• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This Week's Tasty Snack!

Juicy Stalking
- 8 (12.5%)
Clintemily? Clintelore? Clintaye? Can any of this be good?
- 24 (37.5%)
Robot Roommate Hijinx?
- 15 (23.4%)
Claireten Squee?
- 10 (15.6%)
Clairetenmom Conspiracy?
- 7 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 8-13 December 2014 (Strips 2850-2854)  (Read 64364 times)

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
Re: WCDT 8-13 December 2014 (Strips 2850-2854)
« Reply #150 on: 10 Dec 2014, 01:42 »

Well, it would be kind of awkward if Emily responds by telling Marten "I CAN'T date Clinton, I'm already dating YOU!"  :evil:
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2014, 01:52 by Lubricus »
What do you know about Pokémon?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #151 on: 10 Dec 2014, 02:00 »

@Lubricus,

I have a slight variant on this: Clinton is Claire's sister. Claire is dating Marten. Emily goes out with Clinton because (to quote her) "I'm dating Marten at one degree of separation!" Clinton remarks that it's the best deal he's likely to get, so he's going for it!

AWK-ward!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #152 on: 10 Dec 2014, 02:04 »

Ill accept any crazy explanation for Emily and Clinton dating if I get to see a family dinner including Marten, both Augustus siblings AND Emily!  :-D
What do you know about Pokémon?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #153 on: 10 Dec 2014, 02:34 »

So... Looking at panel 3: Is Marten going to end up as Clinton's surrogate big brother figure? As Marten said to Faye at the Lakeside Party: "Looks like we've adopted another one!"
~~~~

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #154 on: 10 Dec 2014, 07:37 »

The one thing that Marten didn't expect to happen today seems to have happened: he's found himself becoming Clinton's mentor in the ways of behaving like a mature man with women. It depends when Mr A ran off but it is possible that Clinton has not had a proper male role model since he started adolescence. His current template could be strangers and the TV. He could do worse than Marten, I suppose.

Woah there. What exactly is the purpose of a "proper male role model?"

This is the patriarchy, different social pressures are placed on males and females but what is proper about it? Why do you think any failing on Clinton's part stems from a lack of proper role models?
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #155 on: 10 Dec 2014, 07:45 »

This is the patriarchy, different social pressures are placed on males and females but what is proper about it? Why do you think any failing on Clinton's part stems from a lack of proper role models?

We instinctively develop our behaviours, including social limits, on parental and other 'mentor' figures as we grow up. It is also the case that we tend to 'imprint' strongly on figures that we perceive to be of the same gender. This process is mostly subconscious. However, it does mean that it is quite possible that Clinton's emotional health and social awareness has been negatively impacted upon by the fact that the relationship between his father and mother had likely been unhealthy for some time at the time of his father's departure. This may have led him to internalise unhealthy behaviours as a 'proper' template for a male towards a female relative. It does not even have to have been openly abusive, only selfish, domineering and uncaring.

Marten is a very different personality from his and clearly has a lot more healthy and balanced viewpoint of women. Maybe, just maybe, by following Marten's lead, Clinton can interact with women in a way that is not possessive and/or almost completely uncaring of their feelings.

Males and females tend to have noticeably different behaviour. This is not only social (nurture) but also biological (nature) in origin. You may not like it but this is just a fact of what we as a species are. One of the things we learn from our gender-specific 'role models' (I use that term lacking anything else suitable) is how we interpret those instinctive drives in real life. Clinton's patterning is unfortunately a bit too aggressive and possessive. Marten may show him a different way.
~~~~

dexeron

• Obscure cultural reference
    • My Twitter
« Reply #156 on: 10 Dec 2014, 07:49 »

All I know is Claire and Marten are holding hands in the first panel so don't mind me, I'm just going to do a little happy dance over here.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #157 on: 10 Dec 2014, 07:55 »

All I know is Claire and Marten are holding hands in the first panel so don't mind me, I'm just going to do a little happy dance over here.

Additionally, Clinton doesn't seem to mind (care) so, IMHO at least, he's accepted the relationship for now. If anything, he seems more focussed on the fact that Marten is going to introduce him to a girl!

I'm not sure how long it's been since the post-Wedding incident at the Library so I'm not sure how long it's been since Clinton last met Emily that we know of. I wonder how much he remembers about her?
~~~~

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #158 on: 10 Dec 2014, 08:01 »

Emily is rather unforgettable, so he probably remembers quite a bit.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #159 on: 10 Dec 2014, 08:15 »

Males and females tend to have noticeably different behaviour. This is not only social (nurture) but also biological (nature) in origin. You may not like it but this is just a fact of what we as a species are. One of the things we learn from our gender-specific 'role models' (I use that term lacking anything else suitable) is how we interpret those instinctive drives in real life. Clinton's patterning is unfortunately a bit too aggressive and possessive. Marten may show him a different way.

There's no proof of this, by any standard of proof that makes good science. The differences between males and females as broad groups are often smaller than the differences between two individual males or females (or others).

Some of those differences are probably real, but which ones? Nobody knows. Find a source who thinks they've found a smoking gun, and you'll find a dozen peers poking real holes in their methodology. Indeed, since most of the work in this area is psychology, what you usually end up with is a detailed study of the white, middle class, college student.

If you've got to make sweeping generalizations about who people ought to build social structures, the most logical thing to do is assume that people are.

Do boys tend to start building identity by modeling men? Pretty much. Is that a good thing? I'm gonna have to say no. I live on Earth. I see the results of that. Gamergate. The inability to get movie about one of the bajillion woman superheroes made. Serious people seriously asking if Hillary Clinton can be President and a Grandmother at the same time.

Could Marten be a role model to Clinton? I suppose. He could do worse. But he could do just as well with Hanners as a role model (Be polite, push against your limitations, consider the wisdom offered by others, as a last resort: scream so loud it corrects vision defects).

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #160 on: 10 Dec 2014, 08:22 »

Do boys tend to start building identity by modeling men? Pretty much. Is that a good thing? I'm gonna have to say no.

The point is that the process is instinctual. So, whether or not it is a 'good' thing is meaningless. It simply imposes upon us the responsibility to be good role models. Unfortunately, it doesn't always happen.
~~~~

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #161 on: 10 Dec 2014, 09:00 »

I wasn't so sure about it, but after rereading the archives a little I'd say that Emily and Clinton might actually fit together, if only as friends (hell, any regular social interaction might help Clinton). The way he is invested in AIs, his love for weird follow-ups, it might work. Also between 2068 and 2072 we can see that he is capable of kinda normal human interaction. Sure, he's stepping on some toes there, but it isn't too bad.

Edit: Also compare Emily's and Clinton reactions to seeing Momo.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Cattus

• Plantmonster
« Reply #162 on: 10 Dec 2014, 09:03 »

He's also got a massive entitlement complex, he's so protective of Claire that he's almost stifling (trying to take the role of the traditional father who locks a daughter away from potential suitors), and he has no understanding of boundaries.

Eh, I think that's kind of harsh and a bit unfair. From his response at Emily's party when Claire tells him that she told Marten about being trans, his immediate reaction was "He wasn't a JERK about it, was he?" suggesting that Claire has frequently been the target of bullies. Claire didn't start off her arc having high-flying self esteem, so this may have been an issue. Also, their father fucked over their mother by cheating. That likely pushed Clinton into overdrive, not wanting another male to hurt the women in his life.

Also, Clinton's not, IMO, acted in the way you suggest. He didn't even pitch a fit when Claire told him that she and Marten were dating. He was mildly snarky about it. I actually thought Claire's "can't you be happy for me?!" was a bit overwrought there. It's not like he threatened to castrate Marten or suggesting pistols at dawn or somesuch.

I sort of feel about Clinton what I've felt about Dora. A couple of mistakes and anything they do is viewed through a cynical lens. No one is disputing that Clinton was extremely creepy toward Hannelore. But it's been ages since then and he's acted like less of a disaster in subsequent meetings. He loves his sister. He's not keeping her in shackles or guilt-tripping her for having a life. He's a 21 year old who has had to deal with a lot of shit - losing his hand, losing his father, and adjusting to having a sister. All things considered, he's not such a bad egg, in my view.

I'm glad someone took the time to write what many of us are thinking.  There's no doubt that Clinton presents a crusty or cranky demeanor but I also think it's self (and Claire) preservation and protection.  He realizes that he is not a shining example of either machismo or personality and he tries to be 'tough' but I think he's a good person at heart.

Cattus

• Plantmonster
« Reply #163 on: 10 Dec 2014, 09:11 »

If Jeph ever tended to fall into standard sitcom tropes, I'd expect Emily to misunderstand Marten as asking HER out when he tells her about Clinton. But Jeph rarely falls into such obvious storytelling, so I'd expect him to add his own twist even if that's what he's planning.

Fortunately, I don't think Jeph would ever do that.  I do not remember any time that a redonculous 'rom-com' misunderstanding formed the basis for a QC theme thread.  It's one of the things I enjoy about QC - Our 'friends' in the QC world act the way we generally would see them act in our world, perhaps even with less drama.  That's why they are endearing.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #164 on: 10 Dec 2014, 09:28 »

I wasn't so sure about it, but after rereading the archives a little I'd say that Emily and Clinton might actually fit together, if only as friends (hell, any regular social interaction might help Clinton). The way he is invested in AIs, his love for weird follow-ups, it might work. Also between 2068 and 2072 we can see that he is capable of kinda normal human interaction. Sure, he's stepping on some toes there, but it isn't too bad.

Edit: Also compare Emily's and Clinton reactions to seeing Momo.

I pretty much agree with this.  Claire gets as excited about library science as Clinton does about science and technology; I think Claire has had the opportunity to get her chill on as a result of hanging out with Marten and the gang.

It'll be neat to see if Clinton is allowed to develop beyond his initial definition, and double plus neat if Emily develops alongside - even, perhaps especially, if the relationship is platonic.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #165 on: 10 Dec 2014, 09:30 »

Well, it would be kind of awkward if Emily responds by telling Marten "I CAN'T date Clinton, I'm already dating YOU!"  :evil:
Ouch. But not entirely impossible. Emily might consider the smooch to be the beginning of a committed relationship with Marten. Claire is going to believe this, and will accuse Marten of cheating on Emily. Things will go downward from there.

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #166 on: 10 Dec 2014, 10:44 »

Ouch. But not entirely impossible. Emily might consider the smooch to be the beginning of a committed relationship with Marten. Claire is going to believe this, and will accuse Marten of cheating on Emily. Things will go downward from there.
No way. Leave the couple to have at least a few months of a happy relationship, even Dora had that.

Marten and Claire should be the B-Couple for a while. Leave the A-Couple problems to Faye and (maybe) Sven.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Emily already knows. Tai, remember?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #167 on: 10 Dec 2014, 11:19 »

@Lubricus,

I have a slight variant on this: Clinton is Claire's sister. Claire is dating Marten. Emily goes out with Clinton because (to quote her) "I'm dating Marten at one degree of separation!" Clinton remarks that it's the best deal he's likely to get, so he's going for it!

AWK-ward!

Possible, but you may be just grep-sing as straws there. I think what Duck sed is more likely.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #168 on: 10 Dec 2014, 11:38 »

All these CATs around and their *nix puns. Why tho. Why did we descend into that. LESS PUNNING, MORE COMIC DISCUSSION.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #169 on: 10 Dec 2014, 13:11 »

Yes! Let's swap all these puns for more pages of comic discussion.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #170 on: 10 Dec 2014, 13:39 »

Do boys tend to start building identity by modeling men? Pretty much. Is that a good thing? I'm gonna have to say no.

The point is that the process is instinctual. So, whether or not it is a 'good' thing is meaningless. It simply imposes upon us the responsibility to be good role models. Unfortunately, it doesn't always happen.

My point is that there's literally (not figuratively) no evidence of any such instinctive process. We simply do not know if the effect is nature or nurture. Male and female are facts of the species. Man and woman are constructs. You can't assemble the thought "Boys unconsciously look to men as role models" without first understanding the construct exists. It's equally likely that boys look to men, not as "role models" so much as "clues as to how the construct works."

Its not the same thing. If instinct is involved in the latter, its no different than the instinct to bang on pots. There is a thing. What happens when I poke the thing?

Clinton has issues but there's no reason, yet, to trace those issues to abandonment. Certainly no reason to trace them to lack of a penis weilding authority figure. They might derive from Clinton being kind of a jerk. Or maybe they come of Clinton being short, scrawny, bookish, and younger sibling to a "non-standard" person. Kids are cruel to that which is different, and Clinton is pretty much different in all aspects. Also: ginger.

Whatever your theory of mind, children want approval from their elders. Claire's behavior would suggest that Clinton is constantly on the cusp of that from her. She disapproves, vociferously, but then adds a sideways compliment. That doesn't explain anything other than their relationship. One, standard, sibling rivalry.

Beyond that, Clinton has shown a "Lack of boundaries" and a "Tendency to try to share his excitement in inappropriate ways." In short, he's a fairly typical man (Even in the QCverse. Martin is atypical of male characters...shit, he's atypical of characters. Pretty much the only other character to show his level of reserve is Henry. The apple didn't fall far, if it fell at all). As a human male with no interest in sportsball, I can tell you that other human males--and more than a few females--don't grasp that it's not an appropriate topic with me. For sometime I managed to run in groups of like minded humans, but there was always someone who had to geek out about the Worldbowl or Super Series. Clinton happens to geek out about something that the majority doesn't care about. He's a sports fan in a town full of rabid ballet enthusiasts.

He's still got issues, but he's never actually done anything worse than things Sven, Angus, Steve, and Dale have done. He just catches more shit than most of the cast.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #171 on: 10 Dec 2014, 15:55 »

Whether it is instinctual or cultural typically boys imprint what they see as "being a man" from what they see around them and then accordingly will then become that impression. So either way the end result is the same Clinton possibly not having positive male role models to imprint on may have negatively affected his personality. Moreover Marten's seemingly chill attitude may have a positive effect on Clinton.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #172 on: 10 Dec 2014, 16:39 »

Whether it is instinctual or cultural typically boys imprint what they see as "being a man" from what they see around them and then accordingly will then become that impression. So either way the end result is the same Clinton possibly not having positive male role models to imprint on may have negatively affected his personality. Moreover Marten's seemingly chill attitude may have a positive effect on Clinton.

This presupposes that Mrs Agustus was incapable of raising here son without a strong man to do the heavy lifting.

That's the patriarchy talking. That's why valkygrrl was right in the first place. Nature is an appeal to facts not in evidence. Clinton's issues as the result of a broken home is an appeal to facts not in evidence. EVERYONE is like Clinton. It's just that most people's boundary breaking and excessive enthusiasm is socially accepted. Marten will drop into a digression on bands you've never heard of in a heartbeat. Faye will straight up assault and batter you.

Clinton can be a dick, but he's no worse in that category than Sven. It's easy to think of him as a villian because he was a threat to Hanners for a moment. But, I submit that his reaction was fairly normal. First, he'd basically just met his own personal Jesus. Second, the creepy he was about to pull reduces to the same kind of shit people pull on celebrities all the time. All things considered, Hanners is a celebrity. The only reason TMZ isn't camped out in front of the building is likely that Beatrice A) paid off all the editors, B) had every editor who looked at the story sideways killed, and their families, and their dogs too, C) owns TMZ. (Station is probably also involved.)

When confronted with the fact that Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham is a person with friends and a life, he not only backed down, he kept the secret (evidenced by the fact that May was shocked to find Hanners. Given the AI's who have met Hanners and not realized who she was, it's likely that the media doesn't even have a good idea what she looks like. Clinton knows but hasn't told anyone).

Clinton is overly passionate and a little self absorbed. Compare to Claire who has displayed the same tendencies (First appearance, ear rings--several times). No one's making the argument that Mrs. Augustus was poor role model to Claire.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...
« Reply #173 on: 10 Dec 2014, 16:41 »

Also: ginger.

Ginger men catch way too much flak for their hair color. Most get teased the hell out of for it, and not just in the UK, even out here in southern California. I had one scout in my troop dye his hair for months before he finally committed suicide because of the teasing and unkindness, at school and at scouts.
While women catch some of it too and catch some different flak (fetishism and stereotypes based on the Fiery redhead trope), it is usually seen as an addition to charm/beauty/power.

This could be a part of Clinton's character, who knows how much he got teased for it himself as a youth? For that and for his loss of a hand. Projecting a tough attitude as a way of dealing with outside pressures isn't uncommon at all. He also probably felt the need to protect Claire while she was figuring out her gender, and was almost certainly getting teased by both boys and girls
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #174 on: 10 Dec 2014, 16:47 »

wtf@ginger
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #175 on: 10 Dec 2014, 17:14 »

The way Clinton acted toward Momo weighs against him in my opinion. Though, on the other discussion, there's no logical connection between mistreating robots and missing a father figure.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #176 on: 10 Dec 2014, 17:41 »

The only reason TMZ isn't camped out in front of the building is likely that Beatrice A) paid off all the editors, B) had every editor who looked at the story sideways killed, and their families, and their dogs too, C) owns TMZ. (Station is probably also involved.)

OR... TMZ doesn't exist in the QC universe.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

ASB84

« Reply #177 on: 10 Dec 2014, 17:45 »

Eh, I think that's kind of harsh and a bit unfair. From his response at Emily's party when Claire tells him that she told Marten about being trans, his immediate reaction was "He wasn't a JERK about it, was he?" suggesting that Claire has frequently been the target of bullies. Claire didn't start off her arc having high-flying self esteem, so this may have been an issue. Also, their father fucked over their mother by cheating. That likely pushed Clinton into overdrive, not wanting another male to hurt the women in his life.

Also, Clinton's not, IMO, acted in the way you suggest. He didn't even pitch a fit when Claire told him that she and Marten were dating. He was mildly snarky about it. I actually thought Claire's "can't you be happy for me?!" was a bit overwrought there. It's not like he threatened to castrate Marten or suggesting pistols at dawn or somesuch.

I sort of feel about Clinton what I've felt about Dora. A couple of mistakes and anything they do is viewed through a cynical lens. No one is disputing that Clinton was extremely creepy toward Hannelore. But it's been ages since then and he's acted like less of a disaster in subsequent meetings. He loves his sister. He's not keeping her in shackles or guilt-tripping her for having a life. He's a 21 year old who has had to deal with a lot of shit - losing his hand, losing his father, and adjusting to having a sister. All things considered, he's not such a bad egg, in my view.

The one thing that Marten didn't expect to happen today seems to have happened: he's found himself becoming Clinton's mentor in the ways of behaving like a mature man with women. It depends when Mr A ran off but it is possible that Clinton has not had a proper male role model since he started adolescence. His current template could be strangers and the TV. He could do worse than Marten, I suppose.

I agree completely, on all counts. Clinton is not without his faults, and he's not a great judge of character, but I don't think his concern for his sister comes from a bad place, or that he's a terrible, irredeemable jerk. I actually think his behaviour and attitude in the past few strips has been an improvement on what we've seen in the past. He still has some growing up to do, some perspective to gain, and arguably some behaviour to atone for. But he's hardly a complete monster.

On the other hand, though, I have to admit that I'm liking Claire a lot less at the moment. Look at the things she's saying to or about Clinton in his presence. To be honest, they're kind of mean, and hypocritical from someone who has her own social awkwardness and insecurities. She's previously admitted that he's "fun to pick on"...when it comes down to it, I think that Claire is just as antagonistic as Clinton, and that probably plays into some of his issues.

It's a shame, because Claire should be one of my favourites, as she's interesting and I love puns. But yeah, the way she keeps putting Clinton down...well, she doesn't come off as being any better than he is, and I'm finding myself souring on her as a character because of that.

As for Gabby, I actually think it was a good decision to put her on a bus. Without much of a character, she was just another lady in a comic whose cast is primarily made up of women to begin with, so she got lost in the shuffle. It doesn't help that she was introduced at the same time as two characters that facilitate interesting story arcs and good punchlines (Claire), and amusing non-sequitur humour (Emily). It's also realistic in that not everyone you meet is going to stick around, people do changes courses/schools/career paths etc, and not everyone is going to become a close friend or member of the social circle.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #178 on: 10 Dec 2014, 18:55 »

New comic is theoretically up (though it's currently a broken image).

The text under it says "Emily was an excellent student." Which now has me worried that Clinton has accidentally killed her.  :psyduck:

edit -- (It's working now) Yeah, that happened a few times with Mathematica notebooks I've written.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Srxjo

• Plantmonster
  • 死神
« Reply #179 on: 10 Dec 2014, 18:57 »

No broken link on my side, you might want to refresh, the comic goes onto show how Clinton knows Emily.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #180 on: 10 Dec 2014, 18:58 »

Heh. Hehehehe, this comic is nice. I like it. So Clinton thinks Emily outweirds him?
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #181 on: 10 Dec 2014, 19:16 »

I don't understand why everyone ( in the comic) seems to have forgotten that Clinton has met Emily before, in the library and at the lake party, where she was the hostess.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #182 on: 10 Dec 2014, 19:26 »

Is this a Dune reference? I haven't read it yet. Who's the NRO? Also, I kinda miss Emily's longer hair.

Also, never heard of any of Jeph's Top 10 again. Although I bought Disclosure's "Settle" on his advice and that bored me.

Nyithra

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #183 on: 10 Dec 2014, 19:27 »

I have no idea what clinton is saying in the last panel.
Follow your heart, but when your heart starts to shit all over your life, follow your brain.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #184 on: 10 Dec 2014, 19:34 »

Why wouldn't this have come up at one of their earlier meetings? It's not like this is the first time he's seen her (or interacted with her).
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #185 on: 10 Dec 2014, 19:37 »

I don't understand why everyone ( in the comic) seems to have forgotten that Clinton has met Emily before, in the library and at the lake party, where she was the hostess.

Jeph forgot. But he remembered and corrected the mistake yesterday. But not today.

Welcome to the horrors of working ahead!

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #187 on: 10 Dec 2014, 19:42 »

My guess is, he recognized Emily before, but since he didn't have much connection with her at the lake house or the library, he probably didn't think much about her (or even remember her name well enough to make the connection in Monday's strip).  Now, though, seeing her as a potential future date, he's made the connection that That Girl From Computer Sciences = Emily the Intern = someone Marten and my sister want to set me up with?!
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #188 on: 10 Dec 2014, 19:44 »

Also, never heard of any of Jeph's Top 10 again. Although I bought Disclosure's "Settle" on his advice and that bored me.

If you like electronica or techno, the Aphex Twin release "Syro" is excellent.

But I had more success the other night when he was tweeting about bands and youtube videos. Learned about "Scale the Summit" and "Animals As Leaders" both instrumental metal bands that made my day and drained my wallet badly.
Emily is the Avatar.

Estron

• Emoticontraindication
  • Old-fart QC aficionado
« Reply #189 on: 10 Dec 2014, 19:49 »

My guess is, he recognized Emily before, but since he didn't have much connection with her at the lake house or the library, he probably didn't think much about her (or even remember her name well enough to make the connection in Monday's strip).
I would think her demand for an interview, calling him "Mister Robot Hand" in the library,  would be hard to forget.

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more
« Reply #190 on: 10 Dec 2014, 20:01 »

Is this a Dune reference? I haven't read it yet. Who's the NRO?
I don't see any Dune references.  The NRO can stand for a lot of things, but I'm guessing that Clinton means the National Reconnaissance Office
I have no idea what clinton is saying in the last panel.
That the National Reconnaissance Office used an Electromagnetic Pulse (something which has extremely deleterious effects on many electronics and especially non-optical computer parts) to destroy Emily's final project, as a precautionary measure.
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #191 on: 10 Dec 2014, 20:13 »

"Types of Frogs?"

Also, I'm going to make Emily and her glowing laptop my new GRUB splash page.
8-)
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #192 on: 10 Dec 2014, 20:21 »

This flashback is another hint at how QC will end.   Some nameless horror will use Hannelore's ear piercings to manifest itself in reality and destroy the Earth. 

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #193 on: 10 Dec 2014, 20:57 »

"Types of Frogs?"

I actually thought it was 'types of farts', which would fit in more with QC

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...
« Reply #194 on: 10 Dec 2014, 20:59 »

Even more confirmation that Emily and Clinton share similar interests! The more I think about this the more I want Clinton/Emily to happen and work, although I think he'll need to chill out a little more.

Humor-wise he could make an excellent straight-man to Emily's bizarre antics
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #195 on: 10 Dec 2014, 21:01 »

Jeph forgot. But he remembered and corrected the mistake yesterday. But not today.

Welcome to the horrors of working ahead!

What did the original comic say a couple of days ago?

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #196 on: 10 Dec 2014, 21:17 »

'Let's introduce him to Emily' changed to 'Let's set him up with Emily'.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #197 on: 10 Dec 2014, 21:43 »

That the National Reconnaissance Office used an Electromagnetic Pulse (something which has extremely deleterious effects on many electronics and especially non-optical computer parts) to destroy Emily's final project, as a precautionary measure.

Ahh, now it makes sense.

Also: Jeph's been on a roll with a the "cute smiling girl in a dress" this week.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #198 on: 10 Dec 2014, 21:53 »

'Let's introduce him to Emily' changed to 'Let's set him up with Emily'.

Ah, thanks!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #199 on: 10 Dec 2014, 22:11 »

Mauve glow

Definitely not Sauron then.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up