THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 01:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 80   Go Down

Author Topic: Damn you, Willis! (Dumbing of Age)  (Read 510587 times)

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
Re: Damn you, Willis! (Dumbing of Age)
« Reply #1450 on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:13 »

I'm more surprised by all the people just milling around the fountain when a guy with a gun is screaming at two girls. Or at least talking angrily. It took the gunshot to make them react instead of people starting to back the heck away once they saw the gun.

I'm not. I'm in a theatre for social change class where we recently did invisible theatre projects (think of "What Would You Do," except you don't actually tell other people it's a performance, unless you have to prevent the police being called or something). People are really, really unobservant, especially when they're walking to class.
I hope you don't film those. Filming people without their permission is kinda shitty.

No. I was only using the show as an example because it's the only one people recognize. I'd encourage you to do some reading on actual invisible theatre. It's not about tricking or embarrassing people.

The point though, is that college students were extremely unresponsive to situations involving theft, depression, and even domestic abuse. Granted, this situation is a lot more extreme. But I'm just saying it's not unthinkable for people to not be very good at noticing things, especially since the people who did notice the gun in the last panel may have run away.

What I'm surprised at is, assuming people have been calling the police, the alarms and cell phone alerts haven't started going off already. Even if the police take a few minutes to catch up as Ross moves around campus, in the post-Virgina Tech era colleges, especially very large ones like IU, have alert systems that can be activated instantly as soon as a call like that comes in.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2015, 10:21 by 94ssd »

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #1451 on: 17 Oct 2015, 11:57 »

Humans are notoriously bad at noticing things they are not expecting to see. We literally can't see things directly in front of us if our attention is on something else, even in line of sight.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1452 on: 17 Oct 2015, 13:50 »

Shit.  Bad idea I think

I think the Cops should turn up next.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #1453 on: 17 Oct 2015, 18:30 »

Pretty sure Amazi-Girl is gonna show up soon.  Joyce told Becky she was going to get some help, and she's had A-Girl's number since the Whiteboard Ding-Dong Bandit incident, and probably thinks a masked vigilante will be helpful in this situation.  Of course, that was before Ross showed up with a gun...
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #1454 on: 17 Oct 2015, 19:38 »

Not sure what it's worth, but there's a reason you never point your gun to the sky in a populated area.

Gravity.

Even if we get Ross to cooperate and leave quietly, there's potential damage imminent.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1455 on: 17 Oct 2015, 20:14 »

Yeah, I wonder where that bullet's gonna land.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1456 on: 17 Oct 2015, 21:44 »

Fuck.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1457 on: 17 Oct 2015, 22:31 »

Becky sacrificed herself for Joyce.  Otherwise, if someone is trying to force you into a car at gunpoint, even in a public place, you fight them tooth and nail, 'cos at least that way, you'll die more quickly.  She knows that whatever happens to her, it will not be good.  But at least Joyce will be safe.  I don't know if I could have done that for anyone.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1458 on: 17 Oct 2015, 22:46 »

Damn!!!!!!
James The Kugai 

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1459 on: 18 Oct 2015, 01:01 »

I'm pretty sure that Becky is doing this so she can get him out of the crisis zone and talk him down without him freaking out about his imminent "heroic last stand" and it impairing his already-weak reasoning skills. I just wonder how often Becky and her mother have had to do this in the past and whether others (like Joyce's parents) knew about it?

Isn't it odd that I'm the optimist today? :wink:
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1460 on: 18 Oct 2015, 05:40 »

Speaking of that bullet: I'm pretty sure that's a shotgun, which should mean that there's no bullet but rather pellets which slow down enough so there's no damage when they fall back down (which is why shotguns are used for hunting, a sport which involves a lot of shooting in the air!).
This post was sent from Tapatalk inside my phone!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1461 on: 18 Oct 2015, 06:14 »

Well, that, and hitting any bird that isn't flightless with a rifle would be quite a challenge.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1462 on: 18 Oct 2015, 08:42 »

if someone is trying to force you into a car at gunpoint, even in a public place, you fight them tooth and nail, 'cos at least that way, you'll die more quickly.

Ergh. This is dangerously ambiguous advice. A brief search for "what to do if you are taken hostage" points to this guide:
http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-an-Abduction-or-Hostage-Situation
which basically says to behave depending on the situation. (Incidentally, the advice given there matches advice handed out by official institutions).
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1463 on: 18 Oct 2015, 09:07 »

The biggest difference between this situation and say, a random kidnapping is that it's unlikely that Ross is taking Becky away to be physically harmed. If you think someone is grabbing you to take you some place where they can do much worse or that you may never be seen again then yes, fight for everything you can. Because if you let your attacker control your environment it will become much more difficult to escape. Becky going along with her dad is best of bad choices here. Letting him stay and get more wound up was going to end up with someone getting shot. Either Ross will fire the next shot at someone, or the police will show up. And it's pretty likely that Ross is so far gone at this point that nobody was going to be talking him down. Becky going with him for now will let him calm down off his adrenaline high and maybe think a little more calmly and rationally. Also she (and we) still don't know what happened to Dina. It seems unlikely that she wouldn't have set off for the fountain as soon as Ross left, if she were able.

The situation now is bad, and will get worse if Ross can get Becky home and isolate her. I wouldn't put it past him to lock her up until she 'saw the light and returned to Jesus'. But at least right now the immediate danger of someone being shot has been stopped.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1464 on: 18 Oct 2015, 09:23 »

A horrifying thought... we still don't know where Dina is, and as Neko_Ali said,  if Dina were able, she'd go to the fountain.  I had been wondering what Ross was going to say to Dina after "I should..." His plan may be to force her to go to gay camp along with Becky to cure them both.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1465 on: 18 Oct 2015, 09:31 »

He did say that he hadn't hurt anyone. I think he's a terrible person, but I didn't think he was lying about that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1466 on: 18 Oct 2015, 09:32 »

Becky should still have Dina's phone and Ross doesn't know but unless he takes his concentration off Becky, she won't have much chance to use it. I'd also guess if Ross found it, he'd break or chuck it. As mentioned earlier, if Dina's phone has its location on, Dina can probably track it using Find My Phone functions so it won't be up to Becky alone, even if it feels like that.

Although at this point, Becky might feel leaving could be too dangerous for herself and other people even if she gets the chance.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1467 on: 18 Oct 2015, 09:36 »

I'd say staying is considerably more dangerous.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #1468 on: 18 Oct 2015, 09:38 »

He did say that he hadn't hurt anyone. I think he's a terrible person, but I didn't think he was lying about that.
He wouldn't necessarily be lying. He's large enough he could simply pick her up and stuff her in the trunk of the car...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1469 on: 18 Oct 2015, 09:58 »

I'd say staying is considerably more dangerous.

True but it's a common feeling in an abusive relationship, whether it's romantic or parental or otherwise, that it becomes the Abused's responsibility to cover and protect others. (Obviously not saying this should be the case, I'm saying that being in abusive situation fucks you up, to grossly oversimplify it.) Becky's seen how far her father is willing to go and she might not want to risk putting her friends in danger again, even if it means the chance getting herself out of it.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #1470 on: 18 Oct 2015, 11:29 »

SPOILER about Dina from Willis's tumblr.  Try not to click it, I dare you.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #1471 on: 18 Oct 2015, 11:30 »

SPOILER about Dina from Willis's tumblr.  Try not to click it, I dare you.
(click to show/hide)

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #1472 on: 18 Oct 2015, 11:40 »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2015, 18:22 by Gladstone »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1473 on: 18 Oct 2015, 11:51 »

Staying strong...not easy.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #1474 on: 18 Oct 2015, 18:20 »

Staying strong...not easy.

Ugh, I just increased my monthly donations on Willis's Patreon account, which means I get to see tomorrow's comic a day early, but he just posted the next comic after tomorrow's, so now I got nothing to read for the next two days.  Beginning to understand your spoiler-aversion.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #1475 on: 18 Oct 2015, 18:26 »

That's one reason (aside from me just being cheap  :roll: ) that I never bothered with Patreon. Yeah, you get to see tomorrow's comic early, but that effectively just means you get two comics in one day, and then if you cancel your Patreon account you have to wait an extra day for the next comic. I don't really consider it worth it.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #1476 on: 18 Oct 2015, 18:33 »

I originally just chipped in a few bucks to see the two monthly bonus strips, and donated a few dollars to Jeph when he offered bonus comics as well, but I'm starting to like DoA more than QC (and Jeph's only posting bonus strips if his Patreon goes over ten grand a month, which it hasn't lately, so what's the point?), so I stopped supporting Jeph and upped my donations to Willis instead.  Maybe I'll lower the amount by a dollar just to avoid early comics...

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1477 on: 18 Oct 2015, 18:59 »

How much do you need for Willis's to see a day early? If it's a dollar a month I'd consider it, otherwise...eh.

Or maybe I could just befriend someone who gets the strip a day early and have them send it to me. But even then, yeah, once I see the first "future" one, I'm still waiting a day for the next strip like usual.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #1478 on: 18 Oct 2015, 19:09 »

https://www.patreon.com/dumbingofage?ty=h

$5 a month. $1 gets you the twice monthly Patreon-only bonus strips.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1479 on: 18 Oct 2015, 19:12 »

See, those actually seem more valuable, the extra four just gets you stuff a day early, the first dollar gets you stuff you'd never get.

If you sign up for the dollar level, is there a way to see the bonus strips from the past?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #1480 on: 18 Oct 2015, 19:25 »

Yeah,  all the bonus strips are archived. 

I wasn't really thinking early comic = bonus when I decided to donate more.  $5 seemed like a decent amount, is all.  I'm just annoyed that I looked ahead two days.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1481 on: 18 Oct 2015, 19:52 »

Just became a $1 patron. I figure I'll look at all the bonus strips when I finish It's Walky/Joyce and Walky.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #1482 on: 18 Oct 2015, 20:42 »

My "trick" is that I'll just sometimes forget about reading the comic, and then I'll just read up on the main page. That way I can have an additional day in the most crucial moments!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #1483 on: 18 Oct 2015, 20:57 »

It certainly doesn't help when it's an arc like this.  The last thing I want to see here is Becky being sent to one of those anti-gay concentration camps.  Hopefully, if he *did*, he'd have to cross state lines and have the Feds ensure that he'd never again draw a free breath.

and Jeph's only posting bonus strips if his Patreon goes over ten grand a month, which it hasn't lately, so what's the point?), so I stopped supporting Jeph and upped my donations to Willis instead.

At this point, I'm not even thinking of the "perks" that Jeph has offered.  I haven't seen that monthly music column, for one.  The main reason I'm still tossing him some dosh is that I adamantly refuse to disable my adblocker.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1484 on: 19 Oct 2015, 00:48 »

I think that we're about to find out just what strength is in Joyce Brown. I also think that we're going to find out if the formidable warrior that existed in the Walkyverse lives on in some small way in her.

"Sal, I need you to give me a ride on your bike. Before you say 'no' again, this time the alternative is me rendering you unconscious and stealing it."

P.S.
Having long been a fan of the character of Susan Ivanova in Babylon 5, I think that, with suitable modifications this quote would be ideal for Joyce to use when she catches up with Ross and, on Sal's bike, drives him off of the road.

"Who am I? I am Joyce Brown, Christian, daughter of Hank and Carol Brown. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to La Porte, Mr McIntyre! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you will ever see. God sent me."

Or maybe... Y'know, I know that some people don't like my speculative writing jaunts but this one really fits and I wonder if, no matter how much they'd deny it, some fans (especially those who came to DoA via the Walkyverse) would like to see it.

SCENE: JOYCE is standing with AMAZI-GIRL on the dorm building roof.

JOYCE: "I just... I just can't stop worrying about Becky!"

AMAZI-GIRL: "Your sister in all-but-blood has been taken. You cannot do anything to alter this for now. Set it aside."

JOYCE: "But how? How am I supposed to concentrate on anything when all I feel is this... hate?"

AMAZI-GIRL: "You hide it away from the world." ((AMAZI-GIRL holds out a dull sunset orange mask to JOYCE)) "With this."

Yeah, ripped off from The Mask of Zorro. Brilliant film and the scene fits into Joyce's situation right now so well. I really doubt that Willis intends to go that way with this. Despite every weird thing in it, Dumbing of Age is actually quite real-world in most ways. That doesn't stop the Mystery Man fanboy in me geeking out at the thought of Amazi-Girl starting a sort of Legion of the Wronged from her classmates.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2015, 07:56 by BenRG »
~~~~

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #1485 on: 19 Oct 2015, 09:55 »

BenRG, see, that's not an evil speculative writing jaunt. That is a fun potential future. I can appreciate that.

I don't think it's likely, but when I started reading it, especially with the disclaimer, I felt certain it would end horrifically. I was pleasantly surprised. I am okay with the unlikely potential of her taking on the part of Amazigirl 2.0/Amazigirl's sidekick.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1486 on: 19 Oct 2015, 11:22 »

"Give in to your feelings my young apprentice and your journey to the dark side will be complete."
James The Kugai 

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #1487 on: 19 Oct 2015, 21:05 »

Called it, kinda.  Just forgot that Joyce only had "Roll, Perfect Cinnamon"'s number, not Amazi-Girl's

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1488 on: 19 Oct 2015, 21:07 »

Who is Perfect Cinnamon Roll again?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1489 on: 19 Oct 2015, 21:09 »

Dorothy. And somebody is gonna get a whupping. Or shot. possibly both. On the other hand, Ross probably doesn't have the gun close at hand while driving, so there's that.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1490 on: 19 Oct 2015, 21:30 »

Oh...why is she called Perfect Cinnamon Roll?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #1491 on: 19 Oct 2015, 22:00 »

Oh. Oh no. Amazigirl, I hope to god you have a plan. He has a gun, yeah, but equally or possibly more important, he is in a car. The gun isn't even necessary to kill you.

I am nervous for her. I expect she should triumph, but I struggle to imagine it will be easy.

In other news, it amuses me that Joyce's best friend has so quickly become Dina's property. She is now Dina's Becky
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1492 on: 19 Oct 2015, 22:31 »

To Amber she is, yeah. Dina is Amber's room mate and friend, so it make sense that she thinks of Becky in those terms.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #1493 on: 19 Oct 2015, 22:33 »

It's an Onion article that later turned into a Tumblr meme to describe favorite characters.  Or something.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #1494 on: 20 Oct 2015, 00:00 »

Well, I didn't actually think that Willis would take this route? Is this the moment when Amazi-Girl finally meets her match with a real-world villain out of her normal league... Or is this the moment when Amber finally realises just what that mask and that costume can do to help others?

One way or another... This is the day of her Destiny.

~~~~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1495 on: 20 Oct 2015, 04:44 »

It's an Onion article that later turned into a Tumblr meme to describe favorite characters.  Or something.
Yeah, but how would Joyce know about Tumblr? Does Joyce tumble?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #1496 on: 20 Oct 2015, 04:58 »

So, one thing that the comments over on DoA have come up with...

(click to show/hide)

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #1497 on: 20 Oct 2015, 05:33 »

Yes, but they also came up with this:
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #1498 on: 20 Oct 2015, 07:02 »

So, one thing that the comments over on DoA have come up with...

(click to show/hide)

This is what I was thinking will probably happen, but I didn't say it for fear I'm prescient. On the other hand, it's still a future unknown, so it's a bit soon to be screeching 'DAMN YOU, WILLIS' over a thing that might not happen at all, and probably won't play out in the most obvious manner
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1499 on: 20 Oct 2015, 15:02 »

Either way, this week is gonna end with a bang I think
James The Kugai