Who Alice REALLY is.
- 18 (39.1%)
The price of Hats in wherever.
- 7 (15.2%)
Wherever this place is.
- 14 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Alice Grove MCDT - November 2014  (Read 71591 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: Alice Grove MCDT - November 2014
« Reply #50 on: 11 Nov 2014, 19:40 »

At least he doesn't have his hackles up and isn't hissing
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #51 on: 11 Nov 2014, 20:11 »

I just noticed his tail is up; does that mean he's happy?  He doesn't look happy.
He probably needs to have his tail up to shit a brick.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #52 on: 12 Nov 2014, 06:03 »

At least he doesn't have his hackles up and isn't hissing

He seems more likely to be a monkey-boy than a cat-boy. I'd expect him to be using a primate threat gesture - barring his teeth and frowning - if he was actually that scared.

He's more puzzled than anything else, I think. It helps that the crowd doesn't seem to be acting hostile in any way. Even Alice looks puzzled, which suggests she isn't too sure what's going on. I'm think that it's just a typical crowd come to look at the freak from out-of-town.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #53 on: 12 Nov 2014, 08:00 »

I think they both look more worried than puzzled.

Channelore HellicottAtham

• Plantmonster
  • OH GOD THERE IS A HAND INSIDE ME AAAAAAAAAUGH
« Reply #54 on: 13 Nov 2014, 16:06 »

This comic moves so excruciatingly slowly.. I feel it'll take forever for us to learn anything of these characters. Or, on the other hand, perhaps storylines will evolve faster relative to number of strips than storylines in QC would, just to get the story out in a reasonable time frame. Maybe three strips a week would be a nice compromise, as currently it already feels forever since strip 1 this week!  :-\

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #55 on: 13 Nov 2014, 17:48 »

It doesn't move that slowly, it just feels like that because of the two a week schedule.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #56 on: 13 Nov 2014, 22:08 »

Not every comic can update on an every day schedule, this 2 week one seems to move at the same pace as any other. I read plenty of comics that update once a week, now those can get aggravatingly slow, especially during filler comics.

Not every author can match Dave Willis' pace (10 comics a week if you count shortpacked and DoA + a 3 month buffer of completed comics). That'd be unreasonable.

"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #57 on: 13 Nov 2014, 23:03 »

alicegrove.com still takes me to the tumblr page; if everyone else is getting the real website and that's where new updates are going, somebody please tell me.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #58 on: 13 Nov 2014, 23:07 »

alicegrove.com still takes me to the tumblr page; if everyone else is getting the real website and that's where new updates are going, somebody please tell me.

The last one I got was the 6th and there should be one tomorrow. I think is what's up with that.

Channelore HellicottAtham

• Plantmonster
  • OH GOD THERE IS A HAND INSIDE ME AAAAAAAAAUGH
« Reply #59 on: 14 Nov 2014, 01:49 »

It does seem super duper extra long this time; I keep returning to the page and refreshing, but alas, in vain. Jeph posted on Twitter that Alice for the 13th was already drawn up and ready to go, so he must be delayed in sending it up. I think he's been travelling though. Guess I've been spoiled by QC's regular updates, so Alice seems to go a long time between drinks even when it isn't delayed! :cry:

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #60 on: 14 Nov 2014, 02:06 »

The current guess is that Jeph is sick and can't update his pages.
~~~~

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #61 on: 14 Nov 2014, 05:34 »

New strip up!

Okay, that was totally out of left field and it explains the 'Witch' reference earlier on very neatly. I'm more certain than ever that Alice is special. Is she the town's Guardian Angel (either literally or figuratively by the simple fact of her nature and behaviour)? Is she the protector of this town and its environs?

I'm thinking the 'bubble world' scenario is getting more and more likely with Alice being either an Agent of the System or the an AI caretaker/protector unit.

My opinion of Ardent has totally changed. His reaction shows that he is actually a lot more mature and sensible than he lets on. He knows that this is no ordinary tour guide!
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2014, 05:58 by BenRG »
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #62 on: 14 Nov 2014, 05:51 »

I actually chuckled at the point that all the people were there to talk to Alice, and nobody paid a bit of attention to Ardent. :)

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #63 on: 14 Nov 2014, 06:17 »

I actually think that Ardent's face says something on the lines of "Delicate balance my ASS you motherfucker."
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #64 on: 14 Nov 2014, 07:59 »

Alice is a fixer. She fixes things. Anything, from sore arms to wind generators.

Which brings us to my insane, obviously-wrong version of the bubble-world scenario: Alice is playing an RPG. A fully-immersive game on a Star-Trek style holodeck. It's one of those games where the hero has to perform a million little sub-quests to get the main quest accomplished. "Need the long-lost whatchamadoodle? Sure, but it's at the bottom of the old mine. You'll need to get the mine elevator working to get down there. For that, you'll need electricity. There's an old wind generator, but it hasn't worked in years. Maybe if you could get it working again..."

It would also explain how she wasn't hurt when she fell - the holodeck safeguards are turned on, and for once are actually working:psyduck:

Ardent is a rogue element in the game that Alice suspects isn't supposed to be there. Whether he's another player who hacked in or the avatar of a virus is yet to be determined. However, Alice has to consider that there's a chance Ardent may actually be part of the game, and so she has to deal with him as such. But she'll also keep a close watch on him and try to eliminate him if he's there to mess up her game.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #65 on: 14 Nov 2014, 09:21 »

I'd like to point out how everyone's heads bowed with respect, their eyes and faces are particularly grateful, somewhat humble...

... and Alice herself just looks bored. Arms crossed over chest - and we know from QC Jeph is really good at subtle body language to tell a story - means she's not just bored, but might even be slightly irritated. Like; "Yeah, I did that, why are you bringing it up? Why are you making a big deal of this?"

So here's the thing - why? Is it just because she's frustrated dealing with Ardent, or is it something else?

Something much more else?
oh god

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #66 on: 14 Nov 2014, 09:27 »

So here's the thing - why? Is it just because she's frustrated dealing with Ardent, or is it something else?

No so much bored but angry and embarrassed, I think. She is doing what she should be doing, what any moral being would do, and really doesn't like the way the townsfolk treat her like a wizard or a deity.
~~~~

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #67 on: 14 Nov 2014, 09:54 »

No so much bored but angry and embarrassed, I think. She is doing what she should be doing, what any moral being would do, and really doesn't like the way the townsfolk treat her like a wizard or a deity.

Maybe, but the thank yous in panels 2, 3 and 4 are for things the average person probably couldn't do, moral or not.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #68 on: 14 Nov 2014, 10:00 »

I actually think that Ardent's face says something on the lines of "Delicate balance my ASS you motherfucker."

Well, every set of scales has to have some kind of operator to decide what goes in each pan.

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #69 on: 14 Nov 2014, 10:17 »

The "holodeck" scenario posited by Zebediah makes the most sense to me thus far. There seems to be a subtle hint of it in the penultimate panel when the kid asks if it's true that Alice can make the sun come out. That seems to indicate a controlled environment that Alice has placed herself at the head of, and it's possible that this is some experiment to see how far AIs can become "self aware." In usual holodeck scenarios, no one is aware of anything - Data as Sherlock Holmes, for example. No one in those scenarios seemed to think it odd that "Holmes" had yellowish skin and yellow eyes spoke without a British accent, etc. If the kid associates Alice with making the sun come out, the AIs in her experiment might be starting to become self aware.

But this doesn't explain Ardent or Alice's initial reaction to him. He was sleeping for quite a long time before the stick came out. If Alice knew immediately that a blue boy in red skivvies with a tail wasn't part of the scenario, why seem so baffled at the outset? She only became annoyed once Ardent started saying he was from outer space. She seemed okay enough with him while he was asleep and even when he woke and introduced himself.

Also a possibility? Alice is a member of the Q continuum.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #70 on: 14 Nov 2014, 10:20 »

Am I the only one to whom the deed mentioned in panel 4 is the most impressive of the lot? Sounds like Granny Weatherwax level of headology witchcraft, to me.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #71 on: 14 Nov 2014, 10:52 »

That little boy worried me. His mum seemed terrified of Alice. Rumour can go a long way but Alice's dismissive reaction was disturbingly detached from a normal person's reaction to a frightened child.
~~~~

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #72 on: 14 Nov 2014, 10:57 »

Possibility (largely arrived at in the last thirty seconds while staring into space and trying to decide where to eat lunch):  Alice is an AI in prison, and she's not going to be released until she can demonstrate an appropriate level of empathy with humans.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #73 on: 14 Nov 2014, 12:11 »

The only thing going against the "holodeck" scenario with Alice as the protagonist/gamer/whatever is that we've already seen two scenes from the POV of people other than Alice. The farmer and Jack discovering Ardent, and Jack running to get Alice. That doesn't rule out a bubble universe, or even just an isolated community, with Alice as a visitor, of course.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #74 on: 14 Nov 2014, 12:29 »

"Any form of technology significantly advanced enough can only be explained in the terms of magic."
James The Kugai 

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #75 on: 14 Nov 2014, 12:53 »

"Any form of technology significantly advanced enough can only be explained in the terms of magic."

Like the shakeweight

Eternal_Newbie

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #76 on: 15 Nov 2014, 05:16 »

I don't think its a simulation, I think Alice like Blue Boy (forget his name) is a visitor from a post scarcity society. It's quite possible she made some serious mistakes when she first arrived, caused some serious disruptions and stayed (or was forced to stay) to clean up her mess.
"Microsoft Kills Santa Claus" - The Register

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #77 on: 16 Nov 2014, 08:44 »

That little boy worried me. His mum seemed terrified of Alice. Rumour can go a long way but Alice's dismissive reaction was disturbingly detached from a normal person's reaction to a frightened child.

I don't think frightened and terrified come into it at all. The people are in Awe. Mom is telling the boy not to bother Alice because she is an important personage. Awe can turn to frightened if awe is abused, but the people talking to her seem to like her for helping at this point. Of course, people suck and will turn on her at the drop of a hat, but there ya go. It's a fine line, I tells ya, a fine line!
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #78 on: 16 Nov 2014, 09:54 »

So men wear long sleeves and women wear short (or in the case of Alice, no) sleeves?

What does that mean?

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #79 on: 16 Nov 2014, 11:26 »

I don't think frightened and terrified come into it at all. The people are in Awe. Mom is telling the boy not to bother Alice because she is an important personage. Awe can turn to frightened if awe is abused, but the people talking to her seem to like her for helping at this point. Of course, people suck and will turn on her at the drop of a hat, but there ya go. It's a fine line, I tells ya, a fine line!
Agreed. They're awestruck.

I take it she doesn't go into town too often. If she did, the crowd of people eager to thank her would be smaller. Or larger, if her going to town more often would mean her doing things for more people. Hrmm...
Mistakes, ahoy!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #80 on: 16 Nov 2014, 19:27 »

So men wear long sleeves and women wear short (or in the case of Alice, no) sleeves?
What about the kid in the penultimate panel?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #81 on: 16 Nov 2014, 19:53 »

The Alice Grove equivalent of short pants?
James The Kugai 

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #82 on: 17 Nov 2014, 17:06 »

It looks like women and children wear short sleeves, only grown men wear full sleeves.
Don't mind me.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #83 on: 17 Nov 2014, 17:09 »

I think we've seen too small a sample to make such a generalized statement.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #84 on: 17 Nov 2014, 22:08 »

I don't even know anymore.  :psyduck: Alice seems at least as extraterrestrial in her understanding of things as Argent, even if a bit more mature about it.
Mistakes, ahoy!

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #85 on: 17 Nov 2014, 23:06 »

Do I sense a slight softening of her attitude toward him in the last panel?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #86 on: 17 Nov 2014, 23:47 »

Do I sense a slight softening of her attitude toward him in the last panel?

I'm not sure about that but she is obviously not totally humourless. She recognised the absurdity of Ardent's words and responded with the appropriate level of mockery!

So... "You're with me, so it's none of their business", eh? Curiouser and curiouser, as another little Alice might say...
~~~~

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #87 on: 18 Nov 2014, 00:17 »

Hah,first he stink palms her, now he's mooning her!

Such a rude alien.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #88 on: 18 Nov 2014, 13:24 »

It's a fine caudal appendage.
James The Kugai 

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #89 on: 19 Nov 2014, 01:43 »

So she is indeed a witch - in the Terry Pratchett sense of the word. Huh.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #90 on: 19 Nov 2014, 18:34 »

I don't know what that means.

By the way, when she speaks of the primitives, does anyone else get the feeling she means "everyone but me"?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #91 on: 19 Nov 2014, 18:59 »

Pratchet's witches (and wizards) are vastly powerful, but almost never use their power. Wizards because they can't their heads out of...Erm...

The witches don't because it's just plain wasteful and wouldn't work anyway (Sound and fury signifying nothing. Typically the more powerful a thing is on the Diskworld, the less useful it is. Unless it's the bad guy. Or the Luggage.). Witches, in general, deal in practical knowledge and psychology to get what they need done.

Because of the latter, witches tend to get something of a pass when weird stuff happens around them. Because, witch. If people are concerned about a thing, and witch is involved, it's best to let her deal with it. Because she's not going to give you a straight answer most likely. Or she'll give you such a straight answer your mind will be twisted in knots. And then you'll have to join the quest, and probably still won't understand what's going on.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #92 on: 20 Nov 2014, 00:37 »

The psychology being less "you are not being chased by a monster" and more "here is a club, stand and fight".
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #93 on: 20 Nov 2014, 17:43 »

I'm ready for another comic, but afraid Jeph's gone to once a week...

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #94 on: 20 Nov 2014, 20:38 »

mmmm butts. So, is genetic engineering/body modification common where Ardent comes from?

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #95 on: 20 Nov 2014, 22:06 »

Alice

If looks could kill.
James The Kugai 

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #96 on: 20 Nov 2014, 22:11 »

Fat bottomed girls you make the other rockin' worlds go 'round!
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #97 on: 20 Nov 2014, 23:42 »

Yep, Ardent is clearly the sort of tourist who is on the pull! Alice is not pleased with that at all!

Actually, looking at panel 1, she doesn't look too happy with Ardent talking with Jack either! She obviously can't stop him right now but I don't think she's happy with him interacting with the 'natives'.

BTW, I think that they're going to Alice's place. I doubt that she'd let him crash anywhere else; she wants to keep an eye on him!
~~~~

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #98 on: 21 Nov 2014, 00:01 »

So we can now assume that Ardent is a "butts" person. Which considering how interested he was with Alice looking at his tail, makes complete sense.

(click to show/hide)
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #99 on: 21 Nov 2014, 21:05 »

I don't know what that means.

By the way, when she speaks of the primitives, does anyone else get the feeling she means "everyone but me"?

She is accusing Ardent of regarding the locals as primitives. Herself included, no doubt.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up