THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 02:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What next on this wild and crazy ride we call QC?

Faypocalypse Sven
- 9 (6.9%)
Claireten Snuggles
- 12 (9.2%)
Clintonhand Naughtyness
- 3 (2.3%)
Dora fires Faye - Drama and drunkenness ensues
- 50 (38.2%)
Clairemom and Martenmom accidentally meet
- 4 (3.1%)
Emily gets weirder (is that even possible?)
- 4 (3.1%)
Sven rescues Faye - Dora gets wrong end of stick
- 12 (9.2%)
The surprise return on Angus - Blood and mayhem ensue
- 5 (3.8%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 7 (5.3%)
Whatever it is, it'll be completely unexpected
- 22 (16.8%)
ALIENS!
- 3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2878-2882 (19-23 January 2015)  (Read 129637 times)

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
Re: WCDT: 2878-2882 (19-23 January 2015)
« Reply #300 on: 20 Jan 2015, 03:45 »

Well put, RF!
What do you know about Pokémon?

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.
« Reply #301 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:00 »

Quote from: MrNumbers
... I want to see this strip now.

Oh my, the possibilities. SWAT team standoff, Bianchi parents trying to calm her down with baked goods, Pintsize contributing to the crisis ...

Seriously. I'm starting to realize just how dangerous my own on-the-job shenanigans might actually have been back in the day.

Daaaaaaaang.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #302 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:05 »

There is a bit of humor in the fact that Dora is dating the person who regularly goes in to work tripping balls.

SJCrew

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #303 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:08 »

And at this point, I'm not going to count it if she realizes later and feels like crap about it: She's done that every time she makes a mistake.
Because she's human. Or a well-written fictional portrayal of one, anyhow. It's part of the game.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #304 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:10 »

There is a bit of humor in the fact that Dora is dating the person who regularly went in to work tripping balls.

Dora isn't Tai's boss so it isn't something she necessarily has an opinion about (although I do wonder sometimes if Tai may have already decided to cut back after the faux pas of forgetting to tell Marten she's already graduated).

That said, it might be an interesting arc (in the fullness of time) for Dora and Tai to have a cold few weeks after an argument about Tai's drug habit, possibly exacerbated by Tai missing her swinging life-style and having sudden cold feet about commitment. This would almost certainly devolve into yet another personal crisis between his friends that Marten has to referee/mediate. FWIW, that's one of the starting points for the potential Taira Marriage Arc.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Emperor Norton

« Reply #305 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:16 »

Actually, I could see more the argument happening because Tai doesn't agree with her firing Faye because to her showing up with your brain messed up isn't a big deal.

Also, I do think its funny that people treat what Tai did as much less offensive, just because its "party" drugs. Faye was drunk, but still obviously coherent enough that Dora didn't notice until she actually saw her with the bottle. Tai was literally seeing the employees she was supposed to manage as firebreathing dragons.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not against what Dora did (though I think she should have sent her home then talked it through the next day, then fired her if that was what was necessary), I just think that its an interesting comparison. I'm not sure I would want to date someone who wasn't at least ethically on the same level as I would hold an employee. (Not saying only someone I would hire would be dateable, because they might not have the right skillset or temperament, but I wouldn't want to date someone who would break the ethics style rules of my company)
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2015, 04:23 by Emperor Norton »

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving
« Reply #306 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:22 »

In situations like this, it is hard to say what the correct course of action is. Faye is clearly in the wrong, but did Dora really handle it the right way? Or, to put it another way: How would I react and respond if I were in Dora's position?

My answer? I don't know. My own life has been a series of slippery slopes with only a couple of reliable tracks found thus far (I haven't hit bottom before, but sometimes one's own psychology can make it feel like you're there). I have never been in Dora's shoes, where I've had to make such a decision.

However, was an on the spot firing really justified? I don't think so. Immediate unpaid leave, with strict conditions that Faye gets help to clean herself up in two weeks or then she's out on her ass? That is a fair call, and is strict without being harsh. You've laid down your terms and conditions, and they have to act, knowing there will be repercussions if they don't.

The current decision, given that it is probably mid-morning, could lead anywhere (and BenRG has laid out a few scenarios that get very dark very fast). Will Faye seek comfort in the bottom of a bottle (which, given she lost her boyfriend, her job and possibly also her best friend in the space of a week, is highly likely)? Will Faye decide that Northampton doesn't have a place for her in it anymore, and follow Angus to NYC (Maybe. Angus didn't really want to split, but Faye made the call and he bitterly accepted that decision)? Or will Faye decide that the world has no place for her in it anymore, and attempt or commit suicide? QC is a pretty good reflection of real life, but it would be absolutely fucking heartbreaking to anyone, who has invested so much of their own life, whether it be the characters in the QCverse, or even us as readers and members of this online community, to accept or even really grasp such an act of desperation. Especially so for the people who unfortunately have been there, and more so for those who have to deal with the repercussions of those decisions.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Emperor Norton

« Reply #307 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:23 »

Also, I think the comic has been pretty clear. Dora ISN'T Faye's best friend. Marten is.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #308 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:33 »

Come to think of it, we have seen Dora Boss quite a lot recently, but Dora Friend not so much. Does that mean that Dora has distanced herself from their friendship lately? When was the last time Dora appeared in a social setting with Faye? After Dora moved to Amherst, and started her relationship with Tai, I guess she in practice (if not by design) has removed herself from Faye's "inner circle" (currently, Marten, Hannelore, and Pintsize).

Dora Boss is a tough nut. Although she tolerates quite a lot from her employees, there is a limit; in particular if it has negative impact on her business. Therefore, I shall not judge Dora too harshly yet (but if Dora Friend does not appear after work, I shall be pissed at her). Dora Friend cannot let Faye destroy herself without at least trying to help.

I guess the best option for Dora Friend is to alert Marten and Hanners about the situation. They are probably the only ones that can really help Faye through this. There will definitely be snags (Sven comes to my mind), but long term recovery is still possible.

S/S Claireten might suffer through this. Marten can try to explain the situation to Claire, but it might feed Claire's insecurities and lead to a breakup. Still, I guess Marten will do everything he can to try to help Faye.

Warning - while you were typing 12 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Busy day, indeed...

phyllis

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #309 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:35 »

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. The reason that this week has dragged me out of lurkerdom is to make this point--people have brought up that Faye told Dora she wanted to be drunk whenever she was awake. That strip reminded me of a thing in one of my friendships, where one of my friends has a history of trying to kill herself, but also often makes jokes about wanting to kill herself, both when she is and isn't suicidal. Although I *hate* that she does that, because it makes it almost impossible for me to know whether she's serious or joking, she does it as a distancing technique. I think Faye was doing the same thing, and Dora had the same problem that I've just mentioned--having no idea whether Faye was being serious, because she is so used to Faye joking about being wasted that she can't actually assess what frame of mind she's in.

I also wanted to point out that Dora has been concerned about Faye's drinking for a REALLY long time, even in-strip:
 http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=981

She has previously released her from work to go to therapy, specifically to allow her to discuss her drinking:
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=989

She encouraged her to attend the gym when that was the therapist's recommended alternative outlet:
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=991

She even went with her (although more due to competitiveness than supportiveness):
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=999

I definitely feel for Faye, but this is not the first time that her drinking has caused her problems in her personal life, and her friends have tried to help her more gently before--including Dora, who actually called Marten out for not addressing it properly.

Scarblac

• Plantmonster
« Reply #310 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:43 »

You've laid down your terms and conditions, and they have to act, knowing there will be repercussions if they don't.
They already had a discussion about alcohol at work the day before, and Dora made it clear that that was not an option. So that point was already past.

Anyway, in the real world drinking on the job is immediate dismissal too. Dora didn't really have a choice.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #311 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:50 »

S/S Claireten might suffer through this. Marten can try to explain the situation to Claire, but it might feed Claire's insecurities and lead to a breakup. Still, I guess Marten will do everything he can to try to help Faye.

Which makes me think of a couple of other possibilities.

Maybe Marten decides to not focus on Faye, after his breakup with Dora in an extremely similar (although much smaller magnitude) scenario. Maybe that's even the best thing for Faye, if it helps her hit rock bottom more safely.

Maybe Marten decides to involve Claire in helping Faye, specifically to alleviate her anxieties. And, Claire might even like that idea - even though she and Faye hadn't gotten along in the past, they were getting on better terms, and Faye gave her the push to realize what her feelings actually were towards Marten - she may even feel that she owes Faye. This may not be the best thing for Faye, mind you.

Now, I wonder if Clairedad had any other vices other than cheating, too... for some reason, I think Claire's going to be important in this arc, and I suspect there's a twist regarding her.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2015, 04:56 by bhtooefr »

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #312 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:59 »

@bhtooefr,

Actually, I can see Claire being defensive of Marten and getting into an argument with Faye about how her behaviour is hurting him. This would come as a cold slap in the face for Faye who, like many in her situation, isn't likely to consider the affects of her behaviour on others until it is literally rubbed in her face.

It's even money if this would make her turn around or if it would be another personal fault in the increasingly long list that makes her question the value of her continued existence.
~~~~

ASB84

« Reply #313 on: 20 Jan 2015, 04:59 »

Dora caring about Faye and wanting to help her, and Dora taking harsh but not inappropriate action as her employer are not mutually exclusive, either. I would suggest that she does indeed care about Faye and doesn't want to add to her troubles or see her come to harm, but at the same time, her trust has been betrayed (personally and professionally) and her hand has been forced. It's strongly suggested that drinking/being drunk on the job is a zero tolerance issue; friend or not, if that's the case, then it's hardly an overreaction. Of course, this being Dora, it's always going to look like one. If nothing else, she could've chosen less terse wording, but it is a big deal, and she's obviously (and rightfully) angry about the situation, so it's understandable.

It's not that Faye's situation doesn't warrant sympathy - in-universe and out - but she also messed up, big time. Firing her isn't exactly a nice thing to do, and short term it isn't helpful (in the long run, as a means of not enabling her, and providing her with a wakeup call...well, perhaps it will be), but by the apparent terms of her employment, it's justified.

And, as others have pointed out, on top of the possible risks and severe consequences Dora would face for allowing an employee to work while impaired, it's also potentially affecting the employment and income of the rest of the CoD staff. Furthermore, a slap on the wrist sends a bad message to the rest of the staff, and they would be quite within their rights to be upset if the assistant manager - who they're not that thrilled about being in charge in the first place - was allowed to benefit from a double standard like that.

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #314 on: 20 Jan 2015, 05:25 »

4 - It's been mentioned by someone, but not picked up, that Faye could now see herself free to follow Angus, if he is willing to take her back.  As the immediate cause of her resumption of drinking is the separation, that would give her the opportunity to get back in control without the same level of temptation.  Whether such a decision would lead to her being on the bus permanently would be up to Jeph, of course; but it would give more space for Marten's relationship with Claire to develop, and help stem the perpetual increase in the number of characters that slows the story down more and more.

I know that I made point on Number 4 here in last week's thread. However, long ago when I suggested that Dora's Svenectomy decision certainly must have been precipitated by some off-screen unacceptable behaviour, I was more or less told that Jeph doesn't "do" off-screen, and what you see is what you get in QC. If this is true, then Angus has washed his hands of Faye. Without the allowance that he tried to reach out to her off-screen, we are left to assume he has shaken her off and is preparing for her new life, and may not want Faye to follow him.

That doesn't preclude her doing some Felicity-type thing and finding success as an artist and the love of her life in New York, but at the moment, it seems as if Angus is over the relationship and her. I'll admit when I wrote that, I did so thinking it was the least of the possibilities and that Faye would not have to face the consequences of her actions quite so soon.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #315 on: 20 Jan 2015, 05:28 »

Dora could be as much firing Faye for her own good as anything else. I'm sure that once she's sorted herself out she'll be welcomed back with open arms.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #316 on: 20 Jan 2015, 05:30 »

@phyllis: Excellent first post. Welcome!

Yes, Faye's alcohol consumption has been a running gag throughout the series, but also with a very serious undertone. Her friends have been concerned for a long time. Personally, I do not have any close friends struggling with alcoholism, but I can certainly understand and appreciate Jeph's handling of the subject. The bottom line is that there are no easy ways out, it is a slippery slope leading to self-destruction. If Faye manages to escape from this in a believable manner (and with a little humor), it will be masterful storytelling indeed.

Other speculations:
  • Is CoD (and Dora) being demoted from the main cast? Perhaps Jeph is getting tired of the coffeeshop theme.
  • How will Hanners react? I guess she will be furious at Dora. Let us hope she refrains from orbital bombardment. But at the very least, she might quit her job at CoD. It is not as if she needs the money.
  • Sven will definitely make a reappearance. My guess is that this will be a Bad Thing, but Jeph may have other ideas.
  • Personally, I am hoping Hanners invites Faye to the Station. Faye may get treatment there, and perhaps be offered a barista job. I suspect they really need better coffee up there. It could also lead to an even bigger quantum leap in creativity.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #317 on: 20 Jan 2015, 05:34 »

Regarding Hannelore, if Faye wants to listen, she might be the Voice of Experience.

Hanners has been slowly working herself off of the small zoo of psychiatric medications that she initially needed even to be able to function. Although she still has plenty of quirks and probably will never be free of them all, she has made considerable progress mostly by personal force of will. If anyone can preach to Faye of working your way off of chemical dependence (in a way that is both unintentionally funny but also without cruelty) it is her.
~~~~

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #318 on: 20 Jan 2015, 06:03 »

...This is going to be one of those record-breaking threads, isn't it?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

eschaton

• Furry furrier
« Reply #319 on: 20 Jan 2015, 06:15 »

Also, I do think its funny that people treat what Tai did as much less offensive, just because its "party" drugs. Faye was drunk, but still obviously coherent enough that Dora didn't notice until she actually saw her with the bottle. Tai was literally seeing the employees she was supposed to manage as firebreathing dragons.

Tai is also regularly stoned at work.  We've seen her taking hits outside while talking to Marten.  Which no one has thought of as being a big deal, either in comic or in the thread. 

I have no doubt that when Dora tries to talk about it with Tai, she'll think it was a huge over-reaction to fire Faye.  Tai has been established as being pretty carefree/irresponsible (but smart enough to fake competence anyway). 

Come to think about it, Marten was even drinking on the job once.  Mind you, it was because his supervisor gave him a drink, but still. 

More generally to the current debate, while Dora might be doing the right thing, (both as an employer and as a friend) I see nothing of friendship in her eyes.  No exasperation and line-drawing.  Just being pissed.  So I don't think she's acting out of the goodness of her heart here, although she might later rationalize it as such. 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #320 on: 20 Jan 2015, 06:39 »

A difference between Tai being stoned and Faye being drunk is that Tai is the boss and has basically free reign at the library, where Faye was told directly the day before that being drunk at work is not acceptable. Tai doesn't go around hiding being impaired the way Faye has been either. I'm not saying Tai is any better for this. No matter what, being drunk or high at work is very irresponsible. The issue is that Faye broke the rules, and one of the big ones.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #321 on: 20 Jan 2015, 06:55 »

That makes me think of yet another way this could go.

Marten and Tai simultaneously siding against Claire and Dora on how to handle this.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #322 on: 20 Jan 2015, 06:56 »

My personal take on this is that Faye put Dora in a position where all Dora's options were bad ones.

And let me emphasize: Faye put Dora in that position. It's not like Dora was looking for an excuse to fire Faye. This is a direct result of Faye's actions. Dora had to respond, and she had no good options, so criticizing her for not finding one is absurd. Dora did what she had to do. She's probably no happier about it than any of us are.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #323 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:07 »

THREE PAGES since midnight? 

I think I'm going to hunker down 'till next week. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #324 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:18 »

Faye has done what Faye does:  duck relationships and drink to dull the pain.

Dora has done what Dora does: angry knee-jerk reaction.

It remains to be seen if Marten will do what Marten does (support Faye unconditionally).

Tai and Claire are unknown quantities in this sort of issue, but if they don't end up being involved, I'll be disappointed.

Good stuff, storytelling-wise.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.
« Reply #325 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:22 »

Why didn't Faye just take the bottle into the bathroom? I mean, the stockroom, where anyone could wander in and catch you mid-tipple? Amateur hour.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #326 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:26 »

This may be extremely evil, but possibility for tomorrow's comic:

Faye and Dora silently leave the storage room as Penny arrives for work. Faye heads for the door, looking sad. Dora says to Penny, "You're the new assistant manager." Penny puts two and two together and realizes Faye's been fired. She cheers in celebration. Faye, still within range of hearing, is horrified.  :psyduck:

After all, it isn't the first time Penny's said something inappropriate around Faye.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #327 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:27 »

I'm also amazed that people aren't jumping on Marten for "ignoring Fayes desperate cries for help". He lives with her, he's seen how drunk she's been getting, and he is probably aware of how many bottles are lying around the house (empty or otherwise)

<sarcasm> Clearly Marten is a terrible friend! He should have dropped everything to help Faye, but instead he is going to work and planning dates with cute girls! How dare he! </sarcasm>

As for Tai, If the University paid any amount of attention to her, they would probably have laid down the law about drugs, but they clearly don't care as long as the library doesn't burn down and comes in under budget.

Also, in Jephs writing, you can clearly tell tone. Tai's drug use has always been played for laughs, while Fayes drinking has always been taken fairly seriously.

Xenologist

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #328 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:28 »

Does anyone else think that Pintsize is going to play a role in this? He has previously said that he thinks his job with Marten is almost finished. He is a zany comic relief character, but we did get that little bit of exposition where he explains what his 'purpose' (it was to momo i think?)

Then here: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2872

He is hanging out with Faye, but he seems to be taking it as seriously as he ever really takes anything of importance (he even seems to be trying to give her honest and useful advice). And his punchline was very subdued compared to his normal craziness. 

I think we might see this:
-Faye goes home
-Prepares for something drastic
-Pintsize appears as a voice of reason *gasp*

Just a thought. I'm very likely completely wrong but it would be interesting because it would provide more development for a primarily comic relief character.

P.S. maybe even becoming Fayes andro-pc companion? Can companions switch humans?

EDIT: Found the original comic i was thinking of : http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2332
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2015, 07:51 by Xenologist »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #329 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:28 »

My personal take on this is that Faye put Dora in a position where all Dora's options were bad ones.

And let me emphasize: Faye put Dora in that position. It's not like Dora was looking for an excuse to fire Faye. This is a direct result of Faye's actions. Dora had to respond, and she had no good options, so criticizing her for not finding one is absurd. Dora did what she had to do. She's probably no happier about it than any of us are.

Yes! Exactly! Dora is in a lose-lose situation here, but it was Faye who put her in that position!

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #330 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:30 »

The other thing is that Tai's main drug is far less damaging than alcohol can be. (That's not to say that there aren't people whose lives have been fucked up while on marijuana, but how much of that is due to it being illegal, and the culture around it, rather than inherent characteristics of the drug? At the very least, the addiction mechanisms are very different and not as damaging.)

eschaton

• Furry furrier
« Reply #331 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:36 »

A difference between Tai being stoned and Faye being drunk is that Tai is the boss and has basically free reign at the library, where Faye was told directly the day before that being drunk at work is not acceptable. Tai doesn't go around hiding being impaired the way Faye has been either. I'm not saying Tai is any better for this. No matter what, being drunk or high at work is very irresponsible. The issue is that Faye broke the rules, and one of the big ones.

Note, I'm not saying Faye being drunk at work is excusable from an employment standpoint.  I'm saying that everyone is now convinced that Faye is an alcoholic because she shows up drunk for work one time.  But no one thought that Tai had a drug problem despite being on something at work all the friggin time. 

Mind you, as alluded upthread, I think Jeph is using Faye here to channel some of his own issues with drinking, so I know why he decided to make Faye's descent scary, but make Tai seem harmless.  Still, I'm not sure why the rest of the cast (and the audience it seems) are personally treating the two so differently. 

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #332 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:38 »

One thing is that Faye's descent has a history of depression and potentially suicidal thoughts, that we and the cast both know about.

Tai's drug use seems to be the "I go to a liberal arts school and party all the time" type, not as much trying to escape from mental issues. Then again, maybe it is.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #333 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:41 »

Tai's drug use seems to be the "I go to a liberal arts school and party all the time" type, not as much trying to escape from mental issues. Then again, maybe it is.

Tai does have her own issues; she mentioned to either Marten or Dora that she was bullied for her sexual orientation at school and that left some behavioural scars. However, I don't think she has anything approaching the scale and severity of Faye's near-untreated condition.
~~~~

Rusty

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #334 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:47 »

For some reason reading this, the first thing I thought of was Fayes dad, and potentially her heading that way... But that seems dark for this

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #335 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:47 »

Oh, and it's worth noting that Faye's outright mentioned that her alcohol consumption is self-medication for her depression and PTSD: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=298

And I recall a similar comment before she went into therapy, too.

Edit: Here: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=806

And it was after she started therapy.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2015, 07:57 by bhtooefr »

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #336 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:54 »

Note, I'm not saying Faye being drunk at work is excusable from an employment standpoint.  I'm saying that everyone is now convinced that Faye is an alcoholic because she shows up drunk for work one time

I don't think that's why everyone is convinced that Faye is an alcoholic. We've seen her use alcohol as a Coping Mechanism even before Angus first went to New York for the audition (and I don't think that's the first time we've actually seen her refer to it as a coping mechanism - I think she made reference to it back after The Talk, though I could be misremembering).  We've seen her allude to Emergency Bourbon, seemingly as a joke but realistically this is something that's been a theme throughout the comic.  Faye hits a breaking point, Faye starts to drink.  It's not an isolated incident.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #337 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:57 »

Note, I'm not saying Faye being drunk at work is excusable from an employment standpoint.  I'm saying that everyone is now convinced that Faye is an alcoholic because she shows up drunk for work one time.

No, we're saying that Faye is an alcoholic because she clearly has a substance problem. Her drinking has been a plot feature throughout the comic, Faye was nervous about talking to her therapist about her drinking, Her friends have expressed concern about her drinking before, and the first thing Faye does when something bad happens is reach for a bottle. Not to mention Fayes depression.

The reason people are flipping their shit now is because Faye's drinking is fucking up her life. Before this, you could call Faye a functioning alcoholic. I wouldn't say you could do that now.

cabbagehut

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #338 on: 20 Jan 2015, 08:32 »

I don't really think Dora was in the wrong to fire Faye.  It's really hard to figure out how to help someone that you think might have a dependence problem, and I'm not sure anything Dora ever did could actually help.  I also don't really believe in the "snap out of it" argument.  I mean, maybe it happens, but it seems that people with substance abuse problems tend not to respond to that.  They just see it as other people being unreasonable, mean, two-faced, uptight, etc.  They seem to find something on their own that turns the tables, but I'm no expert here.

All that said, without a job, is it possible for Faye to access help?  If she had insurance to see her therapist before, she probably won't now.  Things like detox, therapy, etc., cost considerable money, and depending on how realistic the strip decides to go with it (it wavers for the sake of comedy, but tends to side on the more realistic for serious plotlines), Faye might not be able to go get help if she decides she wants it.  Again, it's not necessarily Dora's responsibility, but there could be more to the losing a job than losing a job and possibly friend.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #339 on: 20 Jan 2015, 08:37 »

That could be a good way for Hanners to step in. Faye complains that she has no insurance anymore and Hanners offers to pay for Faye's treatment.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #340 on: 20 Jan 2015, 08:48 »

Jeph's chirper
Tomorrow may be filler though because jetlag lol

Ahhhh!

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #341 on: 20 Jan 2015, 09:26 »

Jeph's chirper
Tomorrow may be filler though because jetlag lol

Ahhhh!

Well, it is a seven-hour flight followed up by how long a car journey back to town? I wouldn't feel like drawing any strips either!
~~~~

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #342 on: 20 Jan 2015, 09:33 »

I can't believe you guys are talking about Dora firing Faye when the really important thing in this comic is obviously the pulsating orange-blue soap dispenser.  :-P

You mean that wasn't a hallucination?

Oh, thank god...

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #343 on: 20 Jan 2015, 09:36 »

Well, it is a seven-hour flight followed up by how long a car journey back to town? I wouldn't feel like drawing any strips either!

The drive home from the airport depends on which airport he's flying into. It's probably Boston, which is around 2 hours from Northampton with a large variation depending on traffic. He could also be flying into Hartford, which is only 45 minutes.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

FayeDouble

• Not quite a lurker
  • There's a fine art to goofing off
« Reply #344 on: 20 Jan 2015, 09:37 »

Wow. I knew when I saw today's comic the thread would explode, and it has. Throwing my 2 cents in here:
1) As you can guess from my name, I adore Faye. That being said, I think Dora was right. As someone who has tried to help an alcoholic out of their situation, they can't and won't change until they want to. No matter how much we care for them. It's an illness. Dora needed to protect her business, and had already given warnings about this behavior.
2) I'm not sure if Sven or Angus will appear to help Faye. Either she will be crying somewhere and Sven will find her and try to help her since he loves her, or she will take off to New York on a bus and fall into Angus' arms crying. Either way, or if something else happens (which is very likely) we are at a major turning point in Faye's life.
3) Even if Faye does sober up, I don't see her working at CoD anymore. It's become less of a focal point in the comic lately, and the breach of trust Faye created is hard to heal. I see her pursuing another road, after she's sobered up.
4) I suspect a major time-jump is coming, where at least 6 months will flash by. During this time Faye has sobered up and found alternate employment. Not before the end of this week, however.

Of course I could be wrong on ALL points. I wonder if Faye will do what her father did...or try to...and maybe Angus will appear and save her?
The possibilities in QC are endless.
A broken heart that never heals is what you'll have if love was real.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #345 on: 20 Jan 2015, 09:46 »

@bhtooefr,

Actually, I can see Claire being defensive of Marten and getting into an argument with Faye about how her behaviour is hurting him. This would come as a cold slap in the face for Faye who, like many in her situation, isn't likely to consider the affects of her behaviour on others until it is literally rubbed in her face.

It's even money if this would make her turn around or if it would be another personal fault in the increasingly long list that makes her question the value of her continued existence.

Actually, I see it going a different way.  I think Faye would lash out at Claire, Marten immediately backs up his girlfriend, Faye loses another friend, and discovers that you can still dig yourself deeper after you hit rock bottom if you try hard enough.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #346 on: 20 Jan 2015, 09:54 »

Dora could have offered a hug right after the breakup, and could have said she was concerned when Faye first turned to a bottle.

I'd think better of her skills as a friend, as would many people who've posted.

It wouldn't have made a difference. Faye would still have gone off the rails and Dora would have been confronted with the same decision.

It's relevant that Faye snapped pretty fast.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Echoweaver

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #347 on: 20 Jan 2015, 10:00 »

Heya. Longtime QC reader, first time poster -- because the need to talk about today's post finally overcame my laziness and made me go hunt up the forum.

My first thought reading through this thread was that Faye isn't automatically an alcoholic because she self-medicates with alcohol. Alcohol's addictiveness is tricksy (I love that Chrome marks "tricksey" as misspelled but is fine with "tricksy"), and not all problems that present as excessive drinking are physical addiction to alcohol. In some ways, I think it would be interesting if her problem was alcoholism, just because that would be a different take on things.

However, after following the links everyone posted and thinking about how long this has been building, I think she probably is an alcoholic. Faye seems to be able to keep her drinking within the bounds of acceptability when she has everything else under control. But when life hands her a stressbomb, especially one like this with built-in recrimination and self-loathing, she just loses it.

I'm on the side of Dora here. "You will be fired if drunk at work." is often a biggie in the old employee handbook. Being the boss of your friends (literally rather than figuratively) is dangerous. I think she HAS to fire Faye, perhaps more so even than if she had no relationship with Faye outside of work. She's a small business owner living on the edge. She can't afford the conflict of interest and the potential damage it could do to CoD.

Faye leaving CoD may well have broad consequences for the story. It enables Dora and CoD to move even further to the periphery of QC. I don't know if that will happen or not, but that *is* the way relationships and life tend to happen.... they slowly drift and change.

I think it's interesting that Sven has walked back into Faye's life recently. I've always secretly wanted to see Sven and Faye give it another go. I adore Sven precisely because he's a shithead -- a shithead who now can see him self and is trying desperately to bootstrap his head out of his ass. I think that if Sven gets word of Faye's newfound single status, he's likely to track her down. I think the probability of this being a Bad Thing is about 70%, with a 20% chance of it actually being a chance for Sven to take his next step to humanity, and 10% being just peripheral annoyance.

It's going to be hard to wait till tomorrow morning for another comic.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2015, 10:07 by Echoweaver »

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #348 on: 20 Jan 2015, 10:04 »

Actually, I see it going a different way.  I think Faye would lash out at Claire, Marten immediately backs up his girlfriend, Faye loses another friend, and discovers that you can still dig yourself deeper after you hit rock bottom if you try hard enough.

I would think Marten usually keeps cool, and wouldn't back up either side in this case. I seem to remember that it wouldn't be the first time.

twixieshores

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #349 on: 20 Jan 2015, 10:21 »

Faye has done what Faye does:  duck relationships and drink to dull the pain.

Dora has done what Dora does: angry knee-jerk reaction.

It remains to be seen if Marten will do what Marten does (support Faye unconditionally).

Tai and Claire are unknown quantities in this sort of issue, but if they don't end up being involved, I'll be disappointed.

Good stuff, storytelling-wise.

Actually, in this case, Dora is doing what literally any boss in the real world would do after catching their employee drinking on the job. The only place that is even SOMEWHAT acceptable is a bar. Faye has blown through a million chances with Dora. This isn't a knee-jerk reaction, it's an entrepreneur who has had enough of her employee taking advantage of their friendship.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20   Go Up