Poll

Fayepocalypse! What Next?

The hospital waiting room?
- 50 (33.3%)
Faye on a trip down Deriver Denial?
- 26 (17.3%)
Emergency Cast Meeting?
- 45 (30%)
The police station, charged with the assault (or even murder) of Pintsize?
- 9 (6%)
Weird archetype-filled dream sequence for Faye in which she sees her life as a strange Pyroland-like fantasy and is Elightened?
- 20 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2882-2886 (26-30 January 2015)  (Read 140050 times)

McH

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT: 2882-2886 (26-30 January 2015)
« Reply #450 on: 27 Jan 2015, 05:08 »

My understanding is that Marten just has problems understanding doctorspeak.

You mean to say that the man who instantly recognized Iambic Pentameter wouldn't understand "anticipate a full recovery"? Seems like a long shot.
Each piece of music tells a story. It can be a different story for everyone. It may be different today than it was last year. What will it be in 50? Who knows.

~He who doesn't seek ease, is lazy~

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #451 on: 27 Jan 2015, 05:16 »

Depends if "full recovery" and "be okay" are synonyms :mrgreen:

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #452 on: 27 Jan 2015, 05:28 »

Faye recovered from the loss of her dad, but she wasn't okay.

She recovered from her car accident, but she wasn't okay.

She'll recover from this, but...?

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #453 on: 27 Jan 2015, 05:32 »

On the subject of benefits (health/unemployment, etc): remember we're in a world with AnthroPCs and huge space stations. Anything is possible.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #454 on: 27 Jan 2015, 05:36 »

In this context, I'd guess:
Recovery = won't die
Full recovery = will recover to same state of physical health as before.

Mentally, of course, she needs to progress to a BETTER state than before, but that's not for the medic to know much about.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

NemoX

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lonely nobody
« Reply #455 on: 27 Jan 2015, 05:44 »

(I'm roughly 99.99% certain it was Faye who punched Marten.  I mean, what, was one of the nurses going to punch him?)
The only other reasonable explanation would have been that Clinton appeared out of nowhere to punch Marten for not showing up to the date with Claire. And since today's comic show that he (or anybody else) is not around, the only remaining explanation is Faye.
The punch was from a right hand - if it had been Clinton, it would have been pretty obvious  :-)

Looking at the panels again, I noticed I missed the whole blackout time lapse sequence thing. So yeah, it does look like it was Faye. Now, if it was her, was it a "for all time's sake I'm ok I punch you to let you know that thank you" punch or a "you brought me to the hospital? I don't need help fuck off" kind of punch?

I'm really doing a lot of run on sentences lately....

I hope she'll be ok, but I do forsee a long recovery time emotionally, provided that 1) her friends are there to prevent her from spiraling down further and 2) she is not so stubborn as to go in denial and push them away or refuse their help
"Wit is educated insolence" - Aristotle

McH

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #456 on: 27 Jan 2015, 05:53 »

Depends if "full recovery" and "be okay" are synonyms :mrgreen:

That's more to the point, yeah. I don't think so, and I think Marten knows that. He looks kind of panicked/worried, and I think it's dawned on him that this isn't an isolated incident.
Each piece of music tells a story. It can be a different story for everyone. It may be different today than it was last year. What will it be in 50? Who knows.

~He who doesn't seek ease, is lazy~

dexeron

• Obscure cultural reference
    • My Twitter
« Reply #457 on: 27 Jan 2015, 06:27 »

I interpreted Marten's repeating that question as evidence that he understands that this isn't some isolated accident.  That there's a more serious underlying problem.

I wonder if the healthcare worker he's talking to is going to pick up on that and gather some more pertinent information.  How does that work, for you medical folks?  If someone expresses signs/information that there's a more serious problem/potential for later self-harm, do any provisions kick in (like a longer stay, mandatory counseling of some kind, anything like that?)

shrike1978

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #458 on: 27 Jan 2015, 06:29 »

Man these US american problems are so weird to us europeans.

Do you really not have any form of general unemployment insurance over there in the USA ?!?

Yes, but it is subsistence-level only and only lasts for a few months at best. After that, you are considered willfully destitute and treated accordingly.

Also, in many states, it can be limited further or completely eliminated if the employee was released for gross or willful negligence or other serious infractions.  Faye's actions constitute a scenario that would limit her access to unemployment, but I don't think that Dora would actually do anything against her in that.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #459 on: 27 Jan 2015, 06:36 »

In this context, I'd guess:
Recovery = won't die
Full recovery = will recover to same state of physical health as before.

Mentally, of course, she needs to progress to a BETTER state than before, but that's not for the medic to know much about.
Be okay = good physical and mental health. The lady doctor can help with the first. Then, I guess Faye needs an appointment with Dr. Corrine again to fix her up mentally. I have missed Corrine, and look forward to her reappearance. However, Corrine cannot do miracles. Faye's friends also need to do whatever is needed.

Oilman

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #460 on: 27 Jan 2015, 06:43 »

On an unrelated note, does FAYE talk like Jodie Foster?

questionablydiscontent

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #461 on: 27 Jan 2015, 07:05 »

Quote from: Marten Reed
But she'll be okay, right?

In the short term? No, how could she be?
In the long term... I don't think the doctor is qualified to answer that.

pelotard

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #462 on: 27 Jan 2015, 07:18 »

On the subject of benefits (health/unemployment, etc): remember we're in a world with AnthroPCs and huge space stations. Anything is possible.

I live in a place where "medical bills" are a completely unknown phenomenon (that part of this discussion actually baffled me initially). Faye would probably be able to claim around USD 2,000 per month in unemployment benefits, after a 45-day waiting period (since she was fired, which she couldn't have been here under the circumstances in the comic) and for up to a year or so. After that, she might be on welfare @ USD 500 per month, provided she's actively looking for a job.

Where do I order my AnthroPC?

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #463 on: 27 Jan 2015, 07:46 »

One rule for healthcare and ems workers, never say a patient will be ok. A girl I took firefighter 2 with was a flight medic, the one time she told a patient he would be ok, he went into cardiac arrest a few minutes later and died. Faye will make a full recoery from the effects of the alcohol poisoning. That's something a doctor would say, something I might say.

As for the issue of health care, I think it's important to mention. I have brought plenty of people to the hospital who don't have insurance or can't pay. Never, ever, ever, has ANY of those patients been refused life saving or stabalizing medical care. If a patient is serious or critical, they don't even ask for insurance information when we bring them in. We transport to both public and private hospitals.

greekstreek

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #464 on: 27 Jan 2015, 08:15 »

As for the issue of health care, I think it's important to mention. I have brought plenty of people to the hospital who don't have insurance or can't pay. Never, ever, ever, has ANY of those patients been refused life saving or stabalizing medical care. If a patient is serious or critical, they don't even ask for insurance information when we bring them in. We transport to both public and private hospitals.

It is, in fact, illegal for hospitals which accept Medicare to refuse emergency treatment to anyone in the US due to the EMTALA act of 1986. There are a very very small number of hospitals that don't accept Medicare, but I'm sure that local EMTs know about them and just won't transport patients there.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #465 on: 27 Jan 2015, 08:18 »

Marten's question and the wording thereof is a perfectly reasonable thing to expect from someone who is out of his depth but nonetheless scared and concerned for the well-being of someone for whom he cares. The doctor's respinse is a reasonable thing to expect from someone who knows what the words mean.What I see here is the conflict between the doctor's need to be precise and the roommate/friend/layperson's need for reassurance.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #466 on: 27 Jan 2015, 08:34 »

For whatever reason, I can't stop dwelling on how that IV reduces Faye to being one handed.

Restraints seem a far more humane option than crippling someone's hand. There's a bazillion other veins available.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #467 on: 27 Jan 2015, 08:40 »

For whatever reason, I can't stop dwelling on how that IV reduces Faye to being one handed.

Restraints seem a far more humane option than crippling someone's hand. There's a bazillion other veins available.

......What?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #468 on: 27 Jan 2015, 08:42 »

An IV has nothing to do with crippling a hand... It's a needle stuck on with tape. Trust me, you can still use it. You just need to be slightly careful not to pull it out by accident the way I did once. Talk about panicking.

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #469 on: 27 Jan 2015, 08:44 »

Interesting that you interpret it this way as I don't actually feel this way.  I was speculating (something that seems to be okay to do on this forum) that Marten (not me) would consider Dora not calling "a part of the reason" (not the sole reason) that Faye was able to drink herself half to death.

I stand by the reasons for my assumption that Dora didn't call anyone, but hey, I could totally be wrong & I'd have no problem with that.

*Personally* I have no problem with Dora's actions whether or not she called anyone.  She's not Faye's keeper & if Dora feels she needs to put number one first, hey, more power to her.  Marten, on the other hand, is loyal to & protective of his friends to a fault.  At this point in the story, Faye is a lot higher up on his friends list than Dora is & she is in more apparent need of support.  Not to mention that, friends or not, Dora is his ex & people aren't always reasonable when interpreting their ex's behavior.

I can't agree with that. You're basically saying that Marten is a shitlord, and I can't get with that.

Your analysis would hold water IF:

* He and Dora had remained acrimonious after the split

* Dora had in any way expressed jealousy of Padma and/or Claire

* Dora had made Faye "pay" for the breakup by marginalizing her at CoD

* Dora indicated that she blamed Marten solely for the breakup

* Marten indicate that he blamed Dora solely for the breakup

* They hadn't returned, more or less, to the level of friendship they had before they started going out

Then the idea that he would go apeshit on Dora for something she could not foresee or help would at least be plausible.

However, none of the above is the case. Marten and Dora went out. It didn't work out. It was awkward for a while but they talked it out and hugged it out and moved on. There has been NO INDICATION WHATEVER that there is any tension between them. So if Marten does blame Dora for this, then he is a ginormous, passive-aggressive, useless shitlord, and I just don't see that.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #470 on: 27 Jan 2015, 08:51 »

An IV has nothing to do with crippling a hand... It's a needle stuck on with tape. Trust me, you can still use it. You just need to be slightly careful not to pull it out by accident the way I did once. Talk about panicking.

Exactly.

I remember I was once in hospital and the nurse had to remove the catheter for the IV from the back of my hand. Somehow the actual needle had bent and ended up tearing the back of my hand. I'm guessing she was a student nurse because she went off to get help and I was left just dabbing away the blood with the cotton pads.

Kinda funny then, hilarious now.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #471 on: 27 Jan 2015, 08:53 »

Last time I had one I couldn't use my hand at all until it was removed.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #472 on: 27 Jan 2015, 08:56 »

Man these US american problems are so weird to us europeans.

Do you really not have any form of general unemployment insurance over there in the USA ?!?

Yes, but it is subsistence-level only and only lasts for a few months at best. After that, you are considered willfully destitute and treated accordingly.

Also, in many states, it can be limited further or completely eliminated if the employee was released for gross or willful negligence or other serious infractions.  Faye's actions constitute a scenario that would limit her access to unemployment, but I don't think that Dora would actually do anything against her in that.
And in some of those states, it doesn't even have to be gross negligence. The employer need only prove that the employee was breaking policy to deny them unemployment completely.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #473 on: 27 Jan 2015, 08:59 »

Exactly.

I remember I was once in hospital and the nurse had to remove the catheter for the IV from the back of my hand. Somehow the actual needle had bent and ended up tearing the back of my hand. I'm guessing she was a student nurse because she went off to get help and I was left just dabbing away the blood with the cotton pads.

Kinda funny then, hilarious now.

In my case I pulled the connector out for the IV, leaving the needle still in my hand. Basically an open hole straight to a vein. I was panicing trying hit the call button while trying to keep my finger over the end, wound up painting half the bed red...

eschaton

• Furry furrier
« Reply #474 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:00 »

I dunno how much Jeph is alluding to his own experience with alcoholism with Faye, but it's worth noting once again that Jeph.  He had a very bad experience which served as a wake up call he had to quit.  And then he decided to quit cold turkey, from what I can gather largely on his own.  As far as I can tell, he didn't go into rehab.  He didn't join AA.  He had a few slip ups, but he's largely kept sober ever since 2011.  There's no reason for him to make Faye's recovery similar to his own, but on the other hand, having gone through recovery, he knows that if you decide to make the change, you don't need all that external support pushing you.  And I simply don't think it would fit the comic from a story perspective to continue to focus on Faye making terrible choices for a year or something. 

The no AA thing I think is most important.  Jeph is a pretty militant atheist, and you have to explicitly recognize your fate is in the hands of a "higher power" to be in AA.  Jeph has said that if that's what someone needs to quit, that's fine.  But he's also said he doesn't want to write a religious character, because he just feels religion is wrong.  I think Faye has been established to be more blase/neutral about religion, but at the same time, I don't think Jeph would want to elevate a frankly religious organization in his comic, making people think that joining was a requirement if you want to stay sober. 

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #475 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:07 »

Standard medical procedure, and it is not very crippling. There are worse places you can stick needles :mrgreen:

TheEvilDog

« Reply #476 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:12 »

Standard medical procedure, and it is not very crippling. There are worse places you can stick needles :mrgreen:

Yeah, like the crook of an elbow, bloody hell that was painful. And bloody.

Actually I just realised any time I've ever been in hospital with an IV there's been an issue getting the things out.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #477 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:15 »

But he's also said he doesn't want to write a religious character, because he just feels religion is wrong.
Interesting to hear that, because isn't Wil somewhat religious?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #478 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:17 »

I took it to be in his general outlook in life, rather than anything that he's obsessive over. Otherwise he and Penny'd probably not last long as a couple.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #479 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:19 »

But he's also said he doesn't want to write a religious character, because he just feels religion is wrong.
Interesting to hear that, because isn't Wil somewhat religious?
You don't need to be religious to have some belief in an afterlife, I'm a lapsed/agnostic Catholic but I still believe in Heaven.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #480 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:23 »

Actually I just realised any time I've ever been in hospital with an IV there's been an issue getting the things out.
Elbows seem to be preferred for blood samples, but it is probably damned inconvenient having an IV line there. You would not be able to bend the elbow joint.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #481 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:29 »

Elbows seem to be preferred for blood samples, but it is probably damned inconvenient having an IV line there. You would not be able to bend the elbow joint.

I had been in a small lab accident with a corrosive material over heavy gloves. The best veins they could find without risking damage to my hands was near the elbow. Doctors usually love my hands for IVs, the veins are great apparently. Only had the thing in there for an hour or so, so it wasn't that bad.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #482 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:29 »

You know, you guys are making the "AI companion" idea sound more and more like the way Jeph's going to go with Faye...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #483 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:31 »

I had an IV -and- the EKG monitor lines on my left elbow (this was pre-finger light monitor thing), and would set off my alarms if I bent my arm at all.

Which sucked, because I was a side sleeper who preferred her right side.

DillyDolly

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #484 on: 27 Jan 2015, 09:40 »

You know, you guys are making the "AI companion" idea sound more and more like the way Jeph's going to go with Faye...

Hmmm... Well, Faye and May *do* rhyme. They seem to "fit" each others' personalities. May is on parole. Perhaps watching over Faye would count as "paid community service." It would be interesting, but it'd have to be done carefully so not to distract from the whole situation.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #485 on: 27 Jan 2015, 10:13 »

Ugh, blood draws from elbows.

My elbow still acts weirdly with a sudden urge to jerk my arm closed every now and then, after a blood draw 6 years ago. I think they hit a nerve or something.

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #486 on: 27 Jan 2015, 10:14 »

I think most time times I've been in the hospital they stuck the IV on my left elbow, no matter how long I'm staying. Also they usually remove the needle after placing the IV, they can pull it back out from the inside. They fill them with anticoagulants to keep the IV from jamming shut even if you're bleeding internally.

I think Marten just wants to know if she'll be physically ok and would remain stable for the following hours, that she is in the clear. Any mental issue will have to be dealt with during the long road of recovery, and would be less pressing at the moment.

I suppose if the job did came with medical insurance, Dora might 'forget' to file the paperwork of her firing for a few days.

elfly

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #487 on: 27 Jan 2015, 10:35 »

I live in a place where "medical bills" are a completely unknown phenomenon (that part of this discussion actually baffled me initially). Faye would probably be able to claim around USD 2,000 per month in unemployment benefits, after a 45-day waiting period (since she was fired, which she couldn't have been here under the circumstances in the comic) and for up to a year or so. After that, she might be on welfare @ USD 500 per month, provided she's actively looking for a job.

Where do I order my AnthroPC?

I checked and seems some states won't give you benefits if you are fired for drinking on the job.

Then again, maybe Dora won't report it as the reason.

Prolly a pretty terrible stain on the resume.

Meilu

• Plantmonster
« Reply #488 on: 27 Jan 2015, 10:36 »

I'm in the hospital frequently for a variety of health issues. Whether an IV disables your hand or not is entirely dependent upon the skill of the person administering it. It's a far sight better than elbow, in my opinion. When I had heart surgery a couple of years ago, there was a nagging pain from the IV in my hand that irritated me until I was out, but I couldn't get them to move it. Seems minor after the fact, considering I was having heart surgery and all, but at the time I was hyper-focused on how irritating it was. It's possible that it took my mind off of the severity of my situation.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #489 on: 27 Jan 2015, 11:06 »

The no AA thing I think is most important.  Jeph is a pretty militant atheist, and you have to explicitly recognize your fate is in the hands of a "higher power" to be in AA.  J

I guy I knew who was in AA said that, since you choose your own "higher power," if you like you can just have the AA meeting serve as that. The roots of twelve step are definitely religious, but I think there are plenty of atheists in recovery.

Trying to do it on your own, without the meetings, can be a fraught thing. The sponsor and the companionship and the social reinforcement are all important. Without them you can become a "dry drunk," i.e. someone who does not imbibe, but who has never dealt with the demons that made him/her drink in the first place. (See Bush, George W. for an example.)

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #490 on: 27 Jan 2015, 11:06 »

You don't need to be religious to have some belief in an afterlife, I'm a lapsed/agnostic Catholic but I still believe in Heaven.

I can't really wrap my head around the idea of heaven. Since it's like, it can't be that great if it has people in it.

Not really believing, but hoping for reincarnation myself. Seems slightly more reasonable.

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #491 on: 27 Jan 2015, 11:30 »

I assume today's comic will either show Claire or go somewhere completely unrelated to build up tension.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #492 on: 27 Jan 2015, 11:53 »

I think Claire drama or Claire being supportive comes later, unless she comes in with most of the cast.

I predict we skip to Faye waking up or we see what happens when Dora finds out.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...
« Reply #493 on: 27 Jan 2015, 11:59 »

Either Faye waking up or people finding out what's transpired
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

emilygrrl

• Plantmonster
« Reply #494 on: 27 Jan 2015, 12:10 »

I'm in the hospital frequently for a variety of health issues. Whether an IV disables your hand or not is entirely dependent upon the skill of the person administering it. It's a far sight better than elbow, in my opinion. When I had heart surgery a couple of years ago, there was a nagging pain from the IV in my hand that irritated me until I was out, but I couldn't get them to move it. Seems minor after the fact, considering I was having heart surgery and all, but at the time I was hyper-focused on how irritating it was. It's possible that it took my mind off of the severity of my situation.

Oh man. I've had a variety of health issues, too, and have had many IVs in the past. That post just made me shiver, just thinking about your experience. Good job.
Quote from: Faye, strip 1462
Aww, it's been FOREVER since I've had to punch you! What a delightful wave of nostalgia!

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #495 on: 27 Jan 2015, 12:13 »

Lady doctor: "I anticipate a full recovery"
Marten: "But she'll be OKAY, right?"
My understanding is that Marten just has problems understanding doctorspeak.

I just read it as a mix of panic and concern. I'm sure he realizes she's not alright right now, but he's not quite in his happy place at the moment (understandably so).

Faye can weld and forge metal, although it is questionable if she has any formal qualifications in this field (possible BEng?)... I wonder if she might end up working in the local bodywork shop as on-the-job training? Oddly enough, her personality and attitude might work quite well in the social environment of auto repair! :-D

She could also end up at the Secret Bakery. She already knows, and is known by, most of the gang there. It'd give her a bit of distance from her former life -- not so much that she'd feel cut adrift, but perhaps enough that it'd help keep her from lapsing into bad habits. And having Samantha around could also keep her on her toes to some degree.

Faye would likely be able to get on disability easily, given that her alcoholism is driven by her depression and her PTSD. And, going on disability would also make insurance more available to her, as there's more cheap insurance options available to those on disability.

Please understand that I mean absolutely no offense by asking this question, but where in the heck are you from? I know someone with an extensive and well-documented history of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia who applied for permanent disability more than a decade ago. He's still waiting. I know people whose physical limitations have meant they're unable to work any longer who've waited for years also. I know the laws can vary from place to place, but it's not exactly a foregone conclusion that she'd have an easy time getting SSD regardless of her circumstances.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

shrike1978

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #496 on: 27 Jan 2015, 12:18 »

The no AA thing I think is most important.  Jeph is a pretty militant atheist, and you have to explicitly recognize your fate is in the hands of a "higher power" to be in AA.  J

I guy I knew who was in AA said that, since you choose your own "higher power," if you like you can just have the AA meeting serve as that. The roots of twelve step are definitely religious, but I think there are plenty of atheists in recovery.

Trying to do it on your own, without the meetings, can be a fraught thing. The sponsor and the companionship and the social reinforcement are all important. Without them you can become a "dry drunk," i.e. someone who does not imbibe, but who has never dealt with the demons that made him/her drink in the first place. (See Bush, George W. for an example.)

Independent studies (not funded by AA) have shown AA to be a terrible long term solution.  They have no better long term success rate than spontaneous recovery (i.e. the route that Jeph went).  In some ways, they're worse because they convince the addict that they have no control over their addiction, so when they do backslide, it tends to be deeper.  Targeted behavioral modification therapy, customized for the individual, is far better.  It often includes both individual and group counseling.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #497 on: 27 Jan 2015, 12:19 »

Part of it is because of the system being clogged by whole towns that have figured out how to get through the system quickly, because education isn't available to re-train for jobs that aren't hard labor, as I understand. So, maybe small towns in the middle of nowhere may be easier to get disability in than in a state that believes in the social safety net?

In any case, it'd be all relative, and I don't think Faye's bad off enough to actually need disability, nor would it help her most likely.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #498 on: 27 Jan 2015, 12:35 »

Makes sense. And to your latter point, I agree... don't think she needs it, and don't think it'd help if she had it.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

sparklemotion

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #499 on: 27 Jan 2015, 12:50 »

Interesting that you interpret it this way as I don't actually feel this way.  I was speculating (something that seems to be okay to do on this forum) that Marten (not me) would consider Dora not calling "a part of the reason" (not the sole reason) that Faye was able to drink herself half to death.

I stand by the reasons for my assumption that Dora didn't call anyone, but hey, I could totally be wrong & I'd have no problem with that.

*Personally* I have no problem with Dora's actions whether or not she called anyone.  She's not Faye's keeper & if Dora feels she needs to put number one first, hey, more power to her.  Marten, on the other hand, is loyal to & protective of his friends to a fault.  At this point in the story, Faye is a lot higher up on his friends list than Dora is & she is in more apparent need of support.  Not to mention that, friends or not, Dora is his ex & people aren't always reasonable when interpreting their ex's behavior.

I can't agree with that. You're basically saying that Marten is a shitlord, and I can't get with that.

Your analysis would hold water IF:

* He and Dora had remained acrimonious after the split

* Dora had in any way expressed jealousy of Padma and/or Claire

* Dora had made Faye "pay" for the breakup by marginalizing her at CoD

* Dora indicated that she blamed Marten solely for the breakup

* Marten indicate that he blamed Dora solely for the breakup

* They hadn't returned, more or less, to the level of friendship they had before they started going out

Then the idea that he would go apeshit on Dora for something she could not foresee or help would at least be plausible.

However, none of the above is the case. Marten and Dora went out. It didn't work out. It was awkward for a while but they talked it out and hugged it out and moved on. There has been NO INDICATION WHATEVER that there is any tension between them. So if Marten does blame Dora for this, then he is a ginormous, passive-aggressive, useless shitlord, and I just don't see that.

I said that if Dora didn't call him, Marten may feel Dora's inaction is "part of the reason" that Faye is in the hospital.  I said that he may be "upset" if Dora is done with Faye for awhile (even if it is the "best thing" for Dora) at a time when Faye needs support.  Those aren't unreasonable feelings.  I don't think they constitute going "apeshit" or being a "shitlord."  Dora's actions, however, are also not unreasonable.  She's acting in her best interest.  Neither party is "right" & neither is "wrong."

On one hand you have Marten who is exhaustively supportive of his friends & Faye is his best friend.  On the hand you have Dora who, based on her recent Svenectomy & the joy it gave her, is actively removing negativity from her life & Faye is a negative influence right now.  That's conflict & it's interesting.  And, yes, even if they are on good terms now I think it's possible that their relationship history could exacerbate the conflict now.  Faye was one of the main sources of conflict in their relationship & she's the one that could be a source of conflict now.

I could be wrong.  They might be on the same page on all of this.  If you disagree with me, that's fine.  But please do not put words in my mouth past a point that can be explained by semantics.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21   Go Up