THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 May 2024, 04:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What next on this wild and crazy ride we call QC?

Faypocalypse Sven
- 9 (6.9%)
Claireten Snuggles
- 12 (9.2%)
Clintonhand Naughtyness
- 3 (2.3%)
Dora fires Faye - Drama and drunkenness ensues
- 50 (38.2%)
Clairemom and Martenmom accidentally meet
- 4 (3.1%)
Emily gets weirder (is that even possible?)
- 4 (3.1%)
Sven rescues Faye - Dora gets wrong end of stick
- 12 (9.2%)
The surprise return on Angus - Blood and mayhem ensue
- 5 (3.8%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 7 (5.3%)
Whatever it is, it'll be completely unexpected
- 22 (16.8%)
ALIENS!
- 3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2878-2882 (19-23 January 2015)  (Read 132370 times)

AnnathEawesoMe

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
Re: WCDT: 2878-2882 (19-23 January 2015)
« Reply #500 on: 21 Jan 2015, 19:26 »

This is huge. Rather than leaving with the impression of just being fired for drinking, Faye can now portray Dora as having flipped out on her and being out of touch with reality. I totally agree with Natswash that Faye can and probably will tell her friends she quit instead of being fired. More importantly, Faye can now use this angle to poison Marten/everyone else against Dora and avoid admitting the real reason for her dismissal.

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #501 on: 21 Jan 2015, 19:28 »

I predict Faye will now gravitate towards Sven, as he might be both a place of temporary comfort and in her mind a way to get back at Dora. 

We're gonna see more and worse destructive behavior before this gets any better.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2015, 19:34 by Zalder »
-It's tradition!
-Tradition is the illusion of permanence.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #502 on: 21 Jan 2015, 19:36 »

Makes sense.  Dora drops Sven from her life to avoid drama (she's trying to make her life less complicated), and fires Faye for the same reason.  Faye + Sven would make the drama bomb reach "nuke the entire site from orbit" levels.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #503 on: 21 Jan 2015, 19:37 »

Thank FSM she doesn't have a car.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...
« Reply #504 on: 21 Jan 2015, 19:42 »

I predict Faye will now gravitate towards Sven, as he might be both a place of temporary comfort and in her mind a way to get back at Dora. 

We're gonna see more and worse destructive behavior before this gets any better.
So instead of a Svenectomy I get a Svenpocolypse?!
While recognizing it would be wrong to cheer I am a little tempted.
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #505 on: 21 Jan 2015, 19:43 »

This is huge. Rather than leaving with the impression of just being fired for drinking, Faye can now portray Dora as having flipped out on her and being out of touch with reality. I totally agree with Natswash that Faye can and probably will tell her friends she quit instead of being fired. More importantly, Faye can now use this angle to poison Marten/everyone else against Dora and avoid admitting the real reason for her dismissal.

Except Marten's reaction will most likely be to talk to Dora.  The other employees at the coffee shop are going to hear Dora's side first, and most likely agree with her.  I predict Hanners is going to be a nervous wreck after this though.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #506 on: 21 Jan 2015, 19:43 »

I thought Dora encouraged insubordination.

I've found that smaller companies and businesses tend to develop a sort of friendly insubordination just by the nature of their size. It's natural, because everyone knows each other or at least they know a fair bit of each other.

My last big job was with a small committee-run company helping to develop tourism in a local area, so we always had some big event or display on, especially when 2013 was the "Year of the Gathering". There was myself and three other full time staff, including the boss and during the year we had about 20 students working with us from various programs. For the most part I was in charge of training the students as well as dealing with vendors for fairs. Now, for most of the year, I could jokingly tell my boss to "feck off, I'm busy" while she called me a "sarcastic bastard". All in good fun, but there was also knowing where the boundries were - I would never dare dream of talking to anyone like that in front of board member (where we got most of our funding), nor would I talk like that during a meeting. Likewise the first day we had students in, I would be polite and mild-mannered. The reason my boss and I got into that frame of mind was because she knew that any task I was handed would be completed quickly and efficiently and that I wouldn't slack off.

You need that kind of friendly insubordination with a small group of people because it's all on them whether the business succeeds or not. And more likely than not, any small group of people working together will become friends and friends backtalk to each other, it's all about giving as good as you get with some people. But you also need to know when to stop messing around and act like a professional. There has to be a limit, a line drawn in the sand of what is acceptable and what is not and Faye crossed it by drinking on the job, or at least attempting to.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2015, 19:54 by TheEvilDog »

Natswash

• Furry furrier
« Reply #507 on: 21 Jan 2015, 19:47 »

Except Marten's reaction will most likely be to talk to Dora.  The other employees at the coffee shop are going to hear Dora's side first, and most likely agree with her.  I predict Hanners is going to be a nervous wreck after this though.

I dunno,  I could see him finding out from Faye first, then talking to Tai about it. I definitely see Tai getting involved and talking with Claire/Marten about it. Probably talk to Emily too.
Who was it that said this could be Claire's chance to leave the nest while Faye couch surfs? Because as much as I would privately be heartwarmed, it's not likely they've been dating for what? Two/three days? A week tops?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #508 on: 21 Jan 2015, 19:49 »

Faye... what are you doing?  This can't end well.

You should feel bad about things you must do, when they suck. Seriously. Who says, "I had to put the dog down, but it was time so I refuse to feel bad about it"? Really creep people, IMO. Healthy is, "This hurts, and I feel guilty, but I know it's the right thing to do."

My old beagle, I don't feel bad about putting down at all.  When we pulled the injection, the dog had been diabetic and blind for over a year.  Three days before, he had a stroke that left him in a state where we had to guide him to his supper bowl because he could not find it on his own.  Sure, it sucks that I lost a dog I loved, but I honestly believe that the stroke killed the dog and all we had put down was the empty shell.  Call me creepy all you want, but I have never felt guilt about making the call to put him down.

I thought Dora encouraged insubordination.
I've found that smaller companies and businesses tend to develop a sort of friendly insubordination just by the nature of their size. It's natural, because everyone knows each other or at least they know a fair bit of each other.

I can say that at my school, the teachers have this kind of relationship with each other and with our principal.  We know where the line is, we know when to pull the line back (such as in front of students and parents), and hoo boy if a teacher showed up drunk there would be hell to pay.

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #509 on: 21 Jan 2015, 19:50 »

I really hope Faye's downward spiral doesn't cause Marten/Claire or Tai/Dora friction.  I can see that happening, but I really don't want to be more pissed at her than I already am.
-It's tradition!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #510 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:01 »

Call me creepy all you want, but I have never felt guilt about making the call to put him down.
Agreed. I would've felt bad if I weren't in the room with him, but I'll never feel guilty about putting my old dog down a few years ago. That's not to say it wasn't difficult, and I certainly was sad, but never guilty.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #511 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:02 »

Who was it that said this could be Claire's chance to leave the nest while Faye couch surfs? Because as much as I would privately be heartwarmed, it's not likely they've been dating for what? Two/three days? A week tops?

I think they've had all of one official date, not counting breakfast with Mrs. Augustus. So, that's kind of why I'm shaking my head at the idea of Claire moving in with Marten. And I can't imagine either of them thinking it would be a good idea.

If it comes down to Marten needing to pay rent, I'd say Hanners would be the most likely one to step in and offer to help pay the rent for a time, because Marten is her friend.

To me, the most likely candidates for potential flatmates would be Dale (closer to work and Marigold), Tai (wanting to get out of the dorms) or Dora (because it's closer to work and probably cheaper than her house in Amherst). Now, I mention Dora because it would probably cause even more friction between her and Faye (possibly driving her deeper into her demons) and might roughen things between Dora and Tai. (Bear in mind that these are 4am musings and should probably be ignored)

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #512 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:02 »

Okay, this is good. But most of this comic's content needed to happen before Fridays, not after. If Dora had told Faye to get help and Faye had said she doesn't need it before Faye was fired, I'd be firmly in support of Dora here. As it is... Faye isn't in the right here, but Dora still lost likeability.
Don't mind me.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #513 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:06 »

Considering their past relationship, I don't see Dora or Tai moving into an apartment with Marten. Either one of them would probably cause stress between Marten and Dora, and Faye with everyone (more than is going to be caused as is anyway).

TheEvilDog

« Reply #514 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:07 »

Considering their past relationship, I don't see Dora or Tai moving into an apartment with Marten. Either one of them would probably cause stress between Marten and Dora, and Faye with everyone (more than is going to be caused as is anyway).

Kinda my point.
I do like to live up to the middle part of my name at times.

tragic_pizza

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Board Certified Curmudgeon
« Reply #515 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:09 »

As generally unlikable as Dora is, she isn't in the wrong. She pulled back a bit, told Faye to get help.

I am really, really disappointed (but not surprised) with Faye.
[21:19] andy: Mai, I am sorry, I am going to say this outright that I would doeverything in my power to try and have sweet girl love with you.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #516 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:12 »

Some predictions

* Dora may have fired Faye but Dora's going to have to find a way to make herself do the paperwork, she will probably find that harder to do than she feels at the present

* Sven will show up when he can do the most good, not when he can do the most bad

* Unfortunately that means Faye's got farther to fall (yes it's possible)

* Hopefully it doesn't happen while she's babysitting Sam (or if it does then Sam shows herself to be as capable of handling herself as she usually does)

* Marten's going to get hit with some serious choices

* The next time we see Angus he'll be eating cereal

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #517 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:12 »

As it is... Faye isn't in the right here, but Dora still lost likeability.

... I guess, but anyone who is holding Dora to that standard, but not Marten.... is kinda holding a double standard.

Assuming you mean that Dora should have tried to help Faye before she fired her. Marten is just as guilty of not trying to help Faye out in the relatively short span of time it has taken her to spin out of control.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
« Reply #518 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:14 »

Like I said too early for Claire. I think Marigold and MoMo would be the logical choice as we already know that a new roomate is something they'd like.

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #519 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:19 »

I doubt we'll see anyone else move in or Faye move out permanently. I suspect Veronica will be most likely to chip in with the rent until Faye gets back on her feet. She's the most well-off of the cast (other than Hanners), she's openly scoffed at the cost of rent in the area and she'd be helping out her son.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #520 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:21 »

My old beagle, I don't feel bad about putting down at all.  When we pulled the injection, the dog had been diabetic and blind for over a year.  Three days before, he had a stroke that left him in a state where we had to guide him to his supper bowl because he could not find it on his own.  Sure, it sucks that I lost a dog I loved, but I honestly believe that the stroke killed the dog and all we had put down was the empty shell.  Call me creepy all you want, but I have never felt guilt about making the call to put him down.

Agreed. I would've felt bad if I weren't in the room with him, but I'll never feel guilty about putting my old dog down a few years ago. That's not to say it wasn't difficult, and I certainly was sad, but never guilty.

Are you saying you didn't feel bad? I never required guilt. I just said there's nothing wrong, or pathological about guilt itself. That Guilt is Healthy in those circumstances. Broccoli is healthy too, but if you don't eat it, it doesn't mean your sick. Did you declare that you weren't going to feel bad about? Cuz I gotta stick to my guns on that one. That's a bit of creepy thing to do after your dog dies.

If you didn't feel bad, um... Okay. I'm not getting the impression that that's the message, so I don't see the point. Care to elucidate?

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #521 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:23 »

I doubt we'll see anyone else move in or Faye move out permanently. I suspect Veronica will be most likely to chip in with the rent until Faye gets back on her feet. She's the most well-off of the cast (other than Hanners), she's openly scoffed at the cost of rent in the area and she'd be helping out her son.

Veronica as a temporary roommate for Marten?  It's sounds so painful and yet I eagerly want to see it.
-It's tradition!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #522 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:24 »

I believe they meant Veronica covering Faye's half of the rent, not moving in. That's something neither of them would want to do.

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #523 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:28 »

I believe they meant Veronica covering Faye's half of the rent, not moving in. That's something neither of them would want to do.

I understood that, I was just thinking of the possible scenario.  Veronica seems eager to be involved in Marten's life, but I doubt he would ever agree to let her actually move in.
-It's tradition!

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #524 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:30 »

April would be able to confirm this, but I believe that the previous week, in-comic, has lasted three or four months IRL. Of course, I'm sure we've all had weeks where so much has happened that it has ended up feeling like three or four months! :-P

It's worse than that! A week ago in comic time, Veronica signed a lease in Northhampton, May was job-hunting, and Marten went hiking with Emily and Sam. In real time, those strips ran from June 4th to July 1st. So the time dilation factor is currently on the order of 1 day comic time ≈ 30 days real time.

Rusty

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #525 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:34 »

Somehow, I am surprised that nobody has commented in the 2 hours since it was posted.

From what Dora says, it seems as though she has some sympathy for Faye- if she did what Dora suggested, she might even get A job back- not the Ass. Manager, but something. 

But like many people who have developed problems, Faye cant see it.  I forsee that she has yet to hit rock bottom.... 

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #526 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:34 »

The strip's been consistent through most of its run as to approx. 30 strips=1 day.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #527 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:38 »

If you didn't feel bad, um... Okay. I'm not getting the impression that that's the message, so I don't see the point. Care to elucidate?
I can only speak for myself, but if I hadn't convinced myself it was the right thing to do (which it was), I would've been consumed with grief. Like I said, I was very sad, but I didn't feel at fault.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #528 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:42 »

My favorite memory of him will always be the milkshakes. We'd go down to the ice cream parlor and get vanilla milkshakes, and he'd pour a little bourbon in his. He wasn't an alcoholic or anything. I mean he'd have like the one milkshake with bourbon in it a week and that was it, but mom was raised Baptist and didn't want him drinkin' at all. It was our little secret.

I originally took this at face value, but I have become sceptical...
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #529 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:51 »

My favorite memory of him will always be the milkshakes. We'd go down to the ice cream parlor and get vanilla milkshakes, and he'd pour a little bourbon in his. He wasn't an alcoholic or anything. I mean he'd have like the one milkshake with bourbon in it a week and that was it, but mom was raised Baptist and didn't want him drinkin' at all. It was our little secret.

I originally took this at face value, but I have become sceptical...

I was thinking the same thing, that's why I'd really like to see Faye go home for a bit,  maybe we can get more of her backstory as well as her dad's through conversations between her and her mom.
-It's tradition!

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #530 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:55 »

But like many people who have developed problems, Faye cant see it.  I foresee that she has yet to hit rock bottom....

You can run on for a long time, but sooner or later Gods gonna cut you down.

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #531 on: 21 Jan 2015, 20:56 »

... I guess, but anyone who is holding Dora to that standard, but not Marten.... is kinda holding a double standard.
My problem wasn't just that Dora didn't tell her to get help, but either way that's an unfair comparison.
Dora has known Faye for longer, for one. She also spends far more time with Faye than Marten does, and unlike Marten, Dora has been directly told by Faye that she wants to drink herself into oblivion. As far as we've seen, Marten has only observed Faye drinking earlier in the day than usual. Dora has far more information about the situation that Marten does. And, after catching Faye drinking on the job, (Which should come as no surprise after Faye said she wanted to be drunk on the job the day before, came in reeking of booze, happy, and had no hangover,) Dora didn't seem concerned or sympathetic in the slightest, just angry.

So yes, I hold Dora to a different standard then Marten, because Marten is far more ignorant of the situation and hasn't reacted with pure anger to his best friend hitting rock bottom.
Don't mind me.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #532 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:02 »

My problem wasn't just that Dora didn't tell her to get help, but either way that's an unfair comparison.
Dora has known Faye for longer, for one. She also spends far more time with Faye than Marten does, and unlike Marten, Dora has been directly told by Faye that she wants to drink herself into oblivion. As far as we've seen, Marten has only observed Faye drinking earlier in the day than usual. Dora has far more information about the situation that Marten does. And, after catching Faye drinking on the job, (Which should come as no surprise after Faye said she wanted to be drunk on the job the day before, came in reeking of booze, happy, and had no hangover,) Dora didn't seem concerned or sympathetic in the slightest, just angry.

So yes, I hold Dora to a different standard then Marten, because Marten is far more ignorant of the situation and hasn't reacted with pure anger to his best friend hitting rock bottom.

YOU, are a small business owner.  You have recently promoted a long time friend to Assistant manager at her urging, because it will cut back on your workload.  Said friend had previously signed a contract with you stating that she would not drink at work, do drugs at work, or any other actions that might interfere with her ability to preform her assigned duties.

Said friend is now clearly in breach of contract.  You have a choice at this point.  Act like her friend, or act like her boss.  Previously, your other employees have expressed disapproval at the friend's promotion.  If you allow your friend to continue at work after a large breach of contract, what kind of message does it send?  What does it say to those employees who no doubt have their own problems, but continue to show up to work sober no matter the temptation to get shitfaced?

Also, we haven't seen Marten's reaction to this situation.  Remember when he had to deal with Dora's problems?  He reacted with anger and disgust at the end of his rope.  He's likely going to leave Faye by herself, or have to cancel his date with Claire to deal with Faye.  This is going to breed resentment.  Marten is zen yes, but human nature dictates that at some point he will snap and react in a similar manner to Dora if Faye doesn't straighten out.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #533 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:04 »

I highly doubt Faye signed a contract of any sort.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #534 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:07 »

Dora was a massive control freak and did everything by the book.  I'd be surprised if Faye didn't have some sort of contract.

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #535 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:16 »

Dora was a massive control freak and did everything by the book.  I'd be surprised if Faye didn't have some sort of contract.

If she didn't get a contract she I'm sure got the same talk Hanners and Cosette did when they were hired.  http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1720

In some states that might constitute a type of implied contract.
-It's tradition!

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #536 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:17 »

Also, we haven't seen Marten's reaction to this situation.  Remember when he had to deal with Dora's problems?  He reacted with anger and disgust at the end of his rope.  He's likely going to leave Faye by herself, or have to cancel his date with Claire to deal with Faye.  This is going to breed resentment.  Marten is zen yes, but human nature dictates that at some point he will snap and react in a similar manner to Dora if Faye doesn't straighten out.

The problems aren't remotely similar. Dora's problems affected him directly, and accused HIM of doing things wrong. Faye's problems do affect him (in that now she has no job and no way to make rent), but also the problems don't immediately have a "I have issues so I'm pissed with you now and you should apologize" interaction. Dora's problems basically caused her to be adversarial with Marten, that was DIRECTLY the problem. Faye's problems on the other hand, are just self-destructive, and can in periphery cause damage to Marten, but aren't really directed at him.

grez

• Plantmonster
« Reply #537 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:22 »

Call me crazy but I like Dora a bit more during this arc. Actually, ever since she started dating Tai (feels like ages ago) I think her character has been on a constant upswing. The one thing all the characters have struggled to develop is decisiveness and the ability to take responsibility for their actions - I feel Dora has made the most progress in this area of all the characters (newer characters like Claire or Emily excluded from this comparison, of course). The next big step, as others have mentioned, is for Dora not to backslide into guilt - whether with or without the effort of reflection - and self-incrimination. But I have a feeling that Jeph likes things twisty, so blah, I'm expecting some of the other characters to try and commandeer Dora into guilt over these events. Stay strong Dora!  :-\

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #538 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:22 »

Also, Faye and Dora started their relationship (as far as we know) as employee/employer. I doubt they were friends until Dora hired Faye to work at the shop.

They probably didn't know each other for very much longer than Faye knew Marten. Hadn't she just moved up to NorthHampton?

She also spends far more time with Faye than Marten does, and unlike Marten, Dora has been directly told by Faye that she wants to drink herself into oblivion. As far as we've seen, Marten has only observed Faye drinking earlier in the day than usual. Dora has far more information about the situation that Marten does.

Marten and Faye LIVE together. I would argue that they probably spend a comprable amount of time together as Faye and Dora spend together, taking into account that they (all three of them) work different shifts and are dating other people. Faye found a bottle in her bed, how many bottles are in the living room/around the house now? Marten has gotten different warnings signs than Dora had, but he still should have noticed something. He chose to not push the issue with Faye, just as Dora chose not to push the issue with Faye.

As far as I can tell, the only real difference between Marten and Doras interactions with Faye is that Marten didn't see Faye drinking/drunk at work. Its possible, even probable, that Marten and Dora just were not aware of how bad it was getting for Faye, and by the time Dora really realized how bad it was, it was too late. Dora had no choice but to fire her at that point.

I'm not saying that Marten should necessarily have done something, but if people are going to jump on Dora without jumping on Marten for being in a similar situation of "friendship responsibility" then yeah, I would say there is a double standard.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #539 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:31 »

Can we all just agree that, so far, Ben has made for a damned good prophet?

I say we deify him.
oh god

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #540 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:32 »

Anyone want to blame Pintsize for not noticing? He has watched her change clothes (#33), lives with her, has fewer distractions than Marten does, is in the apartment all day, and knows a little about how bad she's been feeling about Angus.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #541 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:33 »

Anyone want to blame Pintsize for not noticing? He has watched her change clothes (#33), lives with her, has fewer distractions than Marten does, is in the apartment all day, and knows a little about how bad she's been feeling about Angus.

Can't really blame a puppy for peeing on the floor before you've housebroken them.  Can't blame Pintsize for not showing empathy, because he doesn't have any.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #542 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:36 »

Yeah, I actually thought of including him in my argument, but I thought it would just weaken my point.

To be absolutely clear, I am not trying to blame anyone, Dora, Marten, or otherwise for not taking the right actions/noticing the right things with regard to Faye. I am just trying to point out that the people jumping all over Dora for "not helping Faye enough" are being a bit harsh. (or too lenient on Marten, I guess.)

grez

• Plantmonster
« Reply #543 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:39 »

Also, I can't help but wonder what Faye's next line would have been if Dora had simply stopped after the second panel.  :?

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #544 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:43 »

No speculation as to where the story line will go, but I have to say Jeph did an amazing job with the DFF (Dora Fury Face) in panel 2 of Thursday's strip.

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #545 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:44 »

Also, I can't help but wonder what Faye's next line would have been if Dora had simply stopped after the second panel.  :?

I'm assuming she would have tried to joke/charm her way back into Dora's good graces. That seems to be her m.o.  I don't think she would have lost her cool if she hadn't been directly told to confront her issues.
-It's tradition!

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #546 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:46 »

No speculation as to where the story line will go, but I have to say Jeph did an amazing job with the DFF (Dora Fury Face) in panel 2 of Thursday's strip.

I was just talking with someone about how that just might be the angriest face we've seen on Dora.
-It's tradition!

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #547 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:53 »

I'm baffled as to how anyone can not be giving Dora the benefit of the doubt here. In my view, it's reasonable, even desirable, to be friends with your employees, but you still have to be a hardass when shit hits the fan like this. Now, admittedly, I'm an aspie so this is something that'll probably come across as being very weird to some people, but you gotta do what's best for the situation, right?

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #548 on: 21 Jan 2015, 21:54 »

I have real problems with Faye's entitlement here. You "can't" fire me? Uh? Special snowflake much? You come into work plastered and you expect that to be cool?

And yet, I think this is an issue that goes back to Dora. She has issues asserting boundaries and then she doubles down and it's seen as irrational. I will always believe that Dora should have broken up with Marten when he balked at living with her without Faye. To me, it seemed clear that for Marten, Faye was always going to come first. I think Dora realized that subconsciously, but she didn't enforce boundaries, which set up the acrimonious breakup.

Here, as she says, she put up with Faye's blatant disrespect to other employees. Faye hazed Raven and was a shit to Penny. I've actually never really seen her interact much at all with Cosette, and she's Hanners' friend and is sort of *shrug* about Dale. Dora should have shut her down back when it was just her, Raven and Faye and Faye acted like a shit to Raven continuously. Dora allowed Faye to feel untouchable and now she's reaping the whirlwind.

I want Faye to stay gone from CoD. I don't wish her ill and I do hope she takes someone's advice to get help. Angus doesn't want her anymore. She's lost her job. Marten is in a budding relationship with someone else. Sven is ... Sven. Faye has basically hit bottom and it's up to her - not Dora, not Marten, not Hannelore - to pull herself out. I hope she does. But I don't want her back at CoD, and to be frank, I don't want her and Dora to interact after this.

I do think Jeph is setting this up to phase Dora out of the comic, at which point I'll bid the comic adieu. His choice, of course, but QC without Dora being a large part of it won't work for me. However,  if he is putting Dora on a metaphorical bus to ensure that she has washed her hands of Faye's toxicity for once and all, I'll approve. I won't continue to read, but I'll approve.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #549 on: 21 Jan 2015, 22:07 »

Thank FSM she doesn't have a car.
No kidding.  I once sent someone home for showing up to work completely drunk and who spent the first hour of her shift vomiting in the toilet.  I had no authority to fire her, and the boss didn't decide to do so.  About an hour after that, my remaining co-worker and I realised in horror that she always *drove* to work, and despite trying to do the right thing, let someone who was completely smashed behind the wheel of a car. 

In retrospect, it'd have been better to let her sleep it off on the sofas, at least until the owner came in, that is.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Up