Tai runs into Steve - Cereal ensues
- 11 (10.7%)
Jeph goes on Vacation - Yelling Bird ensues
- 7 (6.8%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher - The unexpected ensues
- 10 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2835-2839 (17 - 21 November 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 74144 times)

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I wonder if we'll go into backstory since Claire brought up high school.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad

Have to admit, I agree with Claire about the some of the vocalists in metal bands, especially the one that sound like Cookie Monster on crack.  There are some interesting variations, though.  I ran across a strange sort of sub-genre, metal with a Lord of the Rings theme.  I really liked a band called Battlelore, they have several singers; one who does have a gruff voice, but if you pretend he's an Orc or maybe a Dwarf it's tolerable.  This is one their songs that I liked.

A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

twixieshores

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I have to admit the Clinton-in-disguise notion amuses me. But where would he find a wig like his sister's hair?

CLAIRE'S MORNING:

"Eugh... I feel so lightheaded... wait, no, my head actually feels lighter... and cooler..."

Claire stumbles out of bed towards the mirror, anticipating another morning full of untangling luscious red knots. She will be sorely disappointed.

"My... my hair?! It's all gone! Where did it... Clinton?! Mum! Mum, where's Clinton?"

"Claire, what are you still doing here? I thought you left with that cute boy a while ago?"

"..."

"Oh, and your brother left a note. It says 'I'm doing this to protect you'. What do you think it- Claire, what happened to your hair?"

But... his arm. How did he make it look like human flesh? And why did he wait until now?

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

You should try Varg... Or Septic Flesh.
Amon Amarth actually got clearer over the years.

You can still have clean vocals in metal. Mostly in Power Metal (Sabaton, Nightwish, Powerwolf come to mind.).
And I can't stop gushing over Falkenbach and Therion.

Warning - while you were typing a new metalhead broke his neck while headbanging has been posted. You may wish to put on a cervical brace.

Signature OF DOOM!

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

It is a little odd that Claire doesn't remember a conversion that she had with Marten and Hannelore only a fairly short time ago. I suppose that it's possible that her important bit to her was that Marten invited her to be part of his social group and the memories of the other stuff (including, hopefully, the indecent assault by the maladjusted AnthroPC) just isn't as strong. Alternately, she is as bad at segues as the Reeds are and the whole thing was an awkward introduction to her musical tastes.

I did like her posture in panel 3. She's quite comfortable around Marten to the point where her body language is getting rather flirty! I didn't think that they'd go too far in this sequence but the possibility of a serious make-out is increasing. I could see her coming home late, Clinton trying to start an argument and Mrs A silencing them both by remarking that, some days when she was in college, she'd come home days late (yes, I still like my 'Once wild and crazy Mrs A' idea).

I think that Claire has some kind of salad; we shouldn't read too much into that but I can see her pressuring Marten to eat more healthily in some point in the future.

Just to take a silly suggestion made in fun a little too seriously: I'm very confident that there is no disguise here. Mrs A is taller than Claire and Marten would have noticed. He was holding her right hand when they entered the diner; even if Clinton had put on its pseudoflesh glove, Marten would still have noticed that it was a prosthetic. In any case, neither of them could have faked Claire at work well enough (passwords, procedures and the like) to have fooled her colleagues.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2014, 23:54 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Or, you know, maybe Claire forgot about that earlier conversation. Fictional characters can have fallible memories too!

I had considered that, but it was three weeks ago comic-time, so... I'm gonna stay with the Clinton-in-disguise gag.  It seems more plausible.

Or it could be that Claire simply hadn't realized that Marten and Hanners are in the same band.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot

Just to take a silly suggestion made in fun a little too seriously: I'm very confident that there is no disguise here. Mrs A is taller than Claire and Marten would have noticed. He was holding her right hand when they entered the diner; even if Clinton had put on its pseudoflesh glove, Marten would still have noticed that it was a prosthetic. In any case, neither of them could have faked Claire at work well enough (passwords, procedures and the like) to have fooled her colleagues.

You got your serious analysis in my wild speculation! Now it's just everywhere... you've ruined it. Argh, no point in getting a towel and trying to sop it up, you've just ruined it beyond recovery. It's FUBAR. We'll have to throw the whole thing out and get a new one.

New wild ideas: What if Clinton's hand got its own AI? I mean, it is Hanner's Dad Tech (Inc.)
oh god

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Sort of. It's Generic Brand Futuretech.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Endellion

• I pun, therefore I am

Claireface + Clairepun = Clairegasm

That is all.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

While I haven't predicted the exact reaction, I did predict what would've been my reaction, so I call it a win.

*Leaves forum* *heads college* *Proceeds to a "dang" match with friends*
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

It could be...
Claire is just making conversation. She didn't so much forget as speak before all the relevant memories processed.

Marten also seems to have "forgotten." Or, maybe he's doing his good guy thing and not making a big deal out of something that can be answered with one word.

Claire just came off of one fluster. Cute as it may be (even to Marten) good times are not made solely at the expense of others. It probably made sense to Marten to let it passes and hope that would clear the Claire.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

You should try Varg... Or Septic Flesh.
Amon Amarth actually got clearer over the years.

You can still have clean vocals in metal. Mostly in Power Metal (Sabaton, Nightwish, Powerwolf come to mind.).
And I can't stop gushing over Falkenbach and Therion.

Warning - while you were typing a new metalhead broke his neck while headbanging has been posted. You may wish to put on a cervical brace.

Many of Turisas or Blind Guardian's songs also have fairly clear vocals, and so do many of the other "Viking Metal" bands. Granted they tend to be in Finnish (Korpiklaani or Finntroll) or another Nordic language but they're clear if you speak those languages... (Viking Metal being one of my favorite genres)
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Sorry, but I couldn't resist: Finnish isn't a Nordic language, it's a Finno-Ugric one. It isn't related to the Nordic languages (Icelandic, Faroese, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish) at all, in fact.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Natswash

• Furry furrier

Sorry, but I couldn't resist: Finnish isn't a Nordic language, it's a Finno-Ugric one. It isn't related to the Nordic languages (Icelandic, Faroese, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish) at all, in fact.

I had forgotten that. Thank you for reminding me, I'm too used to thinking of it as a Nordic Nation

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

I had forgotten that. Thank you for reminding me, I'm too used to thinking of it as a Nordic Nation

Awesome visual description of how languages are related
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

That is a very nice depiction, but one shouldn't be fooled by the closeness of related languages - it could be argued, for instance, that Faroese is closer to Norwegian than to Danish, but in the image it is closer to Danish. Anyway, it illustrates well enough the different roots of languages in Scandinavia - the North Germanic (or Nordic) languages are close geographically to Finnish, Sami and Estonian, but the two groups belong to vastly different families.

Apologies to anyone lacking my disturbing linguistic fetish...  :wink:
What do you know about Pokémon?

Natswash

• Furry furrier

It is not disturbing at all, I have a thing for Viking-era history (and basically every time period before that). So the way the languages develop are actually moderately interesting to me.
I've always wanted to make a Metal Genre to Metal Ore comparison. You know like Symphonic Metal would be Silver, Death Metal might be steel, Classic Metal is iron etc.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

Claire's pun seemed to be a bit flat.  Nevertheless, Marten's reply was a remarkable display of a sharp wit.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce

Nah, they were both being natural.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

They did seem to be in harmony and the scale of their puns will bring the world to its knees.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Natswash

• Furry furrier

It would be for the basst if we gave the puns a rest beforte become treblesome

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

You're trying to stave off treble?
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

I'd hate to cause an accidental cleft in the forums due to the tempo of these musical puns.

Natswash

• Furry furrier

No, I merely note that several puns in a row are a cymbal of a cycle that has people chorusing for the puns to tone down. Does this strike a chord with your observations?
I personally I find that they bring me out of any fugues I may be in.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Don't worry about that. I've tried to be sharp before, but it just didn't work.

Natswash

• Furry furrier

I must have got the rhythm of the forum wrong, I'll try to be more in unison next time

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese

Claire plays the French horn. 

*geeks out*

My favorite Toto song has a French horn solo.

*geeks out a bit more*

Of course, the thing about a French horn is, you have to put your hand IN it.

(yes, I played)
Please, sir, may I have some more?

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

Claire plays the French horn. 

*geeks out*

My favorite Toto song has a French horn solo.

*geeks out a bit more*

Of course, the thing about a French horn is, you have to put your hand IN it.

(yes, I played)

French horn players club, unite. 

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

We know that Marten played the clarinet when he was in grade school. It occurs to me that horn + clarinet + bass + drums = hot jazz. Just in case the instrumental metal thing doesn't work out.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

We know that Marten played the clarinet when he was in grade school. It occurs to me that horn + clarinet + bass + drums = hot jazz. Just in case the instrumental metal thing doesn't work out.

If that doesn't become canon, it should.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Jazz metal? That definitely should be a real thing. So naturally it already is.

(click to show/hide)
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Seriously tho, Jazz has been fused with everything. Not that I complain about that.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

They aren't quite ready for the 1812 Overture.

Estron

• Emoticontraindication
  • Old-fart QC aficionado

And many of us are following the first date storyline, hoping it will close on a fermata.

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more

There are some interesting variations, though.  I ran across a strange sort of sub-genre, metal with a Lord of the Rings theme. 
It's not all Lord of the Rings, but fantasy metal is actually a pretty big subgenre.
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

Endellion

• I pun, therefore I am

Claire's pun seemed to be a bit flat.  Nevertheless, Marten's reply was a remarkable display of a sharp wit.

Marten does have previous guilty charges of punnage. Faye and Angus verbally sparred, perhaps these two will try to continuously outpun each other?
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

I forsee Marten and Claire spending an inordinate amount of time in CoD's penalty box for making terrible puns. 

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I hope they have two penalty boxes otherwise they'll just make out.

...actually I don't hope that at all!

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Music puns?

Give it a rest.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Let's not end this on a bad note.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith

It's okay, puns are not everyone's forte.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

The key is to not make them too obscure

In really having a hard time with this first date sequence
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Music puns? No treble at all. For good measure, I'll turn that over to my staff.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Pintsize seems oddly obsessed with tromboners.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Just keep the Violins to a minimum.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tobimaro

• Emoticontraindication

Just hope that they would not limit themselves to just that combo. You'd be surprised what can show up in a jazz combo. (Thinking of my high school jazz band with me and my bass clef baritone holding down the 4th trombone seat.)  :-)

Tobimaro

• Emoticontraindication

But what if we were into sax and violins?  :evil:

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Daphuq. How can you not understand that violins are the pinnacle of musical greatness. You can just slap a violin anywhere and it'll work.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

They aren't quite ready for the 1812 Overture.

I was thinking more Row Row Row Your Boat - we already know Hanners has that one down.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Jeph's Twitter account: "I hope y'all are ready for an entire week of Marten and Claire being cute at each other because that seems to be what is happening"

MOAR PUNS  :psyduck:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up