kitchen.  Unless it's an extreme continuity glitch. The color and layout of Hanners's kitchen is the same as Marten's.

If it was Hanners's normal kitchen, it would be beige, with a blank wall to the left of the fridge, and the cabinets to the right. The view from the door, looking out, would show either a blank wall, or part of the wall with one of the two large windows of the living room.

Instead, the kitchen wall, counter, and living room wall colors match the McPhee-Farmer apartment as seen in first pancakes. Banners is visiting Marigold.

Hannelore Ellocott-Chatham is barefoot in someone else's home.

ItsNotATumor

• Not quite a lurker
  • Eat any good books lately?

Marigold is infantilized here. "And now Angus is moving away and I hafta find a new roommate!" sounds like it came out of Family Circus. The body language is childish and petulant. The terms "hafta" and "wanna" exacerbate the impression.

Did she use baby talk like "hafta" and "wanna" in past strips? I don't think so... perhaps a more knowledgeable forum goer would know.
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2014, 12:29 by ItsNotATumor »

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Instead, the kitchen wall, counter, and living room wall colors match the McPhee-Farmer apartment as seen in first pancakes. Banners is visiting Marigold.

Is First Pancakes one of the Apocrypha?  :angel:
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am

Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse?

Anywho, one very, very off the wall and probably not happen theory: Faye goes back to Savannah to regroup after the break up and, after flunking/dropping out of college, reluctantly brings someone back north to live with the Yankees to start a new life.

Amanda.

Amanda'd be a unknown for Marigold but Faye and Marten could vouch for her so she'll be 'safe' as a housemate and will fit in with the circle of friends. Also she'll be a good rebound fling for Tai when Dora leaves her to become Veronica's protege as she retires.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

First Pancakes was the beginning. Second Pancakes changed everything.

Now the world hangs in the balance. Can Third Pancakes be prevented? Who is fated to start Third Pancakes? And what does it have to do with the Human Insturmentality Project?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Third Pancakes: The Syruping.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Am I the only one who thinks this makes absolute sense? She might not have slippers and she'd certainly not wear anyone else's. And she wouldn't like to fill Marigold's floor with the outside filth. She just had to compromise and probably holding on to freak out in her shower, when she's scrubbing herself furiously to get rid of whatever the hell is on that floor.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Consider that this is not just Marigold's kitchen. Angus probably has set some hygiene standards. Also Momo lives there, and while she doesn't eat, she's probably more than willing to help Angus enforce those minimum hygiene standards.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

I don't believe Marigold's kitchen is messy. Hanners seems well adapted to the fact that Mar-bear is not a very clean person. (Thank you for lying to me.)

I also know that Hannelore is a sandals kind of girl. For someone with hypochondria and a dose of don't touch me, she's always shown a lot of skin. Probably because bare skin signals vulnerability, and Jeph hasn't thought about it much.

I just can't interpret Hanners being barefoot on a surface she did not clean, sanitize, sterilize, and test. It's probably a throwaway art choice, but I can't stop seeing it and asking what does it mean?

I am also wondering what it says about me that this thing was the first thing I noticed. As in, before reading any dialogue, I knew it was Marigold's kitchen, for one. I know the kitchens we've been to at a glance. That, right there suggests I need a hobby and some friends. Then I noticed Hannelore's state of dress.  Then I read the comic.

On the up side, I didn't notice that Marigold was two inches short in panel one until someone else mentioned it.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Banners? Auto cow wreck?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

questionablydiscontent

• Balloon animal serial killer

Marigold, I wonder if Angus' girlfriend would like to sub in for him. You and Faye can bond over missing him.

stingray

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Resurrected a long dead account after lurking for a while because of this post. Wire you continuing such a horrible line of puns?

Blackbird

First, I'm calling return of Raven for Marigold's roommate again.  If I say it enough times, it comes true.  That's how the world works, right? Right? Guys...?

Second, why does it seem like some forumgoers think Angus and Marigold live in Marten, Faye, and Hannelore's building? I thought they lived in a different building a short walk away.

Third, what do these electrical puns have it common with Clinton?  No it's not that they're annoing! Silly voices in my head.  It's that they both have a transistor. (  :claireface: )

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Third, what do these electrical puns have it common with Clinton?  No it's not that they're annoing! Silly voices in my head.  It's that they both have a transistor. (  :claireface: )

If they're taking votes, my vote is you win the thread.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

And the Prize for winning the best pun is the same as winning The Lottery....

(by Shirley Jackson)
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

I don't think she knows. NOBODY TELL HER! We don't want to freak her out!
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

ItsNotATumor

• Not quite a lurker
  • Eat any good books lately?

HAHA! That was an outstanding pun!

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Yes. Joule go home with the prize, for sure.

who?

• Not quite a lurker
  • what?

Yes. Joule go home with the prize, for sure.

Now you're just getting caloried away

Smallest

• Curry sauce

First, I'm calling return of Raven for Marigold's roommate again.  If I say it enough times, it comes true.  That's how the world works, right? Right? Guys...?

I forgot about her. Raven doesn't seem like she's in town to stable-ly, but on the other hand she's got money I think so she could probably keep covering rent.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

That is Hannelore's kitchen. Head back to 2683.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Iristindhe

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

What does Marigold actually do for a living, again? Gotta get the money for her half of the rent somewhere, but I can't seem to recall any mention of an actual job...

...ad revenues from playing games online?  :psyduck:

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Webmaster for her dad, IIRC.

And Hannelore's kitchen is a different color.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

She's an IT head for her dad's online shoe sales website. Her dad pays her, probably a monthly fee based out of the sales figures of the website.

And comic: The Little Light Bulb is slowly turning on over Marigold.

Prediction: Dale moves in by next Monday.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And Hannelore's kitchen is a different color.

Not quite. It's the same color for the cabinets. The fridge moves around, though - but so did the one in Marten & Faye's place.
Just another Joe like 46

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

She's an IT head for her dad's online shoe sales website. Her dad pays her, probably a monthly fee based out of the sales figures of the website.

And comic: The Little Light Bulb is slowly turning on over Marigold.

Prediction: Dale moves in by next Monday.

I think that Dale moving in is a bit premature, but barring a new character for a roommate, it's also the least contrived scenario if she's going to have someone else picking up the rent. I also don't think Jeph's sadistic enough to do a week's worth of strips with Marigold going through the rest of her social circle and getting turned down by all of them before she gets to Dale.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I still kinda think Momo would be a logical choice (Momo wants more space and to gain the rights and responsibilities of an adult human), but it looks like Marigold is probably going to make the mistake of moving in with Dale...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Blackbird

Webmaster for her dad, IIRC.

I thought she did web design/upkeep/etc. as a freelancer and her dad was just one of her clients.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Comic's up.

Well, Hannelore went ahead and said it.  :facepalm:

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I still kinda think Momo would be a logical choice (Momo wants more space and to gain the rights and responsibilities of an adult human), but it looks like Marigold is probably going to make the mistake of moving in with Dale...

Momo would be a logical choice, too (but technically already a roommate). She could pay toward the rent over and above what she's paying towards the new chassis, presuming she's not already contributing to the rent.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marigold, that's not a good way to pick a roommate.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Well. I didn't see that coming.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Is it just me, or is the pace of the storytelling a bit more brisk lately? I like it.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

I think Marigold is going to ask Dale to move in, and Dale will quite sensibly say "no, its too soon."

and their first (in relationship) fight will happen.

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication

"and preferably tall."

Classic roommate quality.

Blackbird

"and preferably tall."

Classic roommate quality.

You need someone who can reach the stuff on the high shelves, after all.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

And help with the cleaning. A friend of my wife's visited and said she could tell by the state of the house that we're both short.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Read as far as the third panel before I facepalmed and thought: "She's describing Dale. Here we bloody go." Then I read the last and Hanners agreed. Looks like this is happening. Mistakes, ahoy!
Mistakes, ahoy!

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Read as far as the third panel before I facepalmed and thought: "She's describing Dale. Here we bloody go." Then I read the last and Hanners agreed. Looks like this is happening. Mistakes, ahoy!
Quote from: Charles Montgomery Burns
Excellent. *Steeples fingers.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

Relationship arguments off the starboard bow!

I think that Marigold will seek the advice of Marten  and maybe Hanners while Dale of the other CoD employees.
Main characters for this arc: Marigold/Dale/Hanners/Faye(?)
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up