THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 00:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question About Selling Art  (Read 9492 times)

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
Question About Selling Art
« on: 28 Oct 2014, 20:49 »

I've been slogging through six or seven years' worth of photography, trying to narrow it down to a handful of shots that people might actually, y'know, buy. Any advice from any of you who've sold your own stuff on getting my own work out there? I don't care if your background's in photography, painting, sculpture, or abstract expressionism done with condiments... I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
Re: Question About Selling Art
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2014, 02:47 »

You could go around to local cafes, bars and restaurants and ask if they're willing to help you out by putting them on their walls for sale? I've never done this myself, but I know a few people who have done this successfully. Make a website with your photos too, you could also try Etsy if that's your thing.

Or, ask local galleries directly. Just pop by or email with a link to your website, people do that all the time.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2014, 08:53 »

I'd thought about Etsy (or Red Bubble, or Smugmug, or similar), and am probably going to do something along those lines. There aren't too many galleries locally... I'm not that far from NYC, but at the same time, I don't know that my work's going to quite fit a New York gallery. It's not amateur hour stuff, but it also isn't as self-consciously serious (or as processed and lit to the nines) as a lot of what I'm used to seeing there.

Thanks for the suggestions!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2014, 08:54 »

Can we see your pictures?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:49 »

Can we see your pictures?

Soon. :) My website's in my profile. My Flickr is at https://www.flickr.com/photos/thefirst10000.

With that said, I'm in the process of sorting through stuff, and will probably be tearing down my Flickr album and redoing it (at least temporarily) so I can get critiques from some people here and elsewhere. What's on there now (and on my website, which is meant more to teach photography) isn't necessarily the kind of stuff I'd be selling (with a few possible exceptions, like some of the church shots at the top of the Flickr page). A lot of what's on both sites is older work.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:55 »

I may well be an idiot but I cannot see a webadress in your profile. However, some of the Flickr pictures I like. Nice colours, crisp lines, good light, interesting subjects.

I'd say; go for it.
My Art.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2014, 13:45 »

While there's a lot of pretentious bullshit in NYC, there are definitely some good galleries too. Maybe they'll see your stuff as a welcome and much needed change! Good luck whatever you choose though!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2014, 13:48 »

I may well be an idiot but I cannot see a webadress in your profile.

It's the globe under the avatar.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2014, 14:30 »

... I am an idiot. Thanks, though.
My Art.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2014, 06:41 »

I really like your work!! You have a great eye for composition and line with the added benefit of injecting some humor and whimsy. If you're going to head to galleries, you might want to create a few albums that could be presented as collections. If you group some images into a common theme, it shows that you are thinking about developing concepts and further exploring what drives you to create. Show range but direction at the same time.

Also.....I might be interested in the horse butt.  :-P I keep coming back to look at it and it just makes me happy. I kinda want to hang it in my studio. Have you considered how you'd price things and where/how you'd print them?
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2014, 18:54 »

I really like your work!! You have a great eye for composition and line with the added benefit of injecting some humor and whimsy. If you're going to head to galleries, you might want to create a few albums that could be presented as collections. If you group some images into a common theme, it shows that you are thinking about developing concepts and further exploring what drives you to create. Show range but direction at the same time.

Also.....I might be interested in the horse butt.  :-P I keep coming back to look at it and it just makes me happy. I kinda want to hang it in my studio. Have you considered how you'd price things and where/how you'd print them?

I've been thinking along the lines of (re)building a portfolio, and the album idea is some great advice. Thank you!

I haven't thought about pricing, though I figured on having a range of stuff (from magnets and note cards to larger prints, depending on the subject), with prices determined by item, medium, size, etc. As for printers, I've heard good things about WHCC and a couple of other labs, plus a couple of the camera shops in my area do good printing.

If you're interested in the horse butt, let me know what size and if you have any print preferences (via private message) and maybe we can work something out.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2014, 06:59 »

I agree with what Metope said about looking for cafes. A lot of places around here display local art and sell it. I would also look at maybe entering contests in your area and maybe even local art shows where you can try to sell prints in person. If you start looking at galleries, look for smaller ones. I can give you some information about sending in a digital portfolio. Places will often send out calls for entries, so definitely try to get on some mailing lists.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2014, 10:09 »

Linds, I'd appreciate that if/when you have time. I've done some research, but it's no substitute for learning from experience.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2014, 14:54 »

I have to find the book it was in and the sample I made, but as soon as I do, I will pass them along. If I don't, I'll just post what I remember. This information is from university, so it's probably about 6 years old, but I highly doubt much will have changed. And my professor copied my presentation to use as an example, so it won't be a terrible resource. (Well, the art might be!) :)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2014, 15:52 »

I have to find the book it was in and the sample I made, but as soon as I do, I will pass them along. If I don't, I'll just post what I remember. This information is from university, so it's probably about 6 years old, but I highly doubt much will have changed. And my professor copied my presentation to use as an example, so it won't be a terrible resource. (Well, the art might be!) :)

I'm a pretty quick study, so if there's anything that's changed in the time since, I'm sure I can pick that up. I just need a good starting point. And I'm sure the art won't be terrible -- certainly not as bad as mine from the same time, since I'd only been shooting a year at that point, and have no real training.

Much appreciated, either way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up