Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 04 Apr 2020, 05:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chimaira  (Read 18611 times)

Hostile

Chimaira
« on: 19 Dec 2004, 17:46 »

Chimaira are one of THE hottest metal bands right now. They're on the verge of being nu-metal, but not quite. They're nice and heavy, the way metal should be, with more aggression and angst than a bloodied wrist.

http://www.chimaira.com/

Here's an MP3 from their 2nd-newest album. It's the only one I can be bothered to upload.

If you like overly aggressive metal, you should check this band out.

Oh, and their DVD is fucking excellent.

Video to one of their best songs, Power Trip.

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2004, 18:00 »

I liked the MP3. I keep hearing their name but I've never actualy heard any of their material. I might have to track some more down now

Korlin

Chimaira
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2004, 18:13 »

Saw them live, they were very good. Got my head banging at least, and the bodies flying.

Metal Moses indeed...

Hostile

Chimaira
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2004, 18:20 »

Quote from: Korlin
Saw them live, they were very good. Got my head banging at least, and the bodies flying.

Metal Moses indeed...

Ooooh, you saw a wall of death? Lucky sod. :D

devils_daughter: I wouldn't mind uploading their newest album to an FTP, if that kind of discussion is allowed around here...

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2004, 18:26 »

Quote from: Hostile

devils_daughter: I wouldn't mind uploading their newest album to an FTP, if that kind of discussion is allowed around here...

Um at risk of showing my total technological ignorance..what's FTP?

Hostile

Chimaira
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2004, 18:32 »

Quote from: devils_daughter

Um at risk of showing my total technological ignorance..what's FTP?

File Transfer Protocol, it's a web host basically... I'll upload the album within the week, and PM you with the URL.

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2004, 18:42 »

That would be cool thanks. I haven't got a damn clue what a web host it either (you might have worked out by now that besides getting online I'm terrible with computers!) but I'll sort out all the probs when the URL's posted.

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2004, 18:45 »

Suddenly remembered that I think PM's are still disabled here. Try emailing it ( [email protected] )

Malphas

Chimaira
« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2004, 00:29 »

Sorry, but Chimaira is a bit too nu-metal for my tastes.  :(

3Z3VH

• FIGHT YOU
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
Chimaira
« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2004, 09:09 »

I like Chimera better, mostly because I am not huge into metal. ;)
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

Hostile

Chimaira
« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2004, 17:12 »

Quote from: Malphas

And Black's a bit too flat for my tastes. Isn't Metal a crazy genre? You dont see hip-hop having this many branches, or dance music.

Korlin

Chimaira
« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2004, 09:18 »

Metal Moses indeed...

Ooooh, you saw a wall of death? Lucky sod. :D

Walls of death are always fun. Seen them at gigs by Amen, Chimaira, Caliban, lostprophets and a couple of other bands. The Chimaira one was great, although a lot of people went down which does tend to slow things down a bit...

Hostile

Chimaira
« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2004, 19:25 »

lostprophets? seriously? was it like an Emo Wall of Death, where everyone hangs their heads and slowly sulks into a mope-pit? ;)

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2004, 19:28 »

I saw a lostprophets one..it was surprisingly violent. Korlin ...did you go to reading?

Hostile

Chimaira
« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2004, 19:46 »

Burn Burn, right? That song's great for moshing.

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2004, 19:47 »

I honestly can't remember, we were trying to plan the rest of the day

Korlin

Chimaira
« Reply #16 on: 23 Dec 2004, 05:18 »

I saw a lostprophets one..it was surprisingly violent. Korlin ...did you go to reading?

Yeah, I was around the soundboard during their Reading set. They were excellent, but it was a bit too crammed for the wall to work properly. Didn't think it was quite as good as The Used's the year before which had the accompanying bottle fight...

And yeah, the one I was actually in was when they played Leeds and during Burn Burn the divide formed. It was an awesome surprise, and wonderfully frantic. Not emo at all :D

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #17 on: 23 Dec 2004, 07:55 »

Cool! I didn't see the Used the year before. Hmmm staring at my poster they were on the Sunday...guess we were still sleeping or something.

The wall looked really crowded but still looked pretty violent. Where were you for 50 cent?? That was so funny. After the reaction he got there and being shot 12 times in the past you think the guy would take a hint and crawl into a small corner to die quietly :)

Korlin

Chimaira
« Reply #18 on: 24 Dec 2004, 18:31 »

Cool! I didn't see the Used the year before. Hmmm staring at my poster they were on the Sunday...guess we were still sleeping or something.

The wall looked really crowded but still looked pretty violent. Where were you for 50 cent?? That was so funny. After the reaction he got there and being shot 12 times in the past you think the guy would take a hint and crawl into a small corner to die quietly :)

I was back at the camp site. I just felt it best to avoid the whole thing, and as I saw approx. 30 bands over the weekend I was taking a valuable break. I think the reason he stayed on as long as he did, in part, was probably because to get your fee for playing the festival you have to be on stage at least 15 minutes...

Hostile

Chimaira
« Reply #19 on: 24 Dec 2004, 18:47 »

"I GOT BOTTLED NINE TIMES!!!"

They played Lost Prophets - Burn Burn at the nightclub tonight, and it's the ONLY song that had a mosh pit.

Merry christmas :D

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #20 on: 24 Dec 2004, 18:52 »

Korlin, I can't believe you missed it. I was over by a pizza wagon but my e was in the middle of the crowd. As soon as the backdrop went down people started booing and as soon as he came out, if things weren't attached to people they threw them at him. It was pretty intense to watch

Korlin

Chimaira
« Reply #21 on: 25 Dec 2004, 17:06 »

Korlin, I can't believe you missed it. I was over by a pizza wagon but my e was in the middle of the crowd. As soon as the backdrop went down people started booing and as soon as he came out, if things weren't attached to people they threw them at him. It was pretty intense to watch

Well, I don't like they guy or his music, but I'm not really one for the bottling tradition... Some of the stuff thrown was a bit too dangerous too...

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #22 on: 25 Dec 2004, 17:50 »

I'm not exactly keen on the bottling but it was one of those "must see" things. I was pretty freaked out coz my then bf was right in the middle of it and when things like fucking chairs were being thrown i started to worry bout him. OOOOhhh did you go to the pizza stand to the left of the main stage...mmmm best pizza I've had in years

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #23 on: 25 Dec 2004, 17:50 »

I'm not exactly keen on the bottling but it was one of those "must see" things. I was pretty freaked out coz my then bf was right in the middle of it and when things like fucking chairs were being thrown i started to worry bout him. OOOOhhh did you go to the pizza stand to the left of the main stage...mmmm best pizza I've had in years

Hostile

Chimaira
« Reply #24 on: 26 Dec 2004, 17:43 »

Bottling is lame. If you dont like the music, you CAN just walk away. Free country 'n' all.

That said, at the Download festival, people had bottle-fights just to pass the time inbetween bands. At some times you couldn't go more than 20 seconds without another bottle hitting you. It was absolutely insane.

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #25 on: 26 Dec 2004, 17:53 »

It was pointless cos half the stuff was missing the stage and was hitting security and the crowd!

You went to Download...I'm jealous ;) I wanted to go there this year and last year but couldnt make it last year and my ex really wanted to go to Reading (he'd wanted to see Green Day for well over 6 years so I couldn't exactly deny him that). What was it like there?

Hostile

Chimaira
« Reply #26 on: 26 Dec 2004, 18:19 »

Intense. First time in my life that I really lost all inhibitions and just went crazy. That was the atmosphere: Carelessly insane. The music was excellent, and except for Static-X cancelling, it was perfect. Metallica were incredible with Joey drumming.

You should go to Download 2005. Everyone should. ;)

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #27 on: 26 Dec 2004, 19:48 »

I'd planned to go to Download 05 with my ex (2 years of missing it he'd finally given in) so i might try and go anyway, if I have any cash left after car insurance and Berlin

Sturge

Chimaira
« Reply #28 on: 26 Dec 2004, 19:54 »

Quote from: Malphas

same here, but he has a cool beard...

Hostile

Chimaira
« Reply #29 on: 26 Dec 2004, 20:05 »

I'd planned to go to Download 05 with my ex (2 years of missing it he'd finally given in) so i might try and go anyway, if I have any cash left after car insurance and Berlin

Screw car insurance, this is METAL you nut :p

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #30 on: 26 Dec 2004, 20:07 »

I'm thinkin of selling my car to go to Berlin anyway. If I can forcible drag companions I might have to come

Hostile

Chimaira
« Reply #31 on: 26 Dec 2004, 20:12 »

I'm thinkin of selling my car to go to Berlin anyway. If I can forcible drag companions I might have to come

Since this thread will probably not get back on topic again, I might as well ask, why are you going to Berlin?

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #32 on: 26 Dec 2004, 20:15 »

Seemed like a good idea at the time. Havent been on holiday for a few years, it's cheaper than staying in Britain, me and my friend can speak german (ISH!) plus we've been told there's quite a big goth culture there so I get to spend the week with plenty of eye candy :)

Hostile

Chimaira
« Reply #33 on: 26 Dec 2004, 20:22 »

Seemed like a good idea at the time. Havent been on holiday for a few years, it's cheaper than staying in Britain, me and my friend can speak german (ISH!) plus we've been told there's quite a big goth culture there so I get to spend the week with plenty of eye candy :)

Ah, here comes the envy. Germany's great, apparently. They have legalised prostitution y'know, carefully licensed and very clean. If the Americans had more than 1 brain cell between them, they'd legalise it.

I've heard that about the goths too. Gothic-industrial seems to be the national genre of choice, which certainly beats our Chav-Hop.

You should've timed your visit with the Rock AM Ring festival, I saw it on MTV2 and it looks like an awesome gathering. Oh yeah, and dont mention the war. ;)

devils_daughter

Chimaira
« Reply #34 on: 26 Dec 2004, 20:26 »

We wanted to go to Oktoberfest more than anything but we didn't have the time seeing as my mate will be living in Canada by then. Rock Am Ring would have been fun too

Korlin

Chimaira
« Reply #35 on: 28 Dec 2004, 09:12 »

I'd love to have gone to download, but two festivals in a year might stratch the bank a bit too much... I've been to 40 gigs this year and thats where most of my cash has gone. Reading is a tradition for me and some friends, but maybe if the line-up were stellar/awesome I could be tempted. However, my friend has been raving about the Big Chill this year, and All Tomorrow's Parties looks like a future possibility if next year's line-up is anything like this years...

I've already booked 10 gigs for next year, taking me up to mid-march. Should be blindin' :D

Hostile

Chimaira
« Reply #36 on: 28 Dec 2004, 11:12 »

I'd love to have gone to download, but two festivals in a year might stratch the bank a bit too much... I've been to 40 gigs this year and thats where most of my cash has gone. Reading is a tradition for me and some friends, but maybe if the line-up were stellar/awesome I could be tempted. However, my friend has been raving about the Big Chill this year, and All Tomorrow's Parties looks like a future possibility if next year's line-up is anything like this years...

I've already booked 10 gigs for next year, taking me up to mid-march. Should be blindin' :D

:O Respect.

My mate Will just got back from Chimaira. He says they were awesome, although In Flames were better. Better my arse. In Flames blow and he knows it.

Korlin

Chimaira
« Reply #37 on: 28 Dec 2004, 12:42 »

I'd say In Flames now blow. Their early stuff is quite excellent, circa Clayman, with songs like pinball Map being great metal tunes if you can get used to the vocalists quite odd sound.  But yeah, these days I'd they're a bit more mainstream and their sound doesn't appeal to me as much as it did

Man, that sounded kinda snobbish, didn't it?

Hostile

Chimaira
« Reply #38 on: 28 Dec 2004, 20:48 »

Yeah, but I think that's what metal's often about. ;) The only In Flames song I like is "The Quiet Place". It's pretty beautiful. I've heard most of their big sounds (Cloud Connected, Clayman, etc) and they all sound blunt to me.

There are far worse bands, but when your best friend is crazy about them you tend to argue a lot, which results in an overblown dislike of a decent metal band.;)

Korlin

Chimaira
« Reply #39 on: 29 Dec 2004, 02:23 »

This is true. I've been put off more than one band when certain people rave about them too much... A friend of mine is a big J-Rock fan and although I quite like the genre after talking to her for too long I just want to run away and hide. Fangirls can be scary...
Pages: [1]   Go Up