Poll

Fayepocalypse! What Next?

The hospital waiting room?
- 50 (33.3%)
Faye on a trip down Deriver Denial?
- 26 (17.3%)
Emergency Cast Meeting?
- 45 (30%)
The police station, charged with the assault (or even murder) of Pintsize?
- 9 (6%)
Weird archetype-filled dream sequence for Faye in which she sees her life as a strange Pyroland-like fantasy and is Elightened?
- 20 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2882-2886 (26-30 January 2015)  (Read 136797 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
WCDT: 2882-2886 (26-30 January 2015)
« on: 25 Jan 2015, 00:54 »

So, the Fayepocalypse is upon us! What will the next week bring us? I'm sure that we all have our opinions and our own ideas of how we would continue this story thread but how would Jeph, with his mindset do it?

Personally, I'm torn between two options:
  • Faye is hospitalised and everyone has to address their feelings as they wait for the doctor to tell them her condition;
  • After bringing Faye home from the ER (after having her stomach pumped or some kind of detox treatment applied) Marten calls a 'Friends of Faye' crisis meeting at which blame is liberally shared around and the wider picture of her emotional condition emerges.
Either way, I'm hoping for a filler strip where Marigold reboots Pintsize and finds that, for some reason, his 'language' setting is stuck on 'English (Canada)' and he now speaks with a hideous faux French accent.

Thoughts, comments and criticism all welcome. Please contact a board admin if you need a soapbox to stand on.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

ybtlamw

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT: 2882-2886 (26-30 January 2015)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2015, 01:34 »

This is such a huge, important arc for this comic.

I don't think there's going to be a suicide attempt, as I've seen you suggest in a couple posts I've seen you make since I started posting on the boards; but I do think Faye's going to end up doing something self-destructive at some point—and I think that's going to be running to Sven to get back at Dora.

Channelore HellicottAtham

• Plantmonster
  • OH GOD THERE IS A HAND INSIDE ME AAAAAAAAAUGH
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2015, 02:38 »

This is such a huge, important arc for this comic.

I don't think there's going to be a suicide attempt, as I've seen you suggest in a couple posts I've seen you make since I started posting on the boards; but I do think Faye's going to end up doing something self-destructive at some point—and I think that's going to be running to Sven to get back at Dora.

Ooh. Now I hadn't thought at all of Faye running to Sven, but gosh that would be such an interesting way to finally tie in that pesky hanging loose end from awhile back..! :psyduck:

It actually seems increasingly plausible the more I think about it. And rather clever on Jeph's part! Much plan ahead. Many aha moment.

Unrelated aha/huh moment: This:psyduck: - is a duck??! I thought it was some kind of Freaking Out Homer Simpson Monkey-Bear! 
:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2015, 04:09 »

You're clearly either too young or too old for Pokemon. 

Meet Psyduck
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2015, 04:11 »

Jeph does apparently come up with storylines far in advance. He could very well have been planning this since Marten's dad's wedding.

I would expect this week to be the intervention Faye needs. Again, getting Angus in on this, if he hasn't already left for NY, would not be an underhanded move if it were to smack some sense into her.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2015, 04:20 »

I think Angus is gone. 

Gone, gone.  He just turned and walked away when she stomped his heart by not wanting to work even try to work it out.  There may be a short arc involving Marten or someone trying to get him to care, but it's not going to work - his view will be that she's too toxic. 

And that his presence wouldn't help, only open fresh wounds.  For both of them. 

Remember, Angus makes rash decisions (like pursuing Faye) and then sticks with them to an absurd extent

It's almost comedic, really.  Or, in this case, tragic. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2015, 05:05 »

You're clearly either too young or too old for Pokemon. 

Meet Psyduck.

Too... too... young for...Poke'mon?

...fuck me, it's 0605 and GM needs a drink.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

KevxD

• Emoticontraindication
  • n00b
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2015, 05:36 »

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't end up in the hospital, but instead Marten cleans Faye up and looks after her, she wakes up with a killer hangover and Marten tries to piece together what happened and try and convince Faye to go get help.
The skyline was beautiful on fire, all twisted metal stretching upwards, everything washed in a thin orange haze
I said: "Kiss me, you're beautiful - these are truly the last days"
You grabbed my hand and we fell into it, like a daydream or a fever

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2015, 09:18 »

All I want, no matter what happens, is Claire to come over and give moral support to Marten.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2015, 10:28 »

Would it be surprising if Claire came over, helped with the clean up, didn't bat an eye - and then explained to Marten that she had to help mom do this with her (philandering) dad frequently when she was growing up?

...It would explain somethings, personally.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

emilygrrl

• Plantmonster
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2015, 11:33 »

Would it be surprising if Claire came over, helped with the clean up, didn't bat an eye - and then explained to Marten that she had to help mom do this with her (philandering) dad frequently when she was growing up?

...It would explain somethings, personally.

It seems to me that Claire would find it triggering (bringing up old, unpleasant memories) and refuse to do so. Perhaps it would become a source of tension between Claire and Marten, or perhaps in good ol' Martin fashion, be totally understanding toward Claire and profusely apologize.
Quote from: Faye, strip 1462
Aww, it's been FOREVER since I've had to punch you! What a delightful wave of nostalgia!

KevxD

• Emoticontraindication
  • n00b
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2015, 11:45 »

I'm not sure Marten will invite/allow Claire over to help, as he won't want to embarrass Faye by letting Claire see her in such a state.

Indeed he mightn't even explain why he had to cut off the date properly for the above reason, which would certainly cause problems.
The skyline was beautiful on fire, all twisted metal stretching upwards, everything washed in a thin orange haze
I said: "Kiss me, you're beautiful - these are truly the last days"
You grabbed my hand and we fell into it, like a daydream or a fever

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2015, 12:38 »

Claire has certainly established (Jeph has established for her) a pattern of reacting negatively initially, then backing off as she understands the situation a little better. I'm still voting for empathy on her part, in the long run.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2015, 13:20 »

I'm not sure Marten will invite/allow Claire over to help, as he won't want to embarrass Faye by letting Claire see her in such a state.

Indeed he mightn't even explain why he had to cut off the date properly for the above reason, which would certainly cause problems.

Covering for her would be a form of enabling.  I think Marten knows better than to do that. 

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2015, 13:41 »

Not covering for her would be kind of a dick move at this point.

EVERYTHING we have seen up to now suggests that no one noticed Faye's slide into the bottle (Keep in mind, it's be less than a week!)

Marten has barely enough actual info to put it together. All he really knows for sure is that something probably upset Faye to an extreme degree (thus Pintsize's status) and she drank herself out because of it.

He doesn't know her reasons. to go broadcasting it to everyone he knows would be pretty disrespectful of her privacy. (This is the kind of issue that comes up when you are rooming with someone.)

All that said, people often do step over the line out of anger or exasperation. I could see Marten telling Claire because he (reasonably) feels put upon by the mess. But Enabling? To be doing that, he'd have to know what the problem is, and frankly there's little evidence that the problem is what everyone in these forums thinks it is.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2015, 13:46 »

Marten probably won't know what Faye has actually come to until Dora calls and tells him what happened. Something on the lines of:

DORA: "Hey Marten. I just call because Faye will be home early today, because she's drunk and I fired her"
MARTEN (cutting whenever necessary): "She's passed out on her vomit in my couch".
BOTH: "F**********************************************************"
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jan 2015, 13:58 »

I think next week's gonna be a bumpy ride for all concerned
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2015, 14:17 »

Wait. He does know what's going on. He knows about her and Angus breaking up - and that she's doubting herself over it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jan 2015, 14:28 »

He know's what's going on, but not the extent of her booze consumption. That's what I meant.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jan 2015, 14:35 »

I meant more like in a "Faye goes to the hospital and Marten and Claire spend the evening in the waiting room" way. Not in a "Claire helping Marten to clean up the vomit" way.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jan 2015, 14:37 »

He know's what's going on, but not the extent of her booze consumption. That's what I meant.

Exactly. He's not in position to judge whether the situation demands violating Faye's privacy for the greater good.

bears!

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2015, 14:52 »

Claire has certainly established (Jeph has established for her) a pattern of reacting negatively initially, then backing off as she understands the situation a little better. I'm still voting for empathy on her part, in the long run.

I am too. I think (hope!) this plotline may establish Claire as the best/most stable relationship that Marten's ever been in.

(Also, my obsession with this plotline caused me to dust off my rarely used forum account. HAYYYY GUYYYYS NICE TO MEET YOU.  :parrot: (OMG IS THAT PARROT A KAKAPO.))

DillyDolly

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2015, 15:15 »

Totally I am slow (aside from calling Goldilocks Red Riding Hood). Of course Faye's going to the hospital. Just realized 2878 totally alluded to it by its title. Wondering if this means that Dora will feel super guilty and hire Faye back (with contingencies)? I don't remember Faye being in trouble at CoD before this so it would kind of make sense for Dora to offer her the job back if Faye agrees to some kind of therapy or rehab. Maybe not a smart business move, but totally human—especially if you became friends with your employee and they've done a decent job up to that point.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jan 2015, 15:17 »

I predict Hanners will buy Marten a new sofa.  Because there's no way she's sitting on that couch now.

Warning - while you were contemplating new furniture, your bank account started to cry.  You may wish to reconsider your life choices and get a better paying job.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

DillyDolly

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #24 on: 25 Jan 2015, 15:20 »

I predict Hanners will buy Marten a new sofa.  Because there's no way she's sitting on that couch now.

Warning - while you were contemplating new furniture, your bank account started to cry.  You may wish to reconsider your life choices and get a better paying job.

$10 on Hanners taking a flamethrower to the old couch.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #25 on: 25 Jan 2015, 15:33 »

Hmm, having checked Jeph's Twitter feed, it seems that with his computer woes, we may have a higher than normal chance of a late or filler comic.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jan 2015, 15:49 »

It's a hinge, not the actual computery things inside. He's using duct tape on it. All the same, he'll want a new one soon.
Mistakes, ahoy!

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #27 on: 25 Jan 2015, 15:51 »

To be completely honest, I hope there are repercussions such as Faye needing to go to the hospital and all that - yes, in-comic a solution for being passed-out drunk was always having friends watch over you (or not even that.. just washing your jeans and putting you into bed), and that would be enough. In real life, that can and will be deadly (as mentioned in the previous thread) and I hope Marten sets a better example than the last comic; even if you're cautious about calling emergency services because you don't want to put your friend in debt, checking if they breathe/can be raised/have a pulse isn't that expensive...

On Claire: can't say. Could be that that would be something to trigger her anxieties or provoke some mean comments (like, 'So, is Faye stupid or something? Doesn't she know when to stop?)

On enabling Faye by not telling: Well... as others have pointed out, it's been less than a week, comic-time. It's been a few days at most, and while Faye does tend dissolve her problems in ethanol, it's very much a dick move to tell virtual strangers that. Enabling would be helping her hide it from her therapist or her closest friends.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jan 2015, 15:56 »

... and while Faye does tend dissolve her problems in ethanol...
The solvent that solves nothing. (Why must I pun?)
Mistakes, ahoy!

ASB84

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jan 2015, 16:01 »

I don't think that Marten needs to reveal the extent of the situation to Claire, nor the entire backstory. Simply explaining the situation as it stands - Faye's had a lot to drink, passed out and thrown up, and could be in danger - should suffice as far as a reason for cancelling their date. Marten owes Faye confidentiality, but he also owes Claire honesty.

As for Dora, I'm sure she'll feel some amount of guilt (perhaps diluted a little by her anger at Faye), and that's a perfectly human reaction. However, there's really no way that she or anyone else can reasonably blame her for this. Firing Faye didn't make her want to drink herself into oblivion; she was going to do that anyway. Had she not been caught, it's a safe bet to say she was going to go home and keep drinking heavily.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #30 on: 25 Jan 2015, 16:34 »

Marten really doesn't need to say much more than "I gotta get Faye to a doctor. I'll be able to tell you more later," with "more" mutually understood to be defined as "additional information as I learn it, coupled with a respect for Faye's privacy." With which Claire can empathize, having already learned she can rely on it from Marten.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #31 on: 25 Jan 2015, 16:53 »

I think DSL has it right.  Marten doesn't really get up in people's business, and he doesn't really gossip.  Dunno how Claire will react, but if she does react badly, it won't be for long.  From what we know of her, she readily accepts when she's wrong about a situation (i.e. the homewrecker comment). Claire is cool like that. 

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #32 on: 25 Jan 2015, 16:58 »

Marten doesn't really get up in people's business, and he doesn't really gossip. 

Eh, he did talk about Faye and his past to Claire and the reason they didn't work out would be pretty personal.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #33 on: 25 Jan 2015, 18:15 »

I think maybe I'm refreshing too often.  My computer doesn't want to speak to me any more.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #34 on: 25 Jan 2015, 18:46 »

At what point does a person consuming mass quantities of alcohol require medical attention?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #35 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:00 »

Depends on body mass, acquired tolerance, genetics, time spent between drinks, use of other drugs, conditions of one's liver, et cetera.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Meilu

• Plantmonster
« Reply #36 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:02 »

Faye wakes up next to Bob Newhart, says "I just had the strangest dream..." explains it all to him, then says "you really need a Teh shirt."

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #37 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:03 »

At what point does a person consuming mass quantities of alcohol require medical attention?
Personally, I'd say if they're passed out, you can't get them to wake up, and/or their breathing's irregular. It's really a judgement call.

Rusty

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #38 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:07 »

This point would be well within the medical attention range, I believe. 

Back when i worked at a college, I had to call EMS a few times for students who were at the point of incoherence, vomiting, and unconsciousness.  So I wouldnt be surprised if the next scene has a paramedic or is in an emergency room.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #39 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:09 »

WHAT. THE. SERIOUS. F***.

Edit: Er, comic's up.

tut21

• Plantmonster
« Reply #40 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:13 »

Well, I'm glad Faye's alive, at least.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #41 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:14 »

Well...Hmm.  It's amazing just how much can be conveyed without any dialogue and those last two panels sent chills up my spine. 
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #42 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:14 »

Prediction for this week: Faye wakes up, shrugs off Marten's concerns, possibly even snapping at him. She paints Dora in a negative light and goes to look for another job aka goes to the nearest dive. During the week, Faye drinks some more and possibly decks someone. Faye either ends up arrested or in hospital to pump her stomach.

Meanwhile everyone remains confused about Faye because they continue that QC tradition of maintaining absolutely serious communication.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.
« Reply #43 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:16 »

Is there any narrative universe in which trailing-off beeps in a hospital setting doesn't mean death?

Holy. Shit. This comic.

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #44 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:17 »

I sure hope those beeps fading to black are just Faye losing consciousness for an extended period of time.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #45 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:17 »

Well, today's comic is fuggin depressing.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #46 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:17 »

The beeping death is Marten after taking that punch.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #47 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:18 »

Is there any narrative universe in which trailing-off beeps in a hospital setting doesn't mean death?

Holy. Shit. This comic.

I'm just hoping that signifies her losing consciousness.  A death may have an extended BEEEEEEEEEP before fading to black.  At least, that what my head is telling me to stay slightly hopeful.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Rusty

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #48 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:19 »

Damn, this is depressing...

So I wouldnt be surprised if the next scene has a paramedic or is in an emergency room.

Also, Damn Im good.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #49 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:20 »

I sure hope those beeps fading to black are just Faye losing consciousness for an extended period of time.
Considering the title is "Close to Home", which suggests there's some autobiographical element to it, and the fact that Jeph isn't dead, I'm going to guess that they are.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your choices in life.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Up