THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: End of Studio Ghibli  (Read 6171 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lines

• Awakened
Re: End of Studio Ghibli
« Reply #1 on: 03 Aug 2014, 14:43 »

Well, they have been looking for someone to take over the studio for a long time now and with Miyazaki sticking to his retirement this time, it was bound to happen. I'm hoping that When Marnie Was There turns out to be a success so they can end on a high note.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2 on: 03 Aug 2014, 15:00 »

Sad, if true.  Ghibli films are like nothing else when it comes to cheering me up, and are really the only ones I just *have* to see in the cinema (though, I confess, I usually grab a fansub long before it's released in the US).  I was hoping that Gorō Miyazaki, or someone else was being trained for an eventual take over.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #3 on: 03 Aug 2014, 15:09 »

More info (follow the link):

[tweet]496004121510821888[/tweet]
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #4 on: 03 Aug 2014, 15:43 »

Hello.  Still in denial.  Dammit (imagine a string of profanity like Yelling Bird or Sweet Tits Harriet would use).
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 03 Aug 2014, 15:54 »

Crap!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #6 on: 03 Aug 2014, 16:29 »

I... I just...

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #7 on: 03 Aug 2014, 16:48 »

It is a tribute to Hayao Miyazaki's storytelling skills that I first saw Kiki's Delivery Service in Japanese without subtitles and still managed to get 95% of what was going on.

Frankly, I'm not sure that Studio Ghibli closing is a bad thing. Miyazaki was the genius behind it, and without him the studio would be a disappointing shadow of what it once was.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #8 on: 03 Aug 2014, 19:00 »

Miyazaki sticking to his retirement this time
Well...he might not.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #9 on: 03 Aug 2014, 23:29 »

It appears reaction to that tweet was exaggerated.  Things may change, but it's not clear what:

[tweet]496099560109129729[/tweet]

http://kotaku.com/preview/studio-ghibli-is-not-dead-yet-1615520289?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2014, 08:34 »

Well...he might not.

Is there some info behind this or is it wishful thinking?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #11 on: 17 Aug 2014, 12:30 »

It's probably the latter, although Miyazaki saying that he's going to retire typically holds as much credibility as The Cure saying that "Head on the Door" would be their last album. 

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2014, 12:44 »

Yeah... But something around when The Wind Rises was released made me think he meant it this time. I know he's been meaning to do it for years, but...who knows. I just have a feeling he's done whereas before I never did.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2014, 14:38 »

My roommate just gave my DVD copies of some of the more beloved Studio Ghibli films, including my personal favorite Mononoke-Hime
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2014, 18:54 »

i think that i've only ever seen three or four miyazaki films.

i really should rectify that one of these days.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #15 on: 17 Aug 2014, 19:28 »

Well...he might not.

Is there some info behind this or is it wishful thinking?
No new info, just that he's said he was going to retire before and didn't. So...the latter, yeah.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #16 on: 17 Aug 2014, 19:42 »

i think that i've only ever seen three or four miyazaki films.

i really should rectify that one of these days.

Have a Miyazaki Marathon! One of my friends and I watched most of his movies every night until we'd watched them all (basically everything from Nausicaa through Howl's minus Porco Rosso) and it was fun. (I also still need to see the Castle of Cagliostro, but I know nothing about Lupin III, so I'm not in a rush.) A few friends and I did a Ghibli fest where we watched several of Studio Ghibli's movies and I definitely recommend NOT watching them in chronological order if you do a non-stop marathon. A lot of themes get repeated and it's also nice to break up tone. Some of the older movies are more playful and some of the middle-later ones are very serious. It's good to alternate between lighthearted and serious just for sanity's sake.

Personally I need to watch more of the non-Miyazaki ones. The only ones I've seen is Whisper of the Heart (good), Tales of Earthsea (blah), and The Secret World of Arietty (it was ok). I've heard Grave of the Fireflies is good and From Up on Poppy Hill is supposed to be good. I saw a clip of the animation from The Tale of Princess Kaguya and it looks gorgeous, so hopefully when it's released here, it'll be shown at the local theater who shows most of Ghibli's movies. And I want to see When Marnie Was There. And obviously I'd like to watch all of the others at least once, but I think the ones I mentioned are my personal priority.

TL;DR: Just watch them all. It's worth it.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #17 on: 17 Aug 2014, 22:30 »

Watch Grave of the Fireflies as a double feature with something upbeat and cheerful. It'll punch a hole in your soul otherwise. That anime's brutal.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug 2014, 01:17 »

IIRC, that's why in Japan they put it on a double feature with Tonari no Totoro upon release.  Of course, Grave of the Fireflies was Takahata and not Miyazaki.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #19 on: 18 Aug 2014, 05:32 »

Yep. I was going to say do Totoro, but most of the thread has seen it, and I sometimes dislike matching up someone else's billing...

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #20 on: 30 Aug 2014, 12:49 »

By the way, if you're looking for a Studio Ghibli substitute, I can recommend the works of Cartoon Saloon. They're an Irish animation studio with one feature film already released, The Secret of Kells, which is just amazing - I've heard it described as "the movie Miyazaki would have made if he were Irish," which isn't a bad description. They have their second film, Song of the Sea, scheduled to premier at the Toronto Film Festival next week, and based on the trailer it looks even more Miyazaki-like.

"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #22 on: 27 Nov 2014, 11:19 »

Miyazaki will have to stop eventually. Takahata too. There was a promising potential successor to Miyazaki and Takahata: Yoshifumi Kondō. He died in 1998 from a disease that may have been caused by overworking.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #23 on: 27 Nov 2014, 14:06 »

Watch Grave of the Fireflies as a double feature with something upbeat and cheerful. It'll punch a hole in your soul otherwise. That anime's brutal.
"Grave of the Fireflies" is very good, very hard to watch, and very salutary for those of us who were raised on stories of the "Japanese devils" by our grandparents. I class it as one of those movies that everyone should see at least once. Just cartoons? I don't think so.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #24 on: 27 Nov 2014, 14:25 »

Mmmm. That argument hasn't held water for a very long time. In other news the new Ghibli film coming out soon looks fantastic, beautiful and very unique animation style.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #25 on: 29 Nov 2014, 17:00 »

I'd like to watch Grave of the Fireflies again someday (I have a DVD boxset that includes a French translation of the novel by Akiyuki Nosaka the movie is based on), but I'm too afraid to do so without having someone to cuddle with.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #26 on: 29 Nov 2014, 17:21 »

Yeah, one does almost need someone else there to hold onto.  Last time I tried a rewatch, I lasted 15 min before I had to shut it off and watch something happier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up