Spathe Ham, Bacon, Waffles and Flat Whites
- 7 (6.8%)
Whatever
- 6 (5.8%)
ClaireMomJob
- 2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2826-2830 (03 - 07 November 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 60429 times)

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Another incredibly well researched post from AprilArcus. You are amazing; thank you for being here.  8-)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Skinny is a derogatory term for Somalis so likely best not to use it outside of discussions of Black Hawk Down.

Going with April's analysis of one of the first major otherkin films. Could poseidon going all out for a wedding be considered negative? A reestablishment of parental control, etc..
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Going with April's analysis of one of the first major otherkin films. Could poseidon going all out for a wedding be considered negative? A reestablishment of parental control, etc..

I don't see that at all.

Sebastian: Like I always say, Your Majesty, "children have got to be free to lead their own lives."
Triton: You always say that, Sebastian?
Sebastian: [nervous] Tee-hee.
Triton: Well I guess there's one problem left.
Sebastian: And what's that, Your Majesty?
Triton: How much I'm going to miss her.

Triton has just barely survived the consequences of his overbearing authoritarianism spiraling out of control, and in the wake of being saved by a human's bravery, has completely renovated his parenting philosophy and racial politics. He's too in shock to be anything but utterly genuine in this moment.

There is some unfortunate storytelling in Ariel's relegation to the role of damsel in distress during the finale (saved from Ursula by Triton only to be saved from her again by Eric minutes later), only somewhat mitigated by her earlier active role in rescuing Eric from Ursula/Vanessa's designs, and the usual problematic Disney tropes of absent mother figure and female protagonists motivated only by the men in their lives, but Triton's character arc taken by itself is a clear progression from controlling bigot to tolerant and mature parent.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2014, 14:33 by AprilArcus »

GarandMarine

• Awakened

This whole conversation makes me crave sushi.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

You're right. A salmon roe roll is calling to me, calling to me I say! Luckily it's on the other line while my wallet discusses the concept of emptiness
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

Woah, now folks. Until she actually breaks into song, Claire is just another girl who's fallen victim to Disney's marketing department.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

She is, specifically, Ariel, whose trans status is barely subtext:

Very good dear. And now what do you see in this inkblot?
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Skinny is a derogatory term for Somalis so likely best not to use it outside of discussions of Black Hawk Down.

And Starship Troopers surely?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Down here Skinny is a no frills prepaid Mobile Phone Service.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

She is, specifically, Ariel, whose trans status is barely subtext:

Fellow goes in for some psychological testing and the doctor pulls out the ol' inkblot. First one, guy says: "Man and woman having sex." Second one: "Two guys having sex." Third: "Two ladies having sex and the dog is watching." Fourth -- well, you get the idea. And the examiner says, "Mr. Smith, you have a preoccupation with sex" And Mr. Smith replies: "I'm preoccupied? You're the one with a desk drawer full of dirty pictures!"

EDIT to correct the effin' spellcheck.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2014, 03:17 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Comic! More squeee.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

Why am I grinning like an idiot? They're fictional dammit there's no reason to... sooooooo cute. Seriously this is nice representation of... omygosh most adorable thing ever. But their body language shows... 20% cuter!

I give up.

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Dammit, Jeph, are you TRYING to kill us all?  Because I can't handle the cute!
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

D'awwwwwwwww

Warning - while you were typing a new d'awww has been posted. You may wish to review your d'awww.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Filler strips shouldn't feel this good.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I think I've been reading Dumbing of Age too much lately. I now assume that this much squee is about to be followed by something really horrible.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Gahh! Cute overload!
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

davedig

• Plantmonster

I might be on edge over nothing but...this isn't the final strip is it?

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

I dunno. Try hitting the right arrow key on your keyboard.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

Nope. Too many loose ends to end it here. Lest you forget: Steampaddler Fangus floundering, the Svenectomy, Marigold needs a roommate, Veronica and Jim will have more dates in the future, and there's a singing dildo on the loose that Pintsize and Winslow need to wrangle.

And May is still a new character that Jeph will presumably do things with in the future.

That said, a one-panel comic like this would have me worrying if these unresolved plot threads weren't around.
Mistakes, ahoy!

davedig

• Plantmonster

Yeah I guess that is too much. I think this would be my ideal final page so that's why I went 'oh no is it over already!?'

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Yeah I guess that is too much. I think this would be my ideal final page so that's why I went 'oh no is it over already!?'

I know what you mean.  Obviously, I want this to go on for another 5000 strips, but this would also be the perfect one to end it on.

At least we have the weekend before it's updated again.  *refreshes page* d'awwww.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

I feel something this cute this can only end badly....dooooooooom

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Silence, knave!

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Now, now. Nobody here is a knave. We are an anarcho-syndicalist commune.

davedig

• Plantmonster

Is this where my fear of Delilah coming back is coming from?

PopuluxeCowboy

• Plantmonster

That image of the two of them hand in hand and smiling just makes me feel really good about this relationship. Like this is something positive for both of them, and it's going to last, and that makes me happy.

If people want some relationship anguish, there's still Faye and Angus to wallow in.

techkid

• Disqualified from the human race for shoving

My reactions to the comic, a comparison:

2808: Aww, my heart is melting...
2830: MY HEART IS MELTING! OH MY GOD!

Warning - while you were undergoing coronary failure a new heart has been harvested. You may wish to contact your cardiologist.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Is this where my fear of Delilah coming back is coming from?

Along with Vicky, Padma, Dora, Faye, and Cosette.  Lt. Potter also shows up, but eventually enters a triad relationship with Elliot and Bob.

Comic Strip Critic

• Not quite a lurker
  • I read the funny pages in search of awesome.
    • My YouTube Page!

Why am I grinning like an idiot? They're fictional dammit there's no reason to... sooooooo cute. Seriously this is nice representation of... omygosh most adorable thing ever. But their body language shows... 20% cuter!

I give up.

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

It is cute, yes, and maybe it's just me, but this is more calm. More content. It's quieter than a squee. It's more like a warm fire under a blanket late at night.

So basically what I'm saying is still squee, but a different flavor.
I talk about comic strips and webcomics on the Internet.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Nope. Too many loose ends to end it here. Lest you forget: Steampaddler Fangus floundering, the Svenectomy, Marigold needs a roommate, Veronica and Jim will have more dates in the future, and there's a singing dildo on the loose that Pintsize and Winslow need to wrangle.

And May is still a new character that Jeph will presumably do things with in the future.

That said, a one-panel comic like this would have me worrying if these unresolved plot threads weren't around.

And Deathmřle needs to play a show, and Faye's nascent sculpture career needs follow-up, and Dora hasn't really worked through any of her interpersonal issues, and I really hope Momo gets to have a relationship arc, and I need a page of half-dressed Claire and Marten being adorable in bed together.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS

I see the end of time itself, the unfathomable void coming to take us all.

IA NYARLATHOTEP!  THE BLACK GOAT OF THE WOODS WITH A THOUSAND YOUNG CREEPS INTO MY DREAMS TO STEAL YOUR SOULLLLLS.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I need a page of half-dressed Claire and Marten being adorable in bed together.

Or a sleeping montage (which I can't seem to find at the moment, but there are at least two of them) showing various characters and couples in bed, although this fan-art is probably what we'll see from M&C.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Is it me or does anyone else just see some random ink on a piece of paper?
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

davedig

• Plantmonster

I need a page of half-dressed Claire and Marten being adorable in bed together.

Or a sleeping montage (which I can't seem to find at the moment, but there are at least two of them) showing various characters and couples in bed, although this fan-art is probably what we'll see from M&C.

Oh darn I was looking through old strips a few hours ago and spotted one. In a little while Faye will be by herself and Martin and Claire will be together. Cosette's snoring will still keep Steve up while he has cereal.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Oh darn I was looking through old strips a few hours ago and spotted one. In a little while Faye will be by herself and Martin and Claire will be together. Cosette's snoring will still keep Steve up while he has cereal.

If memory serves, the first strip has Marten and Dora (with Marten awake and sighing), Faye and Sven (Faye sighing), Penelope (sighing, missing Wil), and Hanners and Pintsize (Pintsize sighing, Hanners telling him to go away). 

The second one has Faye and Angus (I think?), Dora and Tai snuggling, Cosette snoring and keeping Steve awake, and Marten and Pintsize ("Would you rather be the bigger spoon?").

Now that I remember the details of the first one, I think I can find it.  Still not sure where the second one is.

Edit: The first one is 1328.
Edit edit: The second one is 2554 (with thanks to davedig)

A new one could include Faye alone, Marigold and Dale, [FREE SPACE], and Marten and Claire.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2014, 20:36 by Gladstone »

davedig

• Plantmonster

tragic_pizza

• Board Certified Curmudgeon

Is it me or does anyone else just see some random ink on a piece of paper?
You are not alone.
[21:19] andy: Mai, I am sorry, I am going to say this outright that I would doeverything in my power to try and have sweet girl love with you.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Found the second!
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2554

Aha!  Knew it had to be somewhere before 2600 when the layout changed but I just could. not. find it.  Thanks!

davedig

• Plantmonster

Perhaps the Free Space panel could be for Clinton and his robo hand?

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Marigold and Dale (happy), Veronica and Jim (happy), Marten and Claire (happy happy happy), Faye and Pintsize (punches).

(Why yes, we are outlining future comics, what of it?)

GarandMarine

• Awakened

And Starship Troopers surely?

A given of course.

Estron

• Emoticontraindication
  • Old-fart QC aficionado

I sit in absolute awe of AprilArcus.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I don't like emoticons but will consider installing something to represent "Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

IA NYARLATHOTEP!  THE BLACK GOAT OF THE WOODS WITH A THOUSAND YOUNG CREEPS INTO MY DREAMS TO STEAL YOUR SOULLLLLS.
You're thinking Shub-Niggurath
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

NemoX

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lonely nobody

Sort of reminds you of this http://wellbehavedmormonwoman.blogspot.com/2014/02/movie-frozen-gay-homosexual-agenda.html#.VFxU9zSH-NA doesn't it?

I could say "people see what they want to see".

It seems in this forum people like to overanalyze and just contemplate alternative interpretations of things. Which is fine, it's their right. Same as its this woman's right to express what she believes to be true. But while here its done in good fun, I don't think she realizes how closed minded her perception of the world and that movie is, and how hurtful it can be.

"Reality, is that which , when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

While I respect her right to belief things and have a different opinion, I still find it appalling that such way of thinking is still a thing and they won't face reality.

In regards to today's comic...I already stated yesterday how I thought their hand-holding was way too cute. Now this....

squeeee :P
"Wit is educated insolence" - Aristotle

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS

You're thinking Shub-Niggurath.

Him too.  Its an elder god party in my brain.  And the whole world is invited!

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Sort of reminds you of this http://wellbehavedmormonwoman.blogspot.com/2014/02/movie-frozen-gay-homosexual-agenda.html#.VFxU9zSH-NA doesn't it?

Frozen does have a queer subtext. And Mulan has an overtly trans masculine text. It's not exactly a reach. If "Questionable Content" had an east Asian trans guy character engaged in a simmering romance with, say, straight guy beefcake Steve, expressed through contests of strength and daring-do, I would have certainly pointed that out. But alas, it doesn't. And QC's blonde-haired Scandinavian bisexual character predates Elsa, so if anything it's "Frozen" that's referencing "QC".

But that's neither here nor there. I pointed out "The Little Mermaid"'s trans subtext to illuminate an interesting visual parallel to people who might not have picked up on it otherwise, not to shame trans people for existing or Disney for telling our stories. The comparison really hurts my feelings.

I know that valkygrrl doesn't care for my flavor of feminism or my gender politics. We've talked about it in private to the extent that that was useful, and I would like to think that these are things that reasonable people can disagree about. Why take potshots? If something I said upset you, just say so plainly and let's see if we can't come to an understanding.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up