THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 17:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What will this year's "turkey twist" be?

Faye and Angus talk and break up
- 11 (10.4%)
Faye and Angus talk and resolve to make it work
- 4 (3.8%)
Dora goes to confront Sven and finds him in bed with Faye
- 12 (11.3%)
Dora goes to confront Sven and finds him in bed with CLAIRE!
- 2 (1.9%)
Emily confesses her feelings for Marten
- 5 (4.7%)
Emily confesses her feelings for Claire
- 6 (5.7%)
Emily confesses her feelings for green peppers
- 25 (23.6%)
Clinton learns about the SS Martenclaire
- 24 (22.6%)
Station shows up in an AnthroPC chassis to pursue Hanners
- 6 (5.7%)
Penelope actually does something interesting or memorable
- 5 (4.7%)
Steve is seen eating breakfast, but he's having... pancakes?!?
- 6 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2840-2844 (24 - 28 November 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 56930 times)

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

The same is true in reverse I can assure you.

Somehow I read that as "my aim is true in reverse", which sounds absolutely brilliant!  :-D
What do you know about Pokémon?

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

'Fanny pack' is an amusing choice for a post about differences in language

I assumed it was deliberate...
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer

Since we're on the topic of regional and cultural variation in English, I love how for the most part we all tone down our regional dialects on internet forums.  Sure, the big well-known Americanisms, Britishisms, and Canadianisms all come out (probably Australianisms too, but those are mostly about makeouts with kangaroos), but we all (mostly instinctively) tend towards universal words to make sure we can communicate.  And that... that's just beautiful.    :angel:

As for the Marten/Claire discussion, Marten is NOT acting like himself.  Claire is NOT acting like herself.  This is called "dating" where I come from.

Marten acted similarly when he was first dating Padma.  "Oh, but Marty and Claire have already known each other for months."  They were work friends who hung out a few times outside of work almost always in a group setting (I'm not counting walking down the street to get coffee).  This is a different situation entirely.  Note that Marten's realized he's acting different, but he hasn't noticed (or at least hasn't commented) that Claire has been far more passive than she usually is.  I'm assuming that Claire is having parallel thoughts, realizing how she's acting, but not noticing how Marten's been different through the first couple days of this.  Eventually, they'll get over themselves and the real Marten and Claire will both show back up, and we'll get to see the drama this causes.  Give it time.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

You don't like people showing new and unexpected sides of themselves? His behaviour still makes perfect sense to me, from experience. By your logic, my own relationship shouldn't exist - because I'd been a drama queen with everyone else for years, and he couldn't stand staying with one person and always had a very different "type" anyway. His on-and-off ex is still weirded out by how out of character it is for him to be with me, while people who know me (including myself) find it fascinating how chill I am around him. The person you're with can make a huge difference for the way you feel and act, and for me the SS Claireten is a beautiful example of this.

As I said, the worst part is how Marten acts around Claire now is BORING.  It might be good for him as an (imaginary) person, but without some level of conflict and/or drama in an ongoing story, there's really no reason to show/tell it at all.  Happy ever after only really works if it's the epilogue - the finale.  If he's going to have a happy but boring relationship with Claire, I want the one-on-one interaction between them to be left off-panel for the most part - unless/until there is significant drama to explore. 

I think it's cool to have Marten grow as a character, and staying with a running gag of "Marten is a passive dork who doesn't know what to say to ladies" would get boring, but he could become a more comfortable and confident guy without magically turning into The Perfect Date Who Always Does Everything Exactly Right.

This is exactly part of what bothers me.  Marten seems to have transformed himself into a wish fulfillment fantasy for Claire, and for the shippers of Clairten in the forum by proxy.  He's saying/doing all the right things to an uncanny degree - so much so that I'd think he was consciously trying to be the perfect date.  But his comments to Faye in the most recent strip suggest this is all somehow happening by instinct?  It's friggin weird - and doubly so because this is a woman he's know for awhile, and had established chemistry with (of a sort) before they actually began dating. 

I'm 35, and in the usage I'm accustomed to, "making out" definitely does not include sex.  Typical usage might include:

I'm the same age as you are.  I remember "hooking up" as being the term which could mean anything from makeouts to 'fuckin.  I wonder if the (long defunct - right?) indie dating site makeoutclub was what helped spread the modern terminology.   

Thanks to a timely sig, it occurs to me that the only reason Marten seems out of character to some is that they are selectively remembering Marten's character. It's not that he's usually confident and comfortable. He usually isn't. But he's certainly capable of it.

I know, I know. There's arguments against it. I'm sure your argument is really cool. Listen--

What do you know about Pokémon?[/i]

Marten's attitude during that encounter is pretty much the definition of confident and comfortable. The situation's different, yes. But then Marten's already showing the he wasn't expecting it out of himself. The key point is that the attitude is something we've seen from him before.

I think Martin has noted before that "friendsight is 20/20."  That he displays confidence dealing with romantic situations which don't involve him says nothing in particular about situations which do involve him. 

I suspect Marten's weird calm and the following conversation about it with Faye means that he's actually falling deeply in love - something he might not have experienced before.

Uhh...you must feel very different when falling for someone than I remember feeling.  I remember feeling like I was overcome with emotion - giddy with excitement.  I remember feeling slightly queasy and not having an appitite.  Feeling almost obsessive about the person, going over the last makeout in my head again and again and shivering in anticipation.  Literally not feeling like I could wait to see the person again.  There was no centered sense of calm until months into the feeling, when the endorphins died down a bit and there was that level of perfect comfort with the lass in question. 

In my experience, you can only get "the zen" down on first dates when you are a bit emotionally detached - if you are really looking at the date in a borderline PUA manner, as more of a game of chess than anything. 

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Anyone notice that Faye's into the hard liquor?

We don't really know that. But given her history, it is likely.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

A Duck

• Curry sauce

I think today's comic can be seen as a parallel to this other comic.

Marten and Faye
One of them coming back from a date in a recently started relationship
The other one at home, drinking, recently single (we don't know for sure if that's Faye's case, but it's at least an ALMOST single)

Supposing Angus' corpse isn't stuffed in the bathroom or Sven isn't anywhere close, Faye seems to be taking it way better than Marten did when he broke up with Dora.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

I think today's comic can be seen as a parallel to this other comic.

Marten and Faye
One of them coming back from a date in a recently started relationship
The other one at home, drinking, recently single (we don't know for sure if that's Faye's case, but it's at least an ALMOST single)

Supposing Angus' corpse isn't stuffed in the bathroom or Sven isn't anywhere close, Faye seems to be taking it way better than Marten did when he broke up with Dora.

I think the major difference was that Marten and Dora's break-up had a lot of anger in it on both sides and that anger translated itself into Marten's reaction. Faye's reaction is more sadness, so she's more likely to be a maudlin, reflective drunk. However, I don't think she's that far gone. I suppose it's a good thing that she's not so heart-broken that she's seeking oblivion.

That particular comic also reminds us that, even if he is a friend, a drunk, aggressive guy can intimidate any woman, even Faye. I'm pretty sure that she punched him because she genuinely thought he might be about to force himself on her.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

A Duck

• Curry sauce

I think the major difference was that Marten and Dora's break-up had a lot of anger in it on both sides and that anger translated itself into Marten's reaction. Faye's reaction is more sadness, so she's more likely to be a maudlin, reflective drunk. However, I don't think she's that far gone. I suppose it's a good thing that she's not so heart-broken that she's seeking oblivion.

That particular comic also reminds us that, even if he is a friend, a drunk, aggressive guy can intimidate any woman, even Faye. I'm pretty sure that she punched him because she genuinely thought he might be about to force himself on her.

I don't think it goes THAT far and I don't really see Faye as intimidated by Marten, but it is definitely Marten's lowest point by a huge margin and he definitely crossed a million wrong lines there...
I have to say, this constant switching between Marten and Faye's relationship status makes me a little afraid they might end up together in the end, even though I think that is about as likely as Hannelore randomly deciding to date Jimbo.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

You know that Hanners dating Jimbo is the only thing that really fully explains her first appearance right.

(Now, Jimbo knowing it is an entirely different thing)
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Those were some REALLY strong anti-anxiety meds.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Blackbird

I think we need to dial it back on that last sentence.  I don't think Faye would believe Marten would force himself on anyone in any state, even in the moment.  I do think she thought/knew Marten about to make a move on her and the punch was a reactionary, pre-emptive strike to eradicate the resulting spike in awkwardness between them if that move actually happened. 

As for the first part of the quoted passage, about how any drunk, aggressive guy can intimidate any woman... frankly, I find it a little sexist and more than a bit insulting to myself and every other woman on this board.  A huge guy gets drunk and aggressive on me, yes, I'm intimidated.  Some skinny boy I know I can take in a fight, not so much.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

See, when we get into emphasizing the modifier, THE SKY IS THE LIMIT. *flails* *starts shipping Jimbo and Hanners* *realizes the implications* *flails more* *stops ship*

A Duck

• Curry sauce

You know that Hanners dating Jimbo is the only thing that really fully explains her first appearance right.

(Now, Jimbo knowing it is an entirely different thing)

You know those moments where your whole concept of reality just...implodes?

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Pretty sure Hanners keeps a pill somewhere for that. I came to terms with my wacky vision of reality ages ago.

Plus, it's not like I need to be on a psychiatric ward. Yet.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

See, when we get into emphasizing the modifier, THE SKY IS THE LIMIT. *flails* *starts shipping Jimbo and Hanners* *realizes the implications* *flails more* *stops ship*
No, no, there is a limit. It's approximately at the point where Hannelore stops wearing pants.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Blackbird

What will this year's "turkey twist" be?

Faye and Angus talk and break up .......... 11 (12.9%)
Faye and Angus talk and resolve to make it work .......... 3 (3.5%)
Dora goes to confront Sven and finds him in bed with Faye .......... 9 (10.6%)
Dora goes to confront Sven and finds him in bed with CLAIRE! .......... 2 (2.4%)
Emily confesses her feelings for Marten .......... 4 (4.7%)
Emily confesses her feelings for Claire .......... 3 (3.5%)
Emily confesses her feelings for green peppers .......... 20 (23.5%)
Clinton learns about the SS Martenclaire .......... 20 (23.5%)

Station shows up in an AnthroPC chassis to pursue Hanners .......... 5 (5.9%)
Penelope actually does something interesting or memorable .......... 4 (4.7%)
Steve is seen eating breakfast, but he's having... pancakes?!? .......... 4 (4.7%)
Total Members Voted: 85

A dead heat just hours before the last pre-Thanksgiving comic!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Now here's a sickly-sweet interpretation. What if their deep compatibility is healing Marten's soul and giving him the relaxed confidence that comes with knowing you're with the right person?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Now here's a sickly-sweet interpretation. What if their deep compatibility is healing Marten's soul and giving him the relaxed confidence that comes with knowing you're with the right person?

This is my head canon, and you should all respect that.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

kryptoknight

• Emoticontraindication

I just sort of assumed that this is what is occuring.  That feeling of being at ease with yourself and each other that happens when you've met your match.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

I just sort of assumed that this is what is occurring.  That feeling of being at ease with yourself and each other that happens when you've met your match.

I'm sorry, you're speaking Martian to me.  This not only exists in real life, but can be ascertained on the first date?  WTF? 

I mean, obviously since Marten and Claire were friends first, he isn't worried she's going to change her mind.  Or that he'll suddenly do something which will be perceived as weird/creepy which will be a turn off.  But still, some level of new relationship jitters and/or mania is completely normal when you fall for someone. 

A Duck

• Curry sauce

I'm pretty sure that's the case. This is actually Marten's first relationship that doesn't start full of drama and, to be honest, doomed:
Dora: started abruptly soon after the Faye business ended. Ended because Dora couldn't get over Faye's "ghost", so to speak.
Padma: started soon before she left town and also right after her coworker confessed his feelings for her. Lasted only one date, ended miserably with Marten deciding not to go out with her again.
Tai's friend whose name I cannot remember: was purely casual, with the extra implication she REALLY wasn't into Marten by the fact that she was actually trying to find a boyfriend, despite the casual thing with him.

As for Marten and Claire... Everything has worked out perfectly well and drama-less. The only issue I can foresee in the near future is something minor with Clinton, MAYBE something very minor with Emily (pretty sure she absolutely ISN'T into Marten).

In the long run, maybe Claire's inexperience or potential insecurities caused by her parents' divorce might cause some problems, but, again, not anytime soon. Neither those will be as heavy as the Dora or Padma issues, though.

I'm sorry, you're speaking Martian to me.  This not only exists in real life, but can be ascertained on the first date?  WTF? 
IMHO yes. Your mileage may vary, though.

eschaton

• Furry furrier

I never felt this with anyone, ever.  Mind you, I was a late bloomer (I didn't date until 23...was too awkward for years to figure it out), and by 29 I was married.  Still, my experience with love boils down to:

1.  Feeling crazy strong borderline obsessive infatuation.  Can't get them out of my head, shiver when I thought about kissing them, etc.  These all flamed out within a matter of weeks - or they just never happened for other reasons (weren't into dating me, I was otherwise attached so it became a crush, etc).  I learned over time *not* to trust these feelings, because whenever I felt them, it didn't lead to what I wanted (a relationship), just some makeouts and pain.  But then again, that's just me.  I can see where both people happened to feel the frantic, butterflies-in-the-stomach love at once how one could fall madly in love. 

2.  People who I dated with an open mind, but didn't feel anything really strong to begin with.  Just potential in an intellectual sense - they seemed cool, I was attracted, we had things in common.  Eventually decided I liked them enough to be monogamous.  In some cases eventually decided love was the only way to describe my feelings.  Married the last one, needless to say. 

kryptoknight

• Emoticontraindication

I just sort of assumed that this is what is occurring.  That feeling of being at ease with yourself and each other that happens when you've met your match.

It can, yes.  I suppose I should have said "a match" because I don't mean to imply any kind of One True Love sort of thing.  However I do believe this sort of connection exists.  I sure as hell hope it does, otherwise what's the friggin point.  Doesn't mean the relationship will always remain that way. 

My wife and I had something similar once, but lost it.  We've both changed over the years and it's resulted in us drifting apart.  When we met I was a terribly socially awkward geek who got nervous as all hell around women.  Something about her though put me at ease and I was more confident and talkative.  She told me once she experienced something when we first started dating.  We, like Marten and Claire, had been friends for a while before we got together romantically so perhaps that helped.

I never felt this with anyone, ever.  Mind you, I was a late bloomer (I didn't date until 23...was too awkward for years to figure it out), and by 29 I was married.  Still, my experience with love boils down to:

1.  Feeling crazy strong borderline obsessive infatuation.  Can't get them out of my head, shiver when I thought about kissing them, etc.  These all flamed out within a matter of weeks - or they just never happened for other reasons (weren't into dating me, I was otherwise attached so it became a crush, etc).  I learned over time *not* to trust these feelings, because whenever I felt them, it didn't lead to what I wanted (a relationship), just some makeouts and pain.  But then again, that's just me.  I can see where both people happened to feel the frantic, butterflies-in-the-stomach love at once how one could fall madly in love. 

2.  People who I dated with an open mind, but didn't feel anything really strong to begin with.  Just potential in an intellectual sense - they seemed cool, I was attracted, we had things in common.  Eventually decided I liked them enough to be monogamous.  In some cases eventually decided love was the only way to describe my feelings.  Married the last one, needless to say.
1. This is called passion my friend and while all relationships must have it (in my opinion) to be successful, a relationship based on passion alone is doomed to fail.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Still, my experience with love boils down to:

And that's probably the end all be all for most of us - we can compute what we've encountered, and very little else makes sense.

I think we all project ourselves onto the story to a certain extent, and I understand "Are you kidding me?  No way someone reacts like that" as much as I understand "Squee!"

Mind you, "Squee!" makes more sense to me personally, but I can understand both responses.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

I never felt this with anyone, ever.  Mind you, I was a late bloomer (I didn't date until 23...was too awkward for years to figure it out), and by 29 I was married. 

I've never touched the sky of Jupiter. I've never seen DNA. I did see attack ships burn off the shoulder of Orion, but that's not important right now.

Seeing should not be believing. A certain amount of scepticism is a necessary survival trait. Too much is a survival impediment. There are a lot of different ways to see the world. Probably around seven billion or so. With that much variety in outlook, it's more sensible to assume that if someone can imagine it, someone else has already felt it. (After all, there are approximately 130 billion people. It's just that most of them are dead.) The whole thing is kinda like rule 34. Just with more porn, in an absolute count.

I find it easy to believe that people don't see the world the way I do. If they did, they would leave home less often and be more polite.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

The same is true in reverse I can assure you.

Somehow I read that as "my aim is true in reverse", which sounds absolutely brilliant!  :-D

Now I have the urge to play Elvis Costello records backwards.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Estron

• Emoticontraindication
  • Old-fart QC aficionado

Now I have the urge to play Elvis Costello records backwards.

Weirdly, Steve Nieve's keyboards sound exactly the same.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

Looks like Jeph may be driving in a snowstorm, late or no comic for us.
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

Srxjo

• Plantmonster
  • 死神

The true Wednesday cliffhanger, no comic at all! (But in all seriousness hopefully Jeph has no issues when driving with the snow.)

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Not gonna stop me from refreshing the page every half-hour, just to check.

But yeah, what Srxjo said.  Safe driving.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

comic, clairemom!

also panel 3 claireface.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot

You'd think after so many weeks now of being subjected to Claire cuteness I'd be immune to it.

Nope. Still smiling so much it hurts.
oh god

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Stay away from the stove, Claire, you'll spill those beans too.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Estron

• Emoticontraindication
  • Old-fart QC aficionado

Once more into the d'awwwwwwww before the turkeys show up.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I like Clairemom

She's smart.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...

I like Clairemom

She's smart.

Seems to be a recurring theme with moms in QC
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

"I'm your mother, I know everything."
-- Kala, Tarzan (Disney)

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Stay away from the stove, Claire, you'll spill those beans too.

$5 says Clairemom puts the pot on Claire's head, it'll cook faster from all the heat radiating off her.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Clairemom's smile is greater in panel 3. Her objection in panel 4 is nothing more than hollow teasing; she'd already made her assumptions! J'ACCUSE!  :-D

Also, d'awwwwww.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Clairemom sounds like Glinda the Good Witch in my head.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

BenRG

• coprophage

I do wonder if we're getting a window here onto Claire's home-life and her previous attitude to relationships. Maybe she's repeatedly told her mother that she doesn't need romantic entanglements and that the intellectual life of a librarian and educator is enough for her. Now, here she is, having returned from a date (with a young man that she can't stop talking about) and Mrs A is very pointedly not rubbing it in. Claire's quick wits are, after all, doing the job for her.

In some ways, it is a lovely indication of how close Claire is to her mother that she can be teased without a word! :-D
~~~~

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Claire suddenly became stereotypical white suburban girl for a second there. I wonder if during that brief period of time she could even.

Now seriously. I think her reaction is on the lines of the "thank you for caring" reaction. You know, when nobody cares about your well being after you come back from a long leave and you just need to tell everyone that you're well? Or you come back from vacation in Maui and you just have to tell how awesome it was? That type of deal. I assume that the critical overheating was her trying to keep all that EXPERIENCE for herself for about 2.5 seconds, and realizing it was not viable, she decided to tell (In what was obviously a pretty abrupt way, consequences of exploding after all)

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am

Hm, I can see Veronica as Elphaba.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

BenRG

• coprophage

Hm, I can see Veronica as Elphaba.

Oddly enough, Carrie Fisher has always been my mental Veronica.
~~~~

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

and Pintsize speaks for the forums. :p

More like the Internet. It is kinda sad that out of all the things this story arc is trying to do, the one thing people really want will ultimately be Rule 34 somewhere unofficially, if not already. And it'll cause JJ to RAGEQUIT and go to his other webcomic once he finds out.

Nah, maybe more like Yang's VA from RWBY. Wait....GODDAMNIT BARB!!

BrusselSprouts

• kind of awkward

Today's comic reminds me a lot of this

BenRG

• coprophage

Today's comic reminds me a lot of this

That is one lesser-recognised characteristic of Claire - She doesn't like having to be the one to direct the conversation to herself; she'd prefer it if people just noticed that things are going on her life but that doesn't seem to happen much!
~~~~

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference

This doesn't look like a "look at me" outburst like the earrings, this is more of a "guilty conscience" outburst.

I'm surprised her mum is so chill about her dating boys when Clinton is so protective.

BenRG

• coprophage

I'm surprised her mum is so chill about her dating boys when Clinton is so protective.

Given that Mrs A made a deliberate effort to get Marten and Claire together that morning, I suspect that she's been waiting for this time to come for a while. Remember that Marten "seems like a nice boy" in her words. So, so long as he doesn't push his luck or makes Claire uncomfortable, Mrs A is okay with it.

That said, I expect a toe-curlingly embarrassing conversation in Claire's immediate future about safe sex.

[edit]
I think that Mrs A's 'I see' in panel 2 was what triggered Claire. I don't know if Claire thought her mom was implying something other than a dinner date or if Claire was expecting her mom to ask follow-up questions. Either way, it set her off.
~~~~

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

I don't think she is chill. Even though Claire has known Marten for some time and talked quite a bit about him, she still goes out of her way to meet him. The cereal page leaves no doubt that the purpose was to assess him.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up