THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warcraft movie about first Orc invasion  (Read 10495 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Warcraft movie about first Orc invasion
« on: 07 Nov 2014, 15:12 »

Yes!

King Llane Wrynn - Dominic Cooper
Anduin Lothar - Travis Fimmel
Medivh - Ben Foster
Khadgar - Ben Schnetzer

Orgrim Doomhammer - Robert Kazinsky
Durotan - Toby Kebbell
Blackhand - Clancy Brown
Garona - Paula Patton

really hope they don't fuck this up!
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2014, 15:17 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: Warcraft movie about first Orc invasion
« Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2014, 15:37 »

Fear my moo of fury!
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2014, 15:51 »

Is this movie fully CGi (like their brilliant cinematic) or live action? 'Cause for movies like this, I think that maybe going full CGi is the best choice, seeing as so much will be computer visuals anyways.
I dunno..

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #3 on: 07 Nov 2014, 16:49 »

It's a live action film. No doubt heavily CGI'd up, but it's not going to be Blizzard Trailer: The Movie. As much as people would want that.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #4 on: 07 Nov 2014, 17:33 »

Hi there. I'm in.

New movie fan sites. Pick your side.
https://www.fightforthehorde.com/
https://www.fightforthealliance.com/

We should be seeing a trailer soon.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #5 on: 07 Nov 2014, 18:32 »

Trouble is, I'm conflicted. I'm For the Horde! But not this Horde... This is not my Horde. This is the fel-infused, demon driven group of madorcs that destroyed Draenor and tried to do the same to Azeroth. Not the  Horde as it was under Thrall, or Vol'jin.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 09 Nov 2014, 17:55 »

Trouble is, I'm conflicted. I'm For the Horde! But not this Horde... This is not my Horde. This is the fel-infused, demon driven group of madorcs that destroyed Draenor and tried to do the same to Azeroth. Not the  Horde as it was under Thrall, or Vol'jin.

What's World of Warcraft?

*is exclusively a console gamer*

*is exaggerating ignorance ofWoW*
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2014, 08:09 »

Was in the shower this morning going through Warcraft I's canon in my head and I am trying to figure out how the hell are they going to fit all this in one movie.  :psyduck:

I'm with you on that one. I may be for the kingdom of azeroth on this one.  I like the horde reborn over this one.  Though Doomhammer helped curb the demon-craziness.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2015, 07:30 »

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2015, 08:06 »

I just know seeing this movie will make me get back into WoW again...

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2015, 09:42 »

It wouldn't be a bad time. The latest expansion is better than the last two, and a real treat for lore junkies.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2015, 10:04 »

Yeah, I'm really liking this expansion.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2015, 11:01 »

I played it, but got bored again after 2 months or so. That's pretty much my pattern with WoW by now. Ever since WotLK the game doesn't really do it for me anymore, so I just go back to it once a year and play for two or three months until I get bored again..

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2015, 19:01 »

2-3 months a year is still a pretty good chunk of time tho!
I dunno..

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2015, 19:38 »

WoW jumped the shark for me years ago. 

Besides the changes which made the game really bad to my sensibilities, there was the way my guild treated me which still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

hazlett

• Plantmonster
    • webdesign London
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2015, 01:22 »

I like to see the trailer first before giving my opinion.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #17 on: 11 Jul 2015, 19:45 »

Lothar!

I really want to see a trailer now!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #18 on: 02 Nov 2015, 08:35 »

Trailer is in 4 days!!!!!!!!!!

also please don't suck, please don't suck

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #19 on: 02 Nov 2015, 09:25 »

*jumps in a bucket of green paint*

LOKTAR OGAR!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #20 on: 04 Nov 2015, 09:13 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #21 on: 04 Nov 2015, 12:36 »

Teaser Trailer.  Full trailer still coming out Friday...  Not sure how I feel just yet...

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #22 on: 04 Nov 2015, 13:58 »

Graphically, it looks quite good, and I think from that they got a good balance with real life looks inspired by the cartoony Warcraft graphics. Very action packed scenes. It's really going to live and die on the story and acting though.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 06 Nov 2015, 11:34 »

Interesting
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #25 on: 06 Nov 2015, 11:41 »

Anyone else notice green skinned orc females in the charge?  Call the Horde what you want but they seem to be equal opportunity employer.

Sad thing is I know they are stream lining the story so I doubt Gul'dan will be the main villain but Blackhand.  On top of that instead of craving conquest its now a "our planet is dying".  Looks like Ner'zhul showed up once or twice unless, as part of the streamlining, they combined his and Gul'dan's character into one.

This is really going to be like watching a movie after experiencing the book type deal for me, isn't it.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #26 on: 06 Nov 2015, 14:58 »

I feel you there. Even given Blizzards habit of changing their lore on a regular basis, this seems to make even more changes. Notably, many of the orcs are brown skinned. It could be just that they were showing the Frostwolves mostly. The whole 'our planet is dying' was something they changed long ago, but it was their own fault. Overuse of fel energies was destroying Draenor.. It literally split the planet apart and left it as floating chunks in space. I will say that they did fantastic work on the orc CGI. They are very expressive. That's something I had a little bit of fear of. But honestly given the quality of Blizzard's trailers and cutscenes in recent years, I imagine they would accept nothing less for their flagship movie.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #27 on: 06 Nov 2015, 15:43 »

Even from the trailer, it seems as though white and brown aren't too big of an issue, they turn around and go after green (apologies to Pterry on that).  It reminds me of that one zone in BC with all of the brown orcs, who seemed to live a life rather similar to that of the Tauren.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #28 on: 06 Nov 2015, 16:18 »

Right, that's what the orcs were like before they were corrupted by demon blood. They were pretty warlike then still, but it was more 'prove who is the toughest' than 'slaughter everyone'. That's why the women fight right alongside everyone else. To them strength and honor are everything. A good mate for both men and women is someone who is strong and fearless. Then the Burning Legion showed up and through manipulation and promises of even greater glory they bound the tribes together and got most of them to drink demon blood, driving them mad with battle-lust and turning their skins green. Some clans refused to join in. Durotan and the Frostwolves joined, but refused to drink the demon blood. Most likely he's the heroic looking brown orc we keep seeing. Which would make the baby he's holding lil Thrall.

Eventually they got sick of slaughtering the draenei and natives of their world and Gul'dan convinced them he could open a portal to a new world for them to conquer; Azeroth. The massive use of fel energies was destroying their world and making it unsuitable to live on anyway. Eventually shattering it into what is Outland from the Burning Crusade expansion. That is the point of the first Warcraft RTS game, and where this movie takes place, during the first orc invasion. Of course when the game first game out it was nothing more complex than 'humans and orcs fighting'. A lot of the backstory came later. Brown skinned orcs and all that in particular were not invented until Burning Crusade as far as I  know.

This has been your Blizzard Lore Moment by a nerd.  :claireface:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #29 on: 06 Nov 2015, 19:41 »

Just to confirm, yes, that is Durotan and baby green orc is Thrall.

I think the movie looks interesting and the cgi for the orcs looks great.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #30 on: 06 Nov 2015, 20:59 »

Speaking of retcons, every rendition of the games was a retcon.  In WC1 Stormwind was Stonewind and Garona was half human.  Come Warcraft 2 it was changed to storm wind and they wrote out the wolf riders.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #31 on: 06 Nov 2015, 22:07 »

Well, Garona being half human never made any sense. "Hey, we just arrived on this planet and never have seen a human before, but here's an adult halfblood orc/human". I think she's supposed to be half-dranei now... But she doesn't really look like it.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #32 on: 07 Nov 2015, 07:59 »

She does look more soft than built...though in WoW she looks straight up like an orc.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #33 on: 07 Nov 2015, 09:13 »

Well I mean she doesn't have any draenei features to her. I would kind of expect her to have like vestigal horns or head ridge. Maybe a bluish tint to her skin. Rexar is half ogre and he looks it. Garona still looks half-human, even though they changed her origin. That's pretty much how she looks in the Warlords of Draenor expansion as well though... Just kind of like a scaled down orc woman.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #34 on: 18 Mar 2016, 04:29 »

New warcraft trailer is up.  Reminds me of the one for warcraft 3.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #35 on: 29 Mar 2016, 14:36 »

Another new warcraft trailer.  I think I see Doomhammer go green!

All I can think fo right now is "please don't suck. please don't suck. please don't suck."  :psyduck:

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #36 on: 30 Mar 2016, 08:41 »

I'm with you on that sentiment.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #37 on: 30 Mar 2016, 10:44 »

As someone with no attachment to the Warcraft franchise (apart from playing <100 games of HearthStone), I honestly think this movie looks terrible.

I can definitively understand someone that's a big fan of WoW/Warcraft/HSbeing optimistic, but this.. it really doesn't give me many inklings.
I dunno..

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #38 on: 20 Apr 2016, 04:49 »

New Warcraft trailer.  I quite liked it.

maybe its because im a warcraft nerd, but I got to see some more characters clearly (like gul'dan, humans using shield wall, more fighting).  Some people think the music is off putting in the trailer, but I think the marketing dept. had it right, to get you pumped up.

UniqueNewYork

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #39 on: 22 Apr 2016, 06:18 »

Yeah, when I saw the trailer and heard the line "Something dark is coming", all I could think of was "What, you mean the eight gajillion tweens on Barrens chat?"
Data:
>"I will always be puzzled by the human predilection for piloting vehicles at unsafe velocities."
Picard, later:
>"Well, Data, time for some unsafe velocities..."

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #40 on: 22 Apr 2016, 07:34 »

I will be disappointed and totally demand my money back if there is not at least one Chuck Norris reference.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #41 on: 02 Jan 2017, 13:07 »

So I finally saw the Warcraft Movie.
My wife who is not familiar with Warcraft quite liked it.  I also liked it, but felt it had a few missteps.

The exposition dialogue really needed to be reworked.  I understand they were trying to explain the world to the uninitiated viewer, and so exposition is necessary, I just felt like it was handled bad.  My wife would sometimes ask why do they need to go there, or what's the importance of this guy.

For example:
Lothar: To know more about our enemy we need to go to Karazhan.
King: Take my bird.
Khadgar: On no not Karazahn!

Now to a Wow-nerd they know Karazahn had the world guardian Medivh whose job is to save the world.
What should have been said is:
King: Another village was destroyed by these unknown enemies. We should contact the great wizard Medivh. He's charged with protecting the world, he would know what to do. Lothar, take this wizard novice to Karazahn and see if Medivh can gleam any information on these brutes.
Lothar: Its a long journey, could you spare your gryphon? We would get there sooner.
Khadgar: Medivh?! I am not worthy to meet such a great man.
Lothar: Oh don't worry, he's an old friend of ours.  You'll fit in nicely.
Cue awesome gryphon montage.

This way you don't alienate the audience and they can keep up to the story as well as the wow-nerd.  The characters were fine, just the dialogue needed to be reworked.

Now about the characters:
They were fine but I would have changed the focus on certain characters to another just to make the story tighter (especially if they planned a sequel).  For example, the main human character should not have been Lothar.  Instead it should have been Khadgar.  Lothar could have been a big brother character or a mentor. I felt like there were too busy trying to make both the main character (think Anakin and Obi-Wan in Attack of the Clones).  Making it about one of them would have tighten the human story more.  I would do the same thing with the orcs.  Make Ogrim the main character and Durotan the voice of reason and close friend.  This way we see the turmoil of Ogrim picking a side.

I would have also changed the ending a bit.

(click to show/hide)

My only other complaint is what redletter media coined as "a case of the not gays."  This is when a movie will show the sexual orientation of a character so that they can't be confused with being gay.  For a more in depth analysis of what trope I am talking about, click here: https://youtu.be/bIYfr_9Zpwk?t=10m44s
They ended up doing this by making Lothar have a son and talk about how he blamed his son for his wife's death in childbirth.  And in case its still ambiguous he bangs a girl.

Other than those changes and a few lore nitpicks, it wasn't that bad of a movie. It was a 7/10 or 3/5 stars or a C+/B-.  Average but better than any other LotR cop out movie (on par or better than the hobbit movies).  The orcs look great (some of the green ones looked cartoony at times).  (My wife says the Orcs looked REALLY good. They were her favorite part of the movie!) The humans looked warcrafty.  There were high stakes on both sides and it was just an all around fun romp in a fantasy world.  It was definitely a fan made movie but you do not need to be a wow-nerd to necessarily enjoy the movie.  If anything it made my wife curious about the lore and wanted to ask me or look up stuff (especially about Thrall).

Bonus
I had a few nerdgasms:
Grom Hellscream cameos
use of polymorph
Ironforge (with Dwarves)
Arrogant High Elves
Use of soul magic
Use of magic in general
Baby Thrall in general
Draenei cameo
Gamora being the only one to speak human and orc.
Battle Maps!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #42 on: 03 Jan 2017, 11:20 »

...I didn't much care for it, and I was a neophyte to most Warcraft stuff.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up