THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 01:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dale's Glasses  (Read 9362 times)

Oilman

• Obscure cultural reference
Re: Dale's Glasses
« Reply #50 on: 27 Jan 2015, 23:00 »

Google glass struck me as plain creepy. I know someone who had a pair, and quite a lot if people avoided him because if them, or wouldn't speak to him. There's obviously a line crossed somewhere there.

Ive taken part in speakerphone conferences, and video conferences and there is a definite etiquette relating to introducing who is included, and what you do or don't say online.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #51 on: 28 Jan 2015, 00:12 »

Oh indeed; and the awareness and etiquette will develop for glasses just as it has for those things, and for mobile phones.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #52 on: 28 Jan 2015, 00:18 »

Though I'd argue there's still tons of people who have no etiquette whatsoever when it comes to cellphones  :psyduck:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #53 on: 28 Jan 2015, 01:24 »

I don't deny that, too (I was thinking it as I typed!).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #54 on: 28 Jan 2015, 02:57 »

Though I'd argue there's still tons of people who have no etiquette whatsoever when it comes to cellphones  :psyduck:
*shudder* Too true.  I was rather annoyed that my last job required me to serve customers who were on the phone, since my previous one let me just ignored them until they got off the damned phone and actually acknowledge me.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Oilman

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #55 on: 28 Jan 2015, 03:15 »

It's increasingly common here to see signs stating that staff will not serve customers who are on the phone.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #56 on: 28 Jan 2015, 15:05 »

I use a Bluetooth Earpiece on my Mobile, but I'm polite enough not to start talking to someone in a shop situation if I'm on the phone. 
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #57 on: 28 Jan 2015, 15:14 »

It's increasingly common here to see signs stating that staff will not serve customers who are on the phone.

Dale is probably polite about that, having been on both sides of the counter himself.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #58 on: 28 Jan 2015, 15:19 »

Know what you mean.  Which is why I'm polite enough NOT to yammer on the Phone at the counter if I can help it.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #59 on: 30 Jan 2015, 02:21 »

I'm getting the distinct feeling that no one's reading anything I write, and I'm just talking to myself.
Welcome to online forums.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #60 on: 30 Jan 2015, 03:10 »

I heartily endorse this practise.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #61 on: 30 Jan 2015, 09:42 »

See, this, this is why we need some sort of up-vote button - even if the results are only seen by the moderators.

As for the cellphone [expletive diatribe deleted], I am seriously considering putting in the time and effort to build an EMP device tuned to either Bluetooth or the common audio amps used in cellphones.
Sort of like a whip crack that only phone users can hear .... once. :evil:

Why yes, I am wee bit cranky today.  :roll:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #62 on: 01 Feb 2015, 19:10 »

As for the cellphone [expletive diatribe deleted], I am seriously considering putting in the time and effort to build an EMP device tuned to either Bluetooth or the common audio amps used in cellphones.
Sort of like a whip crack that only phone users can hear .... once. :evil:

Why yes, I am wee bit cranky today.  :roll:

How 'bout a device that forces all phones off, like a TV-B-Gone
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #63 on: 02 Feb 2015, 01:12 »

I can't imagine interacting with shop-assistants or wait-staff while on the phone. They are people, not vending machines or appliances, and one should be polite.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #64 on: 02 Feb 2015, 06:59 »

I can't imagine interacting with shop-assistants or wait-staff while on the phone. They are people, not vending machines or appliances, and one should be polite.

Sadly, an all to fading attitude among shoppers, at least in the US. But then I imagine most of the people who act like that never worked a service job before, or were incredibly self centered and were/are terrible at it when they do work one. You know, the clerk who ignores you when you try to ask a question, talking to a co-worker/on their phone and acting like you are the rude person for interrupting them to ask them to do their job...

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #65 on: 02 Feb 2015, 08:11 »

One anecdote that has me shaking my head years later, when I happen to think of it:
I'm in line at a fast-foodery in my tourist town. In line ahead of me is a ... lady ... whose family is at the fast-foodery next door. She's on her phone with them. As she gets to the head of the line, she's telling them what she wants from the other place. A conversation she continues as she reaches the head of the line and makes the counter girl wait while she recites her order for the other place. Then places the other family member's order. Realize some forumites disapprove of the Gibbs slap, but it would have been in order that day.
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2015, 08:18 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up