THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 22:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Man in the High Castle  (Read 1988 times)

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
The Man in the High Castle
« on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:14 »

In case you've missed it, Amazon is making a TV series out of Philip K. Dick's Hugo-winning novel The Man in the High Castle. And it's bloody amazing.

The premise is that the US lost WW2 and was carved up into occupation zones, Germany getting everything east of the Rockies, Japan getting the West Coast, and the Rocky Mountains themselves being a semi-lawless neutral zone. It's now 1962, and naturally there's a resistance movement. And there's this fascinating newsreel that implies that everything may not be exactly as it seems.

The cool part is how real this world is made to look and feel. To be honest, I was hooked before the opening credits were over.

Oh, and did I mention that Ridley Scott is executive producer?

So far only the pilot episode is out, and this being Amazon, only a few of their "pilot season" series will get picked up. But just about every review I've read has said that this is by far the best of Amazon's new pilots and is likely to get a full season. So check it out - it's worth your time.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
Re: The Man in the High Castle
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2015, 15:03 »

I'm unsure if Ridley Scott is a surefire stamp of good anymore :]
I dunno..

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2015, 15:12 »

Given that Scott has previous with Dick's often-strange stories (turning the semi-impenetrable 'Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep' into a brilliant bit ot Sci-Noir in 'Blade Runner'), I have high hopes here. 'High Tower' is a strange, thought-provoking story that really only makes any kind of sense at the very end but has to be read all the way through for the ending to actually succeed in making it understandable.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2015, 16:21 »

Given that Scott has previous with Dick's often-strange stories (turning the semi-impenetrable 'Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep' into a brilliant bit ot Sci-Noir in 'Blade Runner'
But then fucking it up in the Director's Cut with his "Deckard is a replicant" thing... But at least he's less crass than George Lucas.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2015, 17:11 »

I find the choice of medium unfortunate. Amazon video is by far the most expensive streaming service, although I am not much of an online shopper so I don't include the additional benefits of Amazon Prime in that statement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up