Tai runs into Steve - Cereal ensues
- 11 (10.7%)
Jeph goes on Vacation - Yelling Bird ensues
- 7 (6.8%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher - The unexpected ensues
- 10 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2835-2839 (17 - 21 November 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 72643 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2014, 20:46 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

At the moment, my guess is that we'll be catching up with Faye and Angus with Faye coming home to find the post-date make-out happening on the couch.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Voted with the heart and not with the head, which almost positively ensures it won't happen. Although a Momo vs May, Super Smash Bros style fight would certainly lighten the mood.

Also, someone wiser than me said a couple WCDTs ago that maybe ms. Augustus was someone VV knew (resulting in the Clarice incident). Would a Veronica / Clairemom meeting really result in embarrassment (if it happens somewhere away from the date)?
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Yeah, errtime I think I know what's going to happen I end up eating crow.  I'll go with the unexpected.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

If I had to put money on something happening (which I won't do because I don't really have that much money to lose) is dorapocalypse with a side of "Is Sven kil?" (dorapocalypse is bound to be INTENSE) and maybe Faye smacking Dora upside the head as last panel on Friday, Leeroy Jethro Gibbs style.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Yeah, errtime I think I know what's going to happen I end up eating crow.  I'll go with the unexpected.

But what if something expected happens now?  You'll break the comic!

I voted for Veronica and Clairemom, but I also agree with BenRG--it's just about time for Angus and Faye to say their goodbyes. Although that might be something that'll happen over Thanksgiving week instead, to give the turkeys something to commiserate about.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

He expects the unexpected, so he'll end up eating crow again.

And on the Faye / Angus situation: That's exactly what I was thinking Gladstone - Dorapocalypse now ( :claireface: ), and steam paddler Fayngus finally crashing at the bottom of Niagara Falls just in time for QCTurkeys.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Bloody hell, I'm so tired of crow.  I agree that Faye and Angus are probably are for the turkeys, though I kinda wonder if the 10 million views line was a setup.  One thousand strips is a long time to wait for a payoff, but if anyone in the business has that kind of patience, it's Jeph.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Ooh, forgot about that.  But this doesn't seem to be failing spectacularly or hilariously yet.  Mostly it just seems resigned to sink without much fanfare.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

NEXT UP: Faye Scornsplodes Angus all the way back to the big city.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

NEXT UP: Faye Scornsplodes Angus all the way back to the big city.

Scorn! The newest in eco-efficent travel!
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

I took a deeper look at my own link and I noticed that Hanners is in shock from the sheer power. Do you think that such scornsplosion could make Angus have to use glasses again?

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am

Might have one comic next week post date but other than that Jeph can leave Claire/Marten to one side for the time being without too much fuss.

Quite like some May/Momo double trouble wacky adventures, May will undoubtedly be a bad influence :)
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I dunno, if Dickmouth Stinkface steps too far out of line, she may have a large shock in store.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gladstone

• The Tickler

That would give a jolt to the current storyli-OHHELLNOTTHISAGAIN.

(Says the guy responsible for the last one.)

(I'm only complaining because my punbattery died and I don't have a charger.)
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2014, 19:27 by Gladstone »

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

You've got Bawls to be trying to start another pun thread.

Endellion

• I pun, therefore I am

Ohm my god not this again  :psyduck:
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

The first time, Gladstone, it was a bolt from the blue. This time, you're trying to push the thread onto the third rail. That's just going to make everyone want to railroad this thread into discussion of the comic instead of puns; counterproductive to your aims.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Hey hey hey, I'm not the live wire here!  Hedgie's the one who provided the outlet. Don't tase me, bro!

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

*Palpatine voice*

By now you must know that hedgie can never be turned from the pun side. So will it be with you.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Actually, I was being quite literal-minded.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer

I'm being pedantic, I know (it's the best kind of -antic), but this thread is mistitled.  Due to the missed comic, this week's comics are 2835-2839, not 2836-2840.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Yup, I stand corrected I Gauss
James The Kugai 

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS

Yup, I stand corrected I Gauss

God Dohm it, we are not starting these electrical puns again.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I'm being pedantic, I know (it's the best kind of -antic), but this thread is mistitled.  Due to the missed comic, this week's comics are 2835-2839, not 2836-2840.

Not to be semantic but I would feel a gigantic bout of frantic worry if I didn't mention all the wonderful kinds of antic as I remember playing in the Atlantic though it may be sycophantic to get romantic with the antics of my younger self.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

You may not like puns about lightning and thunder but there's no need to get all thor about it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

Let's not have any static in here. No one has to rain on any parades. If we all stay grounded, I'm sure we can discharge our responsibility to remain civil.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

You may not like puns about lightning and thunder but there's no need to get all thor about it.

Now you've done it.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Oh Hel, that one brought Tyrs to my eyes.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Endellion

• I pun, therefore I am

Oh, are you attempting to change the nature of the puns? A sif!

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

The thing about Angus is that he's never made any secret of the fact that Northampton is a step on the road to greater things. Faye, on the other hand has been clear from the start that she is happy where she is. They both ignored that and Angus made a joke of it. So, in retrospect, this was always going to be a circle that cannot be squared.

A breakup was inevitable due to this incompatibility. I just want them to part on good terms and the good memories not to be poisoned with bitterness.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Claire really is the main character now. Sorry, Marten.

techkid

• Disqualified from the human race for shoving

The thing about Angus is that he's never made any secret of the fact that Northampton is a step on the road to greater things. Faye, on the other hand has been clear from the start that she is happy where she is. They both ignored that and Angus made a joke of it. So, in retrospect, this was always going to be a circle that cannot be squared.

A breakup was inevitable due to this incompatibility. I just want them to part on good terms and the good memories not to be poisoned with bitterness.

True. Theirs was a good relationship. Even if Faye is not emotionally ready to do a long distance relationship, the least they can do is ensure their friendship stays intact.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

It will be interesting to see how things might play out if Jeph decides to have Angus and Faye meet up - even if it's for one last time before he boards the train.
James The Kugai 

Gladstone

• The Tickler

It will be interesting to see how things might play out if Jeph decides to have Angus and Faye meet up - even if it's for one last time before he boards the train.

I hope so.  I mean, I'm not terribly fond of Angus, but he still deserves a slightly better exit than what Padma got.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

True. Theirs was a good relationship. Even if Faye is not emotionally ready to do a long distance relationship, the least they can do is ensure their friendship stays intact.

I'm going to have to disagree. Angus pestered Faye, at work- until she went out with him. Leaving aside all other considerations, contemptible but cute is not a basis for a friendship.

Faye and Angus are compatible, but in the same way Faye and Marten are. They both quickly forgive Faye for her violent bullshit.

Jeph sees the theme of the comic as acceptance, so some kind of amiable resolution seems possible. There may have been love involved, but you can love someone and not be friends with them. In the end, that seems like the relationship they had.

I hope so.  I mean, I'm not terribly fond of Angus, but he still deserves a slightly better exit than what Padma got.

Wait. Why?

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Wait. Why?

Why am I not terribly fond of him, or why does he deserve a decent goodbye?  If the former, he's just never been my favorite character.  Even ignoring his early days as guy-who-pestered-Faye-at-work (and outside of work), I've just never found him very interesting, and don't see him being put on a bus as a huge loss.  That said, he's been around for a long time in the comic, so I can endure one more appearance if he shows up to say goodbye to Faye.  She deserves some closure, at least. And anyway, if she were to mumble something like "Angus left today. He called me to say goodbye, but I didn't want to see him," Dora or Marten (probably Dora) will call her out like she did Marten.

kryptoknight

• Emoticontraindication

Claire really is the main character now. Sorry, Marten.

This would not be such a bad thing.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Wait. Why?

Why am I not terribly fond of him, or why does he deserve a decent goodbye?  If the former, he's just never been my favorite character.  Even ignoring his early days as guy-who-pestered-Faye-at-work (and outside of work), I've just never found him very interesting, and don't see him being put on a bus as a huge loss.  That said, he's been around for a long time in the comic, so I can endure one more appearance if he shows up to say goodbye to Faye.  She deserves some closure, at least. And anyway, if she were to mumble something like "Angus left today. He called me to say goodbye, but I didn't want to see him," Dora or Marten (probably Dora) will call her out like she did Marten.

I'm wondering why Angus deserves better. I'm also wondering why Faye deserves better. I neither hate nor approve of Angus, but I don't see how he deserves anything.  I like Faye, but I don't see where she's earned anything either. Just the opposite, in fact. For both of them.

Padma set up her own exit. It's easy to see Marten as villain for being sulky about the whole thing, and for not seeing how much feels Padma had to be dealing with. That only works if you start from the assumption that Marten's feels are invalid. I always thought Faye's reaction to Marty's hissy fit was overblown. She's basically doing the same time Marten did, just on a larger scale. Angus put it out there with "can't we at least try to make this work?" I may criticize the timing, but the attempt isn't much different from Padma's offer of a last hurrah.  If Marty and Padma had spent the time together, it might have changed any number of outcomes. The same applies to Angus and Faye.

Both Marten and Faye have opted to skip that part. Nothing says that is the worst choice. But it is their choice, and it doesn't entitle them to a satisfactory resolution.

Edit: hissy not sissy.  Auto correct.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

If you make your bed, you kind of have to lie down in it later. Of course, Faye could always turn around and go for a less-mutually-hurt parting. The question is... will she?

At this point, I've got no clue. All I can really say is that either option could probably be done well.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Whatever happens, it'll probably be better than Doppelganger. (Stargate Atlantis spoilers) "She fell off a balcony. In a dream." is a pretty dumb way to write someone out.

That said, "a tumour exploded and killed him and three ordnance techs" is pretty daft too.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

For some reason that reminded me of a quote from the movie Funny Farm: "He loved that rocking chair. He would just sit in it and rock back and forth. Right up until the day his heart attacked him."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I'm wondering why Angus deserves better. I'm also wondering why Faye deserves better. I neither hate nor approve of Angus, but I don't see how he deserves anything.  I like Faye, but I don't see where she's earned anything either. Just the opposite, in fact. For both of them.

[...]

Both Marten and Faye have opted to skip that part. Nothing says that is the worst choice. But it is their choice, and it doesn't entitle them to a satisfactory resolution.

Okay, maybe "deserves" isn't the right word for it, but I couldn't think of anything else.  I just thought the way they left things in 2815 was very unsatisfactory--it seems like there should be some resolution to this.  But I don't know how Jeph might go about doing it. 

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Now you've done it.

Now there's a shaggy dog .
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else

I just like the idea of cereal ensuing... I vote poorly...
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Nine o clock on Sunday night, and the regulars start filing in.  What're you drinking (if drinking is your thing)?

Edited to add:  Crow's back on the menu, boys.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2014, 18:14 by MooskiNet »

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Pretty much anyone who assumes the absolute worst about a QC character is going to be wrong.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

techkid

• Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I'm going to have to disagree. Angus pestered Faye, at work- until she went out with him. Leaving aside all other considerations, contemptible but cute is not a basis for a friendship.

People's reasons for falling in love can be crazy sometimes. My own parents got married because, as dad alleges, they "have good arguments together". Still together after 35 years, too. Yeah, verbal sparring might not be terribly romantic, but then some people are terrible romantics.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Comic's up. And that problem solved itself painlessly. Now we get a week's worth of strips of Momo shopping for curtains.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Why do I suddenly hear a bunch of voices screaming, "MAKE-OVER!"?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up