Poll

Fayepocalypse! What Next?

The hospital waiting room?
- 50 (33.3%)
Faye on a trip down Deriver Denial?
- 26 (17.3%)
Emergency Cast Meeting?
- 45 (30%)
The police station, charged with the assault (or even murder) of Pintsize?
- 9 (6%)
Weird archetype-filled dream sequence for Faye in which she sees her life as a strange Pyroland-like fantasy and is Elightened?
- 20 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2882-2886 (26-30 January 2015)  (Read 140076 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT: 2882-2886 (26-30 January 2015)
« Reply #400 on: 26 Jan 2015, 22:16 »

Nice artistic touch to have Marten asking the question on our behalf.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #401 on: 26 Jan 2015, 22:22 »

Good Guy Marten.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #402 on: 26 Jan 2015, 22:23 »

Is there any other kind of Marten?

Smallest

• Curry sauce
« Reply #403 on: 26 Jan 2015, 22:23 »

I can't really see how FAYE can stay in Northampton. She has no income, for one thing, and Marten can't afford to carry her financially.

She has no INCOME, that doesn't mean she has no savings. If she's been smart, she should have 2-3 months rent socked away. She should be able to find a job in that time. If she's smart she will go to that gallery and see if she can get any commissions.
Also, unless you're assuming that both Faye's mom is fine with supporting her financially and that Faye is okay with being supported financially by someone else (and wants to), there's no more reason for her to be in Georgia than here. The only people she was interested in visiting or talking to or has even mentioned since then (other than, in passing, exes and whatnot) are her mom and sister. In Northhampton, there's Marten and the rest of the gang, even if the others are admittedly less close with her, and her friendship with Dora may be salvaged.

She can go back to Georgia and it wouldn't be too weird of her, but it's not really got any more going for it than where she is now.

Barista?  Faye's an accomplished welder.  Even if she doesn't want to make a career of it, it pays a lot better.
She'd need to be certified. Maybe join a union too. If she needs money NOW, it'll be a better bet to do what she's already been doing. She could probably even guilt Dora into giving a recommendation.

Also, welding while drunk is a lot more dangerous than barista-ing while drunk.

Anyway, the point is she has options for income. She's not disabled.
In Canada and I assume other places possibly including Northhampton, you can weld without certs. You just can't do any structural welding (which may be based on your workplace and insurance rather than law, I'm not sure).
(also, she might have gotten some bare minimum certification when she learned to weld anyway)

Edit- although I originally was just making that comment in passing, that actually could be a good fit for Faye. Still not a career she'll be tied down by (something most of the forum agrees she doesn't want or at least doesn't care about preceding/during her breakup with Angus), and as Dr Corrine wanted, most welding shops she'd be getting exercise, and without having to think about it much or be bored or anything as she may at the gym. As well as being a different outlet for stress, she'd be able to work out her physical anger stuff (eg the used-to-be-normal punching) in a productive way.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2015, 22:29 by Smallest »

Oilman

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #404 on: 26 Jan 2015, 22:36 »

Faye is short of options right now and needs to make a move of some sort. Actually I'd say she is quite tough-minded and a challenge might be good for her.

Depends what sort of welding you are aiming to do. Welding exhaust boxes, panel repairs in a body shop, no problem. Usually just a test piece. Art, no issues. Didn't Dora already get her one commission she never fulfilled?

Most Oilpatch welders arrive as general hands, usually working with the motorman; start doing non-critical stuff like water pump pick-ups (there is aLOT of that kind if thing), start hassling for a chance to do a Trial Piece

Don't know how the union thing would work, she would need to be employed, because insurance of various sorts.

NemoX

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lonely nobody
« Reply #405 on: 26 Jan 2015, 23:00 »

Looks like we have another record breaking thread in the making. Speculations aside, I just wanna know who the hell punched Marten, let alone how he avoided a bruise or black eye :S
"Wit is educated insolence" - Aristotle

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #406 on: 26 Jan 2015, 23:05 »

Looks like we have another record breaking thread in the making. Speculations aside, I just wanna know who the hell punched Marten, let alone how he avoided a bruise or black eye :S
Well, it looks like it was Faye who hit Marten, and he doesn't have any bruises because she was to weak to actually seriously injure him. His reaction is probably mostly a surprise that she moved at all.

And, yeah, 9 pages, and it's barely Tuesday. Though I'm guessing things will calm down once tomorrow's comic is posted. Especially if it's a filler because Jeph is out of power.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #407 on: 26 Jan 2015, 23:17 »

Well, it looks like it was Faye who hit Marten, and he doesn't have any bruises because she was to weak to actually seriously injure him. His reaction is probably mostly a surprise that she moved at all.

And, yeah, 9 pages, and it's barely Tuesday. Though I'm guessing things will calm down once tomorrow's comic is posted. Especially if it's a filler because Jeph is out of power.

No. That's when the hysteria begins.

If Jeph is off line, by Wednesday, we'll be eating each other.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #408 on: 26 Jan 2015, 23:18 »

Marten offers to stay by her bedside and asks a question that makes it clear that he understands her recovery is contingent on more than the mere physical recovery from this one incident.

Commenters decide that he isn't her friend and has no idea what alcoholism is.

I don't understand this place sometimes.

If Marten understood 1. that Faye is an alcoholic and 2. what alcoholism is, he wouldn't be pestering medical staff to answer if Faye would be OK. He'd know that they have no control over it, and that recovery necessarily has to start with Faye herself.

Put another way, Marten obviously thinks Faye's issues are all or mostly medical. They aren't. As he's going to find out in the coming days.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #409 on: 26 Jan 2015, 23:33 »

I can't really see how FAYE can stay in Northampton. She has no income, for one thing, and Marten can't afford to carry her financially.

She has no INCOME, that doesn't mean she has no savings. If she's been smart, she should have 2-3 months rent socked away. She should be able to find a job in that time. If she's smart she will go to that gallery and see if she can get any commissions.
Man these US american problems are so weird to us europeans.

Do you really not have any form of general unemployment insurance over there in the USA ?!?
Carpe Diem

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #410 on: 26 Jan 2015, 23:35 »

I expect they're going to lock her up after this, and this nurse knows that.

(I'm roughly 99.99% certain it was Faye who punched Marten.  I mean, what, was one of the nurses going to punch him?)

(Heh... it just hit me that I've actually been locked up in the hospital they'd most likely be in.  And after a relative finished burning out his liver this week.  Brr.)
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #411 on: 26 Jan 2015, 23:35 »

I'm sure Fayemom will get on the next plane to Boston.  Her being the third person Marten would call (after Claire and 911), but before Hannelore (what with the couch) and Dr. Corrine.
Fayemom is scared of the Godless North and the frozen wastes where Faye lives, so I guess she is too afraid to come. However, I guess Marten will call her and promise to take good care of Faye.

I have mixed feelings for anyone else showing up at the hospital. I would prefer that Marten is alone with Faye when she finally wakes up, so they can have a Moment and a Talk together. But it is possible that Hanners will be there too. Dora should stay away.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #412 on: 26 Jan 2015, 23:37 »

So... anyone know what sacrifices Juno is partial to?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #413 on: 26 Jan 2015, 23:39 »

Do you really not have any form of general unemployment insurance over there in the USA ?!?
Limited unemployment insurance, determined by how much you paid in while working for your employer. Part-time employees, however, can't draw unemployment, or at least they can't in MI. It's also only a fraction of what a normal paycheck would be.

A lot of people are also terrible at saving money. I am one such person.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #414 on: 26 Jan 2015, 23:39 »

I can understand the doctor's confusion. Marten and Faye do have a remarkably close bond. Dora noticed it and was never really able to understand or tolerate it. It will be interesting to see how Claire, with her own abandonment issues, responds to it. FWIW, the closest parallel that I can think of is a sibling bond. They love each other but it isn't romantic in any way anymore.

Yes, Marten is close to the truth: Just because Faye will recover doesn't mean that she is going to be okay. That journey will be longer, harder and full of difficult truths for everyone. Faye in particular is going to need the help of all her friends if she is to face the world without a crutch.

Yes, but it is subsistence-level only and only lasts for a few months at best. After that, you are considered willfully destitute and treated accordingly.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #415 on: 26 Jan 2015, 23:58 »

(I'm roughly 99.99% certain it was Faye who punched Marten.  I mean, what, was one of the nurses going to punch him?)
The only other reasonable explanation would have been that Clinton appeared out of nowhere to punch Marten for not showing up to the date with Claire. And since today's comic show that he (or anybody else) is not around, the only remaining explanation is Faye.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

stephber

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #416 on: 27 Jan 2015, 00:09 »

She has no INCOME, that doesn't mean she has no savings. If she's been smart, she should have 2-3 months rent socked away.

Hopefully Faye did have those 2-3 months of emergency money remaining. How else she going to pay the hospital / psych bill? (If she has medical insurance through CoD, that's gone now).

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #417 on: 27 Jan 2015, 00:19 »

It occurs to me that Faye may have medical insurance paid through some deal with her Dad's life insurer. All she needs to do is prove that it is associated with his suicide to get it paid.
~~~~

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #418 on: 27 Jan 2015, 00:23 »

Headcannon accepted.  Headcannon accepted so hard.

Are you Faye's dad?

While we're on the subject, can we agree to stab out the eyes of anyone who ever again uses a portmanteau to describe a couple, be it real or fictional?  It's a really obnoxious thing.  As one of the X-Idol contestants inevitably dubbed Jedward put it, 'Is it really so hard to say "ohn and"?'
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Oilman

« Reply #419 on: 27 Jan 2015, 00:39 »

Hasn't Dora referred to employee benefits before now? Or was that just a gag?

As a side issue, speaking as a Brit with a working knowledge of the U.S. and exoerience of working for American companies, the ramifications of differing insurance, health and benefit laws affect EVERYTHING. I much prefer working for Canadian companies, because the cultures are much closer

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #420 on: 27 Jan 2015, 00:48 »

Headcannon accepted.  Headcannon accepted so hard.

Are you Faye's dad?

While we're on the subject, can we agree to stab out the eyes of anyone who ever again uses a portmanteau to describe a couple, be it real or fictional?  It's a really obnoxious thing.  As one of the X-Idol contestants inevitably dubbed Jedward put it, 'Is it really so hard to say "ohn and"?'

After deep consideration, I've come to the conclusion...

Nope. Not gonna happen.

Bendal

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #421 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:03 »

Marten offers to stay by her bedside and asks a question that makes it clear that he understands her recovery is contingent on more than the mere physical recovery from this one incident.

Commenters decide that he isn't her friend and has no idea what alcoholism is.

I don't understand this place sometimes.

Actually, I'm thinking that Marten is "hoping" Faye will be OK and he wants the doctor to reassure him. I'd like to think that he's bright enough to realize you don't pass out in your own drunken vomit, slug one of your friends, and become totally unresponsive and will 'just be ok' once you sober up. If he didn't know before that Faye has a drinking problem, he'd better know it now.
If Marten understood 1. that Faye is an alcoholic and 2. what alcoholism is, he wouldn't be pestering medical staff to answer if Faye would be OK. He'd know that they have no control over it, and that recovery necessarily has to start with Faye herself.

Put another way, Marten obviously thinks Faye's issues are all or mostly medical. They aren't. As he's going to find out in the coming days.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #422 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:12 »

The real problem is Marten obviously doesn't get what alcoholism is, and so all his decent impulses are just going to turn him into an enabler.

Given his "meh" attitude with his mom drunk at the bar during the wedding arc and his own little 'touchy feely' drunk fest with Faye that ended up her punching him cold, I don't think he's had anything dealing with rampant alcoholism in QC.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #423 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:16 »

I suspect that the nice young lady doctor will at least partly educate Marten on the subject whilst getting more information on the patient's background and history with alcohol. It will be interesting to see if Marten accepts what she tells him or chooses the route of denial (a comprehensible but dangerous response to being told that someone you love is an addict).
~~~~

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #424 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:33 »

I disagree. 'Claireten' is a good shorthand for "Claire and Marten' when addressing them as a couple (but of course not as individuals). The ship allegory (S/S Claireten is ready to sail) is also cute, just don't overdo it.

Some portmanteaus may give bad vibes, and should be avoided. The (now shipwrecked) S/S Mardor sounds too similar to 'Mordor'.

Now, I should watch my eyes. Jedit may want to stab them.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #425 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:37 »

Some portmanteaus may give bad vibes, and should be avoided. The (now shipwrecked) S/S Mardor sounds too similar to 'Mordor'.

Now, I should watch my eyes. Jedit may want to stab them.

Should that not be "Mara?"

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #426 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:44 »

I disagree. 'Claireten' is a good shorthand for "Claire and Marten' when addressing them as a couple (but of course not as individuals). The ship allegory (S/S Claireten is ready to sail) is also cute, just don't overdo it.

Claireten doesn't bother me, but it makes me think of allergy medications.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #427 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:50 »

Should that not be "Mara?"
I was not active in the forum when that ship still sailed, so I do not know what term (if any) was used. 'Mara' sounds nice, though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #428 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:52 »

I have expressed my disapproval of portmanteaus at some length - not least, in the "Conduct in this forum" thread stickied at the top.  At present the associated behaviour that led to this viewpoint is not a problem, but I remain suspicious of a shortcut that obscures the individual identities involved.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

wdfarmer

• Not quite a lurker
    • Personal web page
« Reply #429 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:54 »

It can vary state to state, but generally, if you were laid off (the employer needed to reduce staff to make ends meet), then yes, you can receive unemployment compensation for about 26 weeks.  Or, if you were temporary, if your contract ended.  In both cases, you can receive payments only if you're looking for a job.

But if you quit the job, or get fired, then you're ineligible for unemployment compensation.

Scarblac

• Plantmonster
« Reply #430 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:58 »

And then, when you have no unemployment, is there any other fallback? I've heard of "welfare"?

(in the Netherlands, you also get unemployment benefits for some period, depending on how long you've worked, amount based on your last salary. When that runs out, if you have no other sources of income (like a spouse) and no savings, you'll get some money each month that's just about enough to live).

Oilman

« Reply #431 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:05 »

It can vary state to state, but generally, if you were laid off (the employer needed to reduce staff to make ends meet), then yes, you can receive unemployment compensation for about 26 weeks.  Or, if you were temporary, if your contract ended.  In both cases, you can receive payments only if you're looking for a job.

But if you quit the job, or get fired, then you're ineligible for unemployment compensation.

unemployment benefits vary considerably in UK and in Europe, that's one of the BIG problems UK has with the EU. Broadly speaking you get a fixed period of unemployment benefit (subject to various qualifications - if you quit you may be ineligible for a period, for example) in UK then pass on to various forms of social security. Social housing provision differs greatly from the US model.

Re below, do we KNOW that FAYE has a bona-fide diagnosis of PTSD?
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2015, 02:45 by Oilman »

rschill

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #432 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:07 »

Mending things with Dora won't be easy, but I think a consistent demonstration of consistently changed ways over some period of time could do it.  She'll have to do that anyway just to maintain what she has left.

I'm wondering if she would, should, or could change her mind about moving to NY.  She just pissed away her sweet job and Dora's trust, did Jeph-knows-what with Pintsize, and could very well have vomit drowned.  She might be comfortable where she is, but it ain't making her happy.  Much as the rest of the cast and readership might miss her, I think she'd be better off as an artist in NY and better off with a decent partner close and long good friends distant.  In my experience, long distance friendships are more viable.

phyllis

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #433 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:27 »

I think that, in the last panel, Marten is well aware that Faye's issues go beyond getting blackout drunk, and is asking "she'll be OKAY, right?" because he wants the doctor to assure him that all those issues will be cleared up, not just her physical recovery from this incident. He knows that she can't actually give that assurance, but he's there on his own and worried out of his mind, and he doesn't have a friend there to give him a hug and reassure him that "it'll all be okay in the end" which is what friends generally say to each other in emergencies, even if there's no way of knowing it to be true. Unfortunately the doctor can't fulfill that role, but I think that's what he's asking for. I agree that Marten's natural tendencies would probably lead him to be an enabler, but there are several healthcare staff who will fill him in on why that's a bad idea, and once he knows what't best for Faye, I'm sure he'll do it.

I'm not convinced that going to NY would solve anything for Faye, even assuming that Angus would be interested in renewing their relationship. We already know that he had issues with her drinking when they were together, so this might have thrown any slim chance that they would get back together out of the window.

I would love to see Faye's mum show up soon, although I'm not sure that it's the type of hospital admission where phoning a parent would be the natural course of action--Marten may figure that Faye wouldn't want her mum to know that, you know, she got so drunk that she had to be admitted to hospital.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #434 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:30 »

And then, when you have no unemployment, is there any other fallback? I've heard of "welfare"?

(in the Netherlands, you also get unemployment benefits for some period, depending on how long you've worked, amount based on your last salary. When that runs out, if you have no other sources of income (like a spouse) and no savings, you'll get some money each month that's just about enough to live).

So, outside of unemployment benefits, there's a few separate programs.

There's food stamps (which actually aren't stamps, it's a card) that provide food assistance, there's disability payments (if you have a medical condition that prevents you from working), and there's a few other specific programs that can provide assistance (low income heating programs, that kind of thing). She's also in Massachusetts, which may have some other programs that would be useful.

Faye would likely be able to get on disability easily, given that her alcoholism is driven by her depression and her PTSD. And, going on disability would also make insurance more available to her, as there's more cheap insurance options available to those on disability.

However, would that actually help her?

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #435 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:38 »

Yes, but it is subsistence-level only and only lasts for a few months at best. After that, you are considered willfully destitute and treated accordingly.
Teh.

So the unemployed are blamed for the lack of work.

Thats just like it is here, then.
Carpe Diem

Oilman

« Reply #436 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:51 »

I regularly get enquiries for work in Southern N Sea and Southern Baltic, mostly on windfarms, between about Nov and March. Most of the companies there are Dutch and Belgian, and the Dutch chaps like to work about 30 weeks a year to cherry pick the work, maximise their unemployment benefits and miss the worst of the weather. Can't say I blame them, it's a logical interpretation of the system they have there.

emilygrrl

• Plantmonster
« Reply #437 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:57 »

Hmmmm just a quick thought — given how much Faye drank, might she not even remember being fired? Assuming Marten doesn't know it happened (which seems likely), once Faye gets out of the hospital (if she gets out pretty quick), I could see her sauntering back to CoD, unaware that she's been fired. Ok, not the most plausible outcome in real life, but given QC's nature as a comedy, Jeph might go for the joke.
Quote from: Faye, strip 1462
Aww, it's been FOREVER since I've had to punch you! What a delightful wave of nostalgia!

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #438 on: 27 Jan 2015, 03:03 »

I suspect that the nice young lady doctor will at least partly educate Marten on the subject whilst getting more information on the patient's background and history with alcohol. It will be interesting to see if Marten accepts what she tells him or chooses the route of denial (a comprehensible but dangerous response to being told that someone you love is an addict).
I guess it depends on her view of Marten's role. I guess "roommate" qualifies as "close acquaintance/friend", but not as "next of kin" or "boyfriend". I guess the nice lady doctor will gather information from Marten, but wait to discuss Faye's prognosis and treatment with him until Faye is able to agree to this.

The best way out of depression or self-destruction is usually to tell the patient that someone cares. Marten, Hanners, and Sam will play crucial roles in Faye's recovery.

Oilman

« Reply #439 on: 27 Jan 2015, 03:23 »

Hmmmm just a quick thought — given how much Faye drank, might she not even remember being fired? Assuming Marten doesn't know it happened (which seems likely), once Faye gets out of the hospital (if she gets out pretty quick), I could see her sauntering back to CoD, unaware that she's been fired. Ok, not the most plausible outcome in real life, but given QC's nature as a comedy, Jeph might go for the joke.

Can't see it, myself

pelotard

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #440 on: 27 Jan 2015, 04:00 »

when she fired Faye she threw up some legalize such as bad attitude, rudeness etc when that will have been accepted coffee house behaviour for years and nothing she's ever complained about before.

I still don't think that's what she was saying there. To me, it sounded like she was saying "I can tolerate all that stuff, but not you breaking The One Big Rule."

People drinking on the job is a big no no that will get you insta fired in many places.

Not where I live. The employer is normally required to offer you help with rehab (it's considered a health problem much like e.g. depression). Refusing treatment, however, is likely to land you far up the creek with no obvious means of propulsion. And it sort of presumes that you weren't expected to operate heavy machinery (I don't think the CoD espresso machine counts).
I can see Dora re-hiring Faye, in a junior position, on condition she stays sober and is cooperating with her rehab program. Frankly, as an ex-employer myself, that's what I would do.

pelotard

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #441 on: 27 Jan 2015, 04:10 »

No. That's when the hysteria begins.

If Jeph is off line, by Wednesday, we'll be eating each other.

Proverb amended to read "Civilization is two meals, 24 hours and one QC comic away from barbarism".

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #442 on: 27 Jan 2015, 04:25 »

It's a real problem for us too, and it really hits home for people like me, who've only ever seen alcoholism portrayed as a real illness for men; for women it's always a "party phase" or something else negligible.
Check out "Days of Wind and Roses" (1962).

People always want doctors to tell them everything will be OK.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

McH

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #443 on: 27 Jan 2015, 04:32 »

I can see a role for Dora in motivating Faye to go and do something that will make her happy and give her life meaning. As her long-term (ex) employer she knows what drives Faye and how she can make that work. But I don't see Dora re-hiring her. Trust has been broken and she has a responsibility to her employees, as a boss. Part of that responsibility consists of being clear about rules and consequences. It would erode her authority to go back on firing Faye now. (Also it'd feel wrong from a plot perspective to me personally).

Dora may able to support and help her in other ways though. As mentioned, Faye already got one commission through her. And she can keep tabs on Faye and help get her into a productive rhythm, maybe provide a bit of support with the business side of things. Just because Boss Dora shouldn't put up with her being drunk on the job, doesn't mean that friend Dora can't help her make the most of this.
Each piece of music tells a story. It can be a different story for everyone. It may be different today than it was last year. What will it be in 50? Who knows.

~He who doesn't seek ease, is lazy~

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #444 on: 27 Jan 2015, 04:38 »

Faye can weld and forge metal, although it is questionable if she has any formal qualifications in this field (possible BEng?)... I wonder if she might end up working in the local bodywork shop as on-the-job training? Oddly enough, her personality and attitude might work quite well in the social environment of auto repair! :-D
~~~~

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #445 on: 27 Jan 2015, 04:42 »

I'm actually reading Marten's, "But she'll be OKAY, right?" as guilt on his part - NOT THAT I THINK HE HAS REASON TO FEEL GUILTY.  However, this is Marten.  He's seen Faye drink to relieve stress and pain in the past and hasn't done much about it except mildly admonish her.  He knew she was falling apart after the breakup with Angus and saw her drinking to relieve some of that pain and while (IIRC) he did give her some flak for it, he was more focused on his new relationship and spent more time on that which he would have otherwise spent on Faye - NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.  From the reader perspective, the dude has every right to pursue a relationship and not play Faye's surrogate mother while she's behaving irresponsibly.  But from Marten's perspective, he might feel like he's failed her.  I don't think it's going to have an impact on his relationship with Claire, though - it seems like a knee-jerk kind of guilty reaction that, once Faye is back up, will work itself out.

I actually think moving to New York would be the worst possible thing for Faye right now, because even if Angus did take her back, it'd just be putting a Band Aid over the very serious underlying issues she has that are causing her to drink, and she'd be without a support system should things go south there.  Moving back with her mother might make more sense than New York and would give her more opportunities to address what remains of the scarring from what happened with her dad, but I don't think it'd be the best thing for her either.  Really, she's right where she needs to be - regardless of whatever is going on with Dora, she has all of her other friends in Northampton, and that's what she's going to need most of all right now.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #446 on: 27 Jan 2015, 04:44 »

In most places, you're not eligible for it if you get fired, especially or being drunk on the job. Jesus does not approve of tax money going to support the drunken and/or slothful.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #447 on: 27 Jan 2015, 04:48 »

I'm not convinced that going to NY would solve anything for Faye, even assuming that Angus would be interested in renewing their relationship. We already know that he had issues with her drinking when they were together, so this might have thrown any slim chance that they would get back together out of the window.

NYC is the LAST damn place you want to go if you want  to quit drinking.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #448 on: 27 Jan 2015, 04:49 »

She has no INCOME, that doesn't mean she has no savings. If she's been smart, she should have 2-3 months rent socked away.

Hopefully Faye did have those 2-3 months of emergency money remaining. How else she going to pay the hospital / psych bill? (If she has medical insurance through CoD, that's gone now).

Your insurance doesn't end the same day you are fired. Most insurance still goes through the end of the month you left your job.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #449 on: 27 Jan 2015, 05:02 »

Lady doctor: "I anticipate a full recovery"
Marten: "But she'll be OKAY, right?"
My understanding is that Marten just has problems understanding doctorspeak.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21   Go Up