THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Justified  (Read 2012 times)

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
Justified
« on: 22 Jan 2015, 17:24 »

If you aren't watching this series, go do it now. I became absolutely hooked after only hearing about it for the first time a few months ago, and so I can't believe this is already the last season.

It has some of the best character writing I've ever seen on television. I was initially worried that the show's setting, combined with popular media's less than stellar record of depictions of Appalachian people, that the series would be composed entirely of stereotypes, but that is actually very much not the case.

It is the first popular movie or TV show I've seen where Appalachians portrayed as compelling, interesting characters, even though most of them (aside from the protagonist) are criminals. And I really haven't experienced a show that will make you care about the "bad guys" this much. Many of the series' plots cover the most important issues affecting the people of the Appalachian region, such as surface mining, government corruption, and drug use. They also tell pieces of Appalachia's often unknown history such as the stories of heroic strikers and black communities that have existed since before the civil war.

But if you don't care about all that "positive portrayal of Appalachians" stuff like I do, really do watch it for the characters. They are some of the most engrossing, multilayered characters ever created for television. Season 5 was a bit of a hiccup in some spots, but the premiere of this season (which I am going to spoil below for those who haven't seen it) definitely shows that the last one will be a very memorable one.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2015, 05:34 by 94ssd »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Re: Justified
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2015, 00:06 »

Spoiler tag is broken.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2015, 05:35 »

SHIT, it worked in the preview.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2015, 15:44 »

I love Justified, one of my buddies from the military is actually from Harlan.

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up