THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What next on this wild and crazy ride we call QC?

Faypocalypse Sven
- 9 (6.9%)
Claireten Snuggles
- 12 (9.2%)
Clintonhand Naughtyness
- 3 (2.3%)
Dora fires Faye - Drama and drunkenness ensues
- 50 (38.2%)
Clairemom and Martenmom accidentally meet
- 4 (3.1%)
Emily gets weirder (is that even possible?)
- 4 (3.1%)
Sven rescues Faye - Dora gets wrong end of stick
- 12 (9.2%)
The surprise return on Angus - Blood and mayhem ensue
- 5 (3.8%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 7 (5.3%)
Whatever it is, it'll be completely unexpected
- 22 (16.8%)
ALIENS!
- 3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2878-2882 (19-23 January 2015)  (Read 127373 times)

Rubick

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT: 2878-2882 (19-23 January 2015)
« Reply #100 on: 19 Jan 2015, 15:39 »

So no Friend Dora present at all, just Boss Dora. Interesting. Maybe she figured there was nothing to say that hadn't already been said.

Is anyone else a little confused at Faye's apparent lack of reaction? I was expecting at least a little guilt or something in panel 2 but there's nothing, it's just like "yeah...and?". Likewise in panel 4, shock or dismay? Maybe the booze is blunting her emotional response and she'll hit a wall back home (metaphorically, and quite possibly literally).

...except for the fact we know she's already under stress over Sven.

Has she, or anyone, even mentioned Sven in the last 100 comics? #2784 was the last mention of that drama I could find.

The reactions somewhat feel a bit 'deer caught in headlights'.

The Sven thing it would make sense for nobody to have mentioned given Dora basically told nobody and to those she did, made it very clear what her stance was.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #101 on: 19 Jan 2015, 15:44 »

I don't think we've seen how pissed Dora could get over this. Faye crossed one of her stated employment rules, and then tried to lie about it to her face - shortly after Dora entrusted her with extra responsibility at the shop. I think we may see Dora reach entirely new levels of "pissed" over this, and I also think both Faye's job AND their friendship is now in grave danger.

I also do not think we will see Faye be healed quickly either - she's entirely too stubborn to give up her "coping mechanism" so easily. I suspect we are seeing the beginning of Faye's long ugly slide down into the gutter, either metaphorically or literally.

My previous post above was made before I saw the latest comic (obviously), but I still think most of it applies - especially the part about this being the beginning of Faye's slide into the gutter. The next push will come from Marten realizing he can't have a perpetual drunk for a roommate, especially one who is no longer providing her half of the rent.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #102 on: 19 Jan 2015, 15:44 »

Is anyone else a little confused at Faye's apparent lack of reaction?
No. Even drunk, she knows damn well she hasn't a leg to stand on.

And "Dora the Friend" might take a more sympathetic  line with Faye, but only after she's finished work and she isn't busy being Dora the boss.
I didn't think she'd do this, but I can understand why she did. Anything less would signal to Faye that it didn't really matter, with the result that nothing would change, and things have clearly reached the point where they do have to change.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #103 on: 19 Jan 2015, 15:51 »

Oh.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #104 on: 19 Jan 2015, 15:53 »

Faye broke up with Angus because she was afraid of change. Now she has to deal with a serious change, and not the good kind. Funny how that works sometimes.  :-(
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #105 on: 19 Jan 2015, 15:54 »

New Comic, Marten happy, wonder if we are heading towards an end?

ASB84

« Reply #106 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:03 »

To be honest, I'm kind of glad to see Faye get fired, and hope that it sticks...at least for a little while. I think this is a storyline that needs serious consequences, and shouldn't be resolved quickly and within a week of strips. If there has been a weakness in the writing of QC over the years, it's that a storyline will lead up to a drama bomb, and then everything is over and done with and resolved very quickly, with minimal fallout or residual tension in a situation where there really should be some fences to mend and lasting consequences to deal with.

If Dora changes her mind and tells Faye to come in tomorrow after all - as she did after the Hugging Incident - then it greatly undermines what has been a serious and realistic storyline about Faye falling upon hard times. In the aforementioned incident, Dora overreacted due to her own insecurities, and made a bad call in blurring the lines between friendship and employment; changing her mind was a case of cooler heads prevailing, when she realised her mistake. In this case, she's rightfully upset that her rules and her trust have been breached. It would be bad writing to quickly go back on that, just for the sake of maintaining the status quo.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #107 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:04 »

I don't think we've seen how pissed Dora could get over this.

Methinks that Faye is the one who is pissed, or pished for that matter.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #108 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:07 »

Oh, FUCK YOU, Dora. What a stupid fucking thing to do.

Not firing Faye, extreme, but justified. I mean firing Faye NOW. It'd be one thing if she told Faye to go home and they'd talk in the morning, but firing her when she's drunk and hurting? Faye will no longer feel like she has anything to hold back for, so what happens next will probably be much worse than maintaining a buzz.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nyithra

« Reply #109 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:11 »

This would be one thing if Dora and Faye only had a professional relationship, but Dora knows that Faye has been going through a rough time. Suspension without pay, dragging her to a therapist, or telling her to go to AA would have been much more sensitive solutions. I do understand why Dora had this kneejerk reaction, but she's still Faye's friend and should treat her with a little compassion instead of just telling her to get the fuck out.
Follow your heart, but when your heart starts to shit all over your life, follow your brain.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #110 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:21 »

Keep in mind that Dora has a long history of flying off the handle and making snap, rash decisions. Like firing Faye (very briefly) for hugging Marten. Usually once she calms down a bit she thinks a bit more clearly. But obviously being drunk at work is a big thing for her. In the space of a day's time she's caught Faye trying to bring booze at work, showing up drunk, lying about it and then drinking on the job behind her back. Telling Faye 'Get out, you're fired' is totally in character for Dora.

Now after talking about it with the rest of the crew at the shop, probably Marten and Tai she may calm down some and offer Faye her job back.. on the condition that she gets some real help and stops drinking. The question is how hard will Faye fall in the mean time.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #111 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:24 »

Telling Faye 'Get out, you're fired' is totally in character for Dora.
Oh, absolutely in character. My criticism wasn't at Jeph. Something can be in character and still absolutely fucking terrible.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #112 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:31 »

Not firing Faye, extreme, but justified. I mean firing Faye NOW. It'd be one thing if she told Faye to go home and they'd talk in the morning, but firing her when she's drunk and hurting? Faye will no longer feel like she has anything to hold back for, so what happens next will probably be much worse than maintaining a buzz.
She already gave Faye a warning and sent her home the day before. Dora has already stated on at least one occasion that she didn't want Faye drinking on the job and said to Hanners and Cosette that she's relatively okay as a boss as long as they don't come in drunk or high. Well Faye has already gotten a warning and she's broken one of the rules that would have been in her contract. It's not a stupid thing to fire someone when they blatantly ignore the rules you have in place in the workplace.

And how can Dora know exactly how much Faye is hurting? She isn't omnipotent, Dora can't peer into Faye's mind and go "Oh, well she's hurting over Angus". She's already been a friend to Faye, but right now Faye has crossed two lines, drinking on the job and lying to Dora's face. Everyone has that point where they'll stop supporting a friend because they crossed a line and guess what? Dora and Faye have reached that point.

Hopefully this kind of shock will jar Faye into sorting her life out, but given her own character, probably won't happen.

Alphawolf55

• Plantmonster
« Reply #113 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:44 »

Honestly Faye deserves to be fired. She's already a pretty lousy employee, Dora doesn't need a drunk lousy employee either and quite frankly believing their friendship should give Faye excuses is abuse on Faye's part.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #114 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:44 »

Finally, Faye gets some of the comeuppance she deserves.  I actually laughed out loud with today's comic.  Thanks, Jeph!  :-D

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #115 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:45 »

That's kind of disgusting.

*I say that as a person, not as a mod. You're well within your rights to say that and think that, but...eww.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Platypodes

• Pancakes!
« Reply #116 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:47 »

Yes, Dora is being insensitive as all hell right now as a friend, doing this so harshly and abruptly when a moment's consideration would tell her that Faye must be hurting in a really big way over Angus.

But friendship goes both ways: BECAUSE Faye is her friend, Dora must be feeling all the more hurt and betrayed by Faye's behavior.  Her friend is sneaking, lying, and showing zero respect or concern for Dora's business, which Faye has every reason to know is extremely important to Dora.  Especially after trusting Faye enough to give her the assistant manager position, Dora must be feeling seriously betrayed.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #117 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:47 »

To be honest, I'm kind of glad to see Faye get fired, and hope that it sticks...at least for a little while. I think this is a storyline that needs serious consequences, and shouldn't be resolved quickly and within a week of strips. If there has been a weakness in the writing of QC over the years, it's that a storyline will lead up to a drama bomb, and then everything is over and done with and resolved very quickly, with minimal fallout or residual tension in a situation where there really should be some fences to mend and lasting consequences to deal with.

So you're hoping for "Dora and Marten not speaking for 200 strips" level of drama.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #118 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:49 »

I just hate Faye's guts for how she treated Marten.  Anything bad happens to her, I cheer.  Simple.  :evil:

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #119 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:50 »

What would've been the best firm-but-fair/I-love-you-but-enough-is-enough response? "Go home and don't come back without a signed letter from Dr Corrine"?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #120 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:54 »

Like I said before, telling her to go home, giving both an opportunity to cool off. Firing her in the morning would've still been much better.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Alphawolf55

• Plantmonster
« Reply #121 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:56 »

The problem is the fair but firm response is firing Faye. If Faye wants to skip work to stay home and get drunk thats one thing but her choosing to come in drunk and planning to drink on the job when quite frankly she's already a poor worker sober shows a lack of respect on Faye part. No one would bat an eyelash if Dora did this to unnamed employee #3. Faye being her best friend is no excuse either.

Waiting for the morning might make Dora go soft and change her mind, sometimes you have to do things in the moment to make them stick.

ASB84

« Reply #122 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:59 »

So you're hoping for "Dora and Marten not speaking for 200 strips" level of drama.

It doesn't necessarily have to be that, but something other than a week of strips then forgiveness, just to maintain status quo. It's a pretty big deal, a pretty big breach of rules and trust. Barring a time-skip, I think it does need to play out over a longer amount of time, in-universe and in terms of the number of strips. I don't want to put an exact number on it, but if this is all water under the bridge by next week, I think it'll make things a bit anti-climactic, and potentially stifle any further character development for Faye.

The problem is the fair but firm response is firing Faye. If Faye wants to skip work to stay home and get drunk thats one thing but her choosing to come in drunk and planning to drink on the job when quite frankly she's already a poor worker sober shows a lack of respect on Faye part. No one would bat an eyelash if Dora did this to unnamed employee #3. Faye being her best friend is no excuse either.

Agreed. Faye has also been given plenty of rope throughout the years, and has recently been entrusted with more responsibility as the assistant manager. Best friend or not, I can't fault Dora for taking a zero tolerance approach, especially when she's been pretty clear about her stance on the matter.

Alphawolf55

• Plantmonster
« Reply #123 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:02 »

I forgot she's assistant manager that makes it even worse on Faye's part.

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #124 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:05 »

Faye isn't just her employee or her friend.  Faye is her assistant manager, the person she's supposed to be able to be trust beyond a shadow of a doubt, and she just slapped Dora's trust in the face. 

My prediction: Faye cleans up in a few days (comic time), asks for her job back, and of course gets her original job back but finds out Penny is the new asst. manager.  Hilarity ensues.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #125 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:08 »

Like I said before, telling her to go home, giving both an opportunity to cool off. Firing her in the morning would've still been much better.
Would that have stopped Faye from coming in drunk the next morning? Or the morning after that? Where's the cut off point there?
Faye got a warning and sent home the day before. And she still came in drunk and was caught drinking on the job. Dora did what any responsible employer would have done in that situation.
Is it fair? Not at all but Faye still broke several rules and is probably in breach of her contract.
It isn't always a case of having a right time to fire people. My first job was in a supermarket and we'd have someone fired every couple of weeks. One girl got fired midshift because she was spritzing the back of several co-workers' shirts with a bottle that had a bit of bleach mixed with water. A guy got fired Christmas Eve because he was jumping across this hole we had in the storage area (for getting stock from the ground floor to the first floor and vice versa) and have you ever been in a supermarket on Christmas Eve, let alone worked in one?
Each employer has a point and if you cross it, you're gone. Faye crossed that line when she brought in a bottle of alcohol to work and went to take a swig from it.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #126 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:09 »

No, not Penny; Dora digs up Sara's number!

Dora has to be feeling betrayed here, and it seems to be that being "compassionate" would just be enabling.

Rubick

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #127 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:10 »

As someone else pointed out, you have to consider that this is also quite a hurtful betrayal from Dora's POV too. She explicitly told Faye no drinking at work the prior day (which shouldn't need to be said anyway). For someone to ignore that, then go at lengths to deceive (all while being at a business you run and an accident is a big fuckin' deal) must be infuriating.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #128 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:14 »

Faye isn't just her employee or her friend.  Faye is her assistant manager, the person she's supposed to be able to be trust beyond a shadow of a doubt, and she just slapped Dora's trust in the face. 

My prediction: Faye cleans up in a few days (comic time), asks for her job back, and of course gets her original job back but finds out Penny is the new asst. manager.  Hilarity ensues.
Now I sort of want to see Penny's reaction when she finds out Faye's been fired. There will be celebrations...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #129 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:16 »

But friendship goes both ways: BECAUSE Faye is her friend, Dora must be feeling all the more hurt and betrayed by Faye's behavior.  Her friend is sneaking, lying, and showing zero respect or concern for Dora's business, which Faye has every reason to know is extremely important to Dora.  Especially after trusting Faye enough to give her the assistant manager position, Dora must be feeling seriously betrayed.

Yep, Dora did what she had to do. Faye is her friend, and she is obviously hurting over her breakup; but Dora has a business to run, and her new assistant manager is now acting in a way that threatens to hurt that business by setting a lousy example for other employees, among other things. Dora cannot let that go on, she has to nip it in the bud as soon as possible. The business, Dora's only source of income, has to come first in this case.

It's not pleasant to do or see, but it is part of the possible consequences of mixing friendship and business. Which doesn't necessarily mean that Dora has stopped being Faye's friend, she just can't allow her friend to continue to work at Dora's business while that friend has a growing drinking problem. Not that Faye's going to accept any overtures of friendship from Dora now of course - an alcoholic tends to despise anyone who even threatens to interfere with their drinking.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

TheEvilDog

« Reply #130 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:17 »

Now I sort of want to see Penny's reaction when she finds out Faye's been fired. There will be celebrations...
Or a sad, mournful aside to herself "Not like this. Not like this." Worthy opponent and all that.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #131 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:24 »

Oh god, she can't say that! Then she'll be unplugged! :o

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Smallest

• Curry sauce
« Reply #132 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:33 »

I like it, although it's a bit sad it's realistic to me, including that it's maybe not the best choice on Dora's part to implement it that way (it might be the best way too, but the fact that it's unclear, again, is realistic- Dora is thinking on the spot). I also like the magic colour changing bottle in the background.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #133 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:36 »

I also like the magic colour changing bottle in the background.
It's mood soap, the latest in novelty hygiene! Yellow for disappointed, blue for sad.
(Note, this soap was taken off the hand wash market almost immediately when it was discovered some of the ingredients were in fact deadly when used. Great for clearing a path through the spiders in the cellar though)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #134 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:38 »

I can't blame Dora for this one.  I've told other minions to go home because they had shown up drunk, and the last time I got an excuse for showing completely pissed was after having to pull a 16 hour shift, so half of my $200 USD in tips went on my bar tab.  Faye has had a drinking problem for years, even in comic time, and she has clearly crossed the line.  Her firing might only be temporary, but it's at least there for a warning.

I hope that Marten is now setting-up folding chairs in their flat for an intervention.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #135 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:50 »

Not just Penny, either.  Coffee of Doom's sales go through the roof as word spreads around town that "The mean one is gone!"  Faye sobers up out of spite, enacts convoluted scheme to get hired back, hijinks ensue.

Well, shit.

I'm not sure I want to watch this play out one-strip-a-day in real time.  Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a few weeks off and come back when there's a small backlog...
[...]
We are wathcing a drama unfolding in extremely slow motion from our point of view. This is not necessarily bad, as it gives time for us to think and discuss possible outcomes. But I agree, it is frustrating at times. However, it would be even more frustrating taking a few weeks off, knowing that something important might have happened in QC.

I responded to this earlier, right before the comic went up, and then my curiosity got the best of me.  Self-imposed QC blackout lasted <5 minutes.  Still not sure I want to watch all this happen one day at a time, but not sure I can actually stay away for 1-4 weeks to get appropriate distance.  It's been a while since I reread the entire comic, so I could always distract myself with that, but I doubt that'll take me more than a few days...
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Blackbird

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #136 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:55 »

Not just Penny, either.  Coffee of Doom's sales go through the roof as word spreads around town that "The mean one is gone!"  Faye sobers up out of spite, enacts convoluted scheme to get hired back, hijinks ensue.

Or CoD's sales plummet as word spreads around town that "the mean one is gone".  Faye sobers up out of a sense of duty to the community, enacts convoluted scheme to get hired back, hijinks ensue. 

I think both are equally likely.

sluthy

« Reply #137 on: 19 Jan 2015, 17:57 »

Coffee of Doom's sales go through the roof as word spreads around town that "The mean one is gone!"

But isn't that the whole appeal of Coffee Of Doom? Spite with a side order of coffee? I remember people were lining up to get abused by Faye et al after that gossip mag write-up. Business might actually suffer for her absence.

Her firing might only be temporary, but it's at least there for a warning.

Is it? Given her attitude to Sven ("that's it, too far, he's out of my life forever") Dora might hold a grudge and not take Faye on as an employee again even after she sobers up. Although that's unlikely since they are (hopefully) still friends and she's paying half her other friend/ex-boyfriend's rent.

I hope that Marten is now setting-up folding chairs in their flat for an intervention.

Given that his only inclination of a problem existing was "isn't it a little early to be drinking?" the day before, and the fact that he's now got a date tonight, I'd suggest he won't be home until very late/the next morning and Faye will be a wreck. That is unless Dora gives him/Tai a heads-up text or call right now.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #138 on: 19 Jan 2015, 18:01 »

...Did someone just hear a huge shoe drop in Central Massachusetts?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Jazzmaster

« Reply #139 on: 19 Jan 2015, 18:07 »

I honestly see this as a great opportunity for Faye to wake up and get her shit together.  Since the start of the comic she's been knocking people around and doing/saying whatever she damn well pleases, because people continued to put up with her shit without ever really calling her out on it.  She physically abused people, mouthed off to everybody including her own boss.  Hell, she got a boyfriend who somehow loved her jaded attitude, and was even encouraged to treat customers badly at work.  People either put up with every single one of her personality quirks, or they put a positive spin on it.

Now, FINALLY, she crossed the line and is going to have to deal with the consequences.  Yeah, she has problems, but so do the rest of us.  Tough shit, you still get held to the same standard as the rest of us even if you have "baggage", as most of us do.

I wonder what's going to happen now, with Marten and Claire potentially becoming more serious and Faye being unable to make her half of the rent.  Time will tell....

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #140 on: 19 Jan 2015, 18:39 »

Personally I think Dora-friend and Dora-boss are in complete alignment. I've had alcoholics in the family, and you're not doing them any favors by going easy. Faye has a very serious problem, and nothing short of this is going to get through the illness' defenses. Faye needs to see that she'll lose everything if she continues drinking. From Dora-boss' perspective, this is not tolerable in the workplace. From Dora-friend's perspective, enabling Faye helps neither Faye nor anyone else. Last of all, when dealing with an alcoholic, both friends and family have to protect themselves from the actions the alcoholic will take to keep drinking (and make no mistake, the alcoholic doesn't have to be as stubborn as Faye to make the lives of everyone in her circle miserable).

Dora might want to give a head's up to Marten, for his sake rather than Faye's, and because Faye may well try to enlist Marten as ally to prevent her (Faye) from having to face the consequences of her actions. The most helpful thing everyone can do is form a united front, to help Faye see she must seek help.

Faye will need a stint in detox, followed by AA and a sponsor to help her stay sober. More than that, however, she'll need to choose herself to want to get clean. Even with all that, the odds are not good that she'll stay on the wagon. For Faye, this is now a lifelong commitment. You never leave recovery.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #141 on: 19 Jan 2015, 18:42 »

"Go home" is very different from "Get out".  I suspect Dora will make a call or two to others.

There's no such thing as a temporary firing, and from the perspective of either of them, no guarantee that the other would be willing to have rehiring happen.

mikmaxs

« Reply #142 on: 19 Jan 2015, 18:42 »

Okay, I'm not siding with the alcoholic here, but man. Dora is being a terrible person here. Faye very, very clearly has abandonment issues, (Her dad killed himself in front of her, for starters,) and Dora has not only done very little to help, but ignored Faye's obviously terrible attempts to cope until it got to the point of firing. Obviously I can't say what's going to happen next, this could be a ploy, but Dora should know better.

If your friend says they want to be drunk all the time because they can't handle what they're going through, you go out of your way to help this friend. You do NOT ignore their problem and then get mad at them only when it begins to directly affect yourself. They need to be hard on Faye, definitely, and Faye needs to get help, but until now Dora (who is the only one who's had a chance to see the extent of Faye's depression) has done little to try and help, and seems genuinely surprised that Faye was drinking at work, the day after she said she never wanted to be sober and the afternoon after she came in reeking of booze with no hangover.
Don't mind me.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #143 on: 19 Jan 2015, 18:43 »

Not firing Faye, extreme, but justified. I mean firing Faye NOW. It'd be one thing if she told Faye to go home and they'd talk in the morning, but firing her when she's drunk and hurting?

I don't think she would have been any less drunk or any less hurting the next morning. It would not have made an ounce of difference.

Dora made the tough decision and she made it resolutely. If she had put it off, she may not have been able to to it. Yet it absolutely had to be done. Props to her, I say.

The change Faye has been desperately avoiding has now arrived. Maybe she can now start to deal with it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #144 on: 19 Jan 2015, 18:45 »

I don't think she would have been any less drunk or any less hurting the next morning. It would not have made an ounce of difference.
She would've know she'd been caught, and acted accordingly. If that meant still drinking, then I'd stand by the firing. If that meant sobering up and getting a hold of herself, then Dora may have still fired her, but hopefully would talk to Faye about getting her help.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #145 on: 19 Jan 2015, 18:48 »

Prediction: Jeph will now alternate between horrible conflict scenes culminating in Dora firing Faye and sweet, sweet scenes of Marten and Claire having the BEST TIME EVER - just to mess with our heads!  :psyduck:

I'm sure Maridale will get in there somehow.

mikmaxs

« Reply #146 on: 19 Jan 2015, 18:50 »

Just to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass, I went back and looked closely at the comics since Christmas. Literally everything we see Dora do to support and help Faye is tell her 'Alcohol isn't the solution, Faye.'
Furthermore, when she sees Faye drinking at work, there is absolutely no sympathy, concern, or worry in her expression. We see confusion, and then anger. That's it. Some friend.

Send her home, definitely. Tell her she can't come back in until she sobers up. Hold an intervention. Make sure everyone else knows what is going on so they can help. Don't just yell at your friend for a minute and tell them they're fired without another word.
Don't mind me.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #147 on: 19 Jan 2015, 18:51 »

If your friend says they want to be drunk all the time because they can't handle what they're going through, you go out of your way to help this friend. You do NOT ignore their problem and then get mad at them only when it begins to directly affect yourself.
This is an understandable, humane and decent impulse. It's also exactly what alcoholism needs in order to thrive. Show me an alcoholic that went on drinking for years, and I'll show you someone with enablers trying misguidedly to help them. Dora's doing the right thing.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #148 on: 19 Jan 2015, 18:51 »

This is my surprised face. This is me being surprised.

And this is a small business, not a huge corporation that has resources to help people deal with alcoholism. One incident where Faye hurts someone because she's drunk and the business is basically over.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

HannahRose

• Plantmonster
« Reply #149 on: 19 Jan 2015, 18:51 »

I told myself I wouldn't start commenting in the forums, because it's time consuming and habit forming, but I just HAD to say something after this much needed bomb finally dropped on Faye's self centered head. Now I'm not going to lie, I've never really liked Faye. I think she's selfish, stubborn, and generally obnoxious for no reason other than because she's too afraid to deal with her own issues, but even from an objective point of view, it astounds me that so many people *still* feel sorry for her here. I mean when it comes right down to it, she has abused the trust and good will of her friends time and time again for years, but this time she went too far, and she fully deserves to face some real consequences for it. Faye might not be a terrible person at her core, but she has behaved incredibly selfishly, and especially after all the times her friends have overlooked it in the past, this absolutely had to be the last straw. I mean she came into work, drunk, and furthermore continued to drink while still at work. She took the immense amount of trust that Dora placed in her, and threw it back in her face just because she's upset with something going on in her life outside of work, AGAIN. Honestly, all things considered, this goes beyond just being worthy of a firing, this is friendship ending grade stuff. I'm not saying that I think it will actually come to that, but if it did, Faye would definitely deserve it.

Anyway, that's just my personal point of view on the situation. In terms of what I feel would be good for the actual story, and the development of the characters therein, I still hope that she doesn't get her job back. I don't think that it would do her, Dora, or anybody who's involved any good if everybody just forgave and forgot something that Faye did because she refuses to learn how to deal with life like an adult, yet again. It needs to be a turning point in her life, and for that to happen she needs to face the music, not be coddled.

I feel an intervention coming on. (Hopefully)

And holy bejeezus people, stop attacking Dora. She has every freakin' right to be as angry as she wants right now. Faye coming into work drunk was bad enough, but continuing to drink while still *at* work, near the beginning of her shift, lost her any and all claim that she might have had on even a shred of sympathy. She's threatened Dora's business, and betrayed her trust. You shouldn't be saying "Fuck you Dora", you should be saying "Holy shit, good on her for finally firing Faye. That selfish shit certainly deserved it this time." I mean ultimately, if you want to feel sorry for Faye then go ahead, that's up to you, but don't do it at the expense of your opinion of Dora, she absolutely did the right thing here.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2015, 19:55 by HannahRose »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Up