Tai runs into Steve - Cereal ensues
- 11 (10.7%)
Jeph goes on Vacation - Yelling Bird ensues
- 7 (6.8%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher - The unexpected ensues
- 10 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2835-2839 (17 - 21 November 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 74093 times)

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

I just presumed Claire's brain was overloading from all the horrible puns she could make.

Am I turning into a boring prude?
Quis pater tibi est?

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

"Whatever you want." She wants to blush!
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

and blush and blush and blush
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

The hair twirling in panel 3 is absolutely adorable.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Though she seems to have changed into shorts during dinner.   :-D

Having just looked over the strips from when Marten and Claire met outside the library (this morning, comic time), she has only been shown from basically thigh-level up until now. 2830 and 2833 have the most amount of leg shown, and even those pictures end above knee-height. It is entirely possible she was wearing shorts all along! (Which doesn't explain the slightly different fit... *shrug*)

Also: squee.

It seems to me that she's wearing long trousers in http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2833

Also squee 2
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Origamigryphon

• Not quite a lurker

Oh gosh Claire stop being so damn cute

Squeeeee and stuff
You're only young once, but you can be immature FOREVER

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I just presumed Claire's brain was overloading from all the horrible puns she could make.

Am I turning into a boring prude?

You're just thinking outside the box.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

The pun-overload idea also works, even if it's not quite as cute.
Mistakes, ahoy!

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

How has Claire survived the day without any kind of purse or bag?
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS

I assume experience from living as the wrong gender.  Namely, pockets.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot

Now, normally I am loathe to reply with a .gif, but Claire's reaction is just beyond words. Therefore:

oh god

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

The guys I know tend to have backpacks or messenger bags, they need to carry stuff too.

Pockets for phone keys and wallet, okay, I'd buy it for what Marten has. All that for Claire and extra hair ties,  her hairbrush, and bottle of ativan. Her glasses case and cleaning cloth. (in the case or on your face) Mascera? Those are thick dark lashes for a redhead. Her front pockets are flat so how much stuff has she been sitting on?
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I never could figure out why women's clothing doesn't come with functional pockets. I haven't seen a pair of women's pants yet that had pockets that weren't completely useless.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Marten made fun of her hello kitty bag and she's been to ashamed ever since  :-(

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

Callbacks! http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1766
Seems like Jeph has gone environmental friendly this week. He's recycling a lot of stuff.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

I never could figure out why women's clothing doesn't come with functional pockets. I haven't seen a pair of women's pants yet that had pockets that weren't completely useless.

i think it's kind of a viscous cycle type thing: women buy pocketless clothing because that's all the clothing companies make to sell them, while the companies keep making pocketless clothing because women keep buying it.

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer

I assume Claire drives to work/the neighbourhood the strip takes place in.  It's potentially possible that she leaves everything but her wallet and keys in her car (with a stash of hair ties, etc. in whatever cubby or desk they give her at work) and just goes from there.  The fact that her pockets aren't bulging at least a little has to be chalked up to artistic license.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

The contrast from the 'ice cream' callback is an interesting one. For Sven, it confirmed that there would be no sexual element to his date with Hannelore (and dropped her in his 'cute baby sister' category too). For Marten, whilst this confirms that Claire isn't ready, it does also confirm that she has the desire.

Yeah; combined with the blush, the nervousness of her reaction tells the story and Marten does a good job reading her and putting care before lust.

[Edit]
Restored lost opening - damn Android interface!
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2014, 00:08 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

i think it's kind of a viscous cycle type thing: women buy pocketless clothing because that's all the clothing companies make to sell them, while the companies keep making pocketless clothing because women keep buying it.

Makes sense.

On the other hand, I used to have a theory about Ben and Jerry's that I think might also apply here. Used to be you couldn't find Chocolate Fudge Brownie anywhere near me, and they'd have a shit ton of Cherry Garcia. I asked at the store, and they told me they'd typically only get a couple of containers in at a time. So somebody in the front office was probably saying, "Well, Chocolate Fudge Brownie can't be popular; we only sold two pints last month. But look at all the Cherry Garcia the store has in stock. It must be popular. Send more of that."

BenRG

• coprophage

I just re-read and panel 1 has a very flirty Claire. Marten is in for an interesting time reading all those nonvocal cues!

PS - Have we seen Claire's backside during this sequence? Maybe she's wearing one of those hip bag things?
~~~~

anahata

• Never knowingly understood

Marten's suggesting ice cream to spare Claire's blushes - but all the same he looks very pleased indeed that she's apparently thinking of something... a bit hotter?
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

kiss-o-kill

• Plantmonster

Seems like Jeph has gone environmental friendly this week. He's recycling a lot of stuff.

Ugh. This reeks more of him forgetting he made this joke and using it again with no recollection of the past because Claire is QC's interchangeable quirky cute girl to squee over for the foreseeable future (see also Hannelore and Marigold's first few respective arcs after being introduced). And of course we can already see her mellowing out and losing any edge she had and becoming another avatar of cute faces for Jeph to churn out (see, again, Hannegold) and aughhh this comic used to be so good and this is so depressing because I love Claire for being trans but she's being caught in the tidal wave of molasses that is this comic's pacing and its characters' flanderization and I just can't.

Next up: Claire drinks alcohol and makes a funny but oh-so-darling face for 4 panels. Or did that already happen.  :psyduck:
yeah um no

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Marten's suggesting ice cream to spare Claire's blushes - but all the same he looks very pleased indeed that she's apparently thinking of something... a bit hotter?

You mean coffee?  :angel:
What do you know about Pokémon?

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

i think it's kind of a viscous cycle type thing

A viscous cycle? Is it watery, or does it have to do with cloth of some kind?  :-D
What do you know about Pokémon?

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

It's an odd world when Marten is the suave one.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2014, 03:54 by gopher »

BenRG

• coprophage

Something tells me that Claire's been reading the stories on Tai's website, specifically the more MA-rated ones about 'Michael' and 'Claudia', knowing full well that they are about her and Marten. This means that she has a very, very well-stocked imagination right now about these things.
~~~~

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

"The S.S. Clairetin's boiler is starting to overheat, Cap'n, she needs coolant immediately, or it'll explode!"
"We need ice cream, stat!"
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

i think it's kind of a viscous cycle type thing

A viscous cycle? Is it watery, or does it have to do with cloth of some kind?  :-D

I'm thinking it would be a kind of Segway, which rhymes with something at which Marten is (strategically) bad.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

Well, a girl twirling her hair is considered by some as a sign of incipient arousal... Hmm....

kerky

• Emoticontraindication

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Survival shops (are they even called that in english ? Shops that will sell you all kinds of stuff for the wilderness. Like these funny knifes with a compass and other stuff in them).

Their pants actually rock big time. For men too.
Carpe Diem

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

Ah cargo pants, cargo pants for days
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

BenRG

• coprophage

Don't you mean 2260?

If it's the same place, it certainly isn't the most well-omened of places, is it?
~~~~

A Duck

• Curry sauce

Ugh. This reeks more of him forgetting he made this joke and using it again with no recollection of the past because Claire is QC's interchangeable quirky cute girl to squee over for the foreseeable future (see also Hannelore and Marigold's first few respective arcs after being introduced). And of course we can already see her mellowing out and losing any edge she had and becoming another avatar of cute faces for Jeph to churn out (see, again, Hannegold) and aughhh this comic used to be so good and this is so depressing because I love Claire for being trans but she's being caught in the tidal wave of molasses that is this comic's pacing and its characters' flanderization and I just can't.

Next up: Claire drinks alcohol and makes a funny but oh-so-darling face for 4 panels. Or did that already happen.  :psyduck:

I believe the word you're looking for is "running gag".
(I'm not actually sure if you're being sarcastic there)

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

If Claire were to turn any more red, it'll become very difficult to distinguish where her face ends and her hair begins.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

2+2 can equal five for large quantities of 2
:psyduck: Argh  :psyduck:

2 + 2 = 104  OR  2 + 2 = 113

Warning - while you were typing a new iteration of New Math was released. You may wish to begin pummelling educators using a large variety of oversized slide-rules and bound volumes of trigonometry tables.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS

The guys I know tend to have backpacks or messenger bags, they need to carry stuff too.

Pockets for phone keys and wallet, okay, I'd buy it for what Marten has. All that for Claire and extra hair ties,  her hairbrush, and bottle of ativan. Her glasses case and cleaning cloth. (in the case or on your face) Mascera? Those are thick dark lashes for a redhead. Her front pockets are flat so how much stuff has she been sitting on?

Huh.  I forgot about all the extra maintenance stuff.  Maybe they have hyper space pockets that can hold anything?  Or Claire forgot her bag at the library?  Which would be dangerous, considering she's on Ativan.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

As for the primary cause that started it rolling, I would guess that pockets (with things in them) would break up the outline of that perfect curvy (but not too curvy) figure that you are, naturally, starving yourself to acquire/maintain just like the media and social expectations tell you to.   :roll:  :-P

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese

I'm a girl and I carry in my pockets four items: wallet, keys, change purse (with lipstick) and cell phone.  Purses collect junk.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I'm a girl and I carry in my pockets four items: wallet, keys, change purse (with lipstick) and cell phone.  Purses collect junk.

That's the thing. Maybe I just don't know the right people or something, but most of the women I know travel pretty light most of the time. On the guy side of the equation... yeah, messenger bags are helpful. Or if I'm going somewhere with my camera bag, the extra stuff just gets tossed in there.

As for the primary cause that started it rolling, I would guess that pockets (with things in them) would break up the outline of that perfect curvy (but not too curvy) figure that you are, naturally, starving yourself to acquire/maintain just like the media and social expectations tell you to.   :roll:  :-P

Kinda figured that. Even the "cargo pants" I've seen for women were not only cut wrong*, but also had the useless pockets.

*i.e., not loose/baggy enough to be practical/comfortable with anything larger than a bus pass in the cargo pockets. Also happens with some men's cargo pants, much to my frustration

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marten's sensitivity to what's going on is helping her relax. Sometimes you can clear the air when you hear the Claire.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Well, a girl I've spent quite a lot of time with over the last few weeks doesn't really give damns about that and just wears men's cargo pants. But she also wears  a fanny pack all the time, so I guess she's out of damns to give and just likes practical things. She's still one of the most adorable people I know.

Somehow I love it when people put practicalness over style.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Wallet and Keys in pockets in pants, but most of the rest of what I carry is in this

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

Claire can do anything. She is theKwiscotch Haderach.

Or, maybe, I don't know, a running gag. That's a thing. That happens. In webcomics.

Last month there were several predictions about stuff being drawn out ahead of the turkeyday filler. That seems to be the case. Almost all of the speculation included a drama bomb, which seems less likely. But not impossible

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

certainly true, and in fact even men's suits sometimes have the pockets sewn shut for that same reason. 'tis rather silly seeming to me in either case;  sacrificing so much utility for such a minor aesthetic point.

of course one way or another, it's always the market forces that perpetuate such fuckery

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Well, a girl I've spent quite a lot of time with over the last few weeks doesn't really give damns about that and just wears men's cargo pants. But she also wears  a fanny pack all the time, so I guess she's out of damns to give and just likes practical things. She's still one of the most adorable people I know.

Somehow I love it when people put practicalness over style.

One of my exes hated clingy clothes and nicked a couple pairs of my jeans and t-shirts. The practicality aside, I think part of what I liked about it was that she was comfortable/confident enough not to give a damn.

certainly true, and in fact even men's suits sometimes have the pockets sewn shut for that same reason. 'tis rather silly seeming to me in either case;  sacrificing so much utility for such a minor aesthetic point.

of course one way or another, it's always the market forces that perpetuate such fuckery

That never bothered me as much; usually if I'm wearing a suit jacket or blazer, I'm carrying a messenger bag anyway. Phone goes in the inside pocket, wallet in a pants pocket, and everything else in the bag. I had another bag that was about half the width and the same depth as a messenger bag. Fit a hardcover book, newspaper, small umbrella, small notebook and some pens comfortably. I made the mistake of lending it to a friend who was going on vacation and he wrecked it... couldn't find another.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

I am a man of large pockets. In the rare occasion I'd have to look dapper for something, I'd just drop everything on the jacket and have it under control. Pockets are love, pockets are life.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up