Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 06 Apr 2020, 15:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tales of snobbery  (Read 27787 times)

flowers for charlie

Tales of snobbery
« Reply #50 on: 03 Jan 2005, 19:27 »

the only bands i can recall ever making fun of are the alkaline trio, muse and my chemical romance, which i mock and belittle every chance i get.  

every other band i dislike (and the fans of those bands, coincidentally) does a good enough job of making fun of itself

Tago Mago

• Obscure cultural reference
Tales of snobbery
« Reply #51 on: 04 Jan 2005, 12:29 »

I do try very hard not to be an asshole, but sometimes I just can't help but egg on Pink Floyd fans. It's not that I particularly dislike the band...but goddamn those kids have it coming sometimes. I think it's because I used to be one myself. :(

Icarus

Tales of snobbery
« Reply #52 on: 08 Jan 2005, 21:57 »

I loved Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and "Dark Side..." but if you want ammunition against PF fans, look no further than the aptly titled "A Momentary Lapse of Reason." There's like 1 song that's sorta good and one that's OK.  All the rest are shit, with the same guitar sound throughout and an unhealthy gorge of BAD synth music.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Tales of snobbery
« Reply #53 on: 09 Jan 2005, 12:58 »

Nothing wrong with Pink Floyd :/ the Wall and Dark Side of the Moon are quite fine work, as is their earlier experimental stuff (Come on, One of These Days!) Must say they did go pretty crap after Dave Gilmour went all crazy about his dad dying in the war, which was sometime mid eighties I think...

Anyway. Snobbery. I dunno, I tend to be quiet and accepting about peoples musical taste. One of my friends is really in to emo, but he also likes some decent stuff and sings in a sludge metal band, so that's cool. I still mock him constantly, with him retaliating with the standard gothic and black metal stereotype jokes, and also insinuations that I am a member of both Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit (owing to my overly large Beyerdynamic studio headphones which I admit are the kind of thing a DJ might use)

I do engage in battles of metal trivia snobbery with one of my friends though, to the bafflement of all around. The last major one I can remember centred around the exact genre and influence on each Amorphis album, and then to whether they used folk influences before Dark Tranquillity or not, whether Dark Tranquillity was better when Anders Frieden was the singer, whether Anders Frieden is a better front-man than Johan Liva etc. etc. I enjoy talking to that guy a lot as we both know pretty much the same amount of stuff about the same kind of music and disagree on absolutely EVERYTHING.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

3Z3VH

• FIGHT YOU
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
Tales of snobbery
« Reply #54 on: 10 Jan 2005, 13:47 »

Quote from: Icarus
I loved Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and "Dark Side..." but if you want ammunition against PF fans, look no further than the aptly titled "A Momentary Lapse of Reason." There's like 1 song that's sorta good and one that's OK.  All the rest are shit, with the same guitar sound throughout and an unhealthy gorge of BAD synth music.

Odd, A Momentary Lapse of Reason is my favourite of all their albums.  The only song on their I didn't care much for was Dogs of War.  Not so much that I disliked the song, it just didn't belong on that album.

If you just hate their synthed out stuff, why did you not point the finger at "A Saucerful of Secrets" ?  That had next to none of the Pink Floyd feel to it and instead went more "psychodelic" as if they were all acid tripping when they made that album, and was almost nothing but synth.

I admire the Lapse of Reason album because they blended the Synth and guitar/rock aspect so perfectly.  They put a LOT more thought into the music of that album than they did the others, making lyrics more secondary than their other releases such as The Wall and Dark Side.

As always, your opinion is respected as such.  I simply enjoyed how much work they put into that album, while you seem to have written it off a bit too easily because you disliked one minor aspect of it.
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
Tales of snobbery
« Reply #55 on: 10 Jan 2005, 14:32 »

Everything released by Pink Floyd after Syd Barrett left is complete shit.  (Hey, this is the tales of snobbery post, right?)
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

3Z3VH

• FIGHT YOU
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
Tales of snobbery
« Reply #56 on: 10 Jan 2005, 14:48 »

Everything post-Syd is different, but I feel Roger Waters has done an awesome job with it.

Comparing Syd Barrett Pink Floyd to Roger Waters Pink Floyd is dumb... that would be like comparing Peter Gabriel Genesis to Phil Collins Genesis.  Two totally different animals.
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

muffy

• The Tickler
Tales of snobbery
« Reply #57 on: 10 Jan 2005, 15:54 »

I can be a terrible snob, though I've been very good of late - I even endured Jamie  f*****g Cullum to humour my friend, so I'm clearly getting better.

However, my patience was tried this saturday at the indie club I dj at.   Some irritating bint kept coming up and asking for My Sharona by the knack, asked what kind of dj I was and was generally orrendously obnoxious, and then came up and asked for Menswear.
I nearly spat beer in her face.  It's two thousand and f*****g five!  What would you rather have - terrible mid ninetees britpop hair bands who only got the time of day because blur were quite a good band and record companies waned in on the act, or bloc party, modest mouse, the killers et al?

I reviewed this situation and smugly decided that it's ok for me to be a music snob, as I'm paid for the privelidge.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up