Tai runs into Steve - Cereal ensues
- 11 (10.7%)
Jeph goes on Vacation - Yelling Bird ensues
- 7 (6.8%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher - The unexpected ensues
- 10 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2835-2839 (17 - 21 November 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 73846 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Pretty much anyone who assumes the absolute worst about a QC character is going to be wrong.

I feel like this should be in the rules somewhere.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Poll Update:

This Week in OC ..........

Claire tells Clinton - Drama and Violence ensue    14 (28.6%)
Veronica and Clairemom meet - Embarrassment ensues    3 (6.1%)
May and Momo bond - Chaos and mayhem ensue    4 (8.2%) <=== HA! Shows YOU!
Marigold looks for a new roomie - Hilarity and cringing ensue    7 (14.3%)
Dora faces down Sven - Violence and pain ensue    1 (2%)
Clinton confronts Marten in CoD - The Pugnacious Peach ensues    5 (10.2%)
Angus returns to try and talk to Faye - Scorngasim ensues    5 (10.2%)
Tai runs into Steve - Cereal ensues    3 (6.1%)
Jeph goes on Vacation - Yelling Bird ensues    2 (4.1%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher - The unexpected ensues    5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Gawds, I'm going into a kawaii-fugue.  Momo is just so adorable here.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Furniture shopping arc? Furniture shopping arc. So long as we avoid any electrical arcs. Those can be dangerous.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer

Part of me is sad that my dream of Marigold and Raven as roomies will never be, but Momo is just sooooooooo cute in this comic that it takes a bit of the edge off.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Momo goes mad in IKEA

Film at eleven.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

There's still all sorts of possibilities that lead to a roommate.  Or Dale moving in.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

I really wanted it to be Clinton, and I have ever less idea how these characters' finances work, but it's 1000x better than Dale. Maybe Momo can host a sleepover now :)

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot

Well, at least she didn't needle Dale about it.

I think it's strange; Marigold frustrates me as a character. It's amusing to me that her most redeeming quality has typically been her relationship with Momo, so it's good to see that getting more of a limelight, in a much more significant way.

Momo really has been upgraded from "Marigold's conscience/guardian angel" to "Independent character", and whilst she's still close to the bear that is Mare, that independence really makes their interactions more interesting to watch. She isn't defined almost solely as being an extension of Marigold's, in a way.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

PICKING ON THE NEW GUY, NOT LETTING HIM GET HIS MESSAGE ACROSS, HUH? WELL YOU AIN'T STOPPIN' ME, I'M LOADING UP ON ENOUGH CAPSLOCK TO SNAP THE THREAD.
oh god

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

We aim to please

Crosshairs are optional
James The Kugai 

Half Empty Coffee Cup

Regarding finances, it helps to note that Momo need not pay for food and that we really don't have a clue how much Marigold brings in doing website stuff.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Whatever it is, it appears to be enough for her to swing for a new chassis for Momo as a gift.
James The Kugai 

zeyus

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I love it when you buy me BIGG PÖPĹ?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Whatever it is, it appears to be enough for her to swing for a new chassis for Momo as a gift.
She (Marigold) did say that she'd be eating cheap ramen/pot-noodles for some time, and mentioned having to take out a loan to do so.  Marigold has reversed her previous attempt at manipulation in order to have someone who will cover the extra rent.  She's nowhere near the level of money Dora has, let alone Hanners.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Blackbird

She (Marigold) did say that she'd be eating cheap ramen/pot-noodles for some time, and mentioned having to take out a loan to do so.  Marigold has reversed her previous attempt at manipulation in order to have someone who will cover the extra rent.  She's nowhere near the level of money Dora has, let alone Hanners.

The loan mentioned wasn't for the actual chassis that she bought for Momo, it was mentioned sarcastically about a ridiculously expensive chassis that Momo was drooling over beforehand. 

I think Marigold's financial situation is less "I need a roommate because I can't swing expenses by myself" and more "money I don't need to spend on rent is money I can spend on games, computer upgrades, and anime".

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

This.... is strangely sane and normal, which kind of puts it  out of character for marigold, so we must only assume that hanners suggested this to her

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

This is probably just me, but I think that Marigold has just unintentionally created a monster of chintz.

ANGUS: "Momo-tan, I know that you're excited, but could you please at least wait until I'm gone to measure up the room?"

Seriously, Momo has previously indicated that she wanted to be more roommate than furniture. I'm thinking about her crack about needing more closet space. It's all part of her desire to be treated equally, I suppose.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2014, 23:25 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

I don't think Marigold's decision is financially based at all.
She just can't handle all the meetings with strangers which getting a new room-mate would entail.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

techkid

• Disqualified from the human race for shoving

And yet, Marbear completely overlooked Hannelore's suggestion...
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Quanqued

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I'm just thinking about Pintsize's reaction when he finds out Momo gets an entire room to herself (totally overlooking the whole paying rent bit).

Half Empty Coffee Cup

I'm just thinking about Pintsize's reaction when he finds out Momo gets an entire room to herself (totally overlooking the whole paying rent bit).
Probably a desire to come over and visit as another potential space for his brand of mayhem.
Mistakes, ahoy!

BenRG

• coprophage

FWIW, I think that this is just a one-off 'step back' strip. I suspect that the rest of this week will be centred on other things; this strip just shouts 'non sequeteur' too loudly for me to expect anything else.

However, it is ideally placed for Marigold to facilitate a Faye/Angus conversation. My gut feeling is that we've seen all we're going to see of the date unless Dale waits tables at that diner.

The only other story thread I can think of for this week is Mrs A telling Clinton about his sister's new boyfriend and then treating him like a spoilt pre-teen when he overreacts. It would be a little funny if Claire doesn't get the reaction she wanted because Clinton is under a maternal edict to behave himself!
~~~~

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

I'm betting on drama bomb just before turkey week (Cross hairs, as previously mentioned, optional) and I'm curious about the progression of the Svenectomy.
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

Uniquitous

• Plantmonster

Okay, so this is driving me ever so slightly nuts... most 'bots in the QC-verse have squared-off text balloons. Momo seems to alternate back and forth between bot-balloon and the more human rounded-balloon. Last time we saw Momo she was conversing with May and had square balloons. Today she's talking to Marigold and has the rounded ones. Is there an in-universe explanation for this? Do Sony's models have a module that lets them sound more human, should they choose to use it? Or is this just a case of artist inconsistency? Is Momo so human that Jeph sometimes forgets she's a bot?

Inquiring minds...

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Might be a case of not paying attention to that detail (since it's irrelevant to the story). After all, Momo is human-like enough for Hanners to snap when Momo tried to hug. My guess is that it could be explained in-universe as "can/can't be arsed to fire the hoominvoice codec/module/synth/whatevs"
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

BenRG

• coprophage

@Ubiquitious,

I'm betting that Jeph just forgot. No biggie.

In universe, I think that osaka's explanation above is a good one.

It might be a legal requirement that AIs in closely-anthropomorphic chassis use subtly-filtered voice algorithms that make them sound ever so slightly artificial and prevent any unfortunate misunderstandings. Some, like May, do it all the time because it's a way of being 'out and proud'. However, Marigold is Momo's best friend and remember that Momo is looking to be more accepted as equal to humans. So, in private, I suspect she uses a fully human-sounding voice pattern.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2014, 09:17 by BenRG »
~~~~

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Nine o clock on Sunday night, and the regulars start filing in.  What're you drinking (if drinking is your thing)?
Edited to add:  Crow's back on the menu, boys.
I started looking for liquid comestibles of the crow variety and was not fully disappointed. Appalled maybe but not disappointed
(click to show/hide)
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Hrm.  Not sure if Old Crow or Dead Crow work better as emergency bourbons.

Hell, I'll go with both.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Okay, so this is driving me ever so slightly nuts... most 'bots in the QC-verse have squared-off text balloons. Momo seems to alternate back and forth between bot-balloon and the more human rounded-balloon. Last time we saw Momo she was conversing with May and had square balloons. Today she's talking to Marigold and has the rounded ones. Is there an in-universe explanation for this? Do Sony's models have a module that lets them sound more human, should they choose to use it? Or is this just a case of artist inconsistency? Is Momo so human that Jeph sometimes forgets she's a bot?

Inquiring minds...

Maybe she's been brave, truthful and unselfish enough to become a real girl?
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Inquiring minds...

Code switching?
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Hell, I'll go with both.

Definitely Old Crow. Dead Crow is a "bourbon-flavored beer".

Stoned Crow is a decent IPA, and I'd be interested in trying that Stubs Old Crow Hazelnut Porter.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Blackbird

Inquiring minds...

Interesting. 

I dug through the archives a little, and she seems to only "speak in ovals" to Marigold, Dale, and Emily (unless I missed one somewhere).  Emily first got the ovals when Momo thought she was making anime references, and Dale and Marigold make nothing but anime references, so could it be possible that her anime-inspired chassis comes equipped with a special "anime voice" for those who activate it? It would at least explain her selection of "ovalspeak" recipients.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

Yay, Momo!
I was so afraid she'd been pigeonholed as a foil for Emily/May shenanigans.

It will be very interesting to see what she does with her new space. Will she pick something she thinks is appropriate for her self assigned AI-human ambassador role? Or something that comes from deeper in her psyche? Inquiring minds want to know!

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Definitely Old Crow. Dead Crow is a "bourbon-flavored beer".

What the actual fuck.  Just... why?

Ah, well.  To each their own and whatnot.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

The thing about her asking Momo rather than the boyfriend is that it makes sense. Marigold may not be experienced in relationships but even tho she did not even think of Dale until Hanners pointed it out, on some level she must realize it would be a bad idea, specially since they have not been together that long, it would be too soon.

Also, other than that one time that she brought it up to guilt trip Momo, I don't think she actually cares about being repaid. As far as she is concerned, it was a gift for a friend, and she is asking a friend to officially be her roomate...which means a lot and shows how (specially after chassis upgrade) Momo is not seen as merelly a fancy anthropc but rather her own person, having her own identity and being respected as such. It's rather heartwarming and inspiring to see that.

On a non-related note, There are so many open possibilities/plots going on that it might be a while before we get resolution or a glimpse into some of them, since we haven't in a while already *coughDora/Sven*cough*
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2014, 11:43 by NemoX »
"Wit is educated insolence" - Aristotle

Storel

Nine o clock on Sunday night, and the regulars start filing in.  What're you drinking (if drinking is your thing)?
Edited to add:  Crow's back on the menu, boys.
I started looking for liquid comestibles of the crow variety and was not fully disappointed. Appalled maybe but not disappointed
(click to show/hide)

Pranks my best friend and I came up with after discovering that tobacconists would give us the punchline or just hang up on us when we asked for "Prince Albert in a can":

Call up a liquor store and ask "Do you have Old Crow in a quart bottle?" When they say "Yes," reply "I'm going to report you to the SPCA!"

Call up a liquor store and ask "Do you have Old Grand-Dad in a quart bottle?" "Yes." "Well, let him out! Grandma wants him!"

Misspent youth? No, not really... :-D

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Bart Simpson approved
James The Kugai 

Storel

I'm sure he would have, if this hadn't been decades before Bart Simpson existed. This took place in the early '70s...

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

It will be very interesting to see what she does with her new space. Will she pick something she thinks is appropriate for her self assigned AI-human ambassador role? Or something that comes from deeper in her psyche? Inquiring minds want to know!
Indeed... Cyber-tech? Hajajuku style? Or something all wabi-sabi with tatami on the floor?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Interesting. 

I dug through the archives a little, and she seems to only "speak in ovals" to Marigold, Dale, and Emily (unless I missed one somewhere).  Emily first got the ovals when Momo thought she was making anime references, and Dale and Marigold make nothing but anime references, so could it be possible that her anime-inspired chassis comes equipped with a special "anime voice" for those who activate it? It would at least explain her selection of "ovalspeak" recipients.

Interesting point of view blackbird. I hadn't noticed that.

Which brings us to our next point - whose voice should that "Anime voice modulator" mimic? Because she goes from Sakaki-san to Erza Scarlett real fucking fast.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish

Indeed... Cyber-tech? Hajajuku style? Or something all wabi-sabi with tatami on the floor?

Given her style of dress -- solid colors, simple T-shirts or collared shirts, straight skirts, no jewelry -- the third seems closest to her taste.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

I expect she'll go for a comfortable but simplistic style. Something not readily recognizable as "A Robot's Room" or directly related to her model, manufacture, or societal espectations
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Hell, I'll go with both.

Root beer for me, please.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Blackbird

Interesting point of view blackbird. I hadn't noticed that.

Which brings us to our next point - whose voice should that "Anime voice modulator" mimic? Because she goes from Sakaki-san to Erza Scarlett real fucking fast.

Actually, I looked back farther and saw she used to use the rounded balloons with everyone, including people she uses square balloons with now: Pintsize, Marten, and more.  She was also using rounded balloons in her old chassis at the beginning of the How Momo Got Her Groove Back arc (err, that is, the new chassis buying arc).  So much for deeper meaning in the selection.

Edit-add to avoid double post: Comic's later than usual.  What's the Vegas line on Jeph being asleep again?
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2014, 19:56 by Blackbird »

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Probably off seducing his twitter followers again.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

He might not be asleep. He did fuck up his back, though.
Mistakes, ahoy!

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

He might not be asleep. He did fuck up his back, though.

I should really pay more attention to his twitter, I'm lost, what happened to his back?
"Wit is educated insolence" - Aristotle

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Apperantly he can't stand straight because he tweaked is spine.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

This is what happens when you don't twerk responsibly.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Also, other than that one time that she brought it up to guilt trip Momo, I don't think she actually cares about being repaid.
Yep. And that one time she was in a state of panic that was verging on delirious - to the point that she didn't remember doing so.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up