THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 16:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What will this year's "turkey twist" be?

Faye and Angus talk and break up
- 11 (10.4%)
Faye and Angus talk and resolve to make it work
- 4 (3.8%)
Dora goes to confront Sven and finds him in bed with Faye
- 12 (11.3%)
Dora goes to confront Sven and finds him in bed with CLAIRE!
- 2 (1.9%)
Emily confesses her feelings for Marten
- 5 (4.7%)
Emily confesses her feelings for Claire
- 6 (5.7%)
Emily confesses her feelings for green peppers
- 25 (23.6%)
Clinton learns about the SS Martenclaire
- 24 (22.6%)
Station shows up in an AnthroPC chassis to pursue Hanners
- 6 (5.7%)
Penelope actually does something interesting or memorable
- 5 (4.7%)
Steve is seen eating breakfast, but he's having... pancakes?!?
- 6 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2840-2844 (24 - 28 November 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 57212 times)

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer

It came up in last week's thread that this would be a good poll, so I thought I'd take a stab at it.  I may have gotten carried away.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I'd say it's time for the string quartet on the S. S. Fangus to play their final tune.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Huh. No answer in this poll has pulled ahead yet. I wonder if that'll continue.
Mistakes, ahoy!

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Huh. No answer in this poll has pulled ahead yet. I wonder if that'll continue.

Well, the first few options are all pretty reasonable, so it comes down to personal preference.

If Dora finds Sven on bed with anyone, I'd like it to be one of these two:
  • Hannelore - "It turns out that I can suppress my fear of human contact so long as there is no emotional stake involved!"
  • Lydia - "So, actually, I wasn't in love with Faye at all! I was in love with having a lover who I couldn't dominate! Faye brushing me off made me realise that I already had a friend who was an equal; meet your soon-to-be sister-in-law!"
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2014, 06:26 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

I see 3 of these options as very possible. In fact, I think we'll see all 3 of them sooner or later:
1. Faye and Angus will have a final showdown before he leaves.
2. Emily starts talking to Marten/Claire about how she feels about Marten. She then learns that Marten/Claire is 'kind of a thing' now.
3. Clinton learns about the SS Martenclaire. That will be interesting.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I think this is a good poll. I'm a little sad that this thread seems to get less attention than the other WCDT.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I think this is a good poll. I'm a little sad that this thread seems to get less attention than the other WCDT.

Much better poll than the other one.  And this one was first.  Went up a few minutes before the second one appeared.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

If some other Mod/Admin wants to deal with this, please do.  I rule myself out of this as I'm too biased to my own Poll to make a fair judgement.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I liked the turkey poll so I renamed it, and since this thread had comic discussion in it, I declare it the actual WCDT.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

• Dora goes to confront Sven and finds him in bed with Faye

I like this one a lot - it ties up two threads all in one drama bomb.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Thanks IICIH

Truth is, both Polls are great, but as I said, I was kinda biased towards my own one so I felt it fair the matter was resolved by a third party to prevent howls of bias.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

• Dora goes to confront Sven and finds him in bed with Faye

I like this one a lot - it ties up two threads all in one drama bomb.

It's also the fastest way of getting Faye fired I think.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Two polls enter, one poll leave!
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

A fired Faye might have trouble finding work in Northampton and might have to relocate. She's got a boyfriend in NYC ...
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

That would be such a seriously flagrant violation of the work/life barrier that I think the rest of the cast would cut her out of their lives.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

A fired Faye might have trouble finding work in Northampton and might have to relocate. She's got a boyfriend in NYC ...

I think The Secret Bakery may be looking for someone new, considering Padma left for California... now wouldn't that cause Dora to freak out...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Half Empty Coffee Cup

Jeph's watching football and posting on Twitter. The football facts are amusing. Also, it may be a while until Monday's strip goes up. (ALL HAIL THE OVERLORD)
Mistakes, ahoy!

Gladstone

• The Tickler

HAIL FROGLORD

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

That would be such a seriously flagrant violation of the work/life barrier that I think the rest of the cast would cut her out of their lives.

Oh, sure. Or give Dora like 5 seconds to explain before that happens.

So we're going to forget that she'd be fired because she was found with Sven? That kind of makes no sense.

I think The Secret Bakery may be looking for someone new, considering Padma left for California... now wouldn't that cause Dora to freak out...

I can just see the situation:

D: *nuclear meltdown*
F: Well I'll be damned if I can't eat muffins for free *calls Jim*

Half Empty Coffee Cup

Agreed on the likelihood of a firing. It should be remembered that Dora's told Faye not to come into work the next day before... Though I'll be damned if I can dredge up the link to the comic that happened in.
Mistakes, ahoy!

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

1742 - Dora catches Marten talking to Faye in his boxers.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Comic.

Looks like we're heading for a Clinton showdown.

(Or more embarrassing mom stuff.  "Tch, home already?  The way you've been talking about that boy, I didn't expect you back until tomorrow morning, at least!")
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2014, 19:13 by Gladstone »

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot

Question: In that last panel, how did Marten act so suave when Claire is like that and not attempt to subsume her with cuddles?

Seriously, iron will right there.
oh god

Rincewind

• Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad

Claire needs to get a place of her own.  Wasn't someone looking for a new roommate recently? 
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

Aw, Claire. :C No need to be ashamed about living at home while in school. Think of all the money you're saving!

Agreed about Marten having uncanny restraint. Then again, I'm very much a hugs sort of person. It's my go-to for comforting someone (when I know it's welcome, of course).

Rincewind: Marigold got Momo to pick up the other part of the rent, so that option's out.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Gladstone

• The Tickler

And I have a feeling that Marigold and Claire would be awful roommates...

Blackbird

Truth is, both Polls are great, but as I said, I was kinda biased towards my own one so I felt it fair the matter was resolved by a third party to prevent howls of bias.

I liked your poll too.  Truth is, I almost took this one down after I saw you posted yours.  I'm glad everything got sorted out.

Question: In that last panel, how did Marten act so suave when Claire is like that and not attempt to subsume her with cuddles?

Answer: he's been observing her oddly-self-aware freakouts for months now. At some point, they're still cute, but how funny they are starts to win out over how cute they are.

It's funny how they're possibly the two nerdiest characters, and yet they wouldn't both survive the first month living together.  (However, it would give enough time for the love to blossom between Clinton and Momo... hmmmm........)

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot

And not in the ha-ha odd couple way. In the endless-cringe-humour way. Marigold's deadpan apathy vs Claire's snarky passion. It'd take a passive-aggressive Cold War to epic proportions. Battle spatulas would be wielded against month-old-hardened-stale-pocky-lances over the dishes.

"Because it's MARIGOLD'S TURN, DAMN IT, I AM NOT YOUR MOTHER"

"MY MOTHER WAS MESSIER THAN I WAS YOU SHOULD BE GRATEFUL YOU'RE JUST STUCK WITH ME"

"UNLESS YOUR MOTHER WAS LITERALLY A TOXIC WASTE DUMP I FIND THAT VERY HARD TO BELIEVE"

"Maybe she was. Maybe that's why my chest is the size of... well, you. All of you. And you're like, a board with a wig and glasses."

"..."

"Oh... was that the line? Did I just cross the line? Oh, god, I'm so sorr-"

"RARRGHHH"

I could write them more in character, but it would take at least four months of subtle buildup, three Yelling Birds and two bowls of cereal with Steve to do justice.
oh god

Gladstone

• The Tickler

(However, it would give enough time for the love to blossom between Clinton and Momo... hmmmm........)

The way Clinton treated Momo the first time they met, I would be very disappointed if Jeph paired those two up.  Not to mention, Momo's chassis has a very adolescent look to it (so much so that Sam mistook her for someone her own age), I can't really see her getting into any kind of romantic relationship without upgrading to a more adult model.

Now, May, on the other hand...

(Oh, wait.)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

It's funny how they're possibly the two nerdiest characters, and yet they wouldn't both survive the first month living together.  (However, it would give enough time for the love to blossom between Clinton and Momo... hmmmm........)
If by "love" you mean "tasering", then sure.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I liked your poll too.  Truth is, I almost took this one down after I saw you posted yours.  I'm glad everything got sorted out.

Answer: he's been observing her oddly-self-aware freakouts for months now. At some point, they're still cute, but how funny they are starts to win out over how cute they are.

They're both nerdy, but they geek out over different stuff. Even putting that aside, though, it'd be hard to decide who'd kill whom first if they lived together; they're only slightly more compatible than, say, Hanners and Marigold would've been.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

...Da-DUT-da-da-da-DAAA...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Calling this now: tomorrow's strip will be conversation between Marten and Claire, or a cutaway to one of the other storylines. Wednesday's strip will be Marten kissing Claire goodnight, interrupted by Clinton arriving home/stopping by.* Thursday will be turkeys and a cliffhanger 'til resolution on Monday.

*Have we established whether Clinton also lives at home?
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Blackbird

*Have we established whether Clinton also lives at home?

To my knowledge, it hasn't been established in canon, but since he's 21 and goes to Amherst IIRC, it's probably safe to assume he does. 

Rincewind

• Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad

Rincewind: Marigold got Momo to pick up the other part of the rent, so that option's out.

Raskolnikov!  Hmm, who would make a good roommate for Claire?  I wonder what Emily's living arrangements are like?   :evil:

A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Momo's chassis has a very adolescent look to it (so much so that Sam mistook her for someone her own age), I can't really see her getting into any kind of romantic relationship without upgrading to a more adult model.
Sometimes I keep wondering if Sam has male friends her age who would fall for Momo, and any awkwardness that might ensue, especially since Momo seems to be into guys Sven's age (or maybe just Sven).
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Claire needs to get a place of her own.  Wasn't someone looking for a new roommate recently?

I wouldn't say she really needs a place of her own, though.  Money-saving benefits aside, she missed out on romance during her teen and early college years and never got to experience the thrill of sneaking a boy into her room for makeouts under the watchful eye of her mother, so now's her chance!  Her mother is likely to indulge her in this case, but being sneaky around Clinton will probably be just as fun.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Poor Claire, I know exactly how she feels, I've had far too many great dates end that way.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

BenRG

• coprophage

Poor Claire! Those insecurities are always there, hiding and waiting to jump you, aren't they?

I think that we can all read the subtext here - Claire wants to have a private living space unto which she could drag Marten for what Faye calls "sexy shenanigans". I rather think she isn't comfortable suggesting going to Marten's appartment.

One question: didn't she 'phone Mrs A to let her know that she would be home late? That's why I suspect an excuse.

Marten knows how to handle a freak-out it seems. Claire would probably jump out of her skin at a physical contact at this moment; he has to talk her down first!

Looks like we're heading for a Clinton showdown.

Looks that way to me too! Maybe a Lucy van Pelt lock-out. Mom is out/in bed and Clinton refuses to let Claire in for some ridiculous 'reason'. So Claire has to stay with Marten overnight, fretting that she has just been made homeless.
~~~~

Truec

• Furry furrier

One question: didn't she 'phone Mrs A to let her know that she would be home late? That's why I suspect an excuse.

Not as far as I can tell from a quick check.

Looks that way to me too! Maybe a Lucy van Pelt lock-out. Mom is out/in bed and Clinton refuses to let Claire in for some ridiculous 'reason'. So Claire has to stay with Marten overnight, fretting that she has just been made homeless.

Why on Earth would you expect something like that?  Clinton doesn't seem the type at all.

BenRG

• coprophage

Why on Earth would you expect something like that?  Clinton doesn't seem the type at all.

Because the last strip before Thanksgiving traditionally has Drama. Clinton being an ass and overreacting, thus pushing Marten and Claire into their first crisis is one way to do it.

BTW- I'm sort of glad that you got the reference. 'Peanuts' hasn't been widely followed for years.
~~~~

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

I don't see that being a serious crisis if it happened. Probably something of the lines of Claire panicking and Marten being extra-zen and taking him(mod edit: that should be "her") home. Or maybe to Hanner's before to see if she had any spare ativan.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2014, 10:50 by Is it cold in here? »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I'm calling it now. There's no twist this year. Jephizbah (praise be his trolldom) is anticipating our anticipation.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Wednesday it's revealed that Marten and Claire are a sweet couple who like each other very much.

Dun dun dun!

BenRG

• coprophage

Alternative possibility:

TOMORROW: Marten and Claire kiss farewell outside her house; Mrs A makes a remark to Claire about "a true gentleman walking a lady home" making Claire do her tomato impression;

WEDNESDAY: Marten arrives at home to find Faye in tears hugging Pintsize of all 'bots. He sits down next to her and hugs her making a pithy remark about 'if you turned to Pintsize it must be bad'. We get to wait until next week to find out what happened.
~~~~

techkid

• Disqualified from the human race for shoving

That would be cold, man!

Yet entirely plausible...
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

One might even call it cold... TURKEY!  :clairedoge:
What do you know about Pokémon?

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

... on whom she just cheated on, in this line of thought ?

HAIL FROGLORD
ALL HAIL ! HAIL HAIL HAIL !
Carpe Diem

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Blackbird

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up