• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This Week's Tasty Snack!

Juicy Stalking
- 8 (12.5%)
Clintemily? Clintelore? Clintaye? Can any of this be good?
- 24 (37.5%)
Robot Roommate Hijinx?
- 15 (23.4%)
Claireten Squee?
- 10 (15.6%)
Clairetenmom Conspiracy?
- 7 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 8-13 December 2014 (Strips 2850-2854)  (Read 64300 times)

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
Re: WCDT 8-13 December 2014 (Strips 2850-2854)
« Reply #250 on: 11 Dec 2014, 09:50 »

Hm... Thinking it through a bit: Emily's code would have to have been skilled to warrant an EMP wipe. Unwise, perhaps, but skilled. Maybe there's a hint of awe behind Clinton's hesitation?
Mistakes, ahoy!

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #251 on: 11 Dec 2014, 10:13 »

Hm... Thinking it through a bit: Emily's code would have to have been skilled to warrant an EMP wipe. Unwise, perhaps, but skilled. Maybe there's a hint of awe behind Clinton's hesitation?

Maybe in the QC universe it's easy to mistakenly program skynet in AI 101, especially when watching cat videos at the same time.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #252 on: 11 Dec 2014, 10:15 »

Little-known fact: Cat videos are the method that Skynet uses to communicate between its nodes.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #253 on: 11 Dec 2014, 10:20 »

Obligatory XKCD:

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #254 on: 11 Dec 2014, 10:28 »

The "computational Demonology"-concept is definately a reference to the Laundry series

It could be, but not definitely. Wikipedias saying those started in 2004 and the concepts been done way before that. Shin Megami Tensei series did it in the early 90s(And I wouldn't be surprised if they stole the idea from something even earlier). Or he saw that one episode of buffy where a demon got in a computer. Or something else. Or he just came up with it himself.  :psyduck:

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #255 on: 11 Dec 2014, 11:09 »

Wasn't SMIF a women's only college? Why are there males in the classroom?
Is Clinton a graduate student? I don't know specifically about Smif, but I know some women's colleges do accept male graduate students.

In real life, Smith and UMass are part of the Five College Consortium. This program allows students from any of the five colleges in the Pioneer Valley (UMass, Smith, Amherst, Hampshire, and Mount Holyoke) to take classes at any other school (Jeph went to Hampshire and would know about this program). I believe that this attribute extends to graduate programs. Clinton might also be an undergrad in a graduate student class, or Emily could be a grad student in an upper-level undergrad class. The fact that they go to different schools in the Pioneer Valley does not preclude them from taking classes together.

Additionally, maybe this comic is a flashback to undergrad, and Emily went to UMass with Clinton. Also, do we know that Emily is a grad student at Smif? She could be a grad student at UMass.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #256 on: 11 Dec 2014, 11:13 »

Emily 'The Dark Lady of Spaghetti Logic' Azuma

Considering my avatar is Osaka, I should change two things and make that my personal text. But I wont. It's not mine.

And could this mean that she was actually invoking FSM and she misread?
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am
« Reply #257 on: 11 Dec 2014, 11:55 »

If Clinton doesn't work for them, how did he know about the attack?

Clinton: "So how was your weekend?"
Emily: "Some men from NRO came and EMPed my final project ^_^"
Clinton: "...uh".
Emily: "I also learned some new facts about bunnies!"
Clinton: "..."
I've got a theory, it must be bunnies. </Anya>

Damnit she was the best thing in that show :( RIP

I was going to write how it's potentially plausible for Clinton to react in the way he did, but 2 people beat me to it. So now I've got nothing. ButtsButtsButtsButtsButtsButtsButtsButtsButtsButtsButtsButts

In addendum:  Hoping for some Emily style weirdness tomorrow, been a good while since she's been in the strip.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #258 on: 11 Dec 2014, 12:24 »

I imagine all PCs in that auditorium (perhaps on the whole campus) was destroyed by the EMP, because of lack of accuracy from orbit, or out of fear from contamination, or just to make sure. That would definitely have made an impression, and not contributed to Emily's popularity.
As to Emily's skills, I guess it was more of an accident. She would not have made a conscious design choice to disturb the Great Old Ones. But somehow she must have opened a channel.

dexeron

• Obscure cultural reference
    • My Twitter
« Reply #259 on: 11 Dec 2014, 12:46 »

Is it required to be a student of the school whose library you're interning for?  Emily might only be interning at SMIF, but attending classes elsewhere.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #260 on: 11 Dec 2014, 13:58 »

I think the NRO is like MIB

But without Neuralisers.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2014, 17:41 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #261 on: 11 Dec 2014, 14:05 »

But without Neuralisers.

HANNERS: "I'm not allowed to talk about it. But we're working on that technology."
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Kairi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #262 on: 11 Dec 2014, 15:21 »

As a note to those saying Clinton's surprise is... surprising: I was the witness to a conversation last month between two people who met at an overnight writing event and discovered while there that they literally sit in the same row on the same side of the room in a college class. And had never noticed each other. So, you can see people and not have it register strongly--in this case, Clinton remembers Emily from class but not from elsewhere. Who knows! (I am of the assume-the-comic-creator-is-always-right-and-try-to-justify-things-for-them camp, if that helps. Just how my brain works.)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #263 on: 11 Dec 2014, 15:53 »

The "computational Demonology"-concept is definately a reference to the Laundry series

It could be, but not definitely. Wikipedias saying those started in 2004 and the concepts been done way before that. Shin Megami Tensei series did it in the early 90s(And I wouldn't be surprised if they stole the idea from something even earlier). Or he saw that one episode of buffy where a demon got in a computer. Or something else. Or he just came up with it himself.  :psyduck:

I didn't know about Shin Megami Tensei - is it any good?

My money would still be on the Laundry series though, since there are indications that Jeph likes Charlie Stross' work (Stross was one of the guests at MartenDad's wedding, e.g.). He seems to be well-versed in all the contemporary SF-bigwigs and builds in references to Herbert (Dune - e.g. the Iiiiiiiiiiih-Cha! ), William Gibson (The name of the store that sold Momo's upgraded chassis is 'Idoru' - the same as the last book in Gibson's Bridge trilogy) - I'm still waiting for a Doctrow reference ...

Stross is a master at repurposing ideas & making them his own, though - He does Cyberpunk, near-future SF, Space opera, you name it - I wouldn't be surprise if he got the idea for the Laundry from Shin Megami Tensei.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #264 on: 11 Dec 2014, 15:54 »

I can fail to recognize someone if I see them in a new context.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #265 on: 11 Dec 2014, 16:06 »

(I am of the assume-the-comic-creator-is-always-right-and-try-to-justify-things-for-them camp, if that helps. Just how my brain works.)

Put more baldly, I don't just assume they're right - they simply are.  I don't say that to defend Jeph or attack anyone else; it's just a fact of our relative positions.  He puts something on the digital page for QC, and it's canon.  Just like that.  It may not make sense, but unless he changes it for the sake of continuity or retcons it, what you see on the page is what happened.

That we are here reading it and doing the occasional contortion to satisfy the hobgoblins of consistency says more about his long-term staying power as a storyteller than it does about about the current plot line.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...
« Reply #266 on: 11 Dec 2014, 16:07 »

And how many of your classmates do you even remember the name of? especially in what looks like one of the larger lecture classes? It's really not that unusual.

As an aside I'm going to have to pick up this book series now, I'll read it the only place that makes sense, the laundry room!
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #267 on: 11 Dec 2014, 16:30 »

I think the NRO is like MIB

But without Neuralisers.

You just don't remember the Neuralisers.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2014, 17:43 by Kugai »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #268 on: 11 Dec 2014, 17:05 »

The thing of it is, Emily had made quite an impression on him during the class prior to the party at the lake house. Enough that he remembered and is telling stories about her months later, at least. And he's been around her a fair bit since then, even interacting directly at the library. So why now is it suddenly a thing that he freaks out meeting her? It isn't a case where you met someone and found they happen to attend the same class and you never noticed them. He sure noticed her in class, and he talked with her for sure at the library, and most likely at the lake house party.

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #269 on: 11 Dec 2014, 17:12 »

Yeah, and she also hosted the lake house party, where only fourteen people were present (Emily, Clinton, Claire, Marten, Tai, Gabby, Dora, Faye, Marigold, Hannelore, Angus, Steve, Cosette, and Momo).

Kairi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #270 on: 11 Dec 2014, 17:19 »

Put more baldly, I don't just assume they're right - they simply are
Yup. I need practice shaving my ideas. :) Thank you. That is what I meant.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #271 on: 11 Dec 2014, 17:50 »

Is it possible that Clinton just didn't know Emily-the-classmate's (first) name?  I'm particularly asocial, I know, but in a college class, I rarely knew the names of more than three or four classmates.

Then he fails to recognize her at the party because "huh, she looks kinda like that girl who got EMP'ed, can't be her though because she works at Smif with Claire and that girl was at UMass with me."

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #272 on: 11 Dec 2014, 18:04 »

Yep, probably a reference to the Laundry as a Charlie Stross expy was one of the guests at Marten's dad's wedding.

I'm a bit surprised at the amount of people being surprised at Clinton's reaction.

There's already been discussion that that SMIF might not exactly OTL Smith college already. And also the discussion above.

"The NRO EMP'd her laptop" is a perfectly comprehensible sentence to me... Especially in context. :/

I thought of something else to comment on but I forgot, it's late here. I think I made up some headcanon but I forgot about it by the time I came back to my laptop. Which sucks as it was the main reason to post in the first place at this hour.

« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2014, 18:25 by zmeiat_joro »
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #273 on: 11 Dec 2014, 18:14 »

Is it possible that Clinton just didn't know Emily-the-classmate's (first) name?  I'm particularly asocial, I know, but in a college class, I rarely knew the names of more than three or four classmates.

Then he fails to recognize her at the party because "huh, she looks kinda like that girl who got EMP'ed, can't be her though because she works at Smif with Claire and that girl was at UMass with me."

That, plus he's viewing her in a different light.  When she was just a friend-of-his-sister and someone he only briefly socialized with, sure, she may have been that weird person whose project nearly raised the Old Ones, but he wasn't going to rudely bring that up in conversation--but now that she's a potential love interest, you expect him to date HER?!

That said, it's a minor continuity glitch at worse (and hey, The Simulation can't be completely flawless), so I'm willing to overlook it and move on to Awkward Clinton/Emily Conversations.  So...what other attachments and settings does your robot hand have?
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #274 on: 11 Dec 2014, 18:24 »

But what about their conversation at the library?

Oh well, it's not as much of a continuity nightmare as Hanners first appearance.

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #275 on: 11 Dec 2014, 18:27 »

Oh well, it's not as much of a continuity nightmare as Hanners first appearance.

I take you also have not been trying different kinds of powerful anti-anxiety medication. I don't find either remotely unusual.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #276 on: 11 Dec 2014, 18:31 »

It's clear that Clinton's memory has been... edited. Yes, that's the word for it. ECtech probably has the technology to do that.

But why? What did Clinton see that he wasn't supposed to?

Steve knows - but Steve isn't telling.

:parrot:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #277 on: 11 Dec 2014, 18:38 »

Clinton's reaction is understandable to me even without resorting to a theory that there was a geas but it wasn't very high-level or that it's failing a bit due to proximity (in either direction) to the CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN event, if that's what you're implying.

Markhat

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #278 on: 11 Dec 2014, 19:18 »

I think it's less that he doesn't know/remember her, but more that he didn't make the connection between Emily, who works at the library and almost doomed the world, and Emily, potentially attractive girl that Marten knows.  Hence the "Wait that Emily".  My assumption is that Clint just assumed Marten knows a different Emily, it's not like they hang out all the time and Emily is a fairly common name.  Granted, he should have made the connection after they popped into the library, but where's the fun in that.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #279 on: 11 Dec 2014, 20:00 »

still not seeing anything that warrants dismissing emily as a potential romantic partner.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #280 on: 11 Dec 2014, 20:36 »

Comic!

Either Emily is having the beginnings of an orgasm, or "Clinton" is the code phrase for her shutdown sequence.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

stephber

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #281 on: 11 Dec 2014, 20:40 »

Coming up next week on Questionable Content.... Emily's still saying 'Cllllllllinnnnnnnnntooooooooooooon.' Will it ever end?

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #282 on: 11 Dec 2014, 20:41 »

Made for each other.  If nothing else, they should start a tech company together.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #283 on: 11 Dec 2014, 20:45 »

CLIN-TON

You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #284 on: 11 Dec 2014, 20:45 »

If nothing else, they should start a tech company together.
One which summons the robot revolution and destroys mankind.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #285 on: 11 Dec 2014, 20:52 »

You mean counter-revolution? The QC universe already had one and it turned out pretty well. (Despite Pintsize)
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #286 on: 11 Dec 2014, 21:13 »

My guess is we never hear anything further about the NRO/EMP etc. as all that was intended to do was to make Emily more intimidating to Clinton, and to float the suggestion that beneath the weirdness Emily is very bright. Which is probably just as well; a deep techie storyline isn't a good fit for QC.

Despite all the harsh things that have been said about Clinton, I'd have to say he's showing some real courage talking to Emily. Not only is she capable of writing scary code, she's also half a head taller than him, and sometimes downright inscrutable. I predict that if they get together, Clinton will become a better person while Emily stays just as weird, but still benefits from the relationship.

I'd been wondering what happened to Emily after the Marten cheek kiss episode. Glad to see she's back, and in fine form.

Estron

• Emoticontraindication
  • Old-fart QC aficionado
« Reply #287 on: 11 Dec 2014, 21:22 »

What I'm hearing in my head is, of course, "muskrat muskrat muskrat . . . ."

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #288 on: 11 Dec 2014, 21:37 »

There is real fear in the eyes of Clinnnnnnn-tonnnnnnnn in that last panel.

That was a clin-ton of n's.  :claireface:
oh god

Undrneath

« Reply #289 on: 11 Dec 2014, 21:39 »

I can only imagine that Emily is committing CLINNN-TONNNN's name to memory.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #290 on: 11 Dec 2014, 21:48 »

That, or she's remembering something.  The thing inside her laptop wasn't killed, it just changed hosts and went into deep slumber, but now...now...IT HAS AWOKEN.

ASB84

« Reply #291 on: 11 Dec 2014, 21:50 »

But what about their conversation at the library?

Not to mention, we never did get an answer to that question. Does Clinton's robot hand have a blaster attachment, a la Mega Man?

It's important to note that Clinton never said that it didn't. He merely asked for clarification on what kind of blaster Emily was referring to.

Logical conclusion: The "murder mode" for Clinton's robot hand is truly frightening.

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #292 on: 11 Dec 2014, 21:52 »

Along a similar vein: Doesn't Clinton go to UMass?

Maybe Emily transferred after that incident.

Since Emily is a grad student, she could have done her undergrad at UMass.  Simplest explanation: both were at UMass when they had a class together.  Emily was a year or two ahead of Clinton.  She graduated from UMass last year and now she's at Smif for grad school.

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #293 on: 11 Dec 2014, 21:53 »

She's already moaning his name.  Clinton is so in!

Undrneath

U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #295 on: 11 Dec 2014, 22:02 »

Somebody more skilled than me needs to make some fanart of Emily doing the Exorcist spider walk while chanting Clin-ton's name.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #296 on: 11 Dec 2014, 22:08 »

Geez, it just hit me that if he's 21 in 2014, Clinton would actually have been born during the Clinton administration.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...
« Reply #297 on: 11 Dec 2014, 22:31 »

Geez, it just hit me that if he's 21 in 2014, Clinton would actually have been born during the Clinton administration.

I could make a really bad pun off of that, but I'm not sure if it would break the forum rules.

Do you think Clinton's hand has a setting where he could plug it into a computer or other machine and interface with it?
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

Undrneath

« Reply #298 on: 11 Dec 2014, 22:37 »

I could make a really bad pun off of that, but I'm not sure if it would break the forum rules.

Do you think Clinton's hand has a setting where he could plug it into a computer or other machine and interface with it?

So would that be considered jacking on?
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #299 on: 11 Dec 2014, 22:38 »

Don't you go giving Pintsize any ideas now...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up